E46 Cranks but doesn't start - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
E46 Cranks but doesn't start

Make: BMW
Model: 325 i
Miles:110 K

My bimmer cranks but doesn't start. I can see RPM moving a bit up say to 100-200 rpm

Used OBD scanner from a friend and it showes just one code P1500 (ses light was already on with same code).

I looked into the forum looking for answers . This is the following I did.

1) My duralast battery is just 1 yr old I checked the voltage it about 12 . Still based on the hints in forums I took the battery and charged it with in an external charger for a day or so and the voltage is now 13.6v

Didn't start the car..

2) I can see the serpentine belt rotating when trying to start. SO the starter motor is also ruled out.

3) Fuel pump: I can hear the Fuel pump priming when in position 2 of the key. So i can rule out fuse, fuel relay and fuel pump. Since I already bought fuel pump went ahead and replaced it.

4) Checked the schrader valve when the key was in position2 and there was quite bit of fuel pressure that the fuel gushed about a feet high.

5) As per suggestion in some forum I did the following
I tried cranking for 7-10 second flooring the gas pedal. After few second the rpm went all the way up to 3k for a second(like it want to start) and then it died.
There was some sort of burnt smell after this. Could not identify the source though.

Tried starting still didn't work.

History: Just a week prior to start issue, the car suddenly had rough idle when I was coming back from a shop. The rpm went to 3k(SES, EML & Brake light came on) and on driving the car, was accelerating by itself hence had to use brake to slow it down. Drive was rough(back and forth) and I took back road to get home.
The next day I took to auotozone ( car was fine ) and found P1500 code.

Any suggestion hints on what to look next.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigyb View Post
Make: BMW
Model: 325 i
Miles:110 K

My bimmer cranks but doesn't start. I can see RPM moving a bit up say to 100-200 rpm

Used OBD scanner from a friend and it showes just one code P1500 (ses light was already on with same code).

I looked into the forum looking for answers . This is the following I did.

1) My duralast battery is just 1 yr old I checked the voltage it about 12 . Still based on the hints in forums I took the battery and charged it with in an external charger for a day or so and the voltage is now 13.6v

Didn't start the car..

2) I can see the serpentine belt rotating when trying to start. SO the starter motor is also ruled out.

3) Fuel pump: I can hear the Fuel pump priming when in position 2 of the key. So i can rule out fuse, fuel relay and fuel pump. Since I already bought fuel pump went ahead and replaced it.

4) Checked the schrader valve when the key was in position2 and there was quite bit of fuel pressure that the fuel gushed about a feet high.

5) As per suggestion in some forum I did the following
I tried cranking for 7-10 second flooring the gas pedal. After few second the rpm went all the way up to 3k for a second(like it want to start) and then it died.
There was some sort of burnt smell after this. Could not identify the source though.

Tried starting still didn't work.

History: Just a week prior to start issue, the car suddenly had rough idle when I was coming back from a shop. The rpm went to 3k(SES, EML & Brake light came on) and on driving the car, was accelerating by itself hence had to use brake to slow it down. Drive was rough(back and forth) and I took back road to get home.
The next day I took to auotozone ( car was fine ) and found P1500 code.

Any suggestion hints on what to look next.

Thanks in advance.
Wrong forum. You belong with us over here:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98
Old 02-01-2016, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
yeah... my bad

any idea how to move it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016, 03:20 PM
TheMalibuMafia

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & ST 335i
Try unplugging the MAF and see if the car starts.

Also check for big vacuum leaks like intake boots, throttle body, idler control valve.

I would also check the voltage of your positive terminal in the engine bay rather than just in the trunk.

TheMalibuMafia.com
Instagram
BMW E60 M5 - Daily
Too many to list

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search