Recent EGR cooler recall - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 03-04-2019, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Burn baby burn!

That particular one actually belongs to a uk fireman. Bmw uk offered him £4 or £5k towards the purchase of a new Bmw and told him to take it up with his insurance...pffft!!
They also hid the car from him and wouldn't let him inspect it until he warned with legal advice.

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-04-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Greetings,

I'm sure there are numerous posts regarding the EGR Cooler Recall (18V755) and would like to add:

Here's a link to SaferCar.gov Recall Documents for 18V755.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...55&docType=RCL

The site contains not only detailed information from BMW on the recall but also contains a full set of instructions on the remedy...including color photos of the process.

Personal experience:

My 2014 535d is at a local BMW dealer now awaiting their analysis. I have continued to loose coolant over the last six months and there are NO signs of a leak. I requested they comply with the BMW Safety Recall 18V755.

Found out the dealer has not even purchased the borescope needed to make the evaluation for the Safety Recall. So they decided to put the vehicle under an overnight 'pressure test' according to the service rep, and found no leakage...even though the vehicle was found to be low on coolant two times in the last six months. Now they're telling me since there's no leak, the EGR cooler is not the problem. Go figure.

The local service rep stated there may be an issue with a valve in the coolant overflow tank or a possible vacuum lock in the pressurized system.

I'm doubtful of their troubleshooting given they haven't taken the time to acquire the Borescope (thru BMW) to properly comply with a mandated safety recall and their overflow tank and vacuum lock comments are sketchy at best.

Hopefully the dealer and BMW N/A will do the right thing and conform with the entire recall process.

On a positive note the dealer put me in a loaner!

Also I've contacted BMW N/A and requested additional support. The Service Rep was very courteous and confirmed a BMW N/A representative would be in contact to assist. More to follow..

Last edited by Paddy323Ci; 03-15-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:22 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy323Ci View Post
Safercar.gov logo
Server Error

Server Error

An error has occurred and we are unable to process your request.

If you want to report this application error please email [email protected].

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Try this:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...55&docType=RCL

Or go to NHSTA and search for 'EGR recall'

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

You'll find numerous complaints from BMW owners regarding the Safety Recall and the serious problem it's become.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
Sorry for the text wall. I have an interesting bit of data to add to this. I have a 2014 328d that's no longer under warranty with a slow coolant leak that I've noticed since last year. I first noticed it when the coolant light came on, and I had to top of the reservoir. Since then, I have had to add either EG mix or distilled water to the reservoir every few thousand miles. I learned about the recall right before I had an issue with mine. So, here's the saga.

I was driving the car to work when the EML came on. I don't live far from the local BMW dealership (Beaumont), and it was a quick drive in. So, I left it with them. They diagnosed the problem pretty quick as an EGR failure and a melted intake. Here's where it gets odd. They immediately stated that the EGR cooler could not have had anything to do with it because the boroscope images of my cooler look like the "normal" sooty condition in their guidance from the BMW technical staff. So, they gave me the repair bill (~$3k), and said it would not be covered under the recall. I can't imagine BMW would want me to perform all of this work, and then put the cooler back on the car, knowing there is a leaking coolant problem with no obvious signs of leaking coolant, and the car just recently had a melted intake. So, then the BMW team later came back and said although the cooler is "normal," I need to go ahead and change it. Lol….wth? When I asked the dealership what they were talking about, I then asked the simple question. Has the cooler failed or not? They literally gave me two different answers for the same question. So, the repair bill is up to nearly $5k even before they get into it. They also have not performed any troubleshooting on where the leaking coolant is actually going. It's just comical at this point, because I can swap the intake and change the parts myself. The care is still with them now for over 3 weeks.

So, I'm wondering my next steps. I have not logged anything with the NHTSA or anything like that. I've been cool with everyone, and the case is still open. I believe my case is one where I can help others on the forum, if nothing else but a data point. The parts from my car can be a forensic piece of data, as I'm really beginning to wonder if BMW fully understands how to diagnose the problem. The root cause is a mechanical failure of the cooler, but the deciding factor for recall claims is a very subjective image of the fins on a cooler based on sludge build-up. I think BMW may be realizing these coolers can fail and not exhibit the subjective levels they are showing from their "normal" images. Hence, I believe BMW would like to get my likely defective parts off the car whether either I or they pay for the replacement.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:05 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgene View Post
I think BMW may be realizing these coolers can fail and not exhibit the subjective levels they are showing from their "normal" images.
A photographic image is quite objective by my standards.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
A photographic image is quite objective by my standards.
Fair enough. Or moreless a judgement call of how visually similar photos look. I would assume a more sludgy looking photo would fail quicker, but I don't know the answer if a less sludgy looking photo will still fail. I'm referencing units that fall somewhere between the two linked images here:

** Edit: I linked images to the two example photos from BMW's recall. They aren't showing for me, but you guys may see them.

Last edited by Newgene; 04-07-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:31 PM

Oh well, I received a call back from BMW NA today, and they said they talked to the engineering team, and they stated that carbon buildup caused the failure of the EGR system, which include the cooler, valve, and intake. They still haven't figured out why the coolant has been leaking since last year, and they haven't discussed if any excess carbon is related to the failed cooler. They are still with a denial to claim any of this under recall, and they stand behind their statement that the cooler needs to be changed. I'm disappointed in BMW at this point, and I have another '18 diesel X5. Loyalty has not been a factor in anything to date. I am still asking to escalate this to another level, and I would like to directly talk with someone technical. I also asked them to put in writing if the cooler is bad or not. They are saying it is bad, but they are saying they won't cover it under recall. I'll post when I hear more.

BTW, here is a boroscope image of my fins

http://i67.tinypic.com/25ez8ns.jpg

This is the go no-go criteria from BMW for reference. You can see some build-up, but mine is not as severe as their photos. However, I do have some fin holes blocked off. I would assume a lesser leak rate, but I'm still chasing a coolant leak that would seem to be a candidate for an EGR cooler leak.
http://i66.tinypic.com/2dqrgav.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/15qvsk3.jpg

Last edited by Newgene; 04-18-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d Wagon
I took my 97k miles 2014 328dx wagon last week for the oil change and again asked about the recall and mentioned an intermittent MIL code P2004 and pending code P2457 (intake manifold stuck open and EGR cooling system error, respectively) that first appeared in August. No noticable fluid loss or other issues (got 53mpg on the trip there.)
"Recall? No remedy [parts] available." I pushed and an hour later was on the road with a loaner. Today, they trucked my wagon 250 miles back to me with new exhaust cooler, intake manifold and pressure sensor - all replaced due to contamination and covered under the recall.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 14 535d, 12 528i
Filing the coolant in the N57 engine requires first pulling vacuum and let the vacuum suck in the coolant as the system does not have any bleed screws. The EGR cooler is probably sitting at the highest point in the entire system. I wonder if someone lost sufficient coolant and empty out the lines and the EGR cooler itself and don't realize they need to empty out the entire system and use the vacuum fill method. They would essentially be running the EGR cooler without coolant and damage it.

Does this theory hold water?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:28 AM

Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyy View Post
Filing the coolant in the N57 engine requires first pulling vacuum and let the vacuum suck in the coolant as the system does not have any bleed screws. The EGR cooler is probably sitting at the highest point in the entire system. I wonder if someone lost sufficient coolant and empty out the lines and the EGR cooler itself and don't realize they need to empty out the entire system and use the vacuum fill method. They would essentially be running the EGR cooler without coolant and damage it.
Does this theory hold water?
With all the warning messages and CBS signals, I personally doubt the car would let the fluid get that low without notifying the driver. Most report having gotten low coolant messages or found the vehicle had stored related codes. Even the miniscule leaks that lead to the sludge-crud on the fins are enough to warrant a new cooler before fluid loss trips a seperate warning.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:55 AM

So, BMW has agreed to cover this. I'm really glad to see that because none of this was making sense. I'll keep everyone posted. So far, they have agreed to cover it verbally (both from BMW NA and the local Beaumont dealership). However, the part (EGR cooler) is on backorder per the dealership. I'm in no rush, but it's around 2 months already. I just asked them last week to put the battery on a tender, and the service rep said they would. If it gets fixed, I'm satisfied. I don't have an ETA, but it looks like it should all get resolved.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgene View Post
So, BMW has agreed to cover this. I'm really glad to see that because none of this was making sense. I'll keep everyone posted. So far, they have agreed to cover it verbally (both from BMW NA and the local Beaumont dealership). However, the part (EGR cooler) is on backorder per the dealership. I'm in no rush, but it's around 2 months already. I just asked them last week to put the battery on a tender, and the service rep said they would. If it gets fixed, I'm satisfied. I don't have an ETA, but it looks like it should all get resolved.
Good luck. Perhaps the parts will appear now that they have committed to fixing under recall.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCitySkyRoad View Post
Good luck. Perhaps the parts will appear now that they have committed to fixing under recall.
I hope. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:30 PM
BMW_Cholo

Mein Auto: 335ih, 328d, M3
Still no word on replacing the EGR

So I have called several BMW Service Centers in my state and none will take my 328d in to inspect or diagnose my EGR recall. They all say there are no parts so they cannot do anything. Glad to hear that your facility is addressing under recall but have they confirmed or acknowledged when said parts would be available? Has anyone received a successful replacement EGR at this point in North America? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2019, 02:44 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
I noticed a slight dip in my coolant reservoir last week. Took about one 16 oz cup of a 50/50 mix of BMW coolant and distilled water to fill up. Is this a sign of impending doom? I see no visible coolant leak....
Old 05-13-2019, 03:10 AM
Nuclear engineer

Half a liter lost over how long? Mechanical or electrical coolant pump?

Mechanical coolant pump seals are cooled and lubricated by pumped fluid leakage, a weep. Dry mechanical pump packing will burn-out. BMW advises that visible liquid leakage - NOT vapor - from a 3rd generation mechanical water pump is replacement criterion.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Half a liter lost over how long? Mechanical or electrical coolant pump?

Mechanical coolant pump seals are cooled and lubricated by pumped fluid leakage, a weep. Dry mechanical pump packing will burn-out. BMW advises that visible liquid leakage - NOT vapor - from a 3rd generation mechanical water pump is replacement criterion.
I don't know how long. I just noticed it one day. It's a 2014 328d. I would seem to have been fairly sudden as I went a few years with no noticeable leakage at all. I've noticed no liquid leakage but to be honest I haven't looked hard yet. I just filled to the max line cool and I'll be routinely checking it over the next couple of weeks.

Edit: It's a mechanical pump.

Last edited by glangford; 05-15-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffilano View Post
So I have called several BMW Service Centers in my state and none will take my 328d in to inspect or diagnose my EGR recall. They all say there are no parts so they cannot do anything. Glad to hear that your facility is addressing under recall but have they confirmed or acknowledged when said parts would be available? Has anyone received a successful replacement EGR at this point in North America? Thanks!
Yes - mine was done. I had called before and was told "not doing recalls yet"; however, when I brought it in for oil (under service contract) I mentioned a transient MIL that actually was lit while I was at the dealer. P2457 - EGR cooler error and P2004 - intake manifold stuck. They said that since I was on the lot, they could not let me go with the MIL on and the solution was recall related. A week later, they shipped the car back.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCitySkyRoad View Post
Yes - mine was done. I had called before and was told "not doing recalls yet"; however, when I brought it in for oil (under service contract) I mentioned a transient MIL that actually was lit while I was at the dealer. P2457 - EGR cooler error and P2004 - intake manifold stuck. They said that since I was on the lot, they could not let me go with the MIL on and the solution was recall related. A week later, they shipped the car back.
So they have some parts. Seems BMW NA is playing a dangerous game of only fixing the recall on failure. Seems ridiculous to me that they have a recall and no parts. It's been six months since I got that recall letter and they haven't been able to ramp up production on parts enough to start fixing cars?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
My SW has been leaking coolant for close to 2 years now, I have been having to fill up coolant every 3-5k miles. The dealer has done 3 leak tests over night and never found a leak. I know it has to be the ERG.

This is getting really ridiculous. I call every dealer in SD county every month and ask for an update. They always come back with "no parts yet"
Old 05-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Ziggy.

Mein Auto: 11 328xi N51
Dealer tech here, parts are slowly becoming availible. mostly cars with CEL's or problems are getting em tho havent had a car actually just come in for recall yet though
Old 07-04-2019, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto:
2014 F10 535d EGR Cooler Recall - Manifold Replacement

My 2014 F10 535d is in for the ERG cooler recall and it needs the manifold replaced. The car has 60K miles on it and I absolutely love the car/engine. I am a bit concerned about how much disassembly is required to replace the manifold and what problems may result down the line due to leaks/poor connections etc. The SA was short on details other than it takes the tech a lot of hours. If anyone can provide the details of the amount of disassembly, I would appreciate it.

I have a 2019 535i x drive for a loaner. They have made some nice improvements; a door lock/unlock switch on each front door! A trunk switch on the driver door. I believe it has the XF 8 speed automatic transmission. In the end, I still like my old diesel from a performance perspective.

As far as turbos go, I had the same confusion because the window sticker indicates a variable vane turbo (made by Garrett I think) and the engine cover says Twin something or other. I decided to trust the window sticker and the articles/reviews I read which described little to no turbo lag with the variable vane.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 PM

Just an update. BMW took care of mine. They actually covered it under warranty, even though it had 100k miles on it. To them, it seemed to make sense to cover it under warranty over recall, but either way, they fixed it for me. I also left the car there a few months, which gave them plenty of time to go over options. They changed the manifold and new EGR valve/cooler.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:40 PM
BMW_Cholo

Mein Auto: 335ih, 328d, M3
So I got yet another nice Recall Letter today regarding my 2014 BMW 328d. Called every BMW Service Center in CFL and they all stated then same. Yeah we ain't fixing those yet. Is it really so bad your car has to be dead on the side of the road before they will even take it in and do the inspection? What is it going to take for a service center to agree to take your car in and confirm or deny that it even has the EGR issue or is the diagnosis down once the vehicle actually combusts into a fiery mess?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search