Sport automatic transmission w/o Sport Line - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Sport automatic transmission w/o Sport Line

Someone please reassure me that, for an ED, BMW will happily build me an F31 with the sport automatic transmission, but not the Sport Line. This will be my first vehicle with AT (I'm sure I'll figure out how to use it eventually), but I need the paddle shifters to keep from going into withdrawal, if not, in fact, into a retaining wall. But I don't want to pay for styling (although I completely, totally and with all my heart respect those of you who do). Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Sorry. Bad news. No Sport or M Sport line, no sport automatic. ED doesn't get you anything extra in the way of available options. Do you not want a sport suspension?

Did you decide against the X1? You can get a manual tranny with that.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-04-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 PM

Well, I keep hearing there are certain options dealers can fulfill that don't show up on the Website, so I was hoping. (The Rosetta Stone is easier to decipher than this stuff.) Isn't my money any good with these guys?

I for sure want xDrive and I do also want the adapative M suspension, which, if I understand correctly, will not lower a vehicle with xDrive (that's good for me). I don't think I want the Sport Line's sport suspension, however, but I'm still learnin'. If I remember correctly, the first car I owned didn't even have a suspension...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
Well, I keep hearing there are certain options dealers can fulfill that don't show up on the Website, so I was hoping. (The Rosetta Stone is easier to decipher than this stuff.) Isn't my money any good with these guys?

I for sure want xDrive and I do also want the adapative M suspension, which, if I understand correctly, will not lower a vehicle with xDrive (that's good for me). I don't think I want the Sport Line's sport suspension, however, but I'm still learnin'. If I remember correctly, the first car I owned didn't even have a suspension...
on an X drive, you dont get sport suspension, regardless of line. you get the base suspension, the only option is the adaptive M suspension.

ED does not open up any more options that are not avail stateside. usually priority 1 options (the unlisted options) are fairly basic ones, like headliner color, or some interior/exterior finish that is usually not available. for the F3X i dont believe there are currently any priority 1 options.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Past: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Past: 2016 F34 335i xDrive ZCW/ZDA/ZDH/ZTP/ZMP/2V5/5DL
Present: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i
Quote:
Someone please reassure me that, for an ED, BMW will happily build me an F31 with the sport automatic transmission, but not the Sport Line. This will be my first vehicle with AT (I'm sure I'll figure out how to use it eventually), but I need the paddle shifters to keep from going into withdrawal, if not, in fact, into a retaining wall. But I don't want to pay for styling (although I completely, totally and with all my heart respect those of you who do). Thanks.
Don't do it man!! If you're coming out of a manual and you think the paddles will fulfill that hole left from the MT, they won't. I never use the paddles, its gimmicky. Even shifting the sport auto shifter doesn't do it for me. You can't replace the 3rd pedal with gimmicks.

I was in your position, and thought the same things. You've been warned, I haven't found an AT that makes me not miss the MT. Don't get me wrong, AT can be good in traffic and daily commuting, but boring and completely lacking that connection to the vehicle.
2012 F30 335i Sedan - BSM, Sport Line, PP,Tech,HK,CW,DA2
2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast

BMWCCA #471315
Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 AM

I take your point that paddles won't substitute for the experience of manually shifting. Still, I read that the sport transmission is faster and quieter, and there are times on dirt roads when I want to be able to decide what gear to be in. I guess I can still do that with the knob for the standard transmission. It just seems annoying not to be able to order a performance option for the Ultimate Driving Machine that has no logical connection to my choice of doorsill. This seems like a marketing error by BMW, in terms of what they should want to promote about their vehicles. It's an entirely different matter not to offer manual for the wagons; I can accept that, even if I don't like it.

Btw, tturedraider, the X1 does not have a MT option. You can, however, get a steering wheel with paddle shifters for only $120. The X1 is a great vehicle to drive, but somewhat yesterday's news being delivered today.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
I take your point that paddles won't substitute for the experience of manually shifting. Still, I read that the sport transmission is faster and quieter, and there are times on dirt roads when I want to be able to decide what gear to be in. I guess I can still do that with the knob for the standard transmission. It just seems annoying not to be able to order a performance option for the Ultimate Driving Machine that has no logical connection to my choice of doorsill. This seems like a marketing error by BMW, in terms of what they should want to promote about their vehicles. It's an entirely different matter not to offer manual for the wagons; I can accept that, even if I don't like it.

Btw, tturedraider, the X1 does not have a MT option. You can, however, get a steering wheel with paddle shifters for only $120. The X1 is a great vehicle to drive, but somewhat yesterday's news being delivered today.
Yeah, I was quite surprised to find that. I thought they were bringing over the manual for the four banger.

The X1 may be a little older technology, but take it from an E90 owner, the technology is still great. If you're still planning on going on unpaved roads some I actually think the X1 is the better choice. Another trust me - trust me, you would love the X1 35xDrive, even with the "old" six speed step. And you could get the shift paddles. And you could get the 300 hp inline six at a very reasonable price. In the long run I predict you would be very, very pleased you had the inline six.

In the new 3er setup the non-sport models are being marketed to consumers who aren't as interested in the sporting characteristics of the 3er. So, the sport auto is logically reserved for customers most interested in the more sporty versions of the 3er. Consumers like you who want a no-line model yet want the sport auto are very few and very far between.

Again, from what I gather you're looking for, I think the X1 35xDrive is the value proposition.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-05-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
The sport line is a little more than styling as well. You get sport seats and steering wheel (way better than stripper IMO). If you get DHP you don't have to be stuck with a stiffer suspension.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Thanks for the heads up on the X1. The wife read about it and said she wanted to replace her GLK with an X1. I didn't think she was serious, but now I am going to test drive one.

The fact you can still get hydraulic steering is fascinating. Also her having a BMW opens up some more options for my car choice too.

Even if I end up with an ATS, having an X1 still earns me the privilege to talk to BJ.

Last edited by dtc100; 01-06-2013 at 08:59 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search