F30 tire advice please! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 316d
F30 tire advice please!

Hi lads!

I'm a complete and utter helpless man when it comes to tire knowledge. First off I want to share my current tire set: In the front I've got 2 winter tires (Firestone) that are 16 inch and at the back I've got 2 all season tires (Uniroyal all season experts) also 16 inch

My first question: My ride has never been very smooth. Could this be because of a bad tire set up?

2nd question: I would like to upgrade my tire set up and I like the idea of all season tires but what should I do? Should I get the same Uniroyal tires for the front and would that improve my overall drive quality?

3rd question: If you guys think I would be better off getting other tires what would you recommend? What are the best all season tires to get and what are the cheaper alternatives?

4th question: Should I stick to 16 inch tires or should I go for bigger wheels? What will be the difference in drive quality?

General question: What is the difference between a very cheap tire and an elite tire? Is the difference significant? Will it almost feel like a new car if I switch those Uniroyals and get the best all seasons Michelins for example?

Thank you very much for the replies guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Your current set-up is something that should be avoided - mixing tire types. As you're in Europe, your tire choices will no doubt differ from those here in the USA. Do you need winter tires all year, or would all-seasons suit your needs? More expensive tires can have better quality control, roll better & balance more easily. Larger wheels are typically heavier, as are the tires for them. Are your current wheels true/round? Bent rims can result in poor ride quality, as well as worn suspension parts. Then there's the whole run-flat vs. non-run flat decision - many here will say the best thing they ever did was get rid of the original run-flats.

Look in the research & advice section of Tire Rack for info. You can see the tire ratings in the different categories. Find a tire that performs like you desire in your price range. Then see if it's available to you. Good luck!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/revie...surveyComments

Lots of info here, too: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=423
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport
Old 07-02-2019, 11:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328xi
I have been very happy with Continental Pure Contact. Better in dry wet and snow than the Pirrelli's. Did not cost very much compared to other tires that fit, highly rated in all reviews I read. Better turn in response and softer ride. The only downside is they are not runflats so I just ride without a spare, or you could by a temporary spare from bmw and a jack and put them in the trunk. I also live in Minnesota and we got about 100 inches of snow last year, tires performed wonderfully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
There are pros and cons to going with bigger wheels.

- They have more rotational mass. Rubber is lighter.
- The lower profile tires will corner better.
- They are more prone to pothole damage.
- They are typically more expensive.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
Don't know much about tires? Know that tire pressure is important. Make sure there is enough air in the tires. Consult the owner's manual or label in the car.

16 and 17 inch tires have the best ride. 17 and 18 inch tires (for a F30) have good handling. Too big wheels are fashionable but not really better.

In Belgium, you could probably get by with all season tires. However, if you live near Bastogne in the southeast, there is more snow and winter tires are smart. If you don't drive on the motorway much, then winter tires are useful in all of Belgium. Winter tires are a little less fun to drive fast.

BMW recommends, and I agree, that 4 of the same tire brand/model should be used.

Most brands make some good tires and some barely passable tires. The brands with the strongest reputation, like Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, etc., tend to make more good tires than not so good tires. By good, I mean better traction and road handling. Some brand's all season touring tires are so great as far as driving pleasure.

New tires tend to be quiet riding. In Germany, they publish tire noise information.
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search