Supercharger kits! For 1998 z3! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW z3 1998
Supercharger kits! For 1998 z3!

I'm looking into buying the VF supercharger kit for my 2.8 z3 just wanted to hear some feedback from any of you guys that have tried out/have the kit installed. Or if any of you have a better supercharger/turbo kit option please let me know about it. Questions are how much did you pay for the VF kit? Reliability? Power increase notice? Worth the money? Difficult to install? What tools do you need to install it? And what mods do you suggest to do first before buying and putting in the kit. I know there's threads about this already but I can't seem to find a recent threat about it, maybe there's way better options or the kits are built different now. Thank you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
As far as I know, the VF is the only kit still available. I will be interested in any other replies as well.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:27 AM
Yoda with a library card

Mein Auto: 1999 M Coupe
VF makes a good product although there will be some fabrication necessary. It is not perfect to our cars. I only have personal knowledge of the kit on an S-52 motor but I know some have put it on other motors. Power is significantly increased however in order to do it safely, you will need to get a custom tune for it. Not too many have been happy with the tune VF supplies. I know many VF charged cars that have gone for years without issue.
1995 318i spray paint red, 170,000 miles and climbing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
If increasing the HP, you should look into doing a sub-frame reinforcement otherwise you will probably end up with frame problems. You can search the forum and Randy Forbes subframe kit.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
VF makes a good product although there will be some fabrication necessary. It is not perfect to our cars. I only have personal knowledge of the kit on an S-52 motor but I know some have put it on other motors. Power is significantly increased however in order to do it safely, you will need to get a custom tune for it. Not too many have been happy with the tune VF supplies. I know many VF charged cars that have gone for years without issue.

What do you mean fabrication?
Old 03-19-2018, 05:55 AM
Yoda with a library card

I mean the kit is not 100% bolt on. The kit was not designed specifically for the Z3 platform. It's really close. I have not installed it myself but the few people I know that have said there was finding a few hoses to fit and maybe something else. There are write ups about it and what was needed around this forum or another so that would be the best source of info.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfunk View Post
If increasing the HP, you should look into doing a sub-frame reinforcement otherwise you will probably end up with frame problems. You can search the forum and Randy Forbes subframe kit.
Take this to heart and do this first. You will rip your car apart if you supercharge it without strengthening the trunk floor differential mount.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Danomite

Mein Auto: SC'd Z3 3.0 Coupe
Quote:
Quote:
I mean the kit is not 100% bolt on. The kit was not designed specifically for the Z3 platform. It's really close. I have not installed it myself but the few people I know that have said there was finding a few hoses to fit and maybe something else. There are write ups about it and what was needed around this forum or another so that would be the best source of info.
Completely incorrect. I have a VF kit on my car, and it included everything I needed EXACTLY for my Z3! Please stop passing on misinformation...unless you have first-hand knowledge of something like this. Whoever you heard these stories from (or whoever wrote the stories you read) must've simply gotten the wrong kit.

Lerodriguez, you can contact VF via email or phone to ask them any questions you might have. They're a really good company, and have helped me many times with servicing questions, mapping, custom upgrades, etc. Get your info directly from the manufacturer...and take any "...I heard it from a guy whose brother's friend did a thing, blah, blah..." with a grain of salt. I have first-hand knowledge, cuz I bought and installed my kit myself. I started on a Saturday morning, and was finished by late afternoon. All plug-n-play, no fabrication needed. I have an M54 3.0, and my kit was specifically made for a Z3 with a M54B30...just make sure you get a Z3 kit, not a 328i kit.

Good luck, and happy boosting!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Yoda with a library card

As I stated earlier, I have knowledge of the S-52 motor installs. I did a lot of research before I decided to NOT supercharge my car. It has nothing to do with the quality of the VF kit. I believe it is the best way to increase your HP for the $$$. For my purposes, I need something with a way to cool the charge as I routinely track my car. I know the owner of the car in the below thread well. I have driven his car and have gone over every inch under his hood. The kit may be perfectly bolt on for some cars, it is not for mine as I stated. You can see from the below thread that there was some "figuring it out." Hopefully VF has remedied their kit for the Z3. It has been 4 years since I considered supercharging my car so I admit that I don't know what they have done since then and that is an over site on my part. . I know Ralph provided some feedback to VF. I also know he (plus a few other S-52 supercharged cars) have complained about the VF tune and have gone with custom dyno tunes. On this forum I tend to be much more generic on my responses because the information that is needed is usually on other forums and I try to not send people away from this one.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...t-instal-notes
Old 03-20-2018, 08:49 PM
Danomite

Mein Auto: SC'd Z3 3.0 Coupe
Quote:
As I stated earlier, I have knowledge of the S-52 motor installs. I did a lot of research before I decided to NOT supercharge my car. It has nothing to do with the quality of the VF kit. I believe it is the best way to increase your HP for the $$$. For my purposes, I need something with a way to cool the charge as I routinely track my car. I know the owner of the car in the below thread well. I have driven his car and have gone over every inch under his hood. The kit may be perfectly bolt on for some cars, it is not for mine as I stated. You can see from the below thread that there was some "figuring it out." Hopefully VF has remedied their kit for the Z3. It has been 4 years since I considered supercharging my car so I admit that I don't know what they have done since then and that is an over site on my part. . I know Ralph provided some feedback to VF. I also know he (plus a few other S-52 supercharged cars) have complained about the VF tune and have gone with custom dyno tunes. On this forum I tend to be much more generic on my responses because the information that is needed is usually on other forums and I try to not send people away from this one.

Still incorrect. VF do indeed make a direct bolt-on kit for S52 Z3s...but it sounds like you want a stage 2+ set-up. The OP wasn't asking about any custom or stage 2+ stuff though...he simply asked about their standard kit. Their standard kit comes with everything you (or any other s52-powered Z3 owner) needs to do the install, and have a supercharged Z3...there is no fabrication necessary. Furthermore, if it's a charge-cooled system that YOU are looking for, you could get the VF kit, and simply add a water-to-air system quite easily...like the RMS stage 2 add-on kit. As for the tuning, VF may have had some slight quirks in the early 2000's, but they've been on top of things since at least 2007 when I started installing their products. VF supply a conservative, well-researched and tested tune with their products, to ensure the safety and long-term reliability of their customer's vehicles. If you want a custom tune for more power, that's a personal preference, and has nothing to do with what a manufacturer supplies.

Lerodriguez: Do a search on bimmerforums and here for a guy named luciano136...he had a VF supercharged 2.8, and wrote extensively about it. He boosted his way back in 2006, and never had any issues with it as far as I know.

*Found this: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180698

Old 03-23-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danomite View Post
Quote:

Still incorrect. VF do indeed make a direct bolt-on kit for S52 Z3s...but it sounds like you want a stage 2+ set-up. The OP wasn't asking about any custom or stage 2+ stuff though...he simply asked about their standard kit. Their standard kit comes with everything you (or any other s52-powered Z3 owner) needs to do the install, and have a supercharged Z3...there is no fabrication necessary. Furthermore, if it's a charge-cooled system that YOU are looking for, you could get the VF kit, and simply add a water-to-air system quite easily...like the RMS stage 2 add-on kit. As for the tuning, VF may have had some slight quirks in the early 2000's, but they've been on top of things since at least 2007 when I started installing their products. VF supply a conservative, well-researched and tested tune with their products, to ensure the safety and long-term reliability of their customer's vehicles. If you want a custom tune for more power, that's a personal preference, and has nothing to do with what a manufacturer supplies.

Lerodriguez: Do a search on bimmerforums and here for a guy named luciano136...he had a VF supercharged 2.8, and wrote extensively about it. He boosted his way back in 2006, and never had any issues with it as far as I know.

*Found this: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180698

Hey brother can you private message me since you have a supercharged z3
Old 03-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
I talked with VF Engineering the other day. They have improved the supercharger for my 2001 M54 3.0 liter (don't know about other engines). The new V3 oils itself which means no hose running to the oil pan which might make it easier to install and maintain. $4495 is the price which includes tuning (normally $500) I would need to send them my ECU (DME) unit. I imagine there's some shipping cost but didn't get into that. Here's a link that might help. http://www.vfengineering.com/z3-1997-02/

Dan, if you can add to this information, please chime in.

Last edited by morrieschoice; 03-24-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3M Roadster
VF Supercharger

Hello all,

When VF had their Black Friday 10% off sale I threw out all reasoning and decided to pull the trigger, and ordered their Supercharger kit for my 2000 Z3M AC Schnitzer Roadster . This has been a dream of mine since I bought the roadster a few years ago. My mechanic's only issue was getting the tune file off my car through the hex programming cable I bought from VF, but it worked out in the end. My goal was to make a great car even better, and I cannot express how very happy I am with the increase in performance. The additional power is not overwhelming by any means, but man oh man its more than enough for me. I love how linear and smooth the power comes on, and the higher the rpm the more you feel it, without any lag. If you're looking to build a race car, you might want to go with something else, but if you want reliability and a huge increase in fun factor, this is the way to go. I originally wanted the 2001 with the S54 engine but couldn't find one in my price range, now I have a more reliable engine with even more power, and I'm totally satisfied. I highly recommend VF as a company, they were very helpful throughout the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supercharged.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	847997   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_183738_resized.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	847999   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180608_170622_resized.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	848001  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search