BMW Group April Sales - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
Banned
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,049
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
Putting someone like BJ on ignore would make this place read like a boring nerds-only tech manual. It is akin to giving bimmerfest a floaty suspension and numb steering.
Thank you. Two observations:

1. I'm not saying anything overtly controversial; my prior self and his reputation have soiled me apparently.

2. For a bunch of M-Sport manual transmission european delivery pushing the envelope rock climbing driving 100 mph in a school zone types, they are unusually sensitive.

BJ
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #52  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Pappy Pipes's Avatar
Pappy Pipes Pappy Pipes is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: So Cal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,043
Mein Auto: 540i M Sport
Although Feb is a good month to buy -- because new models are a matter of months away -- I felt BMW was hurting due to the deep discounts I commanded. Could have bought loaded M Sports from a dozen different dealers at well under invoice so I knew I was in driver's seat. I believe BMW is the ultimate driving machine with the caveat that its quality control sucks. That's one factor I think is hurting the company above and below the line.

A second factor is BMW has leaned too hard on its slogan and its marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product. In other words BMW's advertising and marketing sucks! Having spent a dozen years on Mad Ave and the rest of my career in Hollywood I think I'm qualified to make such a comment.
__________________

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
BMWCCA: 545538 (Cars aren't assets, they are consumables)
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Lime Rock CT
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,956
Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Although Feb is a good month to buy -- because new models are a matter of months away -- I felt BMW was hurting due to the deep discounts I commanded. Could have bought loaded M Sports from a dozen different dealers at well under invoice so I knew I was in driver's seat. I believe BMW is the ultimate driving machine with the caveat that its quality control sucks. That's one factor I think is hurting the company above and below the line.

A second factor is BMW has leaned too hard on its slogan and its marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product. In other words BMW's advertising and marketing sucks! Having spent a dozen years on Mad Ave and the rest of my career in Hollywood I think I'm qualified to make such a comment.
So let me see if I have this straight.

BMW quality control sucks but their marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product.

How about a new slogan.

BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine (if you can keep the POS running).

Has a nice ring to it!

CA
__________________


Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-06-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Pappy Pipes's Avatar
Pappy Pipes Pappy Pipes is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: So Cal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,043
Mein Auto: 540i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
So let me see if I have this straight.

BMW quality control sucks but their marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product.

How about a new slogan.

BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine (if you can keep the POS running).

Has a nice ring to it!

CA
I mentioned BMW has above and below the numbers problems... We're on the same page. Just analyzing the numbers and reading between the lines.
__________________

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
BMWCCA: 545538 (Cars aren't assets, they are consumables)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Lime Rock CT
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,956
Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
I mentioned BMW has above and below the numbers problems... We're on the same page. Just analyzing the numbers and reading between the lines.
Actually other than issues with the poorly sorted out sport suspension on the the 335i (which I consider an issue of bad engineering rather than a problem with quality control) both my BMWs have been very reliable and I have not issue with build quality.


CA
__________________


Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-06-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Pappy Pipes's Avatar
Pappy Pipes Pappy Pipes is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: So Cal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,043
Mein Auto: 540i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Actually other than issues with the poorly sorted out sport suspension on the the 335i (which I consider an issue of bad engineering rather than a problem with quality control) both my BMWs have been very reliable and I have not issue with build quality.


CA
Your car had that, mine had rusty seats, it's death by a thousand cuts! BMW is bleeding to death on its Bauhaus culture. If I were consulting I'd advise BMW to fire their ad agency and integrate IT better with engineering.
__________________

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
BMWCCA: 545538 (Cars aren't assets, they are consumables)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,259
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Your car had that, mine had rusty seats, it's death by a thousand cuts! BMW is bleeding to death on its Bauhaus culture. If I were consulting I'd advise BMW to fire their ad agency and integrate IT better with engineering.
In that case you would still have rusty seats

Your problem was due to a QC issue related to a vendor, Leer who made the seats.
__________________

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ [email protected] of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt LSD, clipped turbo, 19psi, 400ft lbs of tq
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Pappy Pipes's Avatar
Pappy Pipes Pappy Pipes is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: So Cal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,043
Mein Auto: 540i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
In that case you would still have rusty seats

Your problem was due to a QC issue related to a vendor, Leer who made the seats.
If BMW had the IT/QC I suggest, the first rusty seat would be the last, period, end of story. That's possible! Now, multiply the cost of correcting such predictable problems, after the fact, by 10, 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000... BMW has better things to do with its money and time, that's the crux of my observation.
__________________

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
BMWCCA: 545538 (Cars aren't assets, they are consumables)
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Your car had that, mine had rusty seats, it's death by a thousand cuts! BMW is bleeding to death on its Bauhaus culture. If I were consulting I'd advise BMW to fire their ad agency and integrate IT better with engineering.
Rusty seats? First time heard of this. BMW bleeding to death? Also first time heard this, at least in the recent memory. At one time or another they were on death bed, but that was a very long time ago.

If you are good at advertising consulting, then we expect you use some commonly recognized issues as examples, such as "going limp" - a more catchy term that will sure draw some attention.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,349
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Rusty seats? First time heard of this. BMW bleeding to death? Also first time heard this, at least in the recent memory. At one time or another they were on death bed, but that was a very long time ago.

If you are good at advertising consulting, then we expect you use some commonly recognized issues as examples, such as "going limp" - a more catchy term that will sure draw some attention.
There was an active thread regarding F30 rusty seat bottoms about 3 months ago.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Thank you. Two observations:

1. I'm not saying anything overtly controversial; my prior self and his reputation have soiled me apparently.

2. For a bunch of M-Sport manual transmission european delivery pushing the envelope rock climbing driving 100 mph in a school zone types, they are unusually sensitive.

BJ
I am quoting BJ because the above is near the level of masterpiece, a must read for those who do not want to read it.

BTW, did I just read BMW is adding launch control in the next year models? People can finally take their auto F30s to drag strips.

Who said BMW will not listen to us.

BJ don't fret, BMW didn't forget your loyalty, they also have a present for you called "sailing mode". Basically if you always wanted a Prius but need the BMW badge, this is for you.

Of course you need a brand new BMW to achieve the goal of a Prius busting BMW sedan. You can't do this because yours is a used car.

Last edited by dtc100; 05-07-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,259
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
If BMW had the IT/QC I suggest, the first rusty seat would be the last, period, end of story. That's possible! Now, multiply the cost of correcting such predictable problems, after the fact, by 10, 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000... BMW has better things to do with its money and time, that's the crux of my observation.
Yeah, you just made my point. I am saying it's not a matter of BMW having better engineering teams which you said earlier. It was a QC issue that should have been caught, that is all.
__________________

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ [email protected] of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt LSD, clipped turbo, 19psi, 400ft lbs of tq
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 PM
408Racer's Avatar
408Racer 408Racer is offline
Life in da fast lane!
Location: Santana Row
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Thank you. Two observations:

1. I'm not saying anything overtly controversial; my prior self and his reputation have soiled me apparently.

2. For a bunch of M-Sport manual transmission european delivery pushing the envelope rock climbing driving 100 mph in a school zone types, they are unusually sensitive.

BJ
I wasn't around to witness your prior incarnations so you've been pure as freshly driven snow.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
408Racer's Avatar
408Racer 408Racer is offline
Life in da fast lane!
Location: Santana Row
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I am quoting BJ because the above is near the level of masterpiece, a must read for those who do not want to read it.
Truth and humor are not so easily combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
BJ don't fret, BMW didn't forget your loyalty, they also have a present for you called "sailing mode". Basically if you always wanted a Prius but need the BMW badge, this is for you.
The psycho storm trooper Prius has been out for a few months now:



And I meant that as a compliment.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
The psycho storm trooper Prius has been out for a few months now:



And I meant that as a compliment.
The AH3 cannot even show up to the fight, after all the eco rebates and incentives, BMW cannot move this one. BMW literally needs to rig a sail on each 3 series to show Prius whose the boss.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
408Racer's Avatar
408Racer 408Racer is offline
Life in da fast lane!
Location: Santana Row
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
The AH3 cannot even show up to the fight, after all the eco rebates and incentives, BMW cannot move this one. BMW literally needs to rig a sail on each 3 series to show Prius whose the boss.
Yeah, it is somewhat sad that the Prius is perceived to be the iPhone of hybrids while the AH3 is like the new Blackberry. BMW needs to market the AH3 more as a bad ass that it is instead of using the vague techno-greenie efficient dynamics drivel.

Had the AH3 been available with 3 pedals, I would've been all over it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.