Power door locks not working - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:25 PM
The Arkleyologist

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
Power door locks not working

I recently installed an aftermarket jvc radio in my 1997 Z3. After doing this my power door locks stopped working. When I press the fob I get the "chirp" but the door locks do not operate. I have done enough research to realize the reason for this is the switch located under the dash, behind the radio, is not activated because the plastic "stub" attached to the rear of all bmw radios is not being inserted into the switch because it is not present on the jvc aftermarket radio. I was able to "fool" the switch just one time by inserting a plastic plug into the switch. I really would like to know two things..
1. How do I remove the switch?
2. What do I do with the 2 wire plug (that goes into the switch) after removing the switch?
Here is a picture of the switch..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2994.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	846611  

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 04-05-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 05:43 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEBOY View Post
1. How do I remove the switch?
2. What do I do with the 2 wire plug (that goes into the switch) after removing the switch?
Here is a picture of the switch..
Posts #6-on in this thread say just unplug the switch.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...sue-with-Radio
And same in
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...09&postcount=3
Old 04-06-2019, 07:31 AM
The Arkleyologist

Thanks vintage..I had seen that posting and it was informative, but I could not figure out how to remove the actual square/black switch..I guess the alternative would be to unplug the brown/green*yellow wires from the switch to see if that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 03:23 PM
The Arkleyologist

Finally figured it out...that picture I posted above is the complete assembly with the separate two wire plug attached to the bottom/side. The two wire plug snaps into the larger plastic block. You can pull the two wire plug assembly completely off the larger block, and then remove the 2 wire plug from that. You tuck the two wires with its female plug back into the rear of the dash (not connected to anything, just hanging there) I elected to put the smaller block which receives the 2 wire plug on the back protrusion of the cd43 radio in case I ever decide to reinstall the original radio. All is now working well along with the power door locks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_154928.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	846807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3005.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	846809   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_155002.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	846811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2996.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	846813  

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 04-06-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:18 PM
The Arkleyologist

One last caveat...my last post fixed the power door locks...no problem....but...now when I attempt to lock or unlock the doors with the actual key the alarm goes off...this is quickly remedied by starting the car and all is well. When I get around to it, I am going to remove the aftermarket radio again and plug the two wire connection (which is now just dangling under the dash) into the switch (which is now just attached to the cd43 sitting on my workbench) and put a dummy piece into the switch to fool the circuit..will let all know the results.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
One last caveat...my last post fixed the power door locks...no problem....but...now when I attempt to lock or unlock the doors with the actual key the alarm goes off...this is quickly remedied by starting the car and all is well. When I get around to it, I am going to remove the aftermarket radio again and plug the two wire connection (which is now just dangling under the dash) into the switch (which is now just attached to the cd43 sitting on my workbench) and put a dummy piece into the switch to fool the circuit..will let all know the results.
The circuit is normally open (as when the stock radio is installed). Pulling the plug will just ensure that the circuit remains open. I think the probability that plugging it back in will fix the alarm going off is low, but worth the effort.

Update:
I just tested mine and it does the same thing. SO, yours is working as designed.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: '02 Z3, '05 Jeep Wrangler
When I purchased my Z3 last year, the PO had installed an after market stereo. When I arm my alarm, I can open, or shut the door locks with the Viper Alarm. Or with the fob. Not really understanding the purpose of the switch in the post. Does it sense that there is an open circuit in the system?? Be kind, I'm old...........
Old 04-10-2019, 01:38 PM
The Arkleyologist

Z3 slead...I get it...I'm in my mid 70's...takes me forever to figure this stuff out. I can only tell you this much..when I purchased my z3 it had the factory alarm and the factory radio. With this set up the door locks worked with the key fob and the key..no problem. As you probably know, the factory radio chassis has a threaded bolt, about an inch long, at the rear with a 3/8" piece of plastic threaded on the bolt. I always assumed this was simply a locater that helped support the rear of the radio, because that bolt slides into a piece of plastic underneath the dash. I have installed after market radios in four different z3's (although none of those had an alarm system). This current z3 has the alarm system. If you look at the threaded post receptacle under the the dash of this car, there is an always closed switch within the receptacle...when you insert the factory radio, the threaded post with plastic cover actually opens the switch..I am thinking this simply verifies the presence of the radio.

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 04-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:56 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3 slead View Post
When I purchased my Z3 last year, the PO had installed an after market stereo. When I arm my alarm, I can open, or shut the door locks with the Viper Alarm. Or with the fob. Not really understanding the purpose of the switch in the post. Does it sense that there is an open circuit in the system?? Be kind, I'm old...........
Z3 slead: The switch in the post is designed to set off the alarm if someone removes the radio when the alarm is set. I have never figured out how someone could get to the radio without setting off the alarm.

Quote:
there is an always closed switch within the receptacle...when you insert the factory radio, the threaded post with plastic cover actually opens the switch..I am thinking this simply verifies the presence of the radio.
ZEEBOY: Actually the switch is open until the post is removed. This will cause the switch to close and set off the alarm. That is why you can just unplug it so the circuit is always open and it will disable the switch. You have the right idea, just a little bit backwards.

Also, I'll bet we all graduated from HS about the same time.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:27 PM
The Arkleyologist

Khammack...yep, we are saying the same thing...now if I could just get the definition of open and close correct..chuckle..
Graduated HS 1961...

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 04-10-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Quote:
Khammack...yep, we are saying the same thing...now if I could just get the definition of open and close correct..chuckle..
Graduated HS 1961...
You have me beat by just a few years.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search