X3 E83 Code Reader and Diagnostic Tool - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto:
X3 E83 Code Reader and Diagnostic Tool

Hi there

Have used your site many time as a great source of advice and wisdom when tackling jobs on my Manual 2007 E83 2.0 Diesel. However, this time I need some advice as to where to turn to buy a diagnostics tool for the car.

And apologies in advance if I have missed the post answering my question - I spent a good bit of time checking various posts but couldn't see an obvious up-to-date post that was relevant.

I read many time about people suggesting to 'scan the codes to identify the problem'. Well my machine has started trowing a 4x4 light followed a bout 5 secs later by a ABS and brake caption. Its occurrence is pretty random - sometimes it appears after just a few minutes of driving and on other occasions you can drive for 30 mins before it appears. It doesn't seem to be related to any particular manoeuvre (maneuver).

The transfer box and actuator were replaced about 10k miles ago so I'm guessing its probably an ABS or steering sensor - but which one?

Whats a good tool to buy to read/identify/clear the necessary codes?

I could go to a dealer - I have rung around and all of them want around £80 - £100 for the privilege so it seems to me that, for a little more, I could probably buy my own reader and do the job myself - but which one? A software based solution that I could load onto my Windows laptop would be attractive.

If im going to buy one it would be useful to buy something that would also allow me to force DPF regeneration and check EGR, glow plugs and other useful stuff. Note I'm in Aberdeen Scotland, UK.

Look for ward to the answer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
It depends on how much you want to be able to do. I opted to order a cable and download/install INPA and ISTA and am very happy with that decision. Others prefer a handheld reader. The cable is cheap and download is free, just time-consuming. If you are interested in going the full software approach, Frisbeeguy gave me the details in this post. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1322327

The cable I ordered from Amazon is linked in the same post. Others can give you feedback on handheld units.

Cheers
James
Old 04-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2008 X3
I have had good success with the Creator C310 for code reading/clearing. Whether it would be useful for the diesel tasks you note, I have no idea, sorry. It's handy to keep in the car.

On the other hand I have not had success getting my copy of ITSA to work

07 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with tan leatherette interior - 141k miles
08 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with black leather interior - 121k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto:
I use 3 different tools:
1. basic OBDII scanner that can be had just about anywhere for very little - this will tell you generic OBDII codes that are related to emissions only, no BMW codes.
2. OBD Fusion and a low power bluetooth adapter for use with my idevice - this will allow you to do the same as the basic OBDII tool, but will also allow you to pull live log data for chasing engine related problems.
3. ISTA+/d on my laptop using the correct cable purchased from eBay - this will allow you to view all BMW specific codes and will allow you to do specific work to your car like transfer case. It should tell you if a wheel sensor is bad.

I'm guessing you're in the UK, which shouldn't really make a difference. Since you stated a preference for software you could install on a Windows laptop, then ISTA+ is the solution for you! First you need the correct cable. They should be no more than about $30US. Just make sure you get the correct cable for your car. I have a 2004 which uses K CAN. I think around 2007, they switched to D CAN. My cable does both. Then start looking to get the software you need. It's time consuming to find exactly what you need, but you need to understand how the software works anyway, so this research isn't wasted time. ISTA+ is not super intuitive, but it does work and it's what your dealer uses, so it's the right tool for the job.

Check out Chopper's link above, or take a look here:https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1023698. EasyBmwTools or Dave's install seem to work well. You'll need to consider prepping your laptop as well (AV can cause problems). Here's another link with info about setup: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=936877.

Hope that helps. ISTA+ has been invaluable to me.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: 04' X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangermouseX3 View Post
I have had good success with the Creator C310 for code reading/clearing. Whether it would be useful for the diesel tasks you note, I have no idea, sorry. It's handy to keep in the car.

On the other hand I have not had success getting my copy of ITSA to work
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...highlight=mega
Old 04-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi there everybody and many thanks for your replies. I am definitely going to do a bit of research on the ISTA+/d approach, although it looks as if I will need to free up some space (and other programs) on one of my laptops in order to do it justice.

In parallel I have been scouring for other solutions and come up with what appear to be some promising options and I wonder if anyone has experience in using these. They are:

- Foxwell NT 520 handheld - sounds as if it can do pretty much all I am looking for - cost £125 to £195

- BimCom software for windows - used with a USB lead or Bluetooth adapter sounds a very powerfull piece of kit - cost around £250 - £300

- Maxi ECU software for Windows - again used with a USB lead - also sounds very capable - cost £100 - £160

The two software solutions seem to be produced by small companies in Czech Republic and Poland so not sure how good the support is.

Look forward to your comments
Old 04-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Sorry to hijack or thread drift here Snowy but itís a chance to ask the question myself!

I have the Carly app and dongle, on my current F11 this is able to do all sorts of stuff. Iím about to lose the F11 and will be getting into an E83 3.0d.

Any opinions on Carly?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 04-06-2019, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi alsd

Funny old thing, I was looking at some of the reviews for the Carly readers today and trying to figure out the same! They look a pretty powerful piece of kit, but then I saw someone say the Foxwell handheld is far superior so I would also welcome users opinion on this too.

Turning to my immediate problem with the 4x4/ABS, I was speaking to a very knowledgeable BMW technician today and he was almost certain that the problem was down to a steering position sensor calibration issue. Unfortunately he lives 250 miles form where I am! Apparently very easy to fix with the right kit, but not a common feature of most DIY readers - does the Carly have this feature for your F11?
Old 04-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto:
I have Carly that I purchased to code my new battery for my 1 series. It was $50 with the battery add-on, but it did the job. If I knew then what I know now, I would have just used ISTA+. I don't have the Carly adapter, so I don't get many of the features, so it's been kind of useless to me. On top of that, they have changed their pricing structure to a monthly fee to use the software. No thanks! Even though I have Carly, I think I've got everything covered with the 3 items I listed in my post above.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 E83 2.0d 177 HP
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post as I recently bought a EML327 OBD2 reader trying to check the DTC codes of the car myself. So I saw this thread and registered.

I used the adapter with the free Car Scanner app and got what I think may be just generic DTC codes, since I looked for them in internet as BMW codes without any success. The retrieved DTCs are the following:

C0A6E
C00B4
C00E9
C0A4E
C0C9E
C00A4

According to the C they appear to be "Chassis Codes", so I tried to convert the number as a Hex into Decimal, but the codes resulted and confronted with a website I found

http://enginetroublecode.com/c-codes.html

do not seem to be very realistic, since they point to engine problems which are not evident as of right now.

Does anyone know what I am talking about, or have I just gone crazy with this issue ?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2019, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by papax3 View Post
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post as I recently bought a EML327 OBD2 reader trying to check the DTC codes of the car myself. So I saw this thread and registered.

I used the adapter with the free Car Scanner app and got what I think may be just generic DTC codes, since I looked for them in internet as BMW codes without any success. The retrieved DTCs are the following:

C0A6E
C00B4
C00E9
C0A4E
C0C9E
C00A4

According to the C they appear to be "Chassis Codes", so I tried to convert the number as a Hex into Decimal, but the codes resulted and confronted with a website I found

http://enginetroublecode.com/c-codes.html

do not seem to be very realistic, since they point to engine problems which are not evident as of right now.

Does anyone know what I am talking about, or have I just gone crazy with this issue ?

Thanks!
I don't find references to C codes like that in a quick google search. I'm not sure what OBDII connector you purchased, but if it's wifi or Bluetooth and you are using a mobile device to read the codes, I would suggest spending the $10 ($5 if it's an Android device) to purchase ODB Fusion and see if it works with your device. OBD Fusion not only will allow you to see pending and set codes, but will also allow you to monitor data trending. Let us know if that works.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 sport
If you're working on the car yourself there's two things you need to be able to do; scan the BMW specific codes and and code the part to your car if required. For example if you need to replace the steering angle sensor it needs to be coded to your car. A lot of the handheld's will read the BMW codes but not let you code a new component. I have both a handheld (c310) and the cable and software. My X3 is high mileage so I just leave a handheld in my glove box. Makes for a quick scan

For coding the best bet will be to get the cable and download the software. This lets you code new components and test components like the cycle the radiator fan to test it's different modes or the cycle the ac compressor.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: Miata, Tracker
I bought the C310 and threw it in the round file, bought a AUTEL 519 for less than a hundred bucks and bingo, works great on the 330 and X3
Old 08-25-2019, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
You want to have a good tool to read/identify/clear the necessary codes with such mentioned price about 100 pounds, I think FOXWELL NT510 is a good one including engine, airbag, transmission, ABS, SAS; especially DPF regeneration like you want. Check out more review here https://obdsolaris.com/bmw-scan-tool/ . But i think there are more options for BMW scan tool. but with this price, I just recommend Foxwell

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
code reader, diagnostics, obd, x3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search