Check engine light p0087 code - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Diesel
Check engine light p0087 code

Hello all, the diesel is throwing a code right after an oil change. I have had a code for a fuel filter heating element for a few months but I live in Florida so have been ingnoring and last time it went off I took it to the stealer and they we so helpful by telling me they would gladly change my fuel filter and heating element for a grand total of $1,027. So I walked over to the parts counter and my friend there sold me the fuel filter for $43.00 and said he wouldn't bother with the heating element. Changed the oil today but did not have time to do the filter and drive the car around for about an hour and got this code. Changed the filter and still have the light, was hoping this would fix the light.
My question is do I need a scanner to turn light off or am I getting a new fuel pump. Car runs exactly the same as it always does.
Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2018, 11:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabadiesel View Post
My question is do I need a scanner to turn light off or am I getting a new fuel pump.
Between those two options, I think the pump.....

But seriously, the whole approach of throwing parts at lights gets tiring. Somehow you have a code (p0087) but you cant clear codes?? Or the code keeps coming back? Obviously if it comes back, that guess of a part wasnt the cause of the P0087.

DO NOT assume a South FLorida BMW service adviser tossing a $1100 quote at an owner is actually a firm and accurate diagnosis. Often it is just the start of the raping.

But just becuase dealers can be stealers doesnt mean serious stuff cant happen and you need qualified diagnosis. What diagnostic tools do you have? BMW based computer? Generic code reader?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 05-27-2018, 05:11 AM

The light just came on yesterday and I have no Diagmostic tools on hand. Had to get a read from local auto parts store. I have been saying all aling that I would get the proper tools as this thing light up like an X mass tree compared to the rest of my cars. It's sunday and I would like to clear the code but not sure I can find a reader off the shelf that can do this. The car need to be driven about 800 miles at the end of this week and need to get to the bottom of this
How big a deal replacing fuel pum at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 05:22 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Engine oil service (M57T2)

Quote:
Changed the oil today but did not have time to do the filter and drive the car around for about an hour and got this code.
What is it about “drive the car around for an hour” after changing the oil. Maybe drive around for an hour before changing the oil to get it good and warm to drain it effectively and promptly, but that also requires IIRC loosening or removing the oil filter cap to allow that circuit to drain.

There is never time to do it right the first time but always money to do it over!

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E70 X5 xDrive35d SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 11 Engine / 11 00 Engine / 11 00 ...Engine oil service (M57T2)

“Open oil filter cover with a suitable tool.
[ ... ]
Note:
Engine oil flows out of the oil filter housing and back into the oil sump.”

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ngine/8IRVIjnT
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-27-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:37 AM

My had to run errands so she said the CEL turned on 5 min after she had made a stop. I drove when she returned and have felt now difference. Got on it hard a few times and it was the same. Love the car, just not been really reliable. It has been easier to work on than I thought. I don't change the oil in my Kia Sedona because it's actually more intensive that the BMW. I actually let the dealer change it for 29 bucks, sometimes 20 with coupon.
11 years old, 110,000 miles and I don't know where the CEL is located on the dash, never seen it on?
Old 05-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Any thoughts on an off the shelf scanner to clear codes?
Old 05-27-2018, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Any thoughts on an off the shelf scanner to clear codes?
At this point...any OBD II scanner reader that meets the federal OBD II mandate can read/clear a P0087 DTC (diagnostic trouble code). Walmart, O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc all selll them...but you could also go back to the place that originally read the code and have them rescan and clear it. If it comes back, then the issue remains, if it doesn't, then what you did fixed the problem.

Any simple OBD II scanner is a convenience to have on hand for CEL/SES (OBD II) light scanning and clearing. If you need/want more capabilities...you can still buy those to have on hand for more complex diagnostics and communication with the vehicles entire communication bus.

I keep a simple $20 Autel MaxiScan 300 OBD II scanner/reader in my glovebox for those "just in case" moments. I purchased it years ago so I don't know what the current costs is...but there are hundreds of simple OBD II scanner/readers out there.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 05-27-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:50 PM

Thank you, all I have done so far is replace fuel filter. Autozone gave me the codes but would clear it? Said they were not allowed. I will purchase a scanner and report back.
Thanks again
Old 05-27-2018, 05:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

You should look into a BMW specific scanner..... Just an OBD scanner may miss a ton of BMW/diesel stuff

Clearing a code is considered "auto repair"... That's why they can't

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 05-29-2018, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.0
Quote:
My had to run errands so she said the CEL turned on 5 min after she had made a stop. I drove when she returned and have felt now difference. Got on it hard a few times and it was the same. Love the car, just not been really reliable. It has been easier to work on than I thought. I don't change the oil in my Kia Sedona because it's actually more intensive that the BMW. I actually let the dealer change it for 29 bucks, sometimes 20 with coupon.
11 years old, 110,000 miles and I don't know where the CEL is located on the dash, never seen it on?
120,000 miles on my 2014 5.0 Mustang and never had a CEL either. 110,000 of those miles are on a 91 Performance Tune to boot. Oh and 195,000 miles on my daughters Camry, never a CEL and doesn't use oil. Only major thing replaced was the radiator. Shes still driving it....... We could go on and on about how ****ty BMW reliability (compared to other brands) is but I still love their cars. Its a sickness.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:55 AM

I agree, I love the way the car drives. Found an old scanner I used on my old suburban diesel and it worked on the X. It showed another code of p20ee? Can't remember but while I was waiting for it to pull the codes I accidentally hit erase all codes and light has been off for about 250 miles so far today.
Everything seems to be fine
Old 05-29-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I agree, I love the way the car drives. Found an old scanner I used on my old suburban diesel and it worked on the X. It showed another code of p20ee? Can't remember but while I was waiting for it to pull the codes I accidentally hit erase all codes and light has been off for about 250 miles so far today.
Everything seems to be fine

OBD II Fault Code
OBD II P20EE
OBD-II Code Diagonostic Trouble Code is defined as a SCR nox Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is used to assist in converting leftover exhaust particles to harmless gases. In order to burn off those particles, the temperature of the exhaust system needs to increase. the injection of DEF Fluid into the exhaust stream brings Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) up to temperature. The system is then able to convert harmful NOx to Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, and water. The Reductant Catalyst (SRC) was added to further reduce any NOx was still in the exhaust stream. The engine computer (PCM) monitors the Reductant Catalyst System's use of DEF and its ability to convert NOx to Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, and Water. If the Reductant Catalyst fails to perform its job efficiently, code P20EE is set.

Diagonostic Trouble Code Symptoms
DPF regeneration may not occur
Common Problems That Trigger the P20EE Code
DEF contamination
DEF injector failure
Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) failure
Old 05-29-2018, 12:12 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Not even wrong. Gobbledygoop.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I dunno...I think there are two things that might not be wrong..

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaka View Post
If the Reductant Catalyst fails to perform its job efficiently, code P20EE is set.

Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) failure
Of course this does NOT mean it is an SCR failure. Nox sensor failure FAR more likely

Old 05-29-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I dunno...I think there are two things that might not be wrong..

Of course this does NOT mean it is an SCR failure. Nox sensor failure FAR more likely
It was a copy and paste, I dont do kerosene.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:01 PM

You guys are a hoot. So far it's running great,which it always has, and no CEL
Old 05-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You guys are a hoot. So far it's running great,which it always has, and no CEL
Hey, as long as it is 'running great', I wouldn't worry about a thing. Just ignore the lights. Once it starts running bad, or stops, THAT'S the time to worry.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search