BMW News: Dyno Test Finds M5 Makes Even More Power than Advertised - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW News

BMW News
Get the latest BMW headlines, news, and rumors and discuss the future of BMW with other BMW enthusiasts!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
Dyno Test Finds M5 Makes Even More Power than Advertised
BimmerFest Staff
AutoGuide Editorial

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by BimmerFest Staff

by Sam McEachern

It's easy to complain about the cars of today. Many are too big, too heavy, too expensive and too complicated - but you absolutely cannot say that they aren't fast. What was once considered quick is now achievable for you average Hyundai sedan and performance cars are beginning to enter a territory that may even justify some sort of special performance driver's license.

The 2019 BMW M5 Competition serves as a good example of just how fast cars have gotten. Car and Driver recently clocked the 4,400 luxury sedan in at under 11 seconds int he quarter-mile and says it achieved sub-three second 0-60 mph runs multiple times. This is roughly on par with the speed and acceleration of the Ford GT, as per Car and Driver testing, despite the M5 Competition making less power than the Ford and weighing over 1,000 lbs more.

You're probably wondering how this is possible. Car and Driver was too, so they stuck their M5 Competition on an all-wheel-drive dyno to see just how much power its 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V8 was making. The results were surprising - the sedan was making 617 hp and 606 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. This is significantly more than the 617 hp and 600 crankshaft horsepower that BMW claims - likely placing the V8's output at over 650 hp.

BMW is known to lowball its engine output figures but we're still surprised at just how fast the new M5 and M5 Competition are. What's your secret, BMW?

[Source: Car and Driver]
This article has been viewed 924 times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 05:26 PM
4th BMW

Mein Auto: 2002 540iT Sportwagon
Dyno's are subjective and one must compare apples to apples (dyno and software, etc). That said, I drove a 2014 M5 w/ Dealer installed total Dinan upgrades...only the owner didn't tell me about the ? 693 HP ?. I was in disbelief on the open road chirping tires in all gears before the heads up display said 178mph and the system yelled radar alert (HWP over the hill)! The brakes work too. Lol. Truly a remarkable package of technology...car rode on rails...braking that beyond my sane limits (on the street). My 2002 4.4 M62 TU (E39) feels like if cranks out more than 292 HP. Rumors has it as it does.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw, bmw m5, m5

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW News
Today's Posts Search