BMWs in 20yrs....gas (petrol), or electric ???? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E46 330Ci 5MT
BMWs in 20yrs....gas (petrol), or electric ????

Is it wise to snatch up E36s and E46s now as every naturally aspirated 6 cylinder BMW could potentially be a collector in 20-30 years? I have no interest in driving an electric nose trimmer at any point in my lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
E46 M3 coupes with manual transmissions are going up in value now, and have been for years. E46 330i's and 330ci's with the ZHP option and a manual transmissions also have a following. But, the M3's the one to have, and there are a lot of them. Toward the end of E46 production, one out of three E46 coupes were M3's.

Every new car's eventually going to be a hybrid to one degree or another.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325ci/2003 330i
I can't wait for the age of EV to be here. So many benefits. Pretty soon, the internal combustion engine will be a relic. Of course, you will have the same handling and driving experience w/o the pollution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinbills View Post
I can't wait for the age of EV to be here. So many benefits. Pretty soon, the internal combustion engine will be a relic. Of course, you will have the same handling and driving experience w/o the pollution.
*sigh* liberals..........
Old 01-10-2020, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenBMW View Post
Quote:
Yikes, didn't know it was only liberals who could see the writing on the wall. ICE will absolutely become a relic, replaced by full EV. For a long time hybrids will coexist among some passenger vehicles, however the electrified portion of the car will be the primary power generation.

This is coming from someone who LOVES combustion engines and always will. An old American land yacht will be my next project. But it won't be my daily by any means. Electric is better for the environment and I'm okay with that.

For now? Personally full EVs don't interest me at the moment as much as hybrids do.

But if you prefer to ascribe this view as well to my politics, I won't attempt to stop you. Whatever makes you feel better.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: '04 e46 Touring M-Sport
Fully original M-car can be seen as investment, value will go up as long as you don't ruin it with tuning crap.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
I'm not counting on the value of my E46 to help finance more than a trimester or so worth of assisted living care when I need it in 25-35 years from now. In other words, noting significant.
Mine is a plain one owner Euro delivery 330ci with 'three pedals and 'just' ZSP.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 01-11-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Fully original M-car can be seen as investment, value will go up as long as you don't ruin it with tuning crap.
You ain't just'a'****in'!

I sold my E46 M3 manual coupe after 12+ years and 115k miles. I asked slightly over KBB for it, and it sold in twelve hours. Then, I got 200 to 300 more calls or e-mails. That was enough to see a trend on what buyers want, and are willing to pay for: "Bone stock, one owner, original paint." Here's my FSBO pictures of the car. There's no trunk lid spoiler. That's because I ordered it with the spoiler delete option.

I have a friend, in his 70's, to can't wait to start sticking crap on a car when he gets it. He says he "like(s) to make it mine." I told him that's like getting your name tattooed on your girlfriend's boob. Yeah, you like it. But, the next guy won't.

Kids like to modify their cars. My friend got a high-paying, union factory job when he was 18 year old, through nepotism. So, every two weeks he had plenty of money to buy more crap for his car.

The only mod's I've done to a car is peel the "1500" and "C H E V R O L E T" decals off of a Chevy Silverado "work truck." The better equipped models had badges instead of decals. I seriously thought about getting a GMC Sierra instead, because it didn't have decals. But, the Sierra work truck came with either vinyl or flimsy fabric. The Silverado came with vinyl or a heavy tweed fabric.

The problem with decals is that the adhesive eventually migrates down into the paint and then they're a royal PIA to get off. You often have to take some of the paint with them. The day I brought the truck home, they peeled right off.

I still had an urge to buy replacement decals for my work truck and set them aside... so it could be a 100-points truck at the 2075 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. I paid an extra $10 to get an OE Delco battery for the truck after four years.

If I ever buy another BMW with run-flat tires, I'll do a mod' of ditching them for decent non-run-flats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131224 2002  bmw m3 front right quarter.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	878211   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131224 2002 bmw m3 front.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	878213   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131224 2002 bmw m3 rear quarter.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	878215   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131224 2002 bmw m3 rear.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	878217  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-11-2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:28 AM
Need for Speed

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
OP, remember to be a proper collector car, it would need to be pristine and have low miles. So if you really did find one now, you would then garage it in a climate controlled area and drive it once to twice a year. Then in 20 years post an ad for sale. What fun is that? I'm driving mine now.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
OP, remember to be a proper collector car, it would need to be pristine and have low miles. So if you really did find one now, you would then garage it in a climate controlled area and drive it once to twice a year. Then in 20 years post an ad for sale. What fun is that? I'm driving mine now.
I bought the third E46 M3 from the dealer. I was in for my 13k miles oil change when, by coincidence, the second E46 M3 they sold pulled into line behind me. He was there for his 1200 miles service (engine oil, transmission and differential fluid). I gave him my name, phone, and e-mail, and asked him to call me when he's ready to sell. I'm still waiting.

I did keep a second car when I got my M3. That let me keep the annual mileage on the M3 down to under 10k miles. More importantly, it let me avoid parking it in bad places and mitigated the amount of sunlight damage it got over twelve years.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-11-2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Actually I didn't plan on selling them, just collecting them for myself. The government can't force people to drive an electric sh*tbox even 100 years in the future
Old 01-11-2020, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto:
EV's ..... Get a free pair on panties with every one purchased ***x1f914;
Old 01-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Any non-M car powered by the M54B30, M50B25, M30B35, and N52B30 will be very special in 20-30 years IMO
Old 01-12-2020, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
If you buy any car as an investment you are a financial moron. You probably think money managers can beat the stock market, too, or try to pick stocks.

Buy the car you need to get what you need done, 3-5 years old at least,maintain the snot out of it, run it for 15-20.

Repeat.

EVs work for some people's lifestyle but not all.

There are lots more panty wanker gamma males trying to gain status buying BMWs than EVs or hybrids
Old 01-12-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abscate View Post
If you buy any car as an investment you are a financial moron. You probably think money managers can beat the stock market, too, or try to pick stocks.

Buy the car you need to get what you need done, 3-5 years old at least,maintain the snot out of it, run it for 15-20.

Repeat.

EVs work for some people's lifestyle but not all.

There are lots more panty wanker gamma males trying to gain status buying BMWs than EVs or hybrids
I'm pretty sure it's the "panty wanker gamma males" buying the EVs lol

Last edited by McLarenBMW; 01-12-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325xi
I'm having a body shop assess my 330ci to see if it can be fixed after a front-end collision a year ago. (It sat under a car cover for a year while I dithered.) If it can (for a reasonable price), I will fix it and drive it for many years to come. I love that car.

That said, I hear that Audi plans an all electric version of the TT. When I see a decent-looking all electric coupe with solid performance and handling from BMW, Audi, Porsche, Tesla, whomever... I'll want one. Who can argue with full torque at all rpms, or the reliability of having fewer moving parts, or the low center of gravity from a battery slung beneath the car?

I'll always keep that E46 regardless of what else I buy, but let's not be Luddites about EVs.

2006 650i convertible in stratus gray
Old 01-12-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
I'm having a body shop assess my 330ci to see if it can be fixed after a front-end collision a year ago. (It sat under a car cover for a year while I dithered.) If it can (for a reasonable price), I will fix it and drive it for many years to come. I love that car.

That said, I hear that Audi plans an all electric version of the TT. When I see a decent-looking all electric coupe with solid performance and handling from BMW, Audi, Porsche, Tesla, whomever... I'll want one. Who can argue with full torque at all rpms, or the reliability of having fewer moving parts, or the low center of gravity from a battery slung beneath the car?

I'll always keep that E46 regardless of what else I buy, but let's not be Luddites about EVs.
They make no sound, there's no proof that they're more reliable than combustion engines, they have no top end power and apparently building these batteries is bad for the environment
Old 01-12-2020, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
They make no sound, there's no proof that they're more reliable than combustion engines, they have no top end power and apparently building these batteries is bad for the environment
Exactly. Several years my daily driver was a '79 Dodge 3/4 ton, club cab, long bed Power Wagon. It got under 10 mpg in town, BUT my commute was three miles each way. If all I did was drive it to work and back I filled the 20 gallon tank (the worst part about that truck) once a month. BUT, that is also the perfect commute for an EV. It's also perfect for a gas guzzler that would do double duty as a hauler to pull my car trailer or pull stumps. I only replaced it with the 2000 Durango because it was a PITA to park anywhere and the Durango does most of the things the PW did.

I also only paid about $600 for the Dodge. That wouldn't buy replacement batteries for an EV. Then I paid $750 for the Durango (yes, I had to fix it, but had less than $2k in it when it was road worthy). So, I will likely never own an EV. There's a slim chance that some day I'll own a hybrid, but only because my 86 year old dad has one...
Old 01-12-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Why does preferring an EV automatically make you a liberal? If I'm a liberal then I don't know what label you would use for a liberal.

EV to me greatly simplifies the ownership of a car. No more oil change, coolant change, tune-up, gas-up, vacuum leak etc. Just plug in, charge and drive. Of course they will still retain the driving dynamics, if not even better driving dynamics. Forget the argument about how the batteries are bad for the environment because ICE isn't exactly clean either. Now someday some of us would be nostalgic about these ICE cars but it would be like people wanting to own an LP disc.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
You ain't just'a'****in'!

I sold my E46 M3 manual coupe after 12+ years and 115k miles. I asked slightly over KBB for it, and it sold in twelve hours. Then, I got 200 to 300 more calls or e-mails. That was enough to see a trend on what buyers want, and are willing to pay for: "Bone stock, one owner, original paint." Here's my FSBO pictures of the car. There's no trunk lid spoiler. That's because I ordered it with the spoiler delete option.

I have a friend, in his 70's, to can't wait to start sticking crap on a car when he gets it. He says he "like(s) to make it mine." I told him that's like getting your name tattooed on your girlfriend's boob. Yeah, you like it. But, the next guy won't.

Kids like to modify their cars. My friend got a high-paying, union factory job when he was 18 year old, through nepotism. So, every two weeks he had plenty of money to buy more crap for his car.

The only mod's I've done to a car is peel the "1500" and "C H E V R O L E T" decals off of a Chevy Silverado "work truck." The better equipped models had badges instead of decals. I seriously thought about getting a GMC Sierra instead, because it didn't have decals. But, the Sierra work truck came with either vinyl or flimsy fabric. The Silverado came with vinyl or a heavy tweed fabric.

The problem with decals is that the adhesive eventually migrates down into the paint and then they're a royal PIA to get off. You often have to take some of the paint with them. The day I brought the truck home, they peeled right off.

I still had an urge to buy replacement decals for my work truck and set them aside... so it could be a 100-points truck at the 2075 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. I paid an extra $10 to get an OE Delco battery for the truck after four years.

If I ever buy another BMW with run-flat tires, I'll do a mod' of ditching them for decent non-run-flats.
It only seems M3 in the form of a coupe and manual is in high demand and can fetch a high price but its convertible form is not that much desirable.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Why does preferring an EV automatically make you a liberal? If I'm a liberal then I don't know what label you would use for a liberal.

EV to me greatly simplifies the ownership of a car. No more oil change, coolant change, tune-up, gas-up, vacuum leak etc. Just plug in, charge and drive. Of course they will still retain the driving dynamics, if not even better driving dynamics. Forget the argument about how the batteries are bad for the environment because ICE isn't exactly clean either. Now someday some of us would be nostalgic about these ICE cars but it would be like people wanting to own an LP disc.
Trying to push the world towards soulless, boring machinery is only something a liberal would do
Old 01-13-2020, 12:52 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Matt Farah ("The Smoking Tire") recently reviewed a brand-new electric model from Porsche (the price was, I believe, $186,000 or somewhere close to that). The car was quite impressive, and he was having a good time hammering it up and down the canyon roads, BUT (and this is a BIG "but"), he consumed 40 % of the battery`s storage in just 17 (SEVENTEEN) miles ! Holy shiznit....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-13-2020, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's the "panty wanker gamma males" buying the EVs lol
Watch this forum
Old 01-13-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Trying to push the world towards soulless, boring machinery is only something a liberal would do
Now I can see the reason for the discord between you and smolck.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Matt Farah ("The Smoking Tire") recently reviewed a brand-new electric model from Porsche (the price was, I believe, $186,000 or somewhere close to that). The car was quite impressive, and he was having a good time hammering it up and down the canyon roads, BUT (and this is a BIG "but"), he consumed 40 % of the battery`s storage in just 17 (SEVENTEEN) miles ! Holy shiznit....
Equate that to a 1960 muscle car guzzling gas and compare it to current performance car. EV will only get better and more efficient as more mass adoption takes place.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search