Run Flats to Regular Tires - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I replaced my runflats - much better

My 2012 335i came with Sportline trim and these 20" black w/red lip wheels, and staggered tires - Pirelli P Zeros. Summary - they were horrible, wore out very fast, and felt like car had roller-skate wheels !

I now use Sumitomo HRZ III non-RFTs...set of 4 drop shipped by TireRack was $567.00! Car rides much better.

I have one of those spacesaver tire/jack kits in the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyM View Post
Good information here. I have both the slime kit and tire plug kit in the trunk. Thought of getting the spare but the prices are ludicrous. We don't venture off the beaten path much so it is worth that risk.
The tire plug kit alone is not enough. If you have all the items I listed, you'll be prepared. You will not need the tire slime, as there is nothing it can repair that the plug won't repair better.

I've used plugs as permanent repairs three times. Never had a problem. Ideally, you should have the tire dismounted and a vulcanized patch applied from the inside of the tire, so that pressure cannot possibly blow it out. But I've never done that.

Last edited by Rebound; 05-14-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
I just replaced my run flats on my 2012 328i with a set of Continental DWS06 what a difference, it rides smooth and quiet, I got a couple of cans of fix a flat just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 440I X-DRIVE
hey fellow enthusiasts

New member on BMW #7
Old 05-13-2017, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 440I X-DRIVE
flat tires

I always replace my run flats. I carry a small jack ;compressor and professional plug kit and most important a cell phone
Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
Michelin PS4 vs. stock Bridgestone RFT

I am about to go for the Michelins PS4s for my 2017 340i. What life expectancy (total mileage) should I expect for the Michelins?

I was never satisfied with the way the RFTs handled bumps, although on smooth roads they are quite good......then I guess any tires are good on smooth roads!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 650xi, 2011 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaZ View Post
I am about to go for the Michelins PS4s for my 2017 340i. What life expectancy (total mileage) should I expect for the Michelins?

I was never satisfied with the way the RFTs handled bumps, although on smooth roads they are quite good......then I guess any tires are good on smooth roads!

I really wouldn’t expect more than 20k miles out of the Michelins. In reality, probably even less.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

2011 Z4 sDrive35is Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Ivory White Nappa (Sold)
2014 X5 xDrive50i Mineral White/Back Dakota (retired)
2015 650xi Gran Coupe Space Grey/Black Nappa (Sold)
2015 M4 Austin Yellow Metallic - Daughter's Car
2015 328i Mineral Grey Metallic - Daughter's Daily Driver
2016 X6 xDrive35i Black Sapphire/ Cognac/Black Bi-Color Nappa
2016 435xi Convertible Black Sapphire/Black Dekota (Sold)
2014 640xi Gran Coupe Alpine White/Black Dakota
Old 07-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaZ View Post

Your mileage may vary...

I currently have PSS's on my 535i, with a square set-up. I rotate them and I manage the pressures to get even tire wear. After 26k miles, I have an average of 4.8/32nds inch of tread left. I'll get them to 37k miles and be down to 3/32nds inch.

The back tires wear twice as fast as the front. So, if you have a staggered set-up, expect maybe 25k miles out of the rear tires and 50k out of the front ones.

The roads are flat and straight where I live, and I'm easy on the gas and brakes. I do flick the car around in turns every chance I get, usually hustling to make a left turn before the light turns red.

The PSS's came "round shouldered," with 8.5/32nds inch of tread in the inner and outer circumferential channels, and 9.5/32nds inch depth in the two middle circumferential channels. A trick to extend the life is to slightly over-pressurize them so that the wear in the two middle channels' "catches up" with the inner and outer ones.

High performance tires wear really fast when new. If you rotate them, make the first rotation stint about half that of the other ones. Ideally you want eight rotation stints over the life of the tires. So, with high performance tires make the 2nd and subsequent rotation stints the tire life divided by 7.5, and the first one half that. So, a 35k mile set of high performance tires would get rotated first at ~2.3k miles and then every ~4.7k miles after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	michelin pss tread depths at 26k miles bmw 535i.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	857891  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 07-12-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Wow! Thanks for all of the technical stuff!

I don't know if I'll have the ability to rotate the tires so often, though. Are there alternate tires that would provide comparable performance that would wear a bit better? I don't put a lot of mileage on my cars and typically sell them at 50k miles, so it may be a moot point.

I also don't drive too hard, but I do like cornering quickly into turns.....otherwise, what would be the point of having a 340i?
Old 07-14-2019, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Michelin makes a "high-performance, all-season" tire, the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. It has a higher US DOT treadwear rating than the PS 4S, 500 vs. 300. The PS A/S 3+ is also a little cheaper. With A.I.R. (alignment, inflation, rotation), you should get 50k miles out of PS A/S 3+'s.

Michelin also makes "Primacy" all-season tires. However, they're not high-performance. A certain individual shredded a set of Primacy's with abusive driving habits. Decorum prevents me from naming any names, but her initals are "Frau Putzer."

Since you're in the Great White North, all-season tires are a compromise, not great in the summer and not great in the winter. All-season tire are even less great in snow when the tread depth is less than 5/32nds inch.

BMW sells reasonably priced winter tire and wheel packages, probably less than $2k. We're moving to the foothills of the mountains in 2021. Because of the hills and occasional snow there, we ordered our X3 with xDrive. Most BMW SUV's in Floriduh are 2WD sDrive's. xDrive cost us about $2k, but it will make our X3 "go" in the snow. I'm going to pay another $2k to get a winter tire and wheel package to make our X3 stop and turn in the snow. Winter tires are cheaper than body shop bills, and stopping and turning are how you avoid trips to the body shop. I figure I'll get a good portion of that cost back when I include the tires and wheels with the car when I sell it.

Rotating is easy. A shop, even a BMW dealership, shouldn't charge you more than $25 (US). The BMW dealership should also know to use a torque wrench, use the proper lift points under the car, and not to whack you front bumper on a curb when parking your car. Walmart's auto shop... maybe not. Seven rotations would be $175, less than the cost of one tire. Without rotation, you'd likely be doomed to have to buy two rear tires before 50k miles. Eight rotation stints would be optimal, but four would suffice. Four stints would take three rotations, $75.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 07-14-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
I have been considering these. They look mucho macho. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosmo-MM-...SABEgLHevD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-14-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Michelin makes a "high-performance, all-season" tire, the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. It has a higher US DOT treadwear rating than the PS 4S, 500 vs. 300. The PS A/S 3+ is also a little cheaper. With A.I.R. (alignment, inflation, rotation), you should get 50k miles out of PS A/S 3+'s.

Since you're in the Great White North, all-season tires are a compromise, not great in the summer and not great in the winter. All-season tire are even less great in snow when the tread depth is less than 5/32nds inch.

I guess I could bring the car to my dealership and have them rotate the tires every few months. Should the front ones be rotated too?

I assume that PS4S tires are summer tires..... I don't trust so-called all-season tires in the winter. New all-seasons are okay for their first winter up here, depending on the amount of snowfall we get, but winter tires are a necessity on 3-Series if one wants to spend less time spinning wheels and more time in control of your car..

Last edited by RobertaZ; 07-14-2019 at 03:02 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bubble, good year, run flats, tire

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search