2015 X5 Diesel Fuel Pump Problems - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)

X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 5
2015 X5 Diesel Fuel Pump Problems

I have a 2015 X5 diesel. The fuel pump failed at 17k miles sending metal particles through the fuel system. Car just stopped in the middle of the road leaving me stranded for 4 hours until a tow truck with skates could be dispatched. Luckily I was on a residential street and not in the middle of a busy narrow mountain highway where I had been just 20 minutes earlier which would have likely caused an accident and highway closure to allow tow truck access. BMW replaced the entire fuel system from fuel tank to injectors. Just 2 1/2 months later at 20K miles, the EGR(exhaust gas recirculation valve)failed leaving me stranded again requiring a 4 1/2 hour wait for the tow truck.

I love the car but have lost all confidence in it. The thought of taking my family skiing and being stuck at the top of a mountain summit in a blizzard for hours while a tow truck is summoned is frightening to me. In fact, now I'm afraid to drive the car other than too and from work and on local errands for fear of another breakdown.

Don't know if this a diesel issue or what. I bought the $70K+ car to avoid breakdowns like I had in high school when all I could afford was beater cars. But my beater cars, while not high performance, were more reliable.

I've had a 2012 335, 2013 BMW X3, 2016 X4 i28 all gas engine cars with no engine issues, but am afraid I have a lemon on my hands with the X5. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our X5 forum, you'll get more feedback in here.

Tim
Old 12-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 3.5d & 330xi
2015 X5 Diesel Fuel Pump Problems

Ouch! Sorry to hear. I'm about to get an X5 d, so interested in hearing what others have to say on this.

If you haven't already, you should talk to the head of the service department at your dealer and ask them to request a BMW trade assist, as you no longer feel safe driving this one.

Mine: 2017 X5 3.5d Space Grey | Black Dakota | Fineline Oak | /// M-Sport w/ Adaptive M Suspension + 20" 469M | ZCW | ZDA | ZDB + ACC Stop & Go | ZPP | Multi Contours + Comfort Rear Seats | Rear Window Shades | Parking Assistant | HK Stereo | Apple CarPlay

Hers: 2017 330xi Alpine White | Venetian Beige | ZPP | ZDA | NAV | Apple CarPlay

Previous:
2014 535i /// M-Sport w/ 704
2011 Range Rover Sport HSE LUX
2009 535i
2007 525i
2002 330ci

BMW CCA # 309838

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 5
2015 X5 Diesel Fuel Pump Problem

I spoke to the Dealer Service Mgr and BMW Corp Cust Relations. They both said that with only 2 different failures they could not assist in getting me out out the lease short of paying off the year and half left on my lease and walking away, or pay off the lease, pay the residual value and try selling it on my own. Both of these would be costly. They referred me to a salesman who specializes in leases to see what it would cost me to get out of the lease.

They did hint that if I have a 3rd failure, they might be willing to assist me in getting out of the lease. Not sure what I'll do.

The Service Mgr said that my repairs are rare. They have not had many reliability problems with the X5 diesels. Only fuel pump problems I can find on internet forums are from 2007-2010 range. Corp Cust Relations confirmed that the high pressure fuel pump is the same one that is on the gasoline engines as well. So maybe I just got unlucky with 2 debilitating failures in a row.

Other than the failures, I love the X5 diesel. On a 2 1/2 hour open highway trip, I got 34.7 mpg at just under 70 mph. I get 29 around town. Amazing for a heavy vehicle. The X5 is the perfect size and volume capacity for me. It is quiet, extremely quick off the line, and a beautiful athletic SUV. It is space gray with black interior. I equipped it with leather dash, $4500 Bang $ Olufsen sound system(worth every penny though most would never pay for it), M-Sport, contour seats(a must) and pretty much the works. Which is why I'm so sad it has not been reliable.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 3.5d & 330xi
Good luck! Hopefully it's fixed now.

Mine: 2017 X5 3.5d Space Grey | Black Dakota | Fineline Oak | /// M-Sport w/ Adaptive M Suspension + 20" 469M | ZCW | ZDA | ZDB + ACC Stop & Go | ZPP | Multi Contours + Comfort Rear Seats | Rear Window Shades | Parking Assistant | HK Stereo | Apple CarPlay

Hers: 2017 330xi Alpine White | Venetian Beige | ZPP | ZDA | NAV | Apple CarPlay

Previous:
2014 535i /// M-Sport w/ 704
2011 Range Rover Sport HSE LUX
2009 535i
2007 525i
2002 330ci

BMW CCA # 309838

Old 12-31-2016, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Sounds like my 13 X5d. Traded a year before warranty up. Just got tired of
all the emission issues. Was traded with under 20K. Even with low miles
had a feeling was having carbon build up. Due to sluggish performance
Old 12-31-2016, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 3.5i 2016 Audi A5
I feel your pain! Had an E90 that went through 2 fuel pumps in a short time (gas). One was on the ramp to a freeway.

Back then BMW had a bunch of bad fuel pumps. Brutal problem since the car just dies. If you have a third failure, that should qualify for the le on law (in most states).
Old 09-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
I have a 2015 X5 diesel. The fuel pump failed at 17k miles sending metal particles through the fuel system. Car just stopped in the middle of the road leaving me stranded for 4 hours until a tow truck with skates could be dispatched. Luckily I was on a residential street and not in the middle of a busy narrow mountain highway where I had been just 20 minutes earlier which would have likely caused an accident and highway closure to allow tow truck access. BMW replaced the entire fuel system from fuel tank to injectors. Just 2 1/2 months later at 20K miles, the EGR(exhaust gas recirculation valve)failed leaving me stranded again requiring a 4 1/2 hour wait for the tow truck.

I love the car but have lost all confidence in it. The thought of taking my family skiing and being stuck at the top of a mountain summit in a blizzard for hours while a tow truck is summoned is frightening to me. In fact, now I'm afraid to drive the car other than too and from work and on local errands for fear of another breakdown.

Don't know if this a diesel issue or what. I bought the $70K+ car to avoid breakdowns like I had in high school when all I could afford was beater cars. But my beater cars, while not high performance, were more reliable.

I've had a 2012 335, 2013 BMW X3, 2016 X4 i28 all gas engine cars with no engine issues, but am afraid I have a lemon on my hands with the X5. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Just had the exact same issue with my X3 diesel (2015) ... thank goodness I had just got off the busy freeway in rush hour and was on street
Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staced View Post
Just had the exact same issue with my X3 diesel (2015) ... thank goodness I had just got off the busy freeway in rush hour and was on street
Replaced entire fuel system, pump, tank, lines, injectors etc...

Went to pick up car on Saturday, husband and the porter said it sounded funny, lifted hood could smell exhaust...master mechanic came out and said it had exhaust leak, left it there for 4 more days to repair, picked up on Tuesday sat for two days after I drove it home, drove maybe 50 total miles from dealer to home to dr appt back home, check engine light on, back to dealer and fault code shows bad EGR, service advisor tries to tell me it's unrelated to the other issues or repairs made...ummmm exhaust leak and EGR sound to be something related to the exhaust to me!
Hoping I don't have any further issues
Old 01-24-2018, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Just had the exact same issue on my 2017 X5 with less than 6000 miles. Also lucky in that my wife just exited the freeway and then the warning light went on and the car's engine died. She was in the right hand lane of a local road so was able to pull over. Six days in the shop to replace all the diesel components,.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 911 Turbo
X5 D - dead fuel pump

Similar to the other posting, my X5 died on a side street - if on the 405 or 101 I would have been a deadman. My 2015 with 25k had to have entire fuel system replaced - under warrantee for $12,500.

They told me that CA has Biodiesel % over 5 that caused the failure - not sure I buy that excuse given BMW's have a reputation of bad fuel pumps. Additionally as a consumer - there is no way to tell biodiesel percentages in #2.

For a car just over $80k you would think this would not have happened - but my confidence in driving it is going out the window. We have a 750 IL that has been bullet proof with 50k miles.

Anyone else out there with the same problem?
Old 01-25-2018, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxman View Post
They told me that CA has Biodiesel % over 5 that caused the failure - not sure I buy that excuse given BMW's have a reputation of bad fuel pumps. Additionally as a consumer - there is no way to tell biodiesel percentages in #2.
In the owners manual for an '18 X5 35d they specifically prohibit anything over 5%:
"The fraction of biodiesel in the fuel must not exceed 5 %, referred to as B5."
Mobility>Fuel>Diesel

It would be interesting to check the '15 manual to see if the language was added.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:17 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
... not sure I buy that excuse given BMW's have a reputation of bad fuel pumps. Additionally as a consumer - there is no way to tell biodiesel percentages in #2. ...
BMW buys BOSCH CP.3 HPFP. I believe BOSCH is single source.

California mandates biodiesel fraction.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: X5D/F15,X2/F39,MINI/R52
Quote:
Similar to the other posting, my X5 died on a side street - if on the 405 or 101 I would have been a deadman. My 2015 with 25k had to have entire fuel system replaced - under warrantee for $12,500.

For a car just over $80k you would think this would not have happened - but my confidence in driving it is going out the window. We have a 750 IL that has been bullet proof with 50k miles.

Anyone else out there with the same problem?
"Additionally as a consumer - there is no way to tell biodiesel percentages in #2."

Can you or anybody else tell what "#2" refers?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrover View Post
"Additionally as a consumer - there is no way to tell biodiesel percentages in #2."

Can you or anybody else tell what "#2" refers?

Thanks!
Fuel Diesel is #2. Kerosene is #1.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 01-25-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
2015 X5 35D High Pressure Fuel Pump Problems

This happened to me too! In January 2015, I purchased a 2015 X5 35d (diesel) model. I purchased the "car of my dreams" after happily owning another BMW X5 (2001 with over 250 K miles on it) and after shopping around for a reliable luxury SUV that would get better gas mileage. Over the next two years, I loved my X5, serviced it faithfully, and recommended it to friends.

On Friday the 13th of October (2017), I was driving at 65-70 mph in the 4th lane of a 6 lane highway here in Atlanta when my car, without warning, jerked and a "drive train malfunction" message came on the screen. By some miracle, I avoided a collision and got my car onto the shoulder before it died. After 1.5 scary hours of sitting partially on the highway off-ramp, I was towed to the dealer thinking this would be covered under warranty whatever it was - the car is less than 3 years old!

However, a few days later, I was informed that there was a "catastrophic failure" of the high pressure fuel pump. The service adviser assured me that that I did not cause it, had no warning of it and could not have prevented it. That failure (described as the HPFP disintegrating) caused metal shavings to break off, damage the fuel injectors and spread throughout the entire fuel system requiring replacement of the system at the cost of $15,000! I was then told that my X5 was out of warranty because of the mileage (I drive my sons to lots of baseball tournaments so I went over 50K miles after this summer). I asked BMW NA to stand behind their vehicle and repair it under warranty because no 2.5 year old vehicle, especially a BMW, should have this happen to it. Indeed, no pump failure, no matter how catastrophic, should require replacement of the entire fuel system! It is like a fuse blowing out and causing the entire electrical system to fail.

As a lawyer, I researched and saw that several lawsuits have been filed over these HPFPs and that BMW has recalled over 150,000 vehicles and extended the warranties on many of the HPFPs to 120K. Unfortunately, that does not, apparently, include my 2.5 year old vehicle, even though it experienced the same type of failure and the pump was made by the same company (Bosch) out of the same material (just a different part number).

After I complained and threatened to sue, BMW NA offered to fix the vehicle at warranty cost and to contribute 50% of the repair charges, but to me, a single parent with a child entering college next year, that is still over $6,700 that I had to pay to repair the car, or roughly 10% of the original cost of the vehicle.

I asked BMW NA to increase this contribution to 75% (which represents my being approximately 25% over the 50K mile warranty), but he flatly refused. I also asked him to assist in my warranty claim with Bosch, because Bosch said that since the pump was installed by BMW during manufacturing, the claim must go through BMW NA. He told me that would have to be done through BMW NA legal. Again, they refused - I sent a certified letter to BMW legal and got NO response.

When I picked up the vehicle, I also collected the parts. The tech that repaired the vehicle said he had seen 3 other diesels with this same problem this year at that location!

I was so upset with this experience and so worried that it would happen again (and I and/or my kids could get killed the next time), that I traded in the car for a loss after paying the 6,700 and bought a Lexus. I lost about $10K on this. I am considering filing a class action. If anyone you know is interested, leave a message here.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Nuclear engineer

A Georgia state or Federal class action?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 F 82
wow you guys have me worried now. I crossed the 3 year mark on my x5d Iím only at 18k mi. But Iím gonna start worrying after dec when warranty expires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 F15D

past
2014 Msport F01 retired 2011 F01
2008 E60
2006 E65
2002 E65
2002 E46
1998 E37
1995 E35
Old 03-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi
I can almost guarantee that bio-diesel is messing up your fuel and EGR systems. It's highly possible that what you think is B5 is actually B7 or B10 or something else. There are specific problems in my state, but in other states, what guarantee is there that the blend is correct? I highly recommend looking for premium diesel, D2, or something that has no bio blended whatsoever.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/in...threads/50136/

"The issue with biodiesel concentrations greater than 5 percent is related to the post injection cycle. Diesel fuel is injected into the exhaust stream after combustion has taken place in order to regenerate or reduce accumulated soot in the DPF to a far smaller volume of ash.

Normal diesel fuel is almost entirely exhausted as a vapor into and consumed in the DPF downstream of the cylinders. In the case of biodiesel however, it has a higher distillation temperature and can remain liquid, sticking to the cylinder walls during the post non-combustion cycle which in turn allows some fuel to wash past the rings and into the crankcase causing crankcase oil dilution. Within the crankcase, any diesel fuel that moved beyond the rings would normally evaporate whereas biodiesel and its higher flashpoint does not.

Another adverse chemical property of biodiesel is it tends to interact with and or competes with ash suspension, detergent, viscosity stabilizers, and lubrication additives of modern day diesel engine crankcase oils. The end result is increased engine wear as biodiesel percentage in the crankcase oil builds."

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011
2013 X3 35i, Old Fashioned Dealer Delivery, July 2012
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

BMWCCA #350568
Old 03-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Official Bangle Hater

Mein Auto: '01 X5 4.4i, '00 M5
The biodiesel has nothing to do with the fuel pump issues, in fact the lubricity in biodiesel helps with lubricating the pump.

I own a GMC Pickup truck with a diesel and have learned all about the Bosch diesel fuel pump issues.

When Bosch designed the pump, they didn't take American diesel fuel into consideration. The lubricity of our fuel (SCAR rating) is less than Bosch designed the pump to manage.

Canadian diesel has more lubricity, that is why you see less failures up there.

When the pump dies, the bearings shread and contaminate the fuel system. The shreds of metal go all over the fuel system, clogging the injectors. That is why it is such an expensive job to repair the system - all the fuel system has to come out.

This exact situation happens on the Duramax Diesel and Ford Powerstroke engines - both use the Bosch fuel pump (might be slight variation, but same concept).

What you should be doing is adding a diesel lubricity additive. If you run in northern climates, you should be adding an additive to your diesel in the winter anyway to avoid gelling.

The highest rated lubricity agent is a product by Opti Lube. It is called Opti Lube XPD and you can find it on Amazon and perhaps a local store near you. It is expensive but will help in preventing this fuel pump from blowing up on you. It also has a anti-gelling additive which is good down to -10F.

Hope this helps. This is a Bosch issue.

Chris
Old 03-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M5 View Post
The biodiesel has nothing to do with the fuel pump issues, in fact the lubricity in biodiesel helps with lubricating the pump.
Chris
I agree that biodiesel has better lubricity than non-biodiesel. I recently read this and was initially surprised.

What I then cannot reconcile is why BMW is advising against higher than B5 biodiesel blends. You would think they would advise the opposite if pumps were failing due to inadequate lubrication.

In my MY18 owner's manual for a 35d, they prohibit using anything above B5 as I posted earlier in this thread.

It sounds like there may be more to it. What do you think?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M5 View Post

I own a GMC Pickup truck with a diesel and have learned all about the Bosch diesel fuel pump issues.

When Bosch designed the pump, they didn't take American diesel fuel into consideration. The lubricity of our fuel (SCAR rating) is less than Bosch designed the pump to manage.

Canadian diesel has more lubricity, that is why you see less failures up there.

When the pump dies, the bearings shread and contaminate the fuel system. The shreds of metal go all over the fuel system, clogging the injectors. That is why it is such an expensive job to repair the system - all the fuel system has to come out.

This exact situation happens on the Duramax Diesel and Ford Powerstroke engines - both use the Bosch fuel pump (might be slight variation, but same concept).

What you should be doing is adding a diesel lubricity additive. If you run in northern climates, you should be adding an additive to your diesel in the winter anyway to avoid gelling.

The highest rated lubricity agent is a product by Opti Lube. It is called Opti Lube XPD and you can find it on Amazon and perhaps a local store near you. It is expensive but will help in preventing this fuel pump from blowing up on you. It also has a anti-gelling additive which is good down to -10F.

Hope this helps. This is a Bosch issue.

Chris
What about all those bits of french fries I keep finding at the B20 pumps?

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011
2013 X3 35i, Old Fashioned Dealer Delivery, July 2012
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

BMWCCA #350568
Old 03-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Official Bangle Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
I agree that biodiesel has better lubricity than non-biodiesel. I recently read this and was initially surprised.

What I then cannot reconcile is why BMW is advising against higher than B5 biodiesel blends. You would think they would advise the opposite if pumps were failing due to inadequate lubrication.

In my MY18 owner's manual for a 35d, they prohibit using anything above B5 as I posted earlier in this thread.

It sounds like there may be more to it. What do you think?
Unfortunately, I can't answer your emissions/performance related questions....I have just done a lot of research on the Bosch fuel pump issues and wanted to give everyone some background as to what was going on...it is affecting many, many brands, including BMW.

This all started when 'ultra low sulfur' diesel came on the market...the sulfur provided the lubricity in the past, now it's gone....

It is a $12k job to fix a Duramax diesel, as a friend has this happen. BMW isn't alone....

Chris
Old 03-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Official Bangle Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
What about all those bits of french fries I keep finding at the B20 pumps?
Get Ketchup!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
A Georgia state or Federal class action?
I would think a Nationwide class would work. Any takers, I'm thinking of drafting a complaint this weekend.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search