2013 335i A/C Issue - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2014, 01:22 AM
avatar220 avatar220 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport
2013 335i A/C Issue

Hey Guys,

I have a 2013 335i with about 3600 miles. I was making a trip down from NYC to DC (about 400 miles) and about 200 miles in, my a/c stops working. I turn up the fan and you can hear loudly the fan's running, but no cold air is coming out.

So I turned off my car and then waited a minute or so and turned it back on. It blew out cold air normally for about 2 mins and then the same problem happened. I've notice that if I turn off the fan completely while driving, wait a little and turn it back on, cold air comes for a little bit again and then stops (with the fan still running). Does any one know what's happening?

Also I leased the car in NY but can I bring it to a BMW service center down here in DC or Virginia to have them look at it?


Thanks !
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 AM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,326
Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
The warranty is honored by any authorized dealer in the US.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 AM
chiefneil's Avatar
chiefneil chiefneil is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,132
Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar220 View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a 2013 335i with about 3600 miles. I was making a trip down from NYC to DC (about 400 miles) and about 200 miles in, my a/c stops working. I turn up the fan and you can hear loudly the fan's running, but no cold air is coming out.

So I turned off my car and then waited a minute or so and turned it back on. It blew out cold air normally for about 2 mins and then the same problem happened. I've notice that if I turn off the fan completely while driving, wait a little and turn it back on, cold air comes for a little bit again and then stops (with the fan still running). Does any one know what's happening?

Also I leased the car in NY but can I bring it to a BMW service center down here in DC or Virginia to have them look at it?


Thanks !
Bring it to the nearest dealer. If they don't give you a loaner then look into BMW's trip interruption warranty coverage. I believe they cover about 1k in expenses. If you need to get back home before your car is repaired, BMW will also take responsibility for getting the car back to you.
__________________
Current Stable: 2014 335i M-Sport // 2012 X5 35i Premium // 2002 330i Sport
Out to Pasture: 2002 X5 3.0i // 1995 325i Sport

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 AM
avatar220 avatar220 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport
**Update**

In case anyone runs into the same problem in the future, here's an update to my A/C issue. Took the car to BMW of Alexandria (closest one) to get it looked at. They told me they ran it for about 15 minutes and the a/c looked like it acted fine. Said it might be a battery issue, but they said if it happens again, just tell my local service center and they'll replace the blower motor since it's covered under BMW warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2014, 04:26 PM
CE750Jockey's Avatar
CE750Jockey CE750Jockey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 612
Mein Auto: '19 M240 'vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar220 View Post
**Update**

In case anyone runs into the same problem in the future, here's an update to my A/C issue. Took the car to BMW of Alexandria (closest one) to get it looked at. They told me they ran it for about 15 minutes and the a/c looked like it acted fine. Said it might be a battery issue, but they said if it happens again, just tell my local service center and they'll replace the blower motor since it's covered under BMW warranty.
NO! NO! NO! I had this happen, I know all about it. Your dealer is wrong.

What's happening is that your a/c works fine for a while, but once it's been running for a while, like on a long road trip, there's a valve, I believe it was in the evaporator, that freezes up. Then, it'll pump some or a little air, but it won't be cold. Once the car is stopped and the ice in the valve melts, the a/c will work again...for a while. Then it'll do it again. It's definitely NOT the battery or the blower motor.

Take it back to your dealer and have them look this problem up with BMW service bulletins. It's a known problem. If they give you any crap, PM me, and I'll have my service guy look up my record and I'll give you the exact valve and bulletin numbers. They had to order the valve for me, once in, it took about an hour. Don't take "No" for an answer...it's freakin' hot out there and you paid good money for an a/c that's supposed to work.

Last edited by CE750Jockey; 07-07-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2014, 04:05 PM
avatar220 avatar220 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport
Thanks CE750Jockey ! That makes sense why they couldn't find out what was wrong. I'll definitely go do that now that I'm back in my home state. I'll also PM you for the bulletin so I don't have to waste my time with them explaining it.

Thanks again for your help!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
NO! NO! NO! I had this happen, I know all about it. Your dealer is wrong.

What's happening is that your a/c works fine for a while, but once it's been running for a while, like on a long road trip, there's a valve, I believe it was in the evaporator, that freezes up. Then, it'll pump some or a little air, but it won't be cold. Once the car is stopped and the ice in the valve melts, the a/c will work again...for a while. Then it'll do it again. It's definitely NOT the battery or the blower motor.

Take it back to your dealer and have them look this problem up with BMW service bulletins. It's a known problem. If they give you any crap, PM me, and I'll have my service guy look up my record and I'll give you the exact valve and bulletin numbers. They had to order the valve for me, once in, it took about an hour. Don't take "No" for an answer...it's freakin' hot out there and you paid good money for an a/c that's supposed to work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Raykiko335i Raykiko335i is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia, USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
The same happened to my AC on a return trip from northern VA to Chesapeake, VA. 2 hours into the trip and my AC just died and started blowing hot air. I shut of the air completely and still no joy. But when i used the fan with AC off i started hearing a hissing sound from the engine and turned the AC back on and cold air started to come out. Did you get the bulletin number and the valve that was causing the problem?


Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar220 View Post
Thanks CE750Jockey ! That makes sense why they couldn't find out what was wrong. I'll definitely go do that now that I'm back in my home state. I'll also PM you for the bulletin so I don't have to waste my time with them explaining it.

Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-03-2014, 09:14 PM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is offline
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,832
Mein Auto: Moped
Take it anywhere. Took my BMW dealer a few days to fix my AC though. Second BMW with a failed AC... plus I've always felt their ACs were extremely weak.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Newgene Newgene is offline
Registered User
Location: Beaumont, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
NO! NO! NO! I had this happen, I know all about it. Your dealer is wrong.

What's happening is that your a/c works fine for a while, but once it's been running for a while, like on a long road trip, there's a valve, I believe it was in the evaporator, that freezes up. Then, it'll pump some or a little air, but it won't be cold. Once the car is stopped and the ice in the valve melts, the a/c will work again...for a while. Then it'll do it again. It's definitely NOT the battery or the blower motor.

Take it back to your dealer and have them look this problem up with BMW service bulletins. It's a known problem. If they give you any crap, PM me, and I'll have my service guy look up my record and I'll give you the exact valve and bulletin numbers. They had to order the valve for me, once in, it took about an hour. Don't take "No" for an answer...it's freakin' hot out there and you paid good money for an a/c that's supposed to work.
That is exactly what ours is doing now. Anyone know exactly which part or service bulletin number this is? Ours is a 328d, but I'm sure it's the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Newgene Newgene is offline
Registered User
Location: Beaumont, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
Thanks for the informational PM, CE750Jockey. Just an update for everyone else. It looks it is service bulletin, SI B64 06 13. I spoke with the dealership, and they were aware of it. The cause is a frozen evaporator coil due to position of the evaporator temperature sensor. The fix is to install a new evaporator temperature sensor adapter.

If it turns out to be anything other than that, I'll definitely post back.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:47 PM
jeffilano jeffilano is offline
BMW_Cholo
Location: Orlando, FL USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: 335ih, 328d, M3
Just had this done on my 2013 BMW 335 Activehybrid 3 I have had AC issues for years on this vehicle and it currently only has 74K miles on it. The part known as the Adapter Evaporator BMW (64-11-9-350-495) only cost $2.00. The replaced it today but I scratch my head as to why after taking the vehicle into several BMW Dealership Repair facilities not a single tech knew about the SB 64 06 13 and Defect Code 6411794000 until today. Could have avoided sweating during the summer for the past several years. Has anyone had any fan issues that impacting the AC unit with their 3 series? Or after the adaptor still had issues with the AC freezing and blowing warm then cold air? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.