Anyone else go from E71 to F16? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 F16 (2015 - Current)

X6 F16 (2015 - Current)
The all new 2015 BMW X6 is the second generation luxury cross over. BMW referes to the X6 as a Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) as it combines the attributes of an SUV (high ground clearance, xDrive and all-weather ability) with the stance, styling and roof line shape of a coupe. The F16 BMW X6 is build side by side with the F15 X5 at BMW's BMW's Spartanburg, SC plant. Read all about the second generation BMW X6 here!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '16 X6 ///M
Anyone else go from E71 to F16?

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone else has gone from the E71 to the F16. I just took delivery Friday of a 2016 X6 50i and I hate the seats. Is it just me? I just posted this on another forum where I am a long time member.

Well, the ///M is gone. Picked up the 2016 Friday. I haven't driven it much and will report back after I have a few miles under my belt but here are my two initial observations.

Like:
Power - I love the 8 speed. It's extremely responsive. Smooth shifting and a lot quicker off the line than the E71. I was apprehensive about downgrading from the ///M but I'm extremely happy with the power of the 50i.

Dislike:
I hate the seats. I know hate is a strong word but it doesn't come close to expressing how disappointed I am with the new design. And this isn't about the leather. Granted I've gone from Nappa in the 2010, to Merino in the 2013, and now Dakota in the 2016. I knew the texture would be different but assumed the quality and comfort of the seats would be the same. The seats in the E71s were extremely comfortable. They just surrounded and supported you everywhere. The new seats are short everywhere. They are narrower in the seat and seat back. The side bolsters are also narrower, so when you pull them in they hit your sides instead of wrapping around your body. The seat base itself is shorter and ends mid thigh. Even when I extend the leg bolster all the way, it doesn't even reach the back of my knee and I'm not exactly tall at 5'7". And the seats are hard. Almost zero cushioning. I feel like I'm sitting on a board. I've spent more time trying to find a comfortable seat setting than I have driving.

I know I sound like a spoiled brat complaining about a brand new $98K vehicle. I'm almost embarrassed to vent on the seats but I expected more. Shame on me for not test driving the F16 before ordering. This is my 6th BMW and comfort has never, ever been an issue.

It always takes me a little time to get used to a new vehicle, whether it be new gadgets or different controls. Maybe after time I'll forget how comfortable I used to be.

I'd love some feedback please.

TIA

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: ///M850i
I'll be curious to hear other people's feedback, because this was my initial impression on test-drives, too.

Personally, I was very disappointed in the leather/color selections on the new X6's interior. I don't like either of the two tone options, but they're the only way to get something besides Dakota? That's silly for a vehicle at this price point. It drove my decision to get another ///M. (So, I guess, well played, BMW.)

'19 BMW ///M850i | DravitGrey/Black
'18 BMW ///M550i | DarkGraphite/Black
'18 BMW i3S REx | MineralGrey/DalbergiaBrown

RETIRED: '17 X6 50i, '17 X5 50i, '16 X6M, '16 750i, '15 X4 35i, '14 328xiT, '14 X6M, '14 X6 35i, '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 08-26-2015, 06:15 AM

I thought I'd post more observations. I don't mean for this to be negative, these are just things that have jumped out at me over the past few days.

The side view mirrors are ridiculously small and odd shaped. The outer top corner slopes downward and really minimizes visibility. Very odd.

There is a pop up speaker in the center of the top of the dash right behind the iDrive screen. Although the top is black, the inside is like an aluminum. The sun bounces off it causing an almost strobe light effect. Very distracting.

No more up and down arrows on the steering wheel for scrolling through the radio presets. There is a wheel you press which brings up the presets on the HUD. Same result but I prefer the arrows.

The door locks are now on the door. Makes more sense than in the center of the dash. The hatch release is also located on the door near the window controls.

The heated steering wheel button is now on the steering column down next to the tilt/telescopic control. I went crazy trying to find it when I noticed it wasn't on the steering wheel. I thought they didn't include the option but found the new placement in the manual.

Which brings me to a pretty cool addition. The owners manual is on the iDrive under vehicle info. Great idea for quick reference.

I don't know what the proper terminology is for this. I always kept the ///M in sports mode on the highway while driving in slow or stop and go traffic. It seemed to hold me back as soon as I took my foot off the gas or while coasting, reducing the need to either down shift or hit the brakes. I no longer feel that.

I have found my settings for the seat. Still not happy with the design but I'm getting used to them.

That's all for now.

Oh wait, why is it that every new car I get comes with an idiot magnet? I can't begin to count how many morons have come close to blasting me this week. Like the car in the middle lane on the highway with no one in front of them that decided to shoot into the left in front of me with no blinker or warning causing me to NAIL the brakes. Or the person last night that crossed the center line pushing me almost on the sidewalk so I didn't get sideswiped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 AM

Idiot magnet..... ha! I feel ya.

RETIRED: '17 X6 50i, '17 X5 50i, '16 X6M, '16 750i, '15 X4 35i, '14 328xiT, '14 X6M, '14 X6 35i, '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: x6M
idiot magnet (hahaha) what do we expect since they don't seem to offer driver's education in schools anymore? and between the distraction of the cell phone, and the ever increasing complexity of dashboard menu options...driving seems to take a scary lower priority for most behind the wheel these days.

i've enjoyed all of the observations. my new x6M is out of production, now the long wait for the delivery out west. hopefully I'll have some of my own observations posted soon. like you, i didn't get to test drive either, the M is a very rare breed out here. seems like an awfully big leap of faith, but since I liked the x6/50i x-line that i did drive, i am ever hopeful!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Good luck to both of you on the dreaded wait. Are you checking the BMW website daily for status updates like I did Well, maybe it was more frequent than daily.

I went into production on July 31st and it arrived at my dealer on August 14th. Pretty quick if you ask me. They originally told me I had a production slot on August 15th, I guess they had an allocation open up.

I don't even want to get into the distracted drivers. My head will explode. The texting pushes me over the edge. Seriously? You have to check your messages or post to facebook doing 70 mph and changing lanes at the same time. I really wish I had a badge. More often than not, when I look at the cars on either side of me the driver is texting. And it's not just kids. It's soccer moms and businessmen. It's everyone. It is really that important?

*climbs off soapbox
Old 04-20-2017, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: X6
Hey cmyx5go,
I went from a 2012 X6 5.0 to a 2017 X6 5.0 a few weeks back. Like you, I am not as happy with the seats in the 2017. My 2012 felt like a "lazyboy". Maybe they break-in over time.
I have also noticed that the 2017 is a bit "touchy" off the start-line. After some research, I learned the brakes are engaged to prevent roll-back or roll-forward. I see this as a safety feature so I am trying to embrace that> I also have to put it in Sport mode all the time.
Other than that, I love the car. I like the new screen display. Lots more info available. I have the carbon-fiber package (dresses it up a bit)
J
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedder View Post
Hey cmyx5go,
I went from a 2012 X6 5.0 to a 2017 X6 5.0 a few weeks back. Like you, I am not as happy with the seats in the 2017. My 2012 felt like a "lazyboy". Maybe they break-in over time.
I have also noticed that the 2017 is a bit "touchy" off the start-line. After some research, I learned the brakes are engaged to prevent roll-back or roll-forward. I see this as a safety feature so I am trying to embrace that> I also have to put it in Sport mode all the time.
Other than that, I love the car. I like the new screen display. Lots more info available. I have the carbon-fiber package (dresses it up a bit)
J

Jedder - You'll get used to that start up. You just have to give it a bit of gas to get going, you'll do it smooth in no time.

I traded in the 50i for the M after 4 months. The handling, suspension and steering is closer to the E71, but still I miss my '13 every day.

Enjoy!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:10 PM

Hi Laura,

Funny you mention the "M" ... I am slightly kicking myself for not buying the X6M.

I am getting use to take-off; but the seats are just not as comfortable.

Jay

Last edited by Jedder; 04-20-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:12 PM

I do agree that they seats aren't as comfortable as the prior generation X vehicles, but I'm curious how some of you feel about the current X6M's seats. When I compare them to the seats in our '17 X5, the special (admittedly great looking) ///M seats just are NOT nearly as comfortable to me as the ones in the X5 50i. It's one of the reasons I changed course and am now ordering an X6 50i to replace my X6M at its lease end.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8 View Post
I do agree that they seats aren't as comfortable as the prior generation X vehicles, but I'm curious how some of you feel about the current X6M's seats. When I compare them to the seats in our '17 X5, the special (admittedly great looking) ///M seats just are NOT nearly as comfortable to me as the ones in the X5 50i. It's one of the reasons I changed course and am now ordering an X6 50i to replace my X6M at its lease end.
I was so miserable in the 50i. Do you not feel the difference in suspension and steering in the '17 X5? I admit, I'm still not loving the seats in the ///M, but overall I'm very happy that I traded up. I found the 50i to be floaty with very loose steering, even when in sport. It just wasn't as solid as my E71s. The entrance ramps I so enjoyed every morning in the E71s pissed me off in the F16. Could it be the F15s are different than the F16s? I suggest you take an extended test drive in the F16 before you pull the trigger.

I actually prefer the seats in the ///M over the 50i with the exception of the headrest. I don't like the one piece seat where the 50i has the separate head rest you can adjust.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedder View Post
Hi Laura,

Funny you mention the "M" ... I am slightly kicking myself for not buying the X6M.

I am getting use to take-off; but the seats are just not as comfortable.

Jay
Just to get you up to speed on my background. I had a '10 X6 50i and it was probably my all time favorite vehicle. I then got a '13 X6 ///M. The two were exactly the same handling wise and overall driving feel with the exception of the power difference. Due to packages - I didn't want ventilated seats - I decided to go back to the 50i when my lease was up on the '13. I ordered a fully loaded '16 50i assuming that the F16 and F86 would be the same except for power. I was so wrong. They are two completely different vehicles, I'm guessing by design. I think BMW watered down the 50i to more attract the Lexus crowd of drivers with the softer ride and at the same time forced true "drivers" to upgrade to the M for the same driving experience they previously got with the 50i. I felt so disconnected from the road.

What did you drive before?

As far as the seats go, my '10 had the nappa leather multi contour seats. The side bolsters would just wrap you and hold you so tight in place around the curves. And the leg bolsters came all the way out to the bend in my knee. How I loved those seats And the leather.... was oh so wonderful. It was like sitting on an old leather jacket, so soft. The new nappa isn't the same. It's also more pieced together.

If I wasn't afraid of owning a BMW out of warranty, I'd find me a low mileage E71 in a hear beat.

Last edited by cmyx5go; 04-21-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:49 AM
BMW for life

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35I Premium
Thanks for steering me to this thread. I had two test drives on a '17 X6 50i and I could copy and paste your impressions of the seats. I'm driving a '12 X5 and I remember the first day I sat on it. A couple of tweaks of the seat and I was driving with no issues. With the adaptive drive and the sport setting I was happy. The only reason why I started looking was because I'm out of warranty and I spent $3,300 in "routine" repairs in the last thirty days. I'm 6'2", had back surgery in 2001 after some idiot rear ended me and bad seats drive me nuts. After my surgery I can't stand any amount of lumbar support and you could defeat it all the way in my old one. I was hoping to upgrade while keeping the same seat comfort. Also the steering feel loose and disconnected. I guess I'm giving up on this car.

I'm not sure where I can find with the same level of seat comfort in a BMW. I'm very distraught.

Last edited by eldorado01; 05-29-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:14 AM

Hey eldorado01
I was lucky to have extended warranty on my 2012 X6 and the pistons started acting up and it was burning oil hard. I think it would have cost $5-7k to repair. After doing the front then rear brakes, I just could not keep pouring $$$ into it.
My 2017 has heated and cooled seats. nice feature; but the seats are just not as comfortable. I have continuously "played" around and have it close. I have had the this vehicle for 10 weeks now.
Jay
Old 05-29-2017, 08:27 AM
BMW for life

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35I Premium
That's my dilemma: what's coming next in my X5 and at what cost? And am I going to spend even more money to replace my X5 just to hate the new seats on a '17 X6?
Old 05-30-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldorado01 View Post
Thanks for steering me to this thread. I had two test drives on a '17 X6 50i and I could copy and paste your impressions of the seats. I'm driving a '12 X5 and I remember the first day I sat on it. A couple of tweaks of the seat and I was driving with no issues. With the adaptive drive and the sport setting I was happy. The only reason why I started looking was because I'm out of warranty and I spent $3,300 in "routine" repairs in the last thirty days. I'm 6'2", had back surgery in 2001 after some idiot rear ended me and bad seats drive me nuts. After my surgery I can't stand any amount of lumbar support and you could defeat it all the way in my old one. I was hoping to upgrade while keeping the same seat comfort. Also the steering feel loose and disconnected. I guess I'm giving up on this car.

I'm not sure where I can find with the same level of seat comfort in a BMW. I'm very distraught.
I wish I had some words of encouragement for you. I have gotten accustomed to the seats, it is what it is. Others here disagree with me, but I was very disappointed with the ride, handling, steering and overall driving experience in the F16. If I had to do it all over, I would have held onto my E71 for a little bit but I too fear owning one of these out of warranty.

There is nothing else out there right now that grabs my attention. I am much happier in the ///M but already thinking about what I will do at lease end. Hopefully someone at BMWUSA listened to my feedback on the F16. Doubt it though.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:11 AM
ricosan

Mein Auto: 2011 X6 50i
This has been an interesting read.

When I drove the 35i last week, I was struck by the looks of the seats. It looked as if it had no bolsters at all on the front seats. They didn't have a 50i in stock so I couldn't compare. My 2011 50i has wonderful seats that cradle your back and legs. I have the vented seats, so I thought that might be the reason for the better seats. You can order the luxury seat option ($1,300) on the 2018 35i but it is not an option on the 2018 50i.

I have an appointment Wednesday with the sales manager to discuss numbers on a 50i that I had planed to order.

Now I'm not sure what to do.

I love my 50i but is is using oil at better than a quart every 1000 miles.

Richard
Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Like I said to someone else, I wish I had words of encouragement for you. You have to drive it. I'm sorry for raining on your parade. Just know up front, the seats are no where near what you're accustomed to. The seats in my '10 50i were unbelievable. I had the multi contour in nappa leather.

Please report back. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:38 AM
ricosan

cmyx5go,

Thanks for the reply. I had a sit down with my BMW sales manager on Wednesday. Like you, one of my favorite things about my '11 50i is the comfort of the seats. I told him that the seats in the '18 35i looked and felt like crap. I gave him my build sheet and he says he is ordering my 50i just the way I want it. He thinks that multi contour seats may give me what I want. Luxury seating is available on the 35i but not available on the 50i. When it comes in, if I don't like it, I can walk away.

Richard
Old 12-05-2017, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 M-Sport
I am admittedly a novice in the X6 world, but currently looking at my options relating to a F15 or F16.

I see all the comments about the seat comfort and really am shocked. I can't relate to the previous versions, obviously, but this gives me pause.

One thing I will mention to all is that I have read over and over again that with these seats, you should not get the ventilated seats. This stiffens them up tremendously. There are numerous posts out there in internet-land regarding this. I don't know whether you have them or not, but just a general comment I have made note of.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:46 AM

Mynoles1 - Ironically, one of the reasons I decided to order the F16 and not the M was ventilated seats. They were part of a package I wanted on the M and I couldn't delete them. I don't like the feel or look of them. So, my comments on the F16 seats are non ventilated.

You need to check them out for yourself. If you never experienced the multi contour seats in the E70/E71s, you may be fine with the seats. It subjective. I've had people disagree with me and say they love the seats. Good luck to you.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:42 AM
ricosan

In my '11 X6 I have vented seats because they came with the car. I love the seats. They still look good and are extremely comfortable but I never use the vented part. I find the noise from the air blowing through the seats very distracting and unnecessary.

Having said that and having read about these seat concerns as well as the cheap appearance of the seats in the '18 X6 (35i) that I drove I believe that there is a way to get good and comfortable seats . Two weeks ago when I went in to place my order for an '18 50i. I told the the sales manager about my concerns with the seats. He says that the difference is "multi contour" seats. In the X6 35i, you can choose the "luxury seat" option, but in the 50i that I am ordering there is no "luxury seat" option. I am guessing that maybe the 50i comes standard with "multi contour seats".

If the seats are crappy when the car comes in, I'll walk.

richard
Old 12-06-2017, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 M-Sport
The Luxury Seat option is multi-contour seats with ventilation - as opposed just to the "basic" multi-contour seat. At least that is how it works on the F15.

As for the Dakota leather, not much you can do about that other than get the upgraded package to Merino leather. Dakota has been OK, and have had it in my 3, 4 and 5 series cars when bought new. All have held up very well, but no, it won't "wow" you from a suppleness standpoint. It's a bit on the stiff side by comparison.

I will have to sample each style and see what I think. The "sport seat" in my F32 is perfect for me from a driving support standpoint, but in a larger and more "comfortable" suspension/ride, I fully expect the multi-contour seats to impress. If they are not as great, as many here suggest, I will have to give careful consideration.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X6 3.5
I had an E71 with multi-contour seats for 3y and have had an F16 for 3y with the same. I miss those E71 seats almost every day; they were awesome. I may not like them as well as my E71 seats, but I must say that the current multi-contour seats are loads better than the standard seats. My back never hurts with my F16 seats. However, I had a stripper F15 loaner over xmas weekend and I did 4 a hour round-trip on Christmas Eve (2 hours each way). My back started hurting before I got 50 miles on the way out and didn't stop until I returned the car.

Some of that could have been caused by having to drive the car myself instead of letting the car do it. I was not happy when I found out that I wouldn't have my ACC when I was about to drive 4hrs on I35 on xmas eve. That's why I got it!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 F16 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search