Okay, so what grade gas do I REALLY need? - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
If you reset your OBC MPG and trip odometer when you fill up, you can accurately determine what amounts of 87 AKI and 93 AKI you'll need to achieve 91 AKI....
My mind was warped after the first paragraph, maybe this is best handled by robots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
My mind was warped after the first paragraph, maybe this is best handled by robots!
Yeah, I know.

Another practical application of this is that I can often go another day before getting gas. I really don't like buying gasoline after sundown. Once I was on a road trip, after midnight, the temperature was about +20F, and I was driving through the boonies. When I stopped for dinner I did my fuel calculations and they showed that I have enough gas to get me where I was going. So, I didn't need to buy fuel until the next morning. I ended up getting 520 miles out of that tank of gas. When I filled up, I needed 17.2 gallons to fill my 18.5 gallon tank.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know.

Another practical application of this is that I can often go another day before getting gas. I really don't like buying gasoline after sundown. Once I was on a road trip, after midnight, the temperature was about +20F, and I was driving through the boonies. When I stopped for dinner I did my fuel calculations and they showed that I have enough gas to get me where I was going. So, I didn't need to buy fuel until the next morning. I ended up getting 520 miles out of that tank of gas. When I filled up, I needed 17.2 gallons to fill my 18.5 gallon tank.
Wow computing fuel consumption during dinner .... my brain is further warped.

This reminds me to check out the hidden menu fuel-related numbers, maybe there are things to be discovered, just like the system voltage numbers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Calculations

Quote:
If you reset your OBC MPG and trip odometer when you fill up, you can accurately determine what amounts of 87 AKI and 93 AKI you'll need to achieve 91 AKI. . . .

PM sent.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 04-23-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post

Since I've had the BMW 328i, I've been feeding it premium, 93. I intend to try what one of you suggested: Add just enough 87 to a full tank of 93 to have it come out as the recommended 91. That could save more than 2.00 a fill-up over, say, Exxon; more if I join Costco and start using their top-tier premium, which is vastly cheaper here than other stations. If my mileage and/or performance take a hit, I'll go back to 93.
You DO know that, if you kept Opel Insignia, you would have saved possibly $10,000 or so. That buys a lot of premium.

If you couldn't keep Insignia, instead of 328i you could have gone with an Accord. Not only you would have saved $10,000 but you would get a car that requires regular 87!

So, if saving $2.00 is THAT important, why didn't you save $10,000? Did you ever ask yourself that question?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 04-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
You DO know that, if you kept Opel Insignia, you would have saved possibly $10,000 or so. That buys a lot of premium.

If you couldn't keep Insignia, instead of 328i you could have gone with an Accord. Not only you would have saved $10,000 but you would get a car that requires regular 87!

So, if saving $2.00 is THAT important, why didn't you save $10,000? Did you ever ask yourself that question?

Large gains in efficiency can be achieved through a lot of small gains in efficiency. This is drilled into every engineer as part of the LEAN Six Sigma philosophy.

Gas blending saves me about $200/year and around $800 over the 100k miles we keep our BMW's. That's almost a new set of tires for our BMW's. It is a new set of tires for my Cobalt ($700), plus eight lunches ($100)

When the outside temperature is below 70 and it's not humid, I turn off the AC and open the windows.

When it's going to rain, I turn off the lawn irrigation.

I have a strategy to optimize the rebates on my credit card purchases. I get about $1000/year in cash rebates. I got $1700 in rebates on my BMW FS Visa card on Frau Putzer's X3 last year. I get $4k back on my GM Mastercard when I buy a GM beater.

I use synthetic oil in my non-BMW's even though it's not required (as it is in BMW's). That give me slightly better MPG (about 2%), keeps my engines healthy, and saves me a few bucks (~$30 per 8k mile oil change in my Cobalt vs. 4k mile drain intervals with crap oil) by lowering my fuel costs and extending my drain intervals. I buy my synthetic oil at Walmart when there's a $10/5-quart rebate going on with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum.

None of our current cars need top-off oil. But, when we had cars that did and it was near time for an oil change, I'd just top-off the oil to get it just above MIN, instead of throwing in a whole quart just to drain in out in a few weeks.

Through "tire whispering," I've averaged 55k miles on the tires I've taken from new to their end of life.

I can manipulate what my taxable income is each year. I do so to put myself right at the very top of the 12% bracket, avoiding the 22% bracket.

By recycling, I have decreased our household trash generation so that we could cut back from twice weekly pick up to once weekly. That saves between $100 and $120 each year. Actually, if there was bi-weekly pick-up, we could do that and still not have the 96-gallon can overflowing.

I buy bottled water, cat litter, laundry soap, coffee, toilet paper, paper towels, and AC filters when they're on sale at Sam's Club.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-24-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Large gains in efficiency can be achieved through a lot of small gains in efficiency. This is drilled into every engineer as part of the LEAN Six Sigma philosophy.
Sounds like a disciplined life!

To provide another perspective to the other poster's question of $2 versus $10k savings, my thinking can be condensed to one acronym, FMV.

The FMV of fuel is the cheapest price of the grade with no degradation of optimal performance. Anything else will be money left on the table.

The same goes with the prices of F30/G20/Model3/RT business/RT first, etc, etc, etc.

At times consumers get emotional, e.g. get hooked by the surging power band, slick marketing, sophisticated demos, eccentric personality, etc, etc.

Whenever one keeps thinking about it, then one is already too emotional to make rational judgement calls.

To stay relevant, let's look at 3-series versus Accord. A strategically-optioned F30 328i RWD or G20 330i RWD is around 15-20% more car, at 30% price premium than similarly equipped Accord. The RWD 50/50 chassis, ZF 8AT + I4 turbo combo, is one sweet package. Is it worth that extra $10k, or 30% price pemium? It would be up to interpretation.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a disciplined life!

To provide another perspective to the other poster's question of $2 versus $10k savings, my thinking can be condensed to one acronym, FMV.

The FMV of fuel is the cheapest price of the grade with no degradation of optimal performance. Anything else will be money left on the table.

The same goes with the prices of F30/G20/Model3/RT business/RT first, etc, etc, etc.

At times consumers get emotional, e.g. get hooked by the surging power band, slick marketing, sophisticated demos, eccentric personality, etc, etc.

Whenever one keeps thinking about it, then one is already too emotional to make rational judgement calls.

To stay relevant, let's look at 3-series versus Accord. A strategically-optioned F30 328i RWD or G20 330i RWD is around 15-20% more car, at 30% price premium than similarly equipped Accord. The RWD 50/50 chassis, ZF 8AT + I4 turbo combo, is one sweet package. Is it worth that extra $10k, or 30% price pemium? It would be up to interpretation.
The discipline in my life seems to vary, inversely proportional with how much crack I've been smoking. I'm still fat, and I shave every seven to 14 days whether I need to or not.

My current beater is a 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS. The SS package got me a 2.4 liters (vs. 2.2 liters for the base Cobalt), VVT, aluminum block engine, better tires, and better brakes including rear discs. It requires 91 AKI to run as advertised (an extra 25 h.p. over the base Cobalt, 173 h.p. vs. 148 h.p.). Lugging around town at low RPM, I can tell the difference if I'm running 87 AKI. It's sluggish and there's occasional pinging, and more so in hotter weather. But, it runs fine on the interstate with 87 AKI. I used the car for business trips, and I'd always use 87 AKI for the trips. That maximized my profit from taking my car on the trip, and getting reimbursed by my employer for mileage. I paid for about half of the Cobalt (bought new) from business trip reimbursement.

I look up the KBB value of my cars on the anniversaries of their purchases. Last time, the Cobalt actually appreciated about $150 over twelve months. It also did that back in 2011, when there was a shortage of used cars. But, it's now so old that GM's stopped selling interior trim parts for it. It's going to get replaced with a Chevy Sonic next year. I'm keeping the Cobalt until I wear out the current set of tires. I have Conti' DW's on the car, and I flick the thing around whenever I can. But, through tire whispering the DW's will still last 40k to 45k miles.

One of my redneck coworkers were always asking why anybody would buy a BMW. He drives an old, base model F-150 and his mother's old Honda Civic. The best answer I could come up with was that almost everything on a BMW is better than on a regular car. Sometimes, it's a little better. Sometimes, it's a lot better.

My lifetime average for tire life would have been 57k miles instead of 55k miles, except for me ditching the OE Goodyear LS2 RFT's that came on my 535i at 31k miles. The improvement was so great that I wish I'd ditched them at 31 miles.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-24-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:

Yes, I did. And I was tired of the sluggishness of the Buick Regal/Opel Insignia. It was a fine little car, but I really needed some more power. Accords, in fact most Japanese cars, didn't and don't interest me. And I'm not sure I could have gotten a recent model Accord, recent enough to have some warranty, for $13K.

Of course it's always cheaper to keep the car you have until the point where repairs every month average greater than a new(er) car note. But, as Autoputzer has said many times, those small things mount up. And it's like a game: Can you manage to come out even a little ahead in money without much loss of time? If this procedure winds up being a hassle or doesn't return enough, I'll drop it.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 04-25-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Yes, I did. And I was tired of the sluggishness of the Buick Regal/Opel Insignia. It was a fine little car, but I really needed some more power. Accords, in fact most Japanese cars, didn't and don't interest me. And I'm not sure I could have gotten a recent model Accord, recent enough to have some warranty, for $13K.

Of course it's always cheaper to keep the car you have until the point where repairs every month average greater than a new(er) car note. But, as Autoputzer has said many times, those small things mount up. And it's like a game: Can you manage to come out even a little ahead in money without much loss of time? If this procedure winds up being a hassle or doesn't return enough, I'll drop it.
No, I get it, we are all irrational to some points, none more so than Autoputzer

I will go through aggravation (the worst part of it) and 5 extra miles distance (which just might negate any real savings) and skip closest Shell or BP and go to Costco. That's just stupid, but I do it, I admit.

That said, I can only say that it is a bit strange to rationalize a BMW purchase and then try to save $2 on a fill up. Besides, believe me, this (89 vs 91 vs 93 octane) is the most debated and uncivilized argument on F3x and E9x forums. Maybe after RFT rants

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto:
'Tis just a game. That $2.00 will buy that week's car wash, for example. Not much else, but it will buy that.

I'm not trying to weasel out of buying 91 or better for the car; I knew that was the deal before I ever test-drove it. Besides, the BMW gets good enough gas mileage right now that my outgo roughly equals the cost of the 87 I put in the Buick. I just like the game.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
No, I get it, we are all irrational to some points, none more so than Autoputzer

I will go through aggravation (the worst part of it) and 5 extra miles distance (which just might negate any real savings) and skip closest Shell or BP and go to Costco. That's just stupid, but I do it, I admit.

That said, I can only say that it is a bit strange to rationalize a BMW purchase and then try to save $2 on a fill up. Besides, believe me, this (89 vs 91 vs 93 octane) is the most debated and uncivilized argument on F3x and E9x forums. Maybe after RFT rants
Whatchutalkinbout, Willis?

I have lunch with two (non-multi) millionaires almost every workday. They order water to drink, unless iced tea comes with the specials. We (them and I) go to Shane's Rib Shack about once a week. We buy Shane's gift cards at Costco ($20 for a $25 card). That's a $5 savings! That's like every fifth meal at Shane's for free!

Down at our favorite buffet, "The Trough." they have three meals: red plate, blue plate, and white plate. The red plate is one trip, all you can pile on. The blue place is a fixed number of sides and a fixed number of meats. The white plate is all the trips you want, piled as high as you want. We call that "White Privilege." There's a guy who eats there who gets the red plate and a water, and he drives there from his waterfront home in a brand new Porsche Turbo S. My millionaire friends pile everything they can on a red plate. But, their dessert is on the bottom, and their cheesecake ends up tasting like collard greens. If I'm really hungry, I spring the extra $3 for White Privilege. If I don't have lunch with my friends there, I go after 2 p.m. when White Privilege and tea for senior citizens is actually cheaper than the red plate and water. But, I give the waitress a few extra bucks.

Yesterday, I made about $10k. This morning I blended gas and saved $3.37... unless you deduct the 5% rebate I get on gasoline purchases. Then, I only saved $3.20. It looks like I'm only going to make $1k today. Some days I lose $10k, or $20k.

It's going to rain here tonight, so I turned the sprinkler system off.

Might negate your savings? It has cost me about $1.35/mile to own and drive my 535i since new, and that's down from $2/mile the first year I owned it. I mitigate the cost of owning a BMW by keeping them a long time. My average for car ownership is about 8.5 years and about 110k miles.

The cheapest Top Tier 93 AKI where I live is at a Circle K Shell station in the tourist area, a.k.a. "Condo Canyon." That station is particularly crowded and crowded with ***holes and tourists. So, I combine my fill-ups with a trip to the nearby Hardee's at about 6 a.m., when all the ***holes and tourists are still sleepy-sleep. Today, I zipped in, made my two purchases (93 AKI and 87 AKI), and I was on my way.

It takes me about one extra minute to end the first purchase and make the second purchase. But, saving ~ $3 by doing so works out to $180/hour for my time.

Put me in the "RFT's suck" camp.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-25-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto:
I hadn't thought of my savings as being worth so much of my time -- 2.00 x 60 minutes = $120/hour. Interesting. And I too try to do my errands early on Saturday and Sunday before the roads get clogged and the heat becomes truly brain-melting.

The local Costco may not be such a grand savings over the local Exxons as I thought. The latter's 93 is $2.76 at one station near my house, and I get .06/gal. off with their card. Costco's 93 as of today is at $2.69. Not much of a savings unless you compare it to a Shell at $3.19 or an Exxon at $3.15. I may hold off on the Costco membership for now (I don't have a lot of use for giant quantities of cheese or cereal).

Oddly, my RFTs (17" wheels/225-50) drive and ride just fine. The car is more comfortable than the Regal was, with its 18" wheel/235-50 tire combo. I expected the RFTs to be nasty, especially on the so-called streets here, but they aren't. I can only suppose that a set of all-season touring tires in the same size as the current RFTs will be quite nice.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
There's a guy who eats there who gets the red plate and a water, and he drives there from his waterfront home in a brand new Porsche Turbo S.
Oh, BS. That is you 12 months from now when 992 GT series comes out and you are just testing our reaction

Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Oh, BS. That is you 12 months from now when 992 GT series comes out and you are just testing our reaction
Porsche Taycan EV looks quite interesting too.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
We'll see. Actually, my next car is going to be a 2020 Chevy Sonic to replace my 2007 Chevy Cobalt beater. I've just about maximized my GM MasterCard rebate points for the year, necessary to maximize the points I can put toward another GM beater. But, I want to wear out the Conti' DW tires on the Cobalt before I get rid of it. So, I'll get the Sonic next April or May.

I'm waiting for the Porsche driving school at Barber Motorsports Park to replace their 991 fleet with 992's. When that happens, I'm going for a 3-day, 992 test drive.

The Turbo S guy must be in his late '70's. He owned the local VW-Honda dealership. Somebody ordered the Turbo S from his friend's Porsche dealership and backed out of the deal before the car was built and delivered. Turbo S's make lousy lot bunnies. So, "Red Plate" got a deal on it.

I have a friend who is a militant socialist. He hates "rich" people. Back in 2005, he was car shopping and test drove a Honda Accord at "Red Plate's" dealership. They parked the Honda in back and went back into the showroom through the back door. There was about a half-dozen covered parking spaces in back of the showroom building, and "Red Plate" had his Carrera 4S parked there. My socialist friend asked the salesman whose Porsche that was. When the salesman said it belonged to the dealership's owner, my socialist friend said "Well, he obviously doesn't need my business!," stormed off the lot, and bragged about doing so. He then bought a BMW 330ci.

For years we tried to get the militant socialist to come to The Trough with us on Fridays, so we could point to the Turbo S, tell him who it belonged to, and say "Yep, he really didn't need your business."

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-25-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I hadn't thought of my savings as being worth so much of my time -- 2.00 x 60 minutes = $120/hour. Interesting. And I too try to do my errands early on Saturday and Sunday before the roads get clogged and the heat becomes truly brain-melting.

The local Costco may not be such a grand savings over the local Exxons as I thought. The latter's 93 is $2.76 at one station near my house, and I get .06/gal. off with their card. Costco's 93 as of today is at $2.69. Not much of a savings unless you compare it to a Shell at $3.19 or an Exxon at $3.15. I may hold off on the Costco membership for now (I don't have a lot of use for giant quantities of cheese or cereal).

Oddly, my RFTs (17" wheels/225-50) drive and ride just fine. The car is more comfortable than the Regal was, with its 18" wheel/235-50 tire combo. I expected the RFTs to be nasty, especially on the so-called streets here, but they aren't. I can only suppose that a set of all-season touring tires in the same size as the current RFTs will be quite nice.
RFT's only ride bad when you hit a bump.

I'll admit that much of my distaste for RFT's is the result of my "tire whispering." RFT's inherently wear more on the edges than in the middle. That's because the sidewalls can't stretch in the circumferential direction. The lack of sidewall circumferential stretching causes the contact patch to buckle inward in the center, concentrating the weight and wear around the edge of the contact patch. This can be solved by over-inflating the tires, and that's what made my one set of RFT's ride and perform so horribly. Even at 15% over the decal pressures, my Goodyear RFT's still wore more on the edges.

I've been a militant advocate of synthetic oil since the early 1980's. I got tired of explaining that the quantifiable benefits (~2% better MPG, longer drain intervals) more than make up the extra cost, and the unquantifiable benefits (little or no engine deposits, reduced engine wear) are bonuses. So, I made a... wait for it... Excel spreadsheet. Given all the variables, it calculates the break-even drain interval for switching to synthetic, and then it calculates the savings from extending the drain interval even further. I do DIY oil changes were I use to work. When I include the cost of my time doing an oil change, the savings from synthetic are huge. But, I'm retired now, so my time is worth $0/hour.

I grew up in Norfolk, Virginia. There was an Exxon station there that was the 2nd largest Exxon dealer in the U.S. They got that way by selling gas cheap. The largest Exxon dealer was at one end of the Lincoln Tunnel. There was also an Exxon terminal in Norfolk. It seemed like when they had more 91 AKI than they could sell or store, they'd dump in the station's 87 AKI tank. Sometimes I'd fill up my mother's car with supposedly 87 AKI and it'd run great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425 synthetic vs conventional spreadsheet snapshot.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	849473  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-25-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: M240i
Wow, I clicked on this thread expecting silliness but got lots of actually very useful information. First about empirical 87 vs 91 experiences. And genius gas mixing to target exactly 91 octane! Thanks for the read Autoputzer.

Here's one of the best studies I've seen, from AAA, which found an average 2.7% MPG and 1.4% horsepower improvement across 6 models:

https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/...rt-FINAL-2.pdf
http://news.aaa-calif.com/internal_r...ORT-FINAL2.pdf

Ford F-150: 5%, Cadillac Escalade 7.1%, Mazda Miata 0.7%, Audi A3 -1.0%, Ford Mustang 2.3%, Jeep Renegade 1.9%

I remember one Consumer Reports (?) study on the ACTUAL difference in MPG between premium and regular for both cars that did not recommend, and cars that also recommended premium. I may be mis-remembering, but the articles I could find are (1) for the Acura TLX
https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...d-premium-gas/
(2)
https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...g-premium.html

In CA, the regular/premium delta is very small, usually 20-40 cents and $4 vs. $4.20 making it 5-10%, but in other states, percentage wise it is huge because you're going from about $2 to $2.70 or something (30-35%).

Last edited by angelzero; 04-25-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelzero View Post
Wow, I clicked on this thread expecting silliness but got lots of actually very useful information. First about empirical 87 vs 91 experiences. And genius gas mixing to target exactly 91 octane! Thanks for the read Autoputzer.

Here's one of the best studies I've seen, from AAA, which found an average 2.7% MPG and 1.4% horsepower improvement across 6 models:

https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/...rt-FINAL-2.pdf
http://news.aaa-calif.com/internal_r...ORT-FINAL2.pdf

Ford F-150: 5%, Cadillac Escalade 7.1%, Mazda Miata 0.7%, Audi A3 -1.0%, Ford Mustang 2.3%, Jeep Renegade 1.9%

I remember one Consumer Reports (?) study on the ACTUAL difference in MPG between premium and regular for both cars that did not recommend, and cars that also recommended premium. I may be mis-remembering, but the articles I could find are (1) for the Acura TLX
https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...d-premium-gas/
(2)
https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...g-premium.html

In CA, the regular/premium delta is very small, usually 20-40 cents and $4 vs. $4.20 making it 5-10%, but in other states, percentage wise it is huge because you're going from about $2 to $2.70 or something (30-35%).
Thanks for the link to the AAA report.

I had a Chevy pick-up truck that supposedly ran on 87 AKI. I lived and worked on opposite sides of a big bridge. Going up that bridge, the truck would ping and be sluggish on 87 AKI. I gradually dialed up my AKI to 90 and everything was fine. The AAA report mentioned problems with going up hills with low AKI gas. It's cool when what happens in the lab agrees with what happens outside the lab.

I made a gas stop in Daphne, Alabama once, coming home from Bitchslap, Arkansas back in 2015. Premium was only $.24/gallon more than regular. There was a gas war or sorts going on at that interstate exit. I suspect the $0.24/gallon was the wholesale cost difference between the two grades. I tanked up with full premium, and then topped off with 87 AKI when I got home.

Bitchslap's real name is Smackover, Arkansas. It's famous for having the oldest traffic light in the South. It's mounted on a pole in the middle of the intersection, not hanging down from above. WTF?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150206 gas prices daphne alabama.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	849527   Click image for larger version

Name:	smackover historic traffic light.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	849529  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
It's mounted on a pole in the middle of the intersection, not hanging down from above. WTF?
Now, if they just expand the base of that pole to a 7 ft sided square, then make it a 7 ft diameter circle, they could turn the electricity off. It would then probably be called something like going-around something or other

It is just unbelievable to me how hard it is to US populace to give up those lights, even when it is the most obvious and logical solution - like when you have a pole in the middle of the intersection already.

Sorry for OT, back to the gasoline and 89 vs 91 vs 93 octane

Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Now, if they just expand the base of that pole to a 7 ft sided square, then make it a 7 ft diameter circle, they could turn the electricity off. It would then probably be called something like going-around something or other

It is just unbelievable to me how hard it is to US populace to give up those lights, even when it is the most obvious and logical solution - like when you have a pole in the middle of the intersection already.

Sorry for OT, back to the gasoline and 89 vs 91 vs 93 octane
Roundabouts have their limits, and traffic engineers are quietly replacing roundabouts with traffic lights all over, e.g. many London roundabouts have traffic lights.

On the other hand, some in US push the opposite and believe roundabouts are magic.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
Round a bouts suck. I just hate it when I sloum thru them and the soup sloshes out of my bowl while eating lunch.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, some in US push the opposite and believe roundabouts are magic.
Where, please? I need to move there. Where I live, they think that going through 3 traffic lights to go straight is perfectly acceptable solution instead of a roundabout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our BMW View Post
Round a bouts suck. I just hate it when I sloum thru them and the soup sloshes out of my bowl while eating lunch.

Thank you for that. Made my day. Frankly, I deeply believe that people here are hanging onto traffic lights only because they allow them to do everything but driving while behind the wheel of the moving vehicle. If for no other reason, THAT would be enough reason to start removing traffic lights, IMO.

There is no evidence to suggest that octanes in gasoline effect traffic flow through roundabouts. There. We are back on topic now

Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Where, please? I need to move there. Where I live, they think that going through 3 traffic lights to go straight is perfectly acceptable solution instead of a roundabout.
Many locales around here put in small 1-lane roundabouts in non-busy intersections, those work ok since traffic is light, 4-way stop signs can work just as well too, or even better for less space.

Some local cities look into roundabouts at busy 3 to 4-lane major 4-way intersections and those plans were abandoned due to space, plus still needing lights to avoid gridlocks.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto:
I tried Autoputzer's mixing method this weekend. Since I only needed about 7 gallons, I pumped 2 at 87 (I realized later I could have done more), then the rest at 93. Saved a whole buck. However, the Exxon station/card would not allow me to hang up the nozzle, select a new grade, then continue pumping. Oh, no. I had to agree that I wanted a receipt, walk into the store, request said receipt, then walk back outside and repeat.

Maybe the technique you described will work with a Visa card at Costco, but not here. I'll try it again soon -- but I'm not sure that it's a good use of my time.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
gas, octane

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search