Which engine oil for 2013 328i? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: a car
Which engine oil for 2013 328i?

I am thinking about doing on out of schedule oil change. What kind of engine oil is used on a 2013 328i?

Thanks.

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harman Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
I am thinking about doing on out of schedule oil change. What kind of engine oil is used on a 2013 328i?

Thanks.
BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30 or Mobil 1 0W40 Euro Formula or Castrol 0W30.

Any of these would do.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
The brochure "Service and Warranty Information" that comes with the car, lists 4 recommended oils with weights, if you do not use the recommended BMW oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Which specific oil does BMW use during service for oil change? Is it ok to use oils with different viscosity at different oil changes?

I see the following approved oil types in the manual:
SAE 0W-40
SAE 0W-30
SAE 5W-40
SAE 5W-30
BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30
BMW Longlife-01
BMW Longlife-01 FE

If my car currently has "BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30" (which I'm not sure of), is it ok for me to change oil to Mobil 1 0W-40 for the out of schedule oil change and then go back to 5W-30 the next scheduled oil change?

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harman Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |

Last edited by kkapdolee; 07-26-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
If my car currently has "BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30" (which I'm not sure of), is it ok for me to change oil to Mobil 1 0W-40 for the out of schedule oil change and then go back to 5W-30 the next scheduled oil change?
Yes.

And there are many more LL-01 oils than what is listed in the manual and BMWNA website.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
BMW 5-30 oil is the best choice and that is what BMW dealers use.. It is no more expensive than any other synthetic oil.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
BMW 5-30 oil is the best choice and that is what BMW dealers use.. It is no more expensive than any other synthetic oil.
Thanks. I don't plan to do the out of schedule oil change at the dealership due to cost. I'm trying to buy my own oil and have it changed at a local lube. Is it possible to buy the exact same oil that BMW dealers use? If not, what would be the next best choice of oil?

Is this one ok?
http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-94001-Sy...=bmw+sae+5w-30

Also, which oil filter would you recommend?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I don't plan to do the out of schedule oil change at the dealership due to cost. I'm trying to buy my own oil and have it changed at a local lube. Is it possible to buy the exact same oil that BMW dealers use? If not, what would be the next best choice of oil?

Is this one ok?

If you planning on using Mobil 1, the one you need is 0W40 which I get at autozone. I change my own oil and that's what I've been using with no issues.

Now if you really need BMW oil go to the dealer and buy it there. But I will tell you there is no proof that this is the best one to use. Actually BMW does not make oil, and the oil packaged as BMW is probably nothing more than Castrol.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V60+ Volvo S80
This is all that matters for a car under warranty:
Quote:
BMW Longlife-01
BMW Longlife-01 FE
Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Quote:
Lol, it's just a rebranded Castrol Oil with Jacked up price :lol:

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post

True that.

BTW I saw your car at Bimmerfest Panda, looked for you but couldn't find you. Last time I saw your car at oneighty wasn't it white?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 AM

Re: Which engine oil for 2013 328i?

Thanks. Any good recommendation for oil filter?

Sent from my LG-E980 using BimmerApp mobile app

Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Always use original BMW Oil filter bro!
The dealer here at my place sells it for $12 plus tax.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:

Is this one ok?

You're going to change the oil at the local Pep Boys in order to save $25 in labor on your $50,000 BMW?

Take a second to think here - let's say you bring them the oil and filter. What if they cross-thread the oil drain bolt? What if the high-schooler doing the work thinks replacing the crush washer is too much hassle? What if they over-torque the filter nut? At least take your car to a local independent that specializes in German cars and knows what they're doing.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:

Is this one ok?

You can buy BMW oil from the dealership parts department or online for no more than any other fully synthetic oil at a parts store. Mann is a good filter brand. A BMW filter from the parts department might be slightly more expensive than at the parts store, but it's not enough to worry about. www.getbmwparts.com and other online sites sell oil change kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheikh82 View Post
True that.
Not true that. BMW oil is manufactured by Castrol, but is a specific proprietary formulation just for BMW that has higher resistance to shear than other formulations. BMW oil pricing is virtually identical to other fully synthetic oils found at auto parts stores.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-26-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Not true that. BMW oil is manufactured by Castrol, but is a specific proprietary formulation just for BMW that has higher resistance to shear than other formulations. BMW oil pricing is virtually identical to other fully synthetic oils found at auto parts stores.
This is true - BMW's retail price on oil is surprisingly reasonable. Enough so that if the dealer is closer than the auto parts store, you might as well just buy from the dealer. Join the BMW CCA to save another 10% if your dealer offers that discount.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
You're going to change the oil at the local Pep Boys in order to save $25 in labor on your $50,000 BMW?

Take a second to think here - let's say you bring them the oil and filter. What if they cross-thread the oil drain bolt? What if the high-schooler doing the work thinks replacing the crush washer is too much hassle? What if they over-torque the filter nut? At least take your car to a local independent that specializes in German cars and knows what they're doing.
Thanks for the warning. The BMW dealerships closest to where I live are known to be absolutely terrible. I also had bad experience there with their sales department and ended up ordering from an out of state bimmerfest sponsor dealer.

Cost is actually a secondary reason. Primary reason is that I don't trust this dealership. There's a local lube that I've been going to with my old car and they let me stand right next to them and watch them do the oil change and let me check the oil level in the end to make sure its right.

I don't know much about cars but is BMW oil much more complicated to change than other cars? If not, then I think I should be fine with this local lube as long as I bring my own oil and filter.

Quote:
You can buy BMW oil from the dealership parts department or online for no more than any other fully synthetic oil at a parts store. Mann is a good filter brand. A BMW filter from the parts department might be slightly more expensive than at the parts store, but it's not enough to worry about. www.getbmwparts.com and other online sites sell oil change kits.

Thanks a lot for the website. I'll probably get the oil change kit from them.

Last edited by kkapdolee; 07-26-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 530e
Quote:
Thanks for the warning. The BMW dealerships closest to where I live are known to be absolutely terrible. I also had bad experience there with their sales department and ended up ordering from an out of state bimmerfest sponsor dealer.

Cost is actually a secondary reason. Primary reason is that I don't trust this dealership. There's a local lube that I've been going to with my old car and they let me stand right next to them and watch them do the oil change and let me check the oil level in the end to make sure its right.

I don't know much about cars but is BMW oil much more complicated to change than other cars? If not, then I think I should be fine with this local lube as long as I bring my own oil and filter.

Thanks a lot for the website. I'll probably get the oil change kit from them.
Just curious...Texas is one BIG place. Where are those dealers you speak of located?

Thanks,
Hugh
Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
Just curious...Texas is one BIG place. Where are those dealers you speak of located?

Thanks,
Hugh
They are in Houston. Far away from Arlington fortunately for you

Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: ~
In addition to its own rebranded oil, BMW approves:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

For the 335, 6.5 liters or 7 quarts (6.87 quarts exactly).

Changing the oil on these cars is ridiculously easy with a pair of Rhino ramps or similar. It is literally a ten minute process.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: volvo V70 for now
Doublecheck the tightening torque on the drain plug

I would agree that an oil change is very easy, especially with the drain plug flap, but be aware that the tightening torque is quite different for the rear-wheel drive and the all-wheel drive as the all-wheel drive has a metal oil pan and the rear-wheel drive is plastic. If I recall correctly per BMWCCA the torque for the rear-wheel drive drain plug is 5 (that's 5) foot pounds.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 PM

IIRC, the 328 is plastic; the, 335 metal.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
In addition to its own rebranded oil, BMW approves:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

For the 335, 6.5 liters or 7 quarts (6.87 quarts exactly).

Changing the oil on these cars is ridiculously easy with a pair of Rhino ramps or similar. It is literally a ten minute process.
This

The 328 takes 5 quarts. I can find the 5-quart jug of Mobil1 at Walmart for around $25.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by walla2 View Post
I would agree that an oil change is very easy, especially with the drain plug flap, but be aware that the tightening torque is quite different for the rear-wheel drive and the all-wheel drive as the all-wheel drive has a metal oil pan and the rear-wheel drive is plastic. If I recall correctly per BMWCCA the torque for the rear-wheel drive drain plug is 5 (that's 5) foot pounds.
The oil drain plug is now disposable and the OEM filter comes with a replacement oil drain plug. It's actually very trick. BMW reinvented the oil drain plug and I'm actually surprised at how simple yet no-brainer it is. Of course, the Teutonic nature of the redesign is inherit in the service procedure. If you are used to working on American Iron, best you take it to the local dealership because any more than delicate and precise movements will end up costing you dearly.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 AM

Take it to a dealer only if you are a ham-fisted gorilla who cannot make toast without breaking something. BMW oil change techs are hardly highly trained, sensitive new-age guys with magic fingers sprinkled with unicorn glitter.

It is an oil change, not realigning an electron microscope.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search