325i top and trunk issues - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
325i top and trunk issues

So a month ago I wanted to put the soft top away and put the hard top on. It was 20 degrees in the garage here in wisconsin and the top seemed to not move or work well. I assume the cold temps were part of it. I pulled the motor release after the top seemed to interfere with the cover door and made some awful snapping noises. I put the top down manually and my neighbor and I set in place the hard top. since then the trunk will not open, car running or not. The key switch was not set to a lock position. I have been reading many threads about this issue,

Today I used the passenger door key and could hear the trunk unlocking then locking again. I was able to open the trunk if i pressed the trunk release button almost instantly after opening the door lock. Not a great system. but for today with two people, AKA missile silo tech ... I can get in the trunk. My question is ??? do I unplug the solenoid actuatior near the trunk lock I think ?? or move the bronze bar part of the trunk interlock ??? to make things easier until spring or early summer when I need to figure out what is wrong and get the powered top working again ( hopefully ) after getting the motors back in the operate position..

If you can, please give me your best temporary fix and be specific as I have never seen any of these pieces except on a youtube video. Any advice would be appreciated. This is a high mile 1995 bmw 325i convertible.

I will have more questions in the summer when I try to actually get the powered top system back to a normal operation and configuration.. Thanks very much Scott in wisconsin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: pending
The passenger side dip switch in the tonneau is not compressed. Push down on the passenger side tonneau and you will hear an electrical sound of the lock releasing. hold the tonneau down and push the lock. YOu can tighten the latch cable or tighten the hardtop to push it down.

As for the machine gunning, you have a bent tonneau motor plate or worn the gears due to improper meshing.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto:
I got the hard top off,and reset the two gear drives. I tried the reset but hear one motor click, then the other. The tonneau cover is still not fully closed. I hit the up position to sync, but have read that down is the actual way to reset. The other issue is that after I removed the hard top and opened the tonneau I could not lift the convertible top up... this was with the gear drives not locked in place yet. ?? I thought I should be able to lift the top.

I also pushed both the little plastic sliding pieces out of their tracks and dont see how to put them back in and attach the springs. Anybody have a video or fix for that ?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto:
I decided to try a local bmw and porsche shop. All fixed, not very expensive. There was a bent piece of metal that needed to be put back into shape and put back under the tonneau cover . Very happy now.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
325i, interlock, lock, problem, top, trunk

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search