Playing my music - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Playing my music

I have an enormous music collection on disk. Looking ahead to the features of the forthcoming F31 (i.e. whatever additional entertainment features may become available during 2013), would someone please explain to me:

1) Will I be able to upload the files onto the vehicle's hard disk?

2) Will I be able to access the music hierarchically, either by its folder structure or some other structure I identify? This would entail being able to easily select the tracks on a single CD for play.

3) Would a Nav or Tech upgrade affect these capabilities?

4) Would an H/K music upgrade affect them?

It would be equally OK if the system recognized a large USB drive rather than storing the files internally. My main concern is hierarchical access.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
I have an enormous music collection on disk. Looking ahead to the features of the forthcoming F31 (i.e. whatever additional entertainment features may become available during 2013), would someone please explain to me:

1) Will I be able to upload the files onto the vehicle's hard disk?

2) Will I be able to access the music hierarchically, either by its folder structure or some other structure I identify? This would entail being able to easily select the tracks on a single CD for play.

3) Would a Nav or Tech upgrade affect these capabilities?

4) Would an H/K music upgrade affect them?

It would be equally OK if the system recognized a large USB drive rather than storing the files internally. My main concern is hierarchical access.

Thanks.
1. Yes, if you have the NAV.
2. Yes, importing preserves the directory structure.
3. Yes, no HD without NAV.
4. No (AKAIK).

Without the NAV, the car will play from USB sticks. I've used up to a 32GB stick.

I think BMW only supports FAT32. I just tried a 64GB stick formatted with exFAT32 and the car did not recognize it. I know it also does not support NTFS.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 AM

Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
It's annoying, each import goes to its own folder (USB1, USB2) so the "best" way is one album at a time, tedious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Also, on my 2009 328ix hard drive, when you uploaded an album, it would arrange the songs within alphabetically, instead of by track order. So if I were listening to an album I valued for its continuity and I wanted the songs in the order the artists and label intended, I had to change the song name to lead off with the track number. Anyone know whether this is still the case?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaMomo View Post
It's annoying, each import goes to its own folder (USB1, USB2) so the "best" way is one album at a time, tedious...
Yes, and I thought this was going to limit the searching capability to one USBx at a time, requiring you to upload one album at a time, but it does not...the searching capability (artist, album, genre, etc.) searches across USB's uploaded, indeed, it appears that it searches the entire 'Music Collection'; i.e. everything you've uploaded to the HDD whether from USB or CD.

Also, it matters not that the .mp3 files are all in the root folder of the USB drive or in various folders. This last is convenient for me as I had three USB drives loaded with music that I used in the Lexus the Bimmer replaced (the former could play from a USB, but not upload it to the vehicle's HDD). The files on the USB's had been copied from my desktop's music collection within their individual folders.

I've made some additions to those USB's and later today will be uploading them to the 328xi's HDD. Yes, I could, and will from time to time plug in my iPod (which allows you to use play lists), but it's nice to have a goodly music collection readily available without having to connect anything.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM

My music is organized conventionally in folders as, e.g., "Music/Jazz/Rollins, Sonny/Way out West", with a file for each track on the recording. I don't care whether the system recognizes this structure on its own hard drive or on an external drive, but surely I can select music by navigating through this folder structure?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
My music is organized conventionally in folders as, e.g., "Music/Jazz/Rollins, Sonny/Way out West", with a file for each track on the recording. I don't care whether the system recognizes this structure on its own hard drive or on an external drive, but surely I can select music by navigating through this folder structure?
I don't think so, unless I'm misunderstanding you. It's not like navigating Windows Explorer. It will categorize it more like iTunes: by genre, artist and album, but exactly not like a directory tree. But even doing it this way, you should get what you want.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 35d
I think you can navigate by folder and file, at least to some extent, but the search function is like iTunes; album, artist, genre.

For this to work properly, the file metadata does need to be correct. If you've ripped CD's through iTunes, or similar tool, the metadata will be correct (title, artist, album, # on album, genre, etc.).
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM

At home I use MediaMonkey on a PC. It replicates my folder structure, which encapsulates the logic of my music collection. With classical music you can have more than one Symphony No. 2 in D major, and perhaps even more than one recording of Beethoven's Symphony No. 2 in D major. At present I don't store all that information in the tags, but I can if I need to. And I certainly don't have to travel with multiples versions of the same composition.

My greatest interest was to learn how the available packages/options affect the music capabilities, so I will know what to order. I don't understand why the Nav option would add multimedia features, as apparently it does, but, in any case, I'm gradually becoming persuaded that the latest release of the Nav system might actually be worth the price...sorta, kinda.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
I have the base line F30 with the standard music system and no NAV. I have a usb thumb drive plugged into the usb port in the arm rest. My music is orgainzed the same as yours and I can navigate the contects of the thumb drive using i-drive and play individual subdirectories ("CDs") with no problem. If my basic system can do this then I have to believe that the F31 system will do this as well.

edit: FYI, the directories are displayed in alphabetical order but once you drill down to the mp3 files in a subdirectory then those are displayed and played in their orignial, track, order.

Last edited by jlukja; 01-02-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: updated info.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search