STI to M3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 STi OBP
STI to M3

Well here it is folks... I am a new member on the board and i will be switching over to an m3 as soon as i get rid of my sti.

Current:
2007 Obisdian Black Pearl Subaru WRX STi
COBB TBE
COBB APv2
EWG
38mm Tial WG
Dumps to Atmosphere
Intake
05 tails
05 trunk/ wrx wing
05 skirts
debadged everything

etc
etc
etc

no point to go on

*car looks like a wrx unless you know sti's*

I have finally gotten tired of throwing money into my car and i am looking to drive something a little bit more professional to my taste.

I have been looking for 03+ M3's but all of them around have about 50k... i would like to know if there are any big problems or things i should take care or be worried about buying an m3.

I am trying to drive a reasonable DD *the sti has too small of a tank i fill everyday and the suspension is rough on roadtrips* I would like to grab an m3 and HOPEFULLY not be a moron and keep the car as close to stock as possible. Good Idea? How do you think i will feel from an sti to an m3? Hoping that since the m3 doesn't come turboed ill keep it that way =X THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS

-Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
you are a long time dead

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 SMG vert
I would recommend looking at 2003.5 and newer...not that older models are bad, but the 2003.5 model year made some improvements [LED tails for one] and also the rod bearing issue has been covered. and then consider 6MT or SMG, which really is a user choice.

Some owners think that the new M3 will never replace the E46 for lookss and handling, so the E46 will hold it's price well...try looking for 2004/5/6 with low miles and price them out...Finally, try to get a warranty of some kind , best as a BMW Certified vehicle.

good luck
Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 STi OBP
well i am trying to sell my sti as is because i do not feel like parting out all the parts because Subaru has a ugly turbo map for the stock map, and i have a nicely tuned conserved map for my sti... after this happens i am trying to pick up an m3 the next day and have it tinted when i leave the dealership. yeah, i have read up a little every day and 2003.5 is the best bet for me, but what kind of mileage is reasonable to buy a used m3 and when do i need to start replaceing EVERYTHING? should i just go with a 330ci? i really do not like anything with less then 250hp *manual* because i feel like i get uneasy when the crazy drivers around me try to run me off the road *last week an 18 wheeler tried to just join my lane as i was just crusing RIGHT next to him ....* thanks a lot for the help

-Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
you are a long time dead

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 SMG vert
yes..I was lucky in that I bought a 2004 vert that had been lightly used...never winter driven and low milage...I paid enough for it, but it is mint...I do not drive it from November through to the end of February...keep looking, they are out there....
Old 09-15-2008, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3
I made the same switch you are contemplating. I had a chipped 2006 STi. Glad I made the switch, but I definitely miss the Subie sometimes.

In favor of the switch: The M3 is WAY more comfortable, luxurious and grown up. No turbo lag and linear acceleration all the way to redline is very intoxicating if a bit anti-social around town. 50-50 weight balance in the M is very nice as well. You can really feel it in the corners.

On the negative side, I have to say the STi felt an awful lot faster once chipped. You will really, really notice the drop off in torque - nearly 100 ft/lbs more for the Subie vs. the M3. AWD is pretty special, especially here in the Northeast. I also much prefer the gearbox feel in the Subie.

I don't regret the decision at all, they are just different driving experiences.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
lets see see pics of the STi, and why did u go for the 05 lights?

'08 BMW 535i - Sport - Sport Trans - JB4 - Catless DPs - Intake - E85 -
'07 SUZUKI GSXR-750 - Gray/Black - Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust -
'03 BMW 525i - Sport -
'98 Ford Expedition - 5.4L - 4WD - Eddie Bauer - 8 seater -
'03 BMW 745i - GONE -
'09 HONDA CBR600RR - GONE -
Old 10-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgardnerma View Post
I made the same switch you are contemplating. I had a chipped 2006 STi. Glad I made the switch, but I definitely miss the Subie sometimes.

In favor of the switch: The M3 is WAY more comfortable, luxurious and grown up. No turbo lag and linear acceleration all the way to redline is very intoxicating if a bit anti-social around town. 50-50 weight balance in the M is very nice as well. You can really feel it in the corners.

On the negative side, I have to say the STi felt an awful lot faster once chipped. You will really, really notice the drop off in torque - nearly 100 ft/lbs more for the Subie vs. the M3. AWD is pretty special, especially here in the Northeast. I also much prefer the gearbox feel in the Subie.

I don't regret the decision at all, they are just different driving experiences.
I went from an 06 with protune, 20G, suspension, and basically everything... to my Z4 M Coupe. I miss the torque explosion but that is about it. I personally am really happy I made the switch. If anything, I am considering a bug eye WRX as a second / winter car. The other thing that has not been brought up is that I always felt like my Subie had something to prove where I do not feel that way with my BMW. I

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search