Mileage Check In... - Page 30 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707 View Post
Love seeing that this thread is still going... and truly impressed by the mileage/reliability you guys are posting. I traded my original 2004 3.0 @ 100K for a 2008 X3 3.0si CPO with ~25K on the clock. Got that one up to 130K and just traded in August for a 2016 xDrive 2.8... and I miss the 2008 terribly.

Seriously thinking about buying my 2008 back...
I never updated this. I did indeed buy the 2008 back that same week. At the end of the lease this month, I returned the 2016 X3 and now only have the 2008 X3, which is now at 162,000 miles.

I moved to a new city in April and yesterday took the 2008 into the local BMW dealership for the passenger seat mat recall. That went fine - they gave me a 2019 X5 loaner (sweet - but BIG). They also performed a courtesy "multi-point inspection". Here are the "recommended services" and costs they came back with:

- New tires mount & Balance: $979.32 (Agree, it's about time)
- 4-Wheel alignment: $189.97 (Agree, never had one)
- Replace auto transmission mount (worn/loose): $991.10 (Maybe agree)
- Replace thrust arm bushing: $829.60 ?
- Replace lower control arm: $674.72 ?
- Replace valve cover gasket: $1,105.56 (Not leaking bad. Replaced once w\ coils @ 100K)
- Replace oil pan gasket: $2,466.99 (Not leaking bad)
- Replace serpentine belt: $74.23 (Likely agree)
- Replace serpentine belt tensioner: $519.12 (Likely agree, went thru a noisy period)

Grand total: $7,830.61

I'm having a hard time justifying putting that much into it... and still have engine, transmission, gearbox, water pump, etc. with 162,000 on them.

The worn automatic transmission mount is probably legit. I have noticed a "side to side squishy-ness when the transmission shifts under strong acceleration. Post move, I no longer have the tools or a place to do any of the work myself - so that is out.

Also - I would be driving it less than 4,000 miles a year now (work from home, everything is close, etc.)

I will very likely do the tires & alignment (no brainer), serpentine belt and belt tensioner, which will all run @ $2000 total with tax.

The valve cover and oil pan gaskets have a ways to go before they need replacement and hopefully the transmission mount, tension strut/thrust arm and lower control arm bushings have some more life before they have to be replaced.

Also going to check and see if there are any reputable independent BMW mechanics in the area.

Then again, part of me says to trade it in as is and add the $2000 to the down payment on a new/newer vehicle.

Decisions decisions... any thoughts or advice welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: X3, 442, S15, Silverado
Quote:
I never updated this. I did indeed buy the 2008 back that same week. At the end of the lease this month, I returned the 2016 X3 and now only have the 2008 X3, which is now at 162,000 miles.

I moved to a new city in April and yesterday took the 2008 into the local BMW dealership for the passenger seat mat recall. That went fine - they gave me a 2019 X5 loaner (sweet - but BIG). They also performed a courtesy "multi-point inspection". Here are the "recommended services" and costs they came back with:

- Replace valve cover gasket: $1,105.56 (Not leaking bad. Replaced once w\ coils @ 100K)

- Replace serpentine belt tensioner: $519.12 (Likely agree, went thru a noisy period)

Grand total: $7,830.61

I'm having a hard time justifying putting that much into it... and still have engine, transmission, gearbox, water pump, etc. with 162,000 on them.

The worn automatic transmission mount is probably legit. I have noticed a "side to side squishy-ness when the transmission shifts under strong acceleration. Post move, I no longer have the tools or a place to do any of the work myself - so that is out.

Also - I would be driving it less than 4,000 miles a year now (work from home, everything is close, etc.)

I will very likely do the tires & alignment (no brainer), serpentine belt and belt tensioner, which will all run @ $2000 total with tax.

The valve cover and oil pan gaskets have a ways to go before they need replacement and hopefully the transmission mount, tension strut/thrust arm and lower control arm bushings have some more life before they have to be replaced.

Also going to check and see if there are any reputable independent BMW mechanics in the area.

Then again, part of me says to trade it in as is and add the $2000 to the down payment on a new/newer vehicle.

Decisions decisions... any thoughts or advice welcomed.

You bought it back, youíd be wanting to buy it back again. I too was fortunate enough to buy back my Ď08 a year after selling it.

Thrust arm bushing is way out of line. A set of bushings is like $60 and a competent shop can knock them out in 2 hours. Even at $125/hr and a part mark up youíre at $350. Control arms can come off, but not required, as part of that job so there shouldnít be much of an added labor charge.

Tires and alignment can be had for half that; a year ago I had a set of Nexens installed for $275 IIRC. Theyíre a great tire, very comfortable. I like them better than the Scorpions which only lasted 40-50k, and the alignment is necessary to maximize life.

Oil pan gasket is a big one... I wouldnít farm that out to anyone whose never done the job before.

I donít care who you are or where you are, you can do a serpentine belt wherever, even in a motel 6 parking lot.

If you find a reputable Indy youíll be able to cut those costs down considerably, especially if said shop uses OEM parts and not OE.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Quote:
That 4000 miles is costing you 2000 USD in cpm+fixed costs easily

Sell it off and use Uber for under 5000 miles a year needed and you will be ahead.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
Quote:

Whoa.

The tires and alignment would cost half that (maybe 600 for both combined) at any decent tire shop.

If you do the rest of it yourself you'd be paying pennies on the dollar. Just getting an independent mechanic to do it would cost less than half the dealer cost.

The oil pan gasket is the one to fear. If it's just a slow little drip just leave it.

As an aside: I took my x3 to the dealership for the recalls a few months ago (airbag, PCV heater, passenger seat occupancy mat) and they did a terrible job. Didn't put the seat back together properly and left greasy fingerprints all over the interior of the car. Took me a day to clean up after them. Just because it's an actual BMW dealership doesn't mean that they are any good at what they do (or care about older x3s).

Last edited by Q4; 08-23-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2008 X3
Quote:
Wait, what? $75 for the belt and $520 for the tensioner? I assume all the labor cost is in the tensioner number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedkt442 View Post

Thrust arm bushing is way out of line. A set of bushings is like $60 and a competent shop can knock them out in 2 hours. Even at $125/hr and a part mark up youíre at $350. Control arms can come off, but not required, as part of that job so there shouldnít be much of an added labor charge.

Tires and alignment can be had for half that; a year ago I had a set of Nexens installed for $275 IIRC. Theyíre a great tire, very comfortable. I like them better than the Scorpions which only lasted 40-50k, and the alignment is necessary to maximize life.

]
Frankly, if you are only paying $275 for tires and the old ones are evenly worn, why spend $150-200 on an alignment?

Having said that, once you do the bushings and control arm, you should do an alignment, as more than likely, the tires will now wear unevenly.

07 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with tan leatherette interior - 141k miles
08 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with black leather interior - 121k miles
Old 08-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Mileage Check In...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangermouseX3 View Post
Wait, what? $75 for the belt and $520 for the tensioner? I assume all the labor cost is in the tensioner number?

Frankly, if you are only paying $275 for tires and the old ones are evenly worn, why spend $150-200 on an alignment?

Having said that, once you do the bushings and control arm, you should do an alignment, as more than likely, the tires will now wear unevenly.

I get everything aligned every year or two whether it needs it or not. For less than $100, thereís no reason not to. Agreed on alignment after control arm work, but isnít necessary; mine was still perfectly within spec after I replaced the TA bushings.

I didnít see $520 for tensioner... that is insane. I donít recall the tensioner being cheap ($100?) but the job should be a half hourís labor, maybe an hour to account for some FUBARed fastener... but that mark up is out of line.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the input folks.

I found an independent Bavarian repair shop nearby that is going to replace the serpentine belt / belt tensioner for $220 (parts & labor). Has about thirty 4 & 5 star Yelp/Google reviews - so maybe he's a good one. Will ask him to take a look at the thrust and control arms while he has it and get his opinion. Tires - looks like I can get a set of BFGoodrich Advantage RA tires installed at Costco for under $650 - maybe less. Will hold off on tires and the alignment until I get his opinion on the arms. Have read up of some the signs/symptoms for the control/thrust arms needing replacement and I'm currently experiencing none of those. No vibrations. No bumps, thumps, bangs or pops. If I'm going to have it aligned, seems reasonable to do that with or after the control arm work.

Thanks again. Will keep you updated.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:34 PM

/DBL Post

Last edited by Sonoman707; 08-26-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 08-26-2019, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Iím at 251k. Iíve had to do the entire list at one point at least once except trans mount and control arm.

Agreed prices are insane.

For example, my x3 is currently in for oil pan gasket at my local Indy and Iím paying $1,674 and that includes oil pan gasket plus all seals for diff drive shafts. I consider that a great deal considering how much work is in that job.

These are great cars. Mine isnít leaving the fleet anytime soon. I look at it that I can get 500k out of this bad boy relatively easily. Iíd never be able to replace it with something else thatís as well maintained cheaply.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 08-28-2019, 03:28 AM

Mileage Check In...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Iím at 251k. Iíve had to do the entire list at one point at least once except trans mount and control arm.

Agreed prices are insane.

For example, my x3 is currently in for oil pan gasket at my local Indy and Iím paying $1,674 and that includes oil pan gasket plus all seals for diff drive shafts. I consider that a great deal considering how much work is in that job.

These are great cars. Mine isnít leaving the fleet anytime soon. I look at it that I can get 500k out of this bad boy relatively easily. Iíd never be able to replace it with something else thatís as well maintained cheaply.

Update...final price for complete oil pan gasket including all gaskets, bolts, etc for a complete job at a solid indy....$1716.37...

Last edited by x3brian; 08-28-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:15 PM

/DBL post
Old 08-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Update...final price for complete oil pan gasket including all gaskets, bolts, etc for a complete job at a solid indy....$1716.37...

That's incredible. Was that a special price, or will he so it for anyone? I have friends that live in Sacramento. Could stay with them for a few days.

Indy replaced my serpentine belt and tensioner today - parts/labor: $200. Asked him to inspect the bushings on control/thrust arms as well. Picking it up in about an hour.

Last edited by Sonoman707; 08-28-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:21 PM

Mileage Check In...

Quote:
That's incredible. Was that a special price, or will he so it for anyone? I have friends that live in Sacramento. Could stay with them for a few days.

Indy replaced my serpentine belt and tensioner today - parts/labor: $200. Asked him to inspect the bushings on control/thrust arms as well. Picking it up in about an hour.

That was his price based on labor rate. Parts and tax was right at $500.

Iím from Sacramento now live in Maryland...this shop is in Northern MD. In California though, highly recommend Ryan G Moterwerks in Auburn, Ca. He used to be a lead mechanic at Roseville BMW always treated my x3 well when I lived in Auburn.

Last edited by x3brian; 08-28-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2008 X3
Quote:
I get everything aligned every year or two whether it needs it or not. For less than $100, thereís no reason not to.
Ah, I see the issue. Anytime I ask for an alignment on my Germans, there's lots of tutting and "special systems" and a quote of 165-195

Quote:
Agreed on alignment after control arm work, but isnít necessary; mine was still perfectly within spec after I replaced the TA bushings.
When I got the control arms replaced on my CLK the alignment afterwards was so bad I had to drive with the steering wheel at an angle just to go straight. We concluded that the PO had the car aligned with shot C-Arms rather than change the arms .

07 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with tan leatherette interior - 141k miles
08 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with black leather interior - 121k miles
Old 08-28-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangermouseX3 View Post
Ah, I see the issue. Anytime I ask for an alignment on my Germans, there's lots of tutting and "special systems" and a quote of 165-195

When I got the control arms replaced on my CLK the alignment afterwards was so bad I had to drive with the steering wheel at an angle just to go straight. We concluded that the PO had the car aligned with shot C-Arms rather than change the arms .

I always get the same damn hem and haw! Iíve had 4 or 5 alignments in 10 years....come to think about it all were at the dealer cause every shop said ďitís German, I donít have a 4 wheel alignment machine...Ē or some varying degree of BS. Rather than argue, I let it go. Most of the time the guy/gal telling me this is younger than some clothes I have in my closet.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:26 PM

I see the "we specialize in imports" mantra is still alive and well! Seems to be a common theme south of the M-D. Amazing how many "mechanics" are scared to turn a wrench on a Euro, and how many that do shouldn't!
Old 08-28-2019, 06:07 PM

Not just south of M-D....Left Coast too!

Old 08-28-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Not just south of M-D....Left Coast too!

If it's not right it's wrong!
Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Who would open a shop to learn how to service 2% market share when you can do oil changes and brakes on Ztoyotas for 75% margin?
Old 08-29-2019, 03:06 PM

Picked up the X yesterday after installation of the serpentine belt and tensioner (for $200). He said it really only needs the thrust arm bushings and recommended I get the "purple Powerflex" brand. He has a press and will reuse the arm itself. The Powerflex bushings run @ $86. online (plus tax / S&H). Indy says he will replace for $190. So for ~$300 I'll have this done as opposed to the dealerships $830 quote for the equivalent. Found a set of OHTSU(?) tires at America's Tire for $353 out the door. Reviews are good. Driving 6K +/- anually, they should be fine. The Indy doesn't have the equipment for the wheel alignment... so may get stuck going back to the dealership for that.

I will ask the mechanic to check the transmission mount when he does the bushings and get his opinion on that. The valve cover and oil pan gaskets are not leaking very much at all... and as my old Indy up north said a gasket leak like that isn't going to leave you stranded.

Looks like this may work out with a cost that will keep it in the stable a while longer.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 PM

Personally I would never use polyurethane bushings in a car that's a daily driver. They are harsh, bumpy, squeaky and transmit road vibrations/noise into the cabin. There's a reason you don't see them standard on cars.

If you only drive your X3 on a race track then that might be okay.

The guy is probably recommending them because they are easy to install.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4 View Post
Personally I would never use polyurethane bushings in a car that's a daily driver. They are harsh, bumpy, squeaky and transmit road vibrations/noise into the cabin. There's a reason you don't see them standard on cars.

If you only drive your X3 on a race track then that might be okay.

The guy is probably recommending them because they are easy to install.
Seems there are different types, some firmer/denser than others. I believe the black were designed for track.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:25 PM

They all squeak. Some take a little more time depending on how liberal an application of grease was used. They do make different densities but none do what they are supposed to do as well as the stock rubber bushings. YMMV.....

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search