Does anyone driving manual wish they had an automatic sometimes? - Page 8 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i, 2013 X5
This thread has inspired me to get the ZHP knob for my short shift kit.

2007 328i (E92) - BMW Performance exhaust, short shift kit, handbrake and steering wheel trim - CDV delete - M3 control arms - Anthracite Alcantara headliner - CREE LED corona rings - LED license plate lights
2013 X5 35i (E70) - completely stock (got to do something about that)

2014 i3 BEV - Lease return
2006 325i (E90) - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
I was thinking about a shorty. Please let us know if it's a visceral an experience as they claim it to be.
Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: X3
After several days with the X3 35i I'm becoming impressed with the pep the automatic tranny delivers. As someone who's been primarily a manual driver it feels pretty good to own the Auto. I still have the MC if I need to work my way through the gears. I've not yet experimented with the manual function on the X3; I'm sure I'll get around to it soon.

One additional note, many auto manufacturers are no longer offering manual transmissions; this helps with the reduced percentage driving manuals.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; Yesterday at 05:20 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i, 2013 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmis View Post
I was thinking about a shorty. Please let us know if it's a visceral an experience as they claim it to be.

Iíve had the BMW performance short shift kit for over five years and absolutely love it. The shorter throw is awesome, the shift knob isnít. What I would recommend is do the M short shift kit. The leather knob is a much better shape.

2007 328i (E92) - BMW Performance exhaust, short shift kit, handbrake and steering wheel trim - CDV delete - M3 control arms - Anthracite Alcantara headliner - CREE LED corona rings - LED license plate lights
2013 X5 35i (E70) - completely stock (got to do something about that)

2014 i3 BEV - Lease return
2006 325i (E90) - Sold
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
After several days with the X3 35i I'm becoming impressed with the pep the automatic tranny delivers. As someone who's been primarily a manual driver it feels pretty good to own the Auto. I still have the MC if I need to work my way through the gears. I've not yet experimented with the manual function on the X3; I'm sure I'll get around to it soon.

One additional note, many auto manufacturers are no longer offering manual transmissions; this helps with the reduced percentage driving manuals.
Pulling paddles or levers on automatics or DCTs just sends a signal to a processor that initiates the process of a gear change. It's about as engaging as pushing a button. Advocates of these technologies enthuse about how fast the process is completed or how the computer makes decisions about which gear and when to engage it.

Meh, they are missing the point I LIKE being involved in those processes. I LIKE the sensations of feeling the clutch begin to engage or disengage through my foot. I LIKE feeling the gears snick together just right and the synchronizers whirring as they slide the gears together. I LIKE having to time the shift just right to coincide with the clutch engagement. I LIKE heel and toeing as I match the engines revs to the corner exit speed to keep the engine in its power band.

I don't care if the freaking computer can do it 0.01 seconds quicker. I like being in control of those functions. Would these same people choose automatic steering because a computer could steer the car more precisely and quickly? How about automatic braking and accelerating?

I know that autonomous cars are in the works and many people are hailing these robots as the greatest thing to happen to the automobile. I think it's a complete nightmare. I don't want to be cargo in my own car, or as many "futurists" are predicting, cargo in an autonomous pod owned by Google or Uber.

I see the automatic transmission as the first step in that horrible direction.
Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

Thanks..I'll seriously consider it!
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM

I feel the same way about the engagement/sensations of driving a manual tranny. I almost embarrassed to ask, but I havent driven a car with a manual tranny since I was in my late teens with a 1970 Cougar I once had. I bought my 08 328xi about two months ago and I'm not too sure about the shifting process. I live on Long Island in a suburban area where I have stop signs every block and really don't get to drive above 45mph until I get on the highway. I'm wondering if I might be shifting gears prematurely or not. Is it ok to drive let's say, in 2nd gear at 3500-4000 rpms for a block (as I hit stop signs every block) before stopping, or should I be going into 3rd gear, even if its only for 15 or 20 seconds before I hit a stop sign? I usually change gears at 3500 rpms. I'm thinking I'm engaging too soon. It shifts smoothly, but I suspect I'm babying it a bit and it's ok to ride at 4000 rpms and not even shift to 3rd. At 3500-4000 rpms it's about 30/35 mph.
Basically am I stressing out something by riding at 4000 rpm or is that ok?
I've seen videos of people coming 1/4 miles and they shift around 6000 rpms. I'm curious if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it!
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I feel the same way about the engagement/sensations of driving a manual tranny. I almost embarrassed to ask, but I havent driven a car with a manual tranny since I was in my late teens with a 1970 Cougar I once had. I bought my 08 328xi about two months ago and I'm not too sure about the shifting process. I live on Long Island in a suburban area where I have stop signs every block and really don't get to drive above 45mph until I get on the highway. I'm wondering if I might be shifting gears prematurely or not. Is it ok to drive let's say, in 2nd gear at 3500-4000 rpms for a block (as I hit stop signs every block) before stopping, or should I be going into 3rd gear, even if its only for 15 or 20 seconds before I hit a stop sign? I usually change gears at 3500 rpms. I'm thinking I'm engaging too soon. It shifts smoothly, but I suspect I'm babying it a bit and it's ok to ride at 4000 rpms and not even shift to 3rd. At 3500-4000 rpms it's about 30/35 mph.
Basically am I stressing out something by riding at 4000 rpm or is that ok?
I've seen videos of people coming 1/4 miles and they shift around 6000 rpms. I'm curious if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it!
Revving the engine to 3500-4000 rpm isn't hurting the car. It may be wasting a bit of gas, (some fuel misers shift at even lower rpms to save gas) but it isn't hurting anything. Just don't "lug" the engine by shifting at really low rpm, like 1100-1700 rpm.

3500-4000 rpm is a reasonable shift point for normal driving, as in just getting from point A to point B. Revving the engine to 6,000 rpm or higher is going to get the engine into it's peak horsepower range but is usually reserved for when you really want to let it rip or if you are racing. It also won't damage the engine, unless you exceed red-line or miss a shift, or shift into too low a gear, and REALLY exceed red-line. Also modern cars, like your 328xi, have rev limiters which won't allow you to over rev the engine except for the case where you force the engine to over rev by shifting into a too low gear.

Just don't make one of those "money shift" down shifts and you'll be OK. Learning to interact with your car's engine and transmission is one of the joys of owning a manual transmission.

Enjoy!

Last edited by BashedBarrique; Yesterday at 08:11 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

I also HIGHLY recommend the "clutch delay valve delete" procedure. It is fairly simple and GREATLY improves the smoothness and precision of clutch engagement. Use the search feature to find posts on how to do it.

It isn't very difficult, but if you aren't confident about your mechanical abilities you could pay an independent BMW repair shop to do it. I wouldn't expect it to cost more than $100 bucks.

Last edited by BashedBarrique; Yesterday at 08:26 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Would these same people choose automatic steering because a computer could steer the car more precisely and quickly? How about automatic braking and accelerating?

I know that autonomous cars are in the works and many people are hailing these robots as the greatest thing to happen to the automobile. I think it's a complete nightmare. I don't want to be cargo in my own car, or as many "futurists" are predicting, cargo in an autonomous pod owned by Google or Uber.
Yes, most people would.

I would agree that autonomous vehicles are one of the best things to happen to the automobile. The main reason ? Safety. Here are the current stats:

Quote:
There are nearly 40,000 fatal car accidents per year in the U.S. Each day, more than 90 Americans die in car accidents. On average, 2 million drivers experience a permanent injury every year. Almost 8,000 people are killed in traffic accidents involving drivers aged 16-20.
And also:

Quote:
Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver.1 This is one death every 50 minutes.1 The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion.2
How many of those accidents can be avoided with autonomous vehicles ?

Quote:
DoT researchers estimate that fully autonomous vehicles, also known as self-driving cars, could reduce traffic fatalities by up to 94 percent by eliminating those accidents that are due to human error.

Does your "right" to drive a manual transmission, by hand, outweigh one's right to a safer road ? It's an interest moral debate, that's for sure.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
Yes, most people would.

I would agree that autonomous vehicles are one of the best things to happen to the automobile. The main reason ? Safety. Here are the current stats:

And also:

How many of those accidents can be avoided with autonomous vehicles ?

Does your "right" to drive a manual transmission, by hand, outweigh one's right to a safer road ? It's an interest moral debate, that's for sure.

Well, luckily for me, the infernal contraptions are years off in the future. And I have been involved in exactly ZERO collisions that were my fault.

And, so far, these creepy robot cars have killed several of their occupants and an unfortunate bicyclist.

Last edited by BashedBarrique; Yesterday at 09:15 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Even the NY Times reports that self-driving cars are not arriving any time soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/b...mous-cars.html
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Thanks. Yes, I know the "economy guage" or whatever it's called that shows you if your burning gas or not rides high at higher rpms, but as long as it's not damaging, that's what my main concern is. I try not to shift at low rpms, the car hiccups and my goal is to make the transition of gears seamless . I can spend an extra few cents on the gas. I was just concerned that driving at 4000rpms for a block or two was detrimental to the car.i just dont feel right when I take 1st gear up tp 3500rpms +. I guess it just sounds worse than it is. I'm always afraid that I'm stressing something. Now that I know it's safe, I'll become more at ease when changing gears. Oh, what exactly(in layman's terms) does that clutch delete do? Thanks!!
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Well, luckily for me, the infernal contraptions are years off in the future. And I have been involved in exactly ZERO collisions that were my fault.

And, so far, these creepy robot cars have killed several of their occupants and an unfortunate bicyclist.
Yeah I'm not saying YOU make the road less safe, just to be clear. I would think that most folks on this forum are more adept to driving and pay more attention than the average person.

Well, like the DoT projections say, 94% of accidents. Not 100%. The fact is though, there is a measurable and material safety difference between the two that can't be ignored. Take a look at how many Tesla's have avoided accidents that every expert and computer modeling has shown would not have been avoidable if a human was controlling the vehicle.

Quote:
Even the NY Times reports that self-driving cars are not arriving any time soon.
It's kind of funny how some people get their backs against a wall and their defenses up because they're afraid or unhappy about a change in society. Reminds me of all the people who said computers would never wind up in everyone's home. Or the ones who said that texting was a fad and would die out.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Oh, what exactly(in layman's terms) does that clutch delete do? Thanks!!
There is a little valve in the hydraulic line from the clutch master cylinder to the clutch slave. It is designed to delay clutch engagement to prevent rapid engagement of the gears that might cause damage to the transmission. It also introduces a delay in clutch engagement and makes the engagement kinda awkward, or nonlinear. It isn't horrible, but the action of the clutch is much more direct and smooth with it removed.

I was surprised how much nicer my clutch, in my E90 325i, engaged after I removed it. If you are still relatively unskilled with the clutch it might be a good idea to wait to delete the valve until you feel confident in your skills.

Here is a link to a forum on how to delete it.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29828
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Quote:

It's kind of funny how some people get their backs against a wall and their defenses up because they're afraid or unhappy about a change in society. Reminds me of all the people who said computers would never wind up in everyone's home. Or the ones who said that texting was a fad and would die out.
I'm no Luddite. I have no problem with technologies that improve my life. I just don't see becoming a passive passenger in my own car, or one owned by the government or a big corporation, as improving my life. I LOVE driving my cars. Even if doing so increases my risks of injury or death.

Life is full of risk/reward decisions and I don't put personal safety at the top of my priority list.

Ben Frankiln once said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Last edited by BashedBarrique; Yesterday at 11:05 AM. Reason: redundant quotes
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: X3
As I'm approaching 70 in a few years, I'll gladly welcome self-driving vehicles to extend my time on the roads. I wonder what the driver's license will list my skill level at. I hope there are self driving motorcycles as well.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I'm no Luddite. I have no problem with technologies that improve my life. I just don't see becoming a passive passenger in my own car, or one owned by the government or a big corporation, as improving my life. I LOVE driving my cars. Even if doing so increases my risks of injury or death.

Life is full of risk/reward decisions and I don't put personal safety at the top of my priority list.

Ben Frankiln once said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
"or one owned by the government or a big corporation"
Are you afraid of the government having some control of your autonomous vehicle ? If so, why ?

"Even if doing so increases my risks of injury or death"
Here's the thing, you're also increasing my risk of injury or death. This is one of the pillars of the whole debate / discussion. It's like arguing against vaccines. They're not just for you, but the collective good of society as a whole.

"Ben Frankiln once said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.""
Ben Franklin lived in the 1700s. He didn't know what an automobile was or what the concept even was. So to use that phrase in today's context.... Yeah...... Another point here is that driving your own vehicle vs being autonomously driven has nothing to do with "essential Liberty". There is no personal freedom lost or gained by manually operating a piece of machinery. If there is, then you should be equally as distraught about auto pilots on commercial aircraft, a computer making mathematical calculations, ABS deciding you stomped on the brakes too hard, etc etc.

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM

Thanks. Yes, until I can change gears instinctively, I wouldnt want that. I'll research and after I get better at it I'll seriously consider it.
Thanks
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

Quote:
"or one owned by the government or a big corporation"
Are you afraid of the government having some control of your autonomous vehicle ? If so, why ?

"Even if doing so increases my risks of injury or death"
Here's the thing, you're also increasing my risk of injury or death. This is one of the pillars of the whole debate / discussion. It's like arguing against vaccines. They're not just for you, but the collective good of society as a whole.

"Ben Frankiln once said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.""
Ben Franklin lived in the 1700s. He didn't know what an automobile was or what the concept even was. So to use that phrase in today's context.... Yeah...... Another point here is that driving your own vehicle vs being autonomously driven has nothing to do with "essential Liberty". There is no personal freedom lost or gained by manually operating a piece of machinery. If there is, then you should be equally as distraught about auto pilots on commercial aircraft, a computer making mathematical calculations, ABS deciding you stomped on the brakes too hard, etc etc.
Yukoner,

Buddy, we're all in this together. If the robot cars come to pass and they truly are as wonderful as you anticipate (delivering an instantaneous, super safe, driving utopia) I'll hang up my keys and climb into my autonomous pod.

I doubt that day is coming anytime soon, so I'll be out on the road banging off clean shifts as I approach that next apex.
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
As I'm approaching 70 in a few years, I'll gladly welcome self-driving vehicles to extend my time on the roads. I wonder what the driver's license will list my skill level at. I hope there are self driving motorcycles as well.
I understand where you're coming from hogwldfltr. I just turned 60 and I remember the day my dad had to turn in his car keys. I would prefer being chauffeured by a robot car to being completely immobile.

Until that day comes I'll be out on the road rowing through the gears and loving every minute of it!
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Maybe we should just turn in our keys and ride the bus to our government subsadized housing. We could then be taxed 70% to pay for every one that doesnt want to work and the out of control government. We can stay inside watch TV and play video games so we dont endanger anyone.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtmvr View Post
Maybe we should just turn in our keys and ride the bus to our government subsadized housing. We could then be taxed 70% to pay for every one that doesnt want to work and the out of control government. We can stay inside watch TV and play video games so we dont endanger anyone.
Yes, that sounds great. I just hope that I won't trigger any oppressed, non-binary people of color when I enter cyber-space. I just need to shut up and listen.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search