Buying My First Used M3 - What Do I Need To Watch Out For - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:36 AM
Driver

Mein Auto: A BMW
Buying My First Used M3 - What Do I Need To Watch Out For

I'm in the market for a used M3. Found some really good looking ones under 10K on the ODO, most asking ~$60K. Even saw one with 2K for $58.9K. I like manual transmission, but will take auto - 6spd manual vs 7-spd auto? None has the competition option - don't really bother me. Color of interest: Blk/Blk but I see a lot of Blk/Orange - any comments, please. They all seem loaded with creature comfort options.

Basically, what should I look out for with the M. I currently have a MY17 X5 M-Sport, a MY03 325i which I passed down to my daughter, and just sold a 2012 X5, but I'm new to the M Sedan.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: m240 convertible
I'm making a similar decision on a convertible M4.

I haven't had anyone respond to my post. I'm looking at 2016 and going to stick to a CPO with less than 30k miles.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:47 PM
Driver

I don't know why the response for help with buying is so slow - these are the people who can tell us what to look out for. In any case, I got mine this week - used some good sense and reading elsewhere. I love the car.

I say take a look at the car, make a good test drive, if it's still not in warranty, have them agree that purchase is contingent upon independent inspection. Check every function you know of. I downloaded the owner's manual prior to test driving the vehicle to familiarize myself with features unfamiliar to me. Good luck and have fun in your search - I think you'll love the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: M4
I have a 2017 M4 smg convertible with completion package and to date, knock on wood, not a single issue. 9200 miles on the clock. The only thing I can think of to watch out for is speed bumps.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 Convertible
As with you I posted a question asking what I should have him check for on the last maintenance interval of my 16 M4 without any response fortunately the car has been almost trouble free for the last four years except for a charging error issue the car is been basically bulletproof best car Iíve ever owned
Old 11-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenym4 View Post
.....The only thing I can think of to watch out for is speed bumps.
YES, and YES. Regardless of what M3 wheel option, from what wheel shops have told me, they can crack over US road bumps without you even knowing - and these wheels are quite pricey for me. I learned from my AMG wheels - I have replaced 3 so far and I am now searching for aftermarket alternatives - those same wheel shops alerted. For the M3, I purchased full wheel/tire coverage for under $2,500. Worth it based on my experience.

Sad that more experienced folks could care less about us newer M3 people. No problem. We can do this.

Last edited by darkmann; 11-12-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: '15 BMW M3, MT, Min Gray
Buying an M3/M4

I've had my M3 6 sp manual since Feb 2015, now have almost 31k miles. Mine is mineral gray w/ sakir orange leather interior, 19" wheels, etc. I loved the car from the start and have had virtually no problems with it. I have never done a track day with it, but enjoy driving it aggressively on twisty roads. My car has received the full Dinan treatment (engine, suspension, steering) - all done through my BMW dealer. The car was fast stock, and is substantially faster now. The coil-over Dinan suspension is much better controlled than stock, but does not seem to ride any stiffer.
No specific suggestions on things to watch out for - nothing has broken on my car, so there is nothing to report. I get it serviced (oil change, etc) every 6 months which may be overkill.
The OEM Michelin PS2 tires lasted 13k miles. The replacement Michelin Pilot 4S are significantly stickier, especially in the wet, and lasted 17.5 k miles. They could have gone longer but for a couple of punctures.
Bottom line: the M3 is a great car, good for back roads play and long trips. On trips I typically get about 28 mpg cruising in the 80's. Around town I get about 23.5 mpg. Seems pretty good for a 500+ hp sedan.... Have NEVER felt there was a need for more power.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M3
I'm about a month in on a 2016 6-speed w 21k miles. 6 speed was fairly hard to find with very many other options. I've driven several stick cars so that was a priority, but first gear in the car is fairly tame, particularly compared to the quick gearing of the auto.

Very much enjoying it, but mine did not come with an adaptive suspension and I came from a CTS-V so I do miss that. My son has a 340i with the M package and adaptive suspension and the difference is subtle but still real.

Have it inspected for sure. Mine had wrong tires on and an aftermarket windshield. Luckily the seller made good on replacing both. In looking for my son we had sellers outright lie about cars that proved to have paint work, both of which had "clean" car fax reports.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2020, 09:09 AM

Another thing to add is knowledge of the crankshaft hub issue. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but at least one fact is some cars, stock or with added power, have a failure of a hub that is on the end of the crankshaft. Basically, the hub is supposed to turn exactly with the crankshaft so that the two stay in the same alignment as they were put on in the factory. But in some instances, the hub can spin out of position, and this throws off timing which can cause minor up to major issues. There are a few aftermarket attempts to fix this, so when you're looking at used cars, someone should check that one of these "fixes" has not yet been applied to the car, for if it has, it's a sign of modification and also likely impacts any warranty claim on most parts of the engine. Of course if you want to add power, if the prior owner already paid for this modification, you might view that as a positive rather than a negative.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2018 F80
I picked up my M3 on Dec 2018 and built date is 07/18 should I be worry the crankshaft issue?
2014 F30 335i Melbourne Red ( Sold )
2013 E93 M3 Melbourne Red DCT
2012 E93 Space Gray (Retired BMW buy back)
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 6MT ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 01-12-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zamboni View Post
I picked up my M3 on Dec 2018 and built date is 07/18 should I be worry the crankshaft issue?
If you poke around the various BMW forums you'll find instances from at least 2015-2018. It's very hard to find real statistics and there's plenty of uneducated guessing going around. But it's a real issue on some cars, which for a performance car seems pretty lame to me. I very much enjoy mine, but this is typical of lots of car manufacturers where they have a problem and deal with it singularly because the problem isn't big enough to admit an obvious failure.

It seems to me the only way to be sure is don't mod and stay in warranty or pay for one of the fixes, putting hope in the fix and knowing if you mod then damages after that it likely on you. For most modded cars the latter is true, but a toasted BMW engine is a pretty big risk compared to a domestic.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2018 F80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL2 View Post
If you poke around the various BMW forums you'll find instances from at least 2015-2018. It's very hard to find real statistics and there's plenty of uneducated guessing going around. But it's a real issue on some cars, which for a performance car seems pretty lame to me. I very much enjoy mine, but this is typical of lots of car manufacturers where they have a problem and deal with it singularly because the problem isn't big enough to admit an obvious failure.

It seems to me the only way to be sure is don't mod and stay in warranty or pay for one of the fixes, putting hope in the fix and knowing if you mod then damages after that it likely on you. For most modded cars the latter is true, but a toasted BMW engine is a pretty big risk compared to a domestic.
I don't intent to mod want to keep it as stock, just want to know if BMW had fix the problem for the late model year built.
2014 F30 335i Melbourne Red ( Sold )
2013 E93 M3 Melbourne Red DCT
2012 E93 Space Gray (Retired BMW buy back)
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 6MT ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 01-13-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zamboni View Post
.]

I don't intent to mod want to keep it as stock, just want to know if BMW had fix the problem for the late model year built.
Understood. Some folks had posts about a change in the washer that's supposed to help keep things in place, but I couldn't find solid proof plus there have been some 2018 reports. There's also a forum somewhere that tried to collect data from members in an effort to determine the amount of risk, but that had self-reporting errors and is biased by the small number of folks who participate (and issues of honesty).
Old 01-14-2020, 07:07 PM
Driver

Great point. I don't plan power upgrades on mine. What I also learned is that manual transmission cars are more prone to this issue. How true is that, I don't know.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmann View Post
Great point. I don't plan power upgrades on mine. What I also learned is that manual transmission cars are more prone to this issue. How true is that, I don't know.
How ironic. I've read just the opposite, that the sticks are less prone. Of course in the bmw world some folks use "manual" to mean DCT which still operates itself. Again, lack of consistent info. Suffice it to say it occurs on both, but very unclear as to whether the transmission has anything to do with it.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 335I
I have a 2015 M3 I bought as CPO 2 years ago with 27k miles. Now have close to 40,000 miles on it and haven't had much issue. Only thing I would say is if you drive it like a man be ready to buy a set of rear tires a year. Also do not skimp on them. Michelin Pilot super sports at least.

Mine was fully loaded by the first buyer/leaser and I'm glad because I love the heated seats, heated steering wheel, shades etc. So if you are going to buy used make sure you get all the options you want, check around all the dealers because there actually is a lot of these cars. Also if you like the sunroof just do it. I use mine all the time and the car doesn't feel slower at all.

Also sometimes I get lazy and leave it in auto but man it feels fast enough with DCT. Unless you really want to shift all the time or its a weekend car for you I would suggest the DCT, but feel free to test drive both!
Old 01-25-2020, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335I
One last thing I wish my car had the apple car play but it is too old. So if that is a big deal to you I think its 2016-17 when it started
Old 01-26-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlitehdwarf View Post
I have a 2015 M3 I bought as CPO 2 years ago with 27k miles. Now have close to 40,000 miles on it and haven't had much issue. Only thing I would say is if you drive it like a man be ready to buy a set of rear tires a year. Also do not skimp on them. Michelin Pilot super sports at least.

Mine was fully loaded by the first buyer/leaser and I'm glad because I love the heated seats, heated steering wheel, shades etc. So if you are going to buy used make sure you get all the options you want, check around all the dealers because there actually is a lot of these cars. Also if you like the sunroof just do it. I use mine all the time and the car doesn't feel slower at all.

Also sometimes I get lazy and leave it in auto but man it feels fast enough with DCT. Unless you really want to shift all the time or its a weekend car for you I would suggest the DCT, but feel free to test drive both!
Lucky you only once a year. The way my wife drives itís a new set of tires every six months!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:37 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

Mein Auto: '18 X3
Buying My First Used M3 - What Do I Need To Watch Out For

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmann View Post
I'm in the market for a used M3. Found some really good looking ones under 10K on the ODO, most asking ~$60K. Even saw one with 2K for $58.9K. I like manual transmission, but will take auto - 6spd manual vs 7-spd auto? None has the competition option - don't really bother me. Color of interest: Blk/Blk but I see a lot of Blk/Orange - any comments, please. They all seem loaded with creature comfort options.

Basically, what should I look out for with the M. I currently have a MY17 X5 M-Sport, a MY03 325i which I passed down to my daughter, and just sold a 2012 X5, but I'm new to the M Sedan.

Thanks.

Evidence of tuning....

Me, personally, Iíd avoid any used M2/3/4...

Too much risk involved....just look at the posts in this and ďthe otherĒ forum...

Iím probably one of few that never considered modifying a thing on it.

The next owner was pretty lucky to get an unmolested M4

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 01-27-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 ZCP
Quote:
I have a 2017 M4 smg convertible with completion package and to date, knock on wood, not a single issue. 9200 miles on the clock. The only thing I can think of to watch out for is speed bumps.
SMG?? Think you meant DCT. Completion Package??? Competition is what it is (ZCP)
Old 01-31-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
SMG?? Think you meant DCT. Completion Package??? Competition is what it is (ZCP)
LOL, I never proof read. Donít have time for it. Good thing the car was completed, thatís for sure. Smg, well Iím old school so itíll always be smg to me
Old 01-31-2020, 06:53 AM

[QUOTE=Stevenym4;13236611]LOL, I never proof read. Donít have time for it. Good thing the car was completed, thatís for sure. Smg, well Iím old school so itíll always be smg to me[/QUOTEAll Sorry, actually donít appreciate it when a fellow poster does a grammar check. All good & good luck with the drive
Old 01-31-2020, 08:39 AM

[QUOTE=Chop362;13236659]
Quote:
LOL, I never proof read. Donít have time for it. Good thing the car was completed, thatís for sure. Smg, well Iím old school so itíll always be smg to me[/QUOTEAll Sorry, actually donít appreciate it when a fellow poster does a grammar check. All good & good luck with the drive
No biggie. I actually saw a advertisement for a app that checks your spelling and grammar. I was thinking I could get rid of the person who checks everything before it leaves my office but then whoíd get coffee? Simply not worth it IMO then I thought well maybe sheís using that app herself lol.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:16 AM

Lol
Old 01-31-2020, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M-3
Looking for a "USED " F80

Bought a used 2017 F80 with 30k on it. (No competition) Had a new 2016 F80, got rear ended and it was totaled at 50 mph impact. We had no injuries just loss a great car...decided to look for another one. I had thought I went through this used car pretty good until I had put it on the rack, even though the Car Fax was clean and it was a lease return. Found out it had over spray on the right side passenger side, after-market windshield, and annoying creek when going pass 70mpn. As well as the lower rocker panel was misalign. If I had to do it again, I would've taken the vehicle to the dealer to have it checked out, and use the information for leverage. Good-luck..

P.S.
Make sure you get two sets of keys (key fobs are $300 apiece

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search