Stealership indeed - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: x1
Stealership indeed

I had a coupon for a $60 oil change so I decided to go to where I bought the car. I hadn't been back since the free maintenance ran out. I was due for a brake flush, so I told them to do that too ($180!!!!).

The guy comes out and verifies I want the oil change, brake flush. Says I'm due for plugs, which I declined, then says:

Your front and rear brake pads are low. This was before they even inspected it. I was like, "Well, that's odd because I just changed my fronts last week!"

****ers were trying to upsell me brakes! After the service I get a video of the inspection and the tech miraculously said my front and rear brakes were fine.

They were actually going to go ahead and change my brakes without even first inspecting them!

BMW Watertown, CT. Never will I go back!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2020, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo777 View Post
They were actually going to go ahead and change my brakes without even first inspecting them!
... or just TELL you they changed your brakes and charge you for the job.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:05 PM

Exactly. Brand new pads and aftermarket rotors on the front. Drilled rotors so that should've been a clue right off the bat to them that they're different. They didn't even look before trying to upsell. I'd be curious if I did have them do it and have drilled rotors again up front.

Just a completely scummy thing to do for a dealer.

They also used to wash the car as part of the service, but I guess that went out with the free maintenance. That would make up for at least part of what is normally a $150 oil change!

I should've probably marked the oil filter beforehand as they obviously can't be trusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2020, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I used to live in Virginia, and I bought my first BMW up there. I went to Checker Flag BMW, Virginia Beach in 2002 for my first oil change, which is free under "free maintenance." The service writer tried to charge me $200. He said that oil changes are free, but I got an "oil service and that's $200." I told him to call 911, and he backed down.

BMW of Bubbaville charged me $152 for a brake fluid change last year. Your post doesn't show where you live, but if it's NYC, LA, Hawaii, Alaska, or some other high cost-of-living area, $180's not unreasonable.

BMW of Bubbaville's gone up on their prices in the last few years, but they're honest.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:05 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Checkered Flag BMW, Virginia Beach. Home of a number of racing buddies, perhaps John Finger, King of the Mountain.

Years and years ago I lived for a month or so out at Virginia Beach while taking a ship's overhaul contract out from under NNSY's nose. When we got there, a crew of engineers doing the estimation for the competitive bidding, they were all kissy kissy, with great waterfront parking. When it became obvious that we were going to under bid them we had to take a wimp-bus from the north-forty parking we were then assigned. It was a tough job but some one had to do it and our travel office hated having to put us up in a beachfront condo. And there's a wild story about the aircraft refit facility nearby that I'm gonna have to ask for rememberances, ...

Before that, I became acquainted with John Finger while we were racing at Chimney Rock Park in North Carolina.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-29-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Checkered Flag BMW, Virginia Beach. Home of a number of racing buddies, perhaps John Finger, King of the Mountain.
They've been around since the 1960's, but bought out the original Virginia Beach BMW dealership back in the 1980's. We thought about moving back there after we retired. We decided not to, but if we did I would have sold my BMW before doing so... based on that one oil change.

In contrast, BMW of Bubbaville (Sansing BMW of Pensacola) has been so honest over the 12 years I dealt with them that I bought a 535i instead of the 911 I really wanted. I mentioned that in a BMW NA survey, and it made if up the chain at BMW NA and over to Mr. Sansing and then down to the BMW service manager. It made her day.

I thought about an M5, but decided to save $50k and 1000 of gasoline over 100k miles). I probably only have one more fast car in my future. If they figure out how to have a spare tire for a 911 (complicated by the 992's back tires being a 1" larger rolling diameter than the front tires), I'll buy one.

The Interwebs shows John Finger's operation is in Greenville, SC.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-29-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I used to live in Virginia, and I bought my first BMW up there. I went to Checker Flag BMW, Virginia Beach in 2002 for my first oil change, which is free under "free maintenance." The service writer tried to charge me $200. He said that oil changes are free, but I got an "oil service and that's $200." I told him to call 911, and he backed down.

BMW of Bubbaville charged me $152 for a brake fluid change last year. Your post doesn't show where you live, but if it's NYC, LA, Hawaii, Alaska, or some other high cost-of-living area, $180's not unreasonable.

BMW of Bubbaville's gone up on their prices in the last few years, but they're honest.
Watertown, being next to Waterbury, CT, is not on the same level as NYC or LA by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, the brake flush price isn't my complaint, though it seems stupidly high.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Just have to ask... is there a chance they looked at your brakes via the iDrive or CBS and it showed they were due for a change?
Just thinking if you changed yours DIY and didn't reset the interval it might appear that they need changing without actually looking at the pad wear.
If not, yes shady.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 sDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo777 View Post
They also used to wash the car as part of the service, but I guess that went out with the free maintenance. That would make up for at least part of what is normally a $150 oil change!
I used to detail cars (machine polishing paint correction) The dealership courtesy wash is one of the worst things for your car's paint - avoid it if you can. More often than not, courtesy washes are conducted by the dealership's lowest paid, unskilled workers (lot boys). They're not taking their time doing a good job with the wash. They process your courtesy wash ASAP to get your car out of their bay to make room for the next customer. They will use the same bucket of dirty water to wash your car as the previous 3-4 cars that were washed before yours, and the grit and grime from those other washes gets transferred to your car's paint, marring the clearcoat layer finish with fine swirls. I even bought a sign from a detailing site to hang on my rear view instructing, NO CAR WASH!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search