Time to Change It Up? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E92 335is
Time to Change It Up?

Not a new member, but first time poster.

My first BMW was a '05 330ci ZHP. The only changes I made were adding E92 Sport wheels w/Potenza RE760s (same sizes, more aggressive offsets) and ST Coilovers. Power/torque was OK, but obviously I was more interested in handling which was pretty damn good after those two changes. It had the usual amenities being the Performance Pkg (Harmon Kardon, full power, moonroof, M Sport kit as well as great sounding factory exhaust).

Five years later, I traded up to a '11 E90 335i Sport Pkg w/BMW Power Kit. At the end, I had changed the factory 18's to factory 19" 230's w/PSS tires and 10mm spacers, Eibach Springs/Koni dampers and upgraded the "Base" stereo system. This time, no shortage of power/torque and handling was pretty damn good again.

Last year, I had to get rid of the E90 and on short notice/needing a car, I found a '13 E92 335is. Power/torque is there, but it's not nearly as linear as the E90 335i w/BMW Power Kit. Consequently, it's a bit more "aggressive". Again, I upgraded the suspension to H&R/Koni and added 10mm spacers all around so the handling is there. But...

After 12 years of owning 3 Series cars, I'm finding that I need a bit more cargo space (and def need four doors). Unfortunately, Because of finances at the moment, I'm limited on what I can trade up to. I DID find a 2017 X1 X28i M Sport (fully loaded) w/low miles and 2 1/2 yrs left on the Certified Warranty. I drove one for about a month so I know it will do what I need, aside from losing power that I"m used to and lose a little bit of handling.

So my dilemma which is why I"m coming to you to get ideas/opinions and maybe some insight is this: I can trade to this X1 M Sport or I can hold on to my 335is for another year or two and find a CPO X3 M40i (which def has the power, fully loaded and sounds damn good) or a CPO X2 M35i (same thing, just in a slightly smaller/sportier package). All three would be fully loaded obviously (Harmon Kardon, options, M Sport).

So any ideas, thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm really on the fence with this one. I really enjoy my 335is, but there comes a time when you've gotta start thinking about family and function, but that doesn't mean I can't get something that I will still enjoy driving (which is why they are all M Sport, fully loaded and Harmon Kardon equipped). I really wish I had the ability to keep the 335is and add the X as the second car or vice versa, but at this point it's just not feasible.

Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing some thoughts! Stay Healthy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW & Porsche
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Good first post!

I'm lucky enough to have a multi car stable to address these concerns. If I was forced to get rid of my sportier cars (Boxster and M3) and fall back to just the '14 X3 3.5 with M sport pkg, I would be feeling sport-deprived. The X3 is primarily my wife's car and family truckster when more room is called for, although the M3 is plenty roomy for ordinary tasks. From everything I have heard, the G01 X3 M40i sounds perfect to scratch your performance itch while having the room and utility you need with a family. A definite step up in sport from the F25 X3 I am familiar with. And I am considering upgrading to the X3 M40i soon.

All that said, I have driven none of your candidates, so perhaps an X1 or X2 or even recent X3 owner will chime in with some more useful comments.
BMW CCA #115780
Old 03-30-2020, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E92 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Good first post!

I'm lucky enough to have a multi car stable to address these concerns. If I was forced to get rid of my sportier cars (Boxster and M3) and fall back to just the '14 X3 3.5 with M sport pkg, I would be feeling sport-deprived. The X3 is primarily my wife's car and family truckster when more room is called for, although the M3 is plenty roomy for ordinary tasks. From everything I have heard, the G01 X3 M40i sounds perfect to scratch your performance itch while having the room and utility you need with a family. A definite step up in sport from the F25 X3 I am familiar with. And I am considering upgrading to the X3 M40i soon.

All that said, I have driven none of your candidates, so perhaps an X1 or X2 or even recent X3 owner will chime in with some more useful comments.
Thanks!!

I've driven all of the cars I've talked about with the exception of the X1 M Sport. But I DID drive a regular X1 through one of the local canyons that I drive (it's the alternate route to Santa Barbara which includes elevation changes, high speed curves, very scenic), and the X1 did a pretty good job handling it, so I can only imagine how much better the X1 M Sport would do.

I also had the opportunity to drive a 2016 X3 35i M Sport and I really enjoyed that one. Again, it doesn't handle like my car (which is comparable to an M Car thanks to my suspension/tire upgrades), but it still had plenty of power, exhaust sounded pretty good and was pretty fun to drive. I actually looked at one of these, but it being four years old means it's out of warranty and I won't buy a BMW without a warranty.

I'm not in a mad rush to get into an SUV (or SAV as BMW calls it) since there has only been a couple of instances where we needed the SUV function, so I'm just trying to decide if I should jump on the 2017 X1 M Sport or wait a couple of years until my finances (current loan gets out of the red since I've only had it for 18 mos) will allow me to look at leasing a new/loaner X3 M40i or X2 M35i.

The lady isn't helping because as much as she ALSO wants us to get into any of those SUV's, she loves the 335is (especially the handling and the exhaust).

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search