95 325i bad DME - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-23-2019, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto:
95 325i bad DME

Hi guys it's me again, so about 6 months ago i bought a non running 1995 325i auto that had a wet DME, when i got it it had a red bosch 413 in it (car was built 02/1995 so should be silver 413 with EWS II) so anyways the guy i bought it from said the DME was dead so i went on eBay and got a new red 413, plugged it aaaand nothing at all, engine cranked fuel pump didn't turned on, i had no spark and no injector pulse plus no check engine light, so i continued to diagnose it i found out that the crank sensor was bad so i got a new one, then the crank sensor wires were cut so i repaired them (made no difference) found out that almost all of the pins in the DME connector were loose i pushed them back into place and still nothing, DME has a good relay i got battery power at the connector i have communication with a scanner.
Long story short I'm stumped and i can't find why it doesn't work.
Additional information: i have 3 DMEs the red 413 that came with the car a new red 413 and a turner chipped silver 413, crank sensor is new and OEM and battery is good.
Anyways thanks a lot hope you can help this newbie out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto:
Update. i checked continuity of the coil and injector lines and they all checked out alright, everything seems fine at the DME but it just doesn't work, could it be that the EWS is still active even with the bypass chip and green wire cut?
The EWS module is still connected as is the ring antenna and signal amplifier.
I also tested with another EWS2 module from another 95 325i and it did the same issue, cranks but it doesn't even try to start
Old 04-26-2019, 06:09 PM
Screamin demon

Mein Auto: 1995 325ic
Yes 95 come with a silver label ews2 dme. But you can use a red label dme the same to become ews1. So, you can go about checking door locks and junk by locking and unlocking all of them. You can test the fuel pump by jumping the pins on the fuel pump relay in the fuse panel.
You can see if the dme is sending voltage to turn on the fuel pump relay. If your posative all those are good, besides the dme not swnding a signal, double check your ews bypass. I mever had to cut any green wire in my cars, bit i did have to cross the 2 large wires at the module to gain cranking. Theres also the gear selector switch for park i think, the brake pedal safety switch i think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto:
So i finally did it!!!, I fired up my car, hopefully this will help someone with the same issue as me.
So a friend of mine bought an exact copy of my car (both cars are 325i's sedan both made in 1995, mine in February and his in march same color even) i took his car to the shop where i have my car and put them face to face to compare why one works and the other doesn't, first i tried my silver DME and my EWS module on his and then his car didn't started, so i plugged a red 413 and the car fired right up so now i know my DME-EWS combo works then i plugged it back on my car and i still didn't had crank signal pulse on the coils but i now had injection pulses, so i removed my brand new crank sensor and installed his OEM used sensor and my e36 now had signal to the coils, at that moment i knew it was going to work, so i sprayed starting fluid and it finally fired up after a year and a half of sitting around going from one shop to another and changing hands a couple times i fixed it.
Other things to point out; i found many questionable repairs done to the car like wire jumped fuses (two of wich power the DME) plus at least 3 wrong relays, remember guys these BMWs have many different types of relays and even if they look similar the diagram can be totally different.
So there you have it that's how i fixed my e36 after 6 grueling months diagnosing it, now i just need a new fuel pump and a DME relay and she'll be on the road ASAP
Thanks to all and hopefully ya'll find this useful

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search