BMW Group April Sales - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
Putting someone like BJ on ignore would make this place read like a boring nerds-only tech manual. It is akin to giving bimmerfest a floaty suspension and numb steering.
Thank you. Two observations:

1. I'm not saying anything overtly controversial; my prior self and his reputation have soiled me apparently.

2. For a bunch of M-Sport manual transmission european delivery pushing the envelope rock climbing driving 100 mph in a school zone types, they are unusually sensitive.

BJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i M Sport
Although Feb is a good month to buy -- because new models are a matter of months away -- I felt BMW was hurting due to the deep discounts I commanded. Could have bought loaded M Sports from a dozen different dealers at well under invoice so I knew I was in driver's seat. I believe BMW is the ultimate driving machine with the caveat that its quality control sucks. That's one factor I think is hurting the company above and below the line.

A second factor is BMW has leaned too hard on its slogan and its marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product. In other words BMW's advertising and marketing sucks! Having spent a dozen years on Mad Ave and the rest of my career in Hollywood I think I'm qualified to make such a comment.

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
BMWCCA: 545538 (Cars aren't assets, they are consumables)
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Although Feb is a good month to buy -- because new models are a matter of months away -- I felt BMW was hurting due to the deep discounts I commanded. Could have bought loaded M Sports from a dozen different dealers at well under invoice so I knew I was in driver's seat. I believe BMW is the ultimate driving machine with the caveat that its quality control sucks. That's one factor I think is hurting the company above and below the line.

A second factor is BMW has leaned too hard on its slogan and its marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product. In other words BMW's advertising and marketing sucks! Having spent a dozen years on Mad Ave and the rest of my career in Hollywood I think I'm qualified to make such a comment.
So let me see if I have this straight.

BMW quality control sucks but their marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product.

How about a new slogan.

BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine (if you can keep the POS running).

Has a nice ring to it!

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-06-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
So let me see if I have this straight.

BMW quality control sucks but their marketing doesn't communicate the quality of the product.

How about a new slogan.

BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine (if you can keep the POS running).

Has a nice ring to it!

CA
I mentioned BMW has above and below the numbers problems... We're on the same page. Just analyzing the numbers and reading between the lines.

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
Quote:
I mentioned BMW has above and below the numbers problems... We're on the same page. Just analyzing the numbers and reading between the lines.
Actually other than issues with the poorly sorted out sport suspension on the the 335i (which I consider an issue of bad engineering rather than a problem with quality control) both my BMWs have been very reliable and I have not issue with build quality.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-06-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Actually other than issues with the poorly sorted out sport suspension on the the 335i (which I consider an issue of bad engineering rather than a problem with quality control) both my BMWs have been very reliable and I have not issue with build quality.

CA
Your car had that, mine had rusty seats, it's death by a thousand cuts! BMW is bleeding to death on its Bauhaus culture. If I were consulting I'd advise BMW to fire their ad agency and integrate IT better with engineering.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
Your car had that, mine had rusty seats, it's death by a thousand cuts! BMW is bleeding to death on its Bauhaus culture. If I were consulting I'd advise BMW to fire their ad agency and integrate IT better with engineering.
In that case you would still have rusty seats

Your problem was due to a QC issue related to a vendor, Leer who made the seats.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ [email protected] of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt LSD, clipped turbo, 19psi, 400ft lbs of tq
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
In that case you would still have rusty seats

Your problem was due to a QC issue related to a vendor, Leer who made the seats.
If BMW had the IT/QC I suggest, the first rusty seat would be the last, period, end of story. That's possible! Now, multiply the cost of correcting such predictable problems, after the fact, by 10, 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000... BMW has better things to do with its money and time, that's the crux of my observation.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Rusty seats? First time heard of this. BMW bleeding to death? Also first time heard this, at least in the recent memory. At one time or another they were on death bed, but that was a very long time ago.

If you are good at advertising consulting, then we expect you use some commonly recognized issues as examples, such as "going limp" - a more catchy term that will sure draw some attention.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Rusty seats? First time heard of this. BMW bleeding to death? Also first time heard this, at least in the recent memory. At one time or another they were on death bed, but that was a very long time ago.

If you are good at advertising consulting, then we expect you use some commonly recognized issues as examples, such as "going limp" - a more catchy term that will sure draw some attention.
There was an active thread regarding F30 rusty seat bottoms about 3 months ago.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

1. I'm not saying anything overtly controversial; my prior self and his reputation have soiled me apparently.

2. For a bunch of M-Sport manual transmission european delivery pushing the envelope rock climbing driving 100 mph in a school zone types, they are unusually sensitive.

BJ
I am quoting BJ because the above is near the level of masterpiece, a must read for those who do not want to read it.

BTW, did I just read BMW is adding launch control in the next year models? People can finally take their auto F30s to drag strips.

Who said BMW will not listen to us.

BJ don't fret, BMW didn't forget your loyalty, they also have a present for you called "sailing mode". Basically if you always wanted a Prius but need the BMW badge, this is for you.

Of course you need a brand new BMW to achieve the goal of a Prius busting BMW sedan. You can't do this because yours is a used car.

Last edited by dtc100; 05-07-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
If BMW had the IT/QC I suggest, the first rusty seat would be the last, period, end of story. That's possible! Now, multiply the cost of correcting such predictable problems, after the fact, by 10, 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000... BMW has better things to do with its money and time, that's the crux of my observation.
Yeah, you just made my point. I am saying it's not a matter of BMW having better engineering teams which you said earlier. It was a QC issue that should have been caught, that is all.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ [email protected] of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt LSD, clipped turbo, 19psi, 400ft lbs of tq
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

BJ
I wasn't around to witness your prior incarnations so you've been pure as freshly driven snow.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
I am quoting BJ because the above is near the level of masterpiece, a must read for those who do not want to read it.
Truth and humor are not so easily combined.

Quote:
BJ don't fret, BMW didn't forget your loyalty, they also have a present for you called "sailing mode". Basically if you always wanted a Prius but need the BMW badge, this is for you.
The psycho storm trooper Prius has been out for a few months now:

And I meant that as a compliment.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
The psycho storm trooper Prius has been out for a few months now:

And I meant that as a compliment.
The AH3 cannot even show up to the fight, after all the eco rebates and incentives, BMW cannot move this one. BMW literally needs to rig a sail on each 3 series to show Prius whose the boss.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
The AH3 cannot even show up to the fight, after all the eco rebates and incentives, BMW cannot move this one. BMW literally needs to rig a sail on each 3 series to show Prius whose the boss.
Yeah, it is somewhat sad that the Prius is perceived to be the iPhone of hybrids while the AH3 is like the new Blackberry. BMW needs to market the AH3 more as a bad ass that it is instead of using the vague techno-greenie efficient dynamics drivel.

Had the AH3 been available with 3 pedals, I would've been all over it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search