Cargo space numbers & trans question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 89 535i
Cargo space numbers & trans question

Hey all, I'm in the early stages of tracking down a new car for my family. And looking online I've seen two different sets of cargo numbers for the X1. Some sites, like u.s. News, say ~15 cu ft with seats up and ~45 with the rear seats folded. Other sites, like caranddriver, say ~25 cu ft with the seats up and ~55 cu ft with the seats down.

Any idea which is accurate? It looks more like 25 based on pictures but there are none close enough that I've been able to go see them in person.

Finally, in manual mode does the car let the driver have full control(can you get to the rev limiter and let revs drop) or does the car shift gears at high and low RPMs even in manual mode?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
We were looking at cargo space numbers as well when we were choosing cars, and found those numbers to be completely irrelevant. The only way to know if it's going to be enough is find a car, bring a bunch of stuff with you and see how it fits. More often than not you'll be able to fit what you need just fine. The other times there are cargo boxes or hitch decks, etc.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Is it possible you're picking up stats from the 2011-2015 model and from the 2016+ model? The two are on totally different platforms.

"Cargo room behind the split rear seatbacks is modest at 27.6 cubic feet, and with the rear seatbacks folded flat it expands to an equally modest 63.3 cubic feet. Then again, if you need a really big cargo hold, the X1 is probably not the right choice." This is what I see on NCTD.com which is usually a reliable car info source.

https://www.newcartestdrive.com/reviews/2014-bmw-x1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 03:27 PM

No, definitely E84 I've seen both numbers.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com.../2014/interior

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wrap-up-review

And, unfortunately, the closest E84 is 50 miles away, so although I'm hoping to go drive one soon and get a feel for it; the cargo numbers threw me off so I was hoping to figure it out sooner.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci, MZ3, X1, 330i
Based on my manual, the cargo with seats folder up is 25cuft. The rear seats can be tilted which might explain differing numbers.

Regardless, I agree with vstolner. Numbers don't mean jack if the cargo area has odd bumps and portrusions that work against your utility. Best is for you to check it out yourself and bring along a few typical things (strollers, golf bags, IKEA's Billy Bookcase, etc...).
Old 01-31-2017, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
I've also seen various numbers for the cargo volume. Note that SUV volumes are calculated based on the total volume from the dimensions of the space so right up to the roof. I find the cargo capacity of my X1 to be decent, though not as much as some compact SUVs like the CX-5 or CR-V. Best thing to do is see one, drop the seats and remove the cover, and see what to space looks like.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i
I find that the cargo area is deep enough. The real limitation is that it's only about as wide as my driver, and that's only after the wheels. All in all, I think it's pretty good space for the size of the car, but its more like what you would expect from a large hatchback than an SUV.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Comparing cargo volume is tough. The data and normative terms are different almost everywhere. Go to BMW, Edmunds, and a few different major car publications. You will probably get 3 different terms and 2 different numbers.

I am going through the same exercise with a few different hatchbacks. Cargo volume between the rear seat and hatch is a main consideration for my next car. I have seen it called everything from "trunk volume" to "cargo volume" to "luggage volume" to "cargo capacity"

Sometimes they mean the volume behind the rear seat and below the cargo cover. Sometimes the area above the cargo cover. Sedans often include the volume of the trunk PLUS the area above the rear "parcel shelf" (the area between the headrests and rear windshield). Frustrating!

Basically, the numbers are very hard to compare 1:1. I have given up on comparing numbers. My new strategy is to physically bring items with me and test fit them in the car (stroller, carseat). At the end of the day, that matters more than a number on paper.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Here's a good discussion of the cargo volume issue. Confirms my belief that you really have to see the vehicle and check it out yourself.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/0...tch-the-truth/
Old 02-01-2017, 04:22 PM

I think that he 25 makes sense, and like I said ill try and see one in person soon enough.

If I had to wager, I'd guess that 25 is to the ceiling and 15 is below the cargo cover as lemansteve was getting at.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
It seems deeper than the Golf which I had previously, maybe by just a few inches. It's still kinda small. We have another car if we need to haul more stuff, but for normal use, this would be enough. I could pack a lot into the Golf though! Just gotta get creative and make use of every space.... But it still is nothing like our RAV4. It's like a TARDIS -- seems roomier on the inside than it looks on the outside!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Is it possible the number difference is due to the removable cargo cover/shelf? With it on, it does reduce the cargo space since you couldn't pile cargo up to the roof, but only up the the top of the back seats.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
Ok, I measured roughly, kind of hitting the midpoints, and I got 12 cf below the cover and 20 to the roof. That's less than the 15/20 stated above, but it's in the ballpark so, yeah -- with and without the cover.

I think it's a bit larger than the Golf, but not by a whole lot. It seems a bit longer in the hatch, as I seem to have more room when I put a container in there, but I dunno.

At least it has split rear seats. I test drove one car (I think it was a Mercedes C300) which didn't have seats that folded at all! Just a pass through for the small trunk. Ugh. It's not like you often need so much room to haul, but it's nice to have the option.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search