Oil change at regular garage - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-01-2019, 05:46 PM
sergio.dipaola sergio.dipaola is offline
Registered User
Location: QC
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 328d
Oil change at regular garage

Will my extended CPO Warranty be void if I have the oil changed at a regular garage?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,249
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Your car probably requires a BMW Long Life oil, and one specifically made for BMW diesels. Don't expect to find those oils at Jiffy Lube.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:10 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,298
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio.dipaola View Post
Will my extended CPO Warranty be void if I have the oil changed at a regular garage?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk


Does your receipt display the brand of oil or just the weight and viscosity?


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 PM
edycol edycol is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,312
Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Oil change at regular garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio.dipaola View Post
Will my extended CPO Warranty be void if I have the oil changed at a regular garage?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk


You can change oil in your own garage or even at parking lot if you want. Per Magnusson-Moss Act as long as you use approved oil and filter, you are fine.
If you take your car to some fast oil change place, they might change your oil but do not expect to be filled with appropriate oil. Now, that is how you get in trouble.
I see you have 328d. You MUST use oil that has BMW LL04 approval. Chances of fast oil change place having LL04 are about 0.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by edycol; 07-01-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:22 PM
sergio.dipaola sergio.dipaola is offline
Registered User
Location: QC
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 328d
My mechanic has his Class 1 and runs a legit shop. I just don't want to have any problems. I guess I'll take it to the dealer and play it safe.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2019, 11:18 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,131
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Your car probably requires a BMW Long Life oil, and one specifically made for BMW diesels. Don't expect to find those oils at Jiffy Lube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
...
I see you have 328d. You MUST use oil that has BMW LL04 approval. Chances of fast oil change place having LL04 are about 0.
Actually, JiffyLube uses Pennzoil. Shell makes Pennzoil. There's one about 1 block from my condo building; I walked in and asked and they have it. I even insisted to see the container.

Don't know if they have a filter. I also don't trust their so-called "techs" at all. And they always try to sell you an oil filter.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:57 AM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,249
Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Actually, JiffyLube uses Pennzoil. Shell makes Pennzoil. There's one about 1 block from my condo building; I walked in and asked and they have it. I even insisted to see the container.

Don't know if they have a filter. I also don't trust their so-called "techs" at all. And they always try to sell you an oil filter.
Not all Pennzoil synthetics are BMW LL04. The Platinum Euro L is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2019, 05:09 AM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,801
Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Most dealers run a "Value Service" $89 oil change special. Why run the risk of having some idiot use the wrong oil just to save $20 or $30?

You can do the cabin air filter and engine oil filter yourself.
__________________
Current BMW's:
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2019, 09:39 AM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,006
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Most dealers run a "Value Service" $89 oil change special. Why run the risk of having some idiot use the wrong oil just to save $20 or $30?

You can do the cabin air filter and engine oil filter yourself.

Local value service for F30 is as follows:


$89.95* for 3 Series 4 cylinder models
$99.95** for 3 Series 6 cylinder models
$105.95Ü for 3 Series diesel models

The price includes engine oil filter, no need to DIY.

The cabin air filter is around $40 each, and DIY can be PITA, the panel needs to be perfectly aligned to pop back in.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2019, 10:35 PM
edycol edycol is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,312
Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio.dipaola View Post
My mechanic has his Class 1 and runs a legit shop. I just don't want to have any problems. I guess I'll take it to the dealer and play it safe.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk


Figure out how to DIY. When it comes to oil in engine, I donít trust anyone, including dealership.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.