Returning to the world of BMW ownership - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 PM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
Returning to the world of BMW ownership

Hello everyone.

I was active on these forums for several years right after Jon created Bimmerfest and was part of the second "wave" of members who migrated from another competing forum. I moved on from the BMW community around the 2006 time frame after I had to sell my E46 due to an overseas move.

Saturday afternoon, my long break from BMW ownership ended when traded in my MK6 GTI and drove home a beautiful CPO '16 435i. I'm really exited to be returning to the fold and once again be behind the wheel of a German, RWD car.

Here are a important options on the car: 6MT, Sapphire Black, M Sport, Track Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, MPPK.

Sorry for the bad picture, but it's too hot right now for a good outdoor photo shoot. Besides, I have to give her a good detailing before she'll be at her best.

A lot has changed since I was last active here and I look forward to contributing where I can.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by Desertnate; 06-30-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 05:30 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Welcome home! She looks great, and the paint looks flawless. Any though to adding the MPPK? We have it on our 340 6MT and it gives the car a real Jekyll and Hyde personality.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 06-30-2019, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Beautiful! I love the choice of options, about as sporty as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 06:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Any though to adding the MPPK? We have it on our 340 6MT and it gives the car a real Jekyll and Hyde personality.
He stated that the car has it.
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport
Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Welcome home! She looks great, and the paint looks flawless. Any though to adding the MPPK? We have it on our 340 6MT and it gives the car a real Jekyll and Hyde personality.
Thanks!

While the paint looks good in the LED lights of my garage, when you get it out in the sun it has swirls everywhere and some pretty good ones all along the passenger side. Someone used something pretty abrasive or dirty to wash/dry it previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Beautiful! I love the choice of options, about as sporty as possible.
Thank you. That was what led me to look into it. This is exactly how I would have built the car except for color. While I love black, my first choice was Estoril Blue. I have been looking for years for a car with this configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
He stated that the car has it.
Yep. According to the documentation the dealer gave me it was port installed, so the previous owner knew he wanted it at the time the car was ordered.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-01-2019, 06:48 AM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Hello everyone.

I was active on these forums for several years right after Jon created Bimmerfest and was part of the second "wave" of members who migrated from another competing forum. I moved on from the BMW community around the 2006 time frame after I had to sell my E46 due to an overseas move.
Ah... Jon Shafer, really miss him as my Customer Advisor. I donít see him posting on this board anymore, hopefully heís doing well.

Welcome back, OP! I recently sold my E46 to my bro-in-law and got a F22, love driving that car as it brings back memories of the E46.
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 07-01-2019, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 435i RWD Convertible
Quote:
While the paint looks good in the LED lights of my garage, when you get it out in the sun it has swirls everywhere and some pretty good ones all along the passenger side. Someone used something pretty abrasive or dirty to wash/dry it previously.
A friend of mine didn't realize the importance of hosing off surface dirt prior to washing his car with sponge and soap. Ended up putting swirls on his new Jaguar. What a pity.
Do you think you'll be able to get them out?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

2016 435i Individual - Citrin Black / Nutmeg Extended Merino Leather
Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 635CSI
Welcome back to the fold. Came back a year ago myself after a 15+ year hiatus. A lot has changed since then in the world of bimmers. I'm still getting caught up lol.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
A friend of mine didn't realize the importance of hosing off surface dirt prior to washing his car with sponge and soap. Ended up putting swirls on his new Jaguar. What a pity.
Do you think you'll be able to get them out?
There are so many ways you can ruin a good paint job in short order. Many times people don't realize a course wash medium (mit, sponge, rag, etc) or even their drying towel can do all sorts of damange.

I have a polisher and a good arsenal of pads and products on hand. I've been doing all my own detailing work for years now, so I'm confident I can get it looking pretty good. Depending on the depth of some of the marks I may not try for 100% perfection in order to save my clear coat, but if anything remains it will be really hard to spot.

I'll do a full write up with pictures. The plan is to knock it out over over the last half of this week.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto:
Desertnate, I have a question then on preserving the finish - I backed my e70 out of my driveway even more carelessly than normal and the corner of the yard-debris bin was in contact w/the side of the car for about 6 feet. Bin is green (plastic) and X5 is Space Grey so surprising that there is no visible mark. But, when I wash the car, the water reveals the incident. Don't have a picture but could get one if that helps but basically the rinse water stops at that line on the way down (and then makes it's way). I was expecting that there was either a deposit of plastic or a removal of clear coat (that's what it looks like) but I can't feel anything like that with fingers.

A body shop said they would take compound (aka rubbing compound?) to it as a first attempt. I could do the same - but am afraid I'd be removing more of the clear coat.

As I type this I realize it might just be wax that was removed. Not sure how to prove that.

Any ideas?

( for the record - I wasn't so careless! Most helpful neighbor had brought the bin back from the curb and left it in a bad spot and mirror was off for some reason )
Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xras View Post
Don't have a picture but could get one if that helps but basically the rinse water stops at that line on the way down (and then makes it's way). I was expecting that there was either a deposit of plastic or a removal of clear coat (that's what it looks like) but I can't feel anything like that with fingers.
Start with the least abrasive polish/glaze, e.g. 3M hand glaze, and try to remove the deposit by hand first. This can be slow but if it does strip off the deposit(even very slight) this will be the preferred route with multiple applications.

Removing clear coat from rubbing against a plastic trash bin is possible but not unlikely.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Welcome! Were u a roadfly veteran? This forum is very different from roadfly days.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by xras View Post
Desertnate, I have a question then on preserving the finish - I backed my e70 out of my driveway even more carelessly than normal and the corner of the yard-debris bin was in contact w/the side of the car for about 6 feet. Bin is green (plastic) and X5 is Space Grey so surprising that there is no visible mark. But, when I wash the car, the water reveals the incident. Don't have a picture but could get one if that helps but basically the rinse water stops at that line on the way down (and then makes it's way). I was expecting that there was either a deposit of plastic or a removal of clear coat (that's what it looks like) but I can't feel anything like that with fingers.

A body shop said they would take compound (aka rubbing compound?) to it as a first attempt. I could do the same - but am afraid I'd be removing more of the clear coat.

As I type this I realize it might just be wax that was removed. Not sure how to prove that.

Any ideas?
Pictures are helpful, but even then diagnosing over the internet is a challenge if the pictures aren't really obvious to extent of the damage.

Since the color is really light, it might be hiding a scuff in the clear coat which would be really obvious on a black car like mine. This doesn't mean you completly sanded it off when you hit the bin, you simply lightly scoured the surface just enough to change the water behavior. It should be easily fixable.

The "compound" described by the body shop is simply a really agressive polish. Detailing polishes range from compounds to what is called a jewling or finishing polish. Each level is designed to remove marks of a certain level and/or improve the shine.

Even if the area is small, to do the job right requires a dual action polisher, a few pads, and maybe a couple different polishes. If you don't want to dive into the pool of detailing and invest in equipment and products, I'd recommend you find a good, reputable, professional detailer in your area. They are much better equipped to work a minor corrective problem like yours than a full on body shop and will probably be cheaper too.

A good detailer, who knows what he's doing, will work like namelessman mentioned. They will start with a polisher and a fine grade polish and will only step up to more agressive pads and polishes if they are not getting results. You would be amazed at what can be done without having to work too hard. I was able to nearly fully restore my father-in-laws tailgate on his Toyota truck after a run in with the garage door using nothing but my polisher, a medium pad, and a finishing polish. Some of the heavier marks did take a compound, but only a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Start with the least abrasive polish/glaze, e.g. 3M hand glaze, and try to remove the deposit by hand first. This can be slow but if it does strip off the deposit(even very slight) this will be the preferred route with multiple applications.
I don't think 3M Imperial Hand Glaze has any abrasives in it and the fillers (hense the "glaze" name) will make judging progress difficult. I would be a temporary solution at best untill the fillers wore away. A reputable polish from Meguiars, Griots, Sonax, Menzerna, etc will fix things permanently and provide a good result.

You can try going at it with some polishes by hand, but I've never been able to get the same quality of results compared to a polisher. Not to mention it taking much longer.

Quote:
Removing clear coat from rubbing against a plastic trash bin is possible but not unlikely.
Agree. He probably just scuffed things up a bit and it will polish right out while still leaving plenty of clear coat behind...if handled correctly.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Welcome! Were u a roadfly veteran? This forum is very different from roadfly days.
Yes, I am. I came to Bimmerfest back in 2002 when things at Roadfly started turning ugly and suddenly realized most of the people I interacted with there had already made the move. I was a bit slower than the original "founders".

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search