Help please! Ď12 528i motor failed, need to sell - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:10 AM
mossbeemer

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Help please! Ď12 528i motor failed, need to sell

Good Morning, I have a beautiful white with tan interior 2012 528i that is in excellent condition...... except the motor! Unfortunately I have the recalled motor that gave out after the warranty was up due to having 115,000 miles. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to sell the car without a motor? And what itís worth? The car has a brand new battery and one year old run flat tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 04:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossangela View Post
Good Morning, I have a beautiful white with tan interior 2012 528i that is in excellent condition...... except the motor! Unfortunately I have the recalled motor that gave out after the warranty was up due to having 115,000 miles. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to sell the car without a motor? And what itís worth? The car has a brand new battery and one year old run flat tires.
If you still enjoy the car, a new engine is much less expensive than a new car. Just say'n.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 01-16-2020, 01:58 AM
mossbeemer

Beautiful cars! I really miss driving mine. Iíd love to just put a new motor in it and keep driving it but convincing my husband of this is a different story. He doesnít think itís worth investing the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 528
did you price it out at an indi shop? prices have been coming down, i don't think on the 2.0 motor, but it'w worth checking.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosms1 View Post
did you price it out at an indi shop? prices have been coming down, i don't think on the 2.0 motor, but it'w worth checking.
I'd do a fair amount of research before I pulled the trigger, but remanufactured 2.0 engines are on Ebay for about $4k. I'd bet your right that it's worth looking into.

My 5 series has lost about $18k in value over the past 3 1/2 years. If everything else about the car is good, $6k on an engine replacement would be smart money.

2013 535i XDrive
M Sport Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package
Rear View Camera, Comfort Seats, Ash Grain Wood Trim, Parking Distance Control
Navigation System, Premium Audio System

==============
Other: 08 Silverado Crew Cab Z-71, 18 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD
Past: 11 328xi, 06 Mustang GT Convertible, 02 Silverado, 96 S-10 Blazer, 90 Grand Prix, 97 Grand Prix, Camaro, Accord and yes.......Chevrolet Vega!
Old 01-21-2020, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche Cayenne
Sorry for your loss, consider joining a lawsuit if any are still ongoing. Other than that I know it sucks to shell out so much money but your only reasonable option is to get a replacement engine. You can dump the car if you want to, but it doesn't make financial sense unless you're just ready to move on. For what it's worth I got my chain replaced at 72 and the car hasn't had any real faults since then. Currently at 142k.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Sorry for your loss, consider joining a lawsuit if any are still ongoing. Other than that I know it sucks to shell out so much money but your only reasonable option is to get a replacement engine. You can dump the car if you want to, but it doesn't make financial sense unless you're just ready to move on. For what it's worth I got my chain replaced at 72 and the car hasn't had any real faults since then. Currently at 142k.
Yours is an updated chain. When you open the oil cap, you will see your chain guide (white color), so you should not have any problems..
Old 01-25-2020, 10:01 PM
mossbeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosms1 View Post
I'd do a fair amount of research before I pulled the trigger, but remanufactured 2.0 engines are on Ebay for about $4k. I'd bet your right that it's worth looking into.

My 5 series has lost about $18k in value over the past 3 1/2 years. If everything else about the car is good, $6k on an engine replacement would be smart money.
I'd love to replace the engine and keep driving the car for another 200,000 miles or more, especially I could do it for under 6k. Do you think buying a refurbished engine could come with the same engine issues I just went through with the fuel pump / drivetrain Malfunction problems?
Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 PM
mossbeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomenter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Yours is an updated chain. When you open the oil cap, you will see your chain guide (white color), so you should not have any problems..

Wow, that's great that you replaced your chain before it broke down. If I had known about this issue, I could and would have invested the repair cost to prevent the motor from blowing. Kelly Blue Book value teels me the car in good condition is worth around $11,000, which is what I'd probably invest to get it running. I see it as a break even point which is worth it to me, but convincing my husband is a different story.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossangela View Post
Wow, that's great that you replaced your chain before it broke down. If I had known about this issue, I could and would have invested the repair cost to prevent the motor from blowing. Kelly Blue Book value teels me the car in good condition is worth around $11,000, which is what I'd probably invest to get it running. I see it as a break even point which is worth it to me, but convincing my husband is a different story.

Putting $11k into a car that might be worth $11k is a bad idea in my opinion. If it were my car I would part it out and be done with it. You would get more than $11k for the individual components.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Putting $11k into a car that might be worth $11k is a bad idea in my opinion. If it were my car I would part it out and be done with it. You would get more than $11k for the individual components.
Welll......I wouldn't pay $11k in repairs. If the OP can find a refurbished engine for $4k and pay someone $2k to get it installed and up to speed would put the repair at $6k. that's about the most that I would recommend doing on that car.

To the OP on your other question about the potential for repeat problems.......therein lies the danger of spending money on repairing a car like this. There are a fair number of drivetrain malfunction errors reported here.....but it doesn't seem like it's something that happens to every BMW the way that the gasket issues have been. I don't know enough about the problem to know if it's something that's likely to repeat if you've had it before or not.

As I said before, BMW's are kind of an odd beast when it comes to making these kinds of evaluations. If you love your current car and aren't worried about moving up to the G30, it might make sense to repair a car you own rather than buy a slightly newer F10. I've lost close to $20k in depreciation in the past three years. Paying $6k for a new motor that gets you another 3 years out of the car is incredibly smart money......if you are otherwise happy with the car and want to drive it 3 more years.

2013 535i XDrive
M Sport Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package
Rear View Camera, Comfort Seats, Ash Grain Wood Trim, Parking Distance Control
Navigation System, Premium Audio System

==============
Other: 08 Silverado Crew Cab Z-71, 18 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD
Past: 11 328xi, 06 Mustang GT Convertible, 02 Silverado, 96 S-10 Blazer, 90 Grand Prix, 97 Grand Prix, Camaro, Accord and yes.......Chevrolet Vega!
Old 01-26-2020, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto:
A quick eBay and internet search shows rebuilt n20 engines going for $3500-$4000. Certainly, a reputable remanufacturer would use only the newest / improved items. I'm guessing you would have essentially a new engine in for $6000. It sounds to me like this makes the most sense for you as you mention wanting to keep it for another 200K. BTW, $6K will barley pay for taxes, registration fees plus whatever else another car needs to be made right for you.
2008 Mini Cooper (Sonís)

Prior cars over past 30 years include primarily Porsche, Mercedes, BMWs and Volvos of all kinds.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search