Are X7 wheel sizes a deal breaker? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X7 (2019 - Current)

X7 (2019 - Current)
The BMW X7 is a sport utility vehicle manufactured by BMW. It is BMW's flagship Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)

Old 06-01-2019, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Are X7 wheel sizes a deal breaker?

Hi,
New to this forum (and BMW) please pardon the length post... I have been researching the X7 for awhile and drove it this weekend. Loved the car, but would love some feedback based on our situation. We live in the SF Bay area and head to Tahoe most winter weekends. We go past the resorts to a property on a sketch road with a bad driveway... our neighbors all drive subarus or chevy trucks. too many visiting cars have gotten stuck in our driveway for me to list. For the past 5 years we have managed with a Land Rover LR4 with Pirelli Winter Scorpions in the winter. This was a dedicated Tahoe car, and during the week I drove a Volvo XC90 around town. Not an ideal setup for many reasons... not the least of which is that the POS LR has literally been in the shop half the time.
So... we are ready to try the single car approach. I would get the off road pkg, but the problem comes down to wheels. I would get non-run flats and a spare, but tire options are so limited at 21" and even more so at 22" I don't think there are any Winter rated all weather tires in either size. I would already be in for over $100k so I could buy extra wheels and tires, but I think its a bad idea to drive in snow tires from nov-april in dry 50+ degree weather mid week. I am not sure if putting aftermarket 20" or 19" wheels on this car would be wise.
In theory we can wait until the end of the year when both the 2020 x7 and the 2020 Mercedes GLS are available. There could also be some competitive pressure on pricing at that point too.
But I would rather get the X7 now. Our volvo is leased and due in June. The LR we own and it is thankfully under warranty until june 2021. It only has 50k miles but is still so unreliable that I don't know that I want to drive it as my only car for more than a month or 2. Current GLS I don't think is so great in snow. Plus, I do have 3 kids but don't want to look like every other soccer mom in town the X7 looks sharp.... even with crumbs all over the backseat.
What would you do in this situation? I have heard in the past that you are only as good as your tires.
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
It's far easier to get a dedicated set of rims and tires for winter driving. That makes switching them out easy, and a one-hour DIY job if you have a spare tire and a floor jack. The last time I checked, M-B doesn't offer non-RFT's as options. For that reason, we didn't even look at the GLC. Their solution to the RFT problem is to call them "extended mobility" tires.

If you're worried about pot hole vulnerability, it's not the wheel diameter that matters. It's the sidewall height. The X7's standard 21' wheels have 285/45's, which equates to five inches of sidewall.

We'll eventually need a winter tire and wheel package for our G01 X3. ShopBMWUSA.com actually has a good selection of them at reasonable prices. But, it's not showing a package for the X5 or X7. Maybe that will change soon.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:59 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks. The problem with a dedicated winter setup is that I can't realistically change my wheels every Friday and then change them back on Sunday. And it is 50-60+ degrees for most of my mid-week winter driving. It seems the temperate climate niche has been forgotten about. Does anyone know if there are any 21" all-weather tire options on the horizon (non run flat)? Or if the 2020 X7 will have a 20" wheel option? I pressed my dealer on the lack of tire options and got the "oh you'll be fine on the stock tires" answer, which didn't instill a lot of confidence, especially after a record-breaking snow year in Tahoe. I was about to order the X7 today but this issue is bothering us and we may just jump ship and pre-order the GLS instead. Sight unseen, but at least it would have 20" or 19" wheels, which opens up tire options. Am I the only one in a tire dilemma about the X7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 01:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Go search for "winter tires" and "Doug Hoffman." He's a regular here and lives in Wisconsin or somewhere, and has an E70 X5. He uses Noki-something-or-other tires made in Finland, and they are supposedly true winter tires, but with a capability for withstanding higher temperatures. I profess to be an expert in a lot of subjects, but living in Floriduh means that winter tires isn't one of those subjects.

I enjoy solving problems "profoundly." I'm also retired, with way too much time on my hands. If I was doing the SF-Tahoe weekly commute, I probably would swap tires for the trip in the winter months, but I'd have a Quick-Jack, pneumatic wrenches, air supply, etc. Then, I'd use my stopwatch to time how long it took me to swap out the tires, and I'd put those times in an Excel spreadsheet. I'd then compile that data into a graph, and show it to Frau Putzer. She'd say "meow, meow, meow...," which is Cat-ese for "I'm not listening to you."

Last edited by Autoputzer; 06-04-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshark View Post
Does anyone know ... if the 2020 X7 will have a 20" wheel option? I pressed my dealer on the lack of tire options and got the "oh you'll be fine on the stock tires" answer, which didn't instill a lot of confidence...
Looking at the BMW part database...it appears that the X7 does have a 20" winter wheel (and tires) available. It is the V-spoke 750 Wheel style. Click the following link to go directly to the part database where you can click on the diagram for the 20" wheel to get it's specs...you can also see what tire brands that are currently offered (more may be available if you search for the BMW recommended tire size and if you use a tire size calculator, you may be able to find other compatible tire sizes that would be within the usual 3% (+/-) range:
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/EN/search/...X7+50iX/USA/36
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 06-08-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '16 GLE350
We live in the northeast and I run Bridgestone Blizzaks on both of our cars. One of which is a '19 GLS450. Previous MB lease was almost up so last August we ordered the '19 GLS as at that time there was uncertainty as to the release dates for the new GLS and the X7. I intentionally did not select the appearance pkg to get the 19" wheels and when it arrived in November, I put the Blizzaks on shortly after. Stock tires are "ok" but you already know the benefits of a dedicated winter tire. If it were now, I would wait for the 2020 GLS, but you're not going to see that until later this year. In regards to your tire choices if you go to having the X7 as just one vehicle, I see what you're saying about the temps during your mid-week driving. There is the Nokian WR SUV G3 which is an "all weather" tire. The Nokian WR line is rated for snow but can be used year round. I used to have a set on a rwd e39 528i years ago. I'm not 100% sure but I think the stock X7 tires are 285/45/21. The G3 closest available size is 265/45/21. The G4 is available as a 275/45/21. Neither one is exact but they get you close in regards to overall diameter and speedometer.

Gone: '16 GLE350, '06 LR3 HSE, '14 320i 6MT ZSP ZPP ZLP ZCW PCD 5/14, '12 ML350 diesel, '11 Accord 5mt, '10 MDX, '08 Accord 5mt, '06 Xterra 6mt, '98 528i, '95 Mazda Millenia

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X7 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search