Model 3 starts delivery, is that really the 3-series killer? - Page 125 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
BMW disagrees with you, at least on the 5 series where the specs are available today. According to BMW, a 530i xDrive weighs 3,926 pounds while a 530e xDrive weighs 4,407 pounds. Also, while BMW claims an electric only range of 28.5 miles, the EPA says it's actually 15 miles. To get a real 50 miles of electric only range out of it would involve a lot more batteries increasing the weight even more.
I thought you are talking about competition to BEVs. So I compared a BEV to a PHEV and I said it explicitly.

Quote:
It isn't the basic engine itself wearing out that I'm concerned about; it's all the various bits and pieces breaking after a while. Things like having to replace the entire cooling system every 100,000 miles, or less or having virtually everything plastic or rubber under the hood dying after 100,000 miles, or automatic transmissions that die after 100 to 150 thousand miles. Carbon build up in intake manifolds, leaky valve cover gaskets, rebuilding VANOS systems, and on and on and on. Yeah, the basic engine block may be good for 500k, but plenty of other parts are not.

Also, in real life, it is an infinitesimally small number of people who drive their cars like taxis. Cooling down and heating up the engine is an everyday occurrence, if not multiple times per day.
Cooling system gets stressed by the frequent heating cycle. If one uses the ICE only on the weekend long trips the number of cycles reduces by 70%. So the 100k miles becomes 350k miles. Also the cooling system gets stressed in the city driving. But it is relatively cool on the highway. Every plastic ages with the number of heating cycles.
Similarly with the lubricated parts. Most deposit happens with a cold engine. Long highway runs clean the engine and removes moisture and gasoline from the engine oil. Many things that are issue on a city driven ICE are non existent on a highway queen.

Quote:
As for the engine on a PHEV only being used on long range trips, that's nonsense unless you consider anything more than 15 miles long range in the case of the 530e. It's also nonsense because almost all of them use the gas engine whenever the car is driven in an even mildly aggressive manner, like accelerating on to the freeway for instance. In fact, the gas engine in most PHEVs frequently cycles on and off.

Not nonsense at all. I'm thinking of buying the Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid. Owners report 30 miles real world range. That is enough for my commute with 50% margin.
Porsche has several driving modes. There is an option not to use the ICE engine until the battery reaches 5% state of charge.

Future PHEVs will have more range.
1998 BMW 528i MT @ 231k //sold
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

Last edited by acoste; Yesterday at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
Driver

Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
I thought you are talking about competition to BEVs. So I compared a BEV to a PHEV and I said it explicitly.

Cooling system gets stressed by the frequent heating cycle. If one uses the ICE only on the weekend long trips the number of cycles reduces by 70%. So the 100k miles becomes 350k miles. Also the cooling system gets stressed in the city driving. But it is relatively cool on the highway. Every plastic ages with the number of heating cycles.
Similarly with the lubricated parts. Most deposit happens with a cold engine. Long highway runs clean the engine and removes moisture and gasoline from the engine oil. Many things that are issue on a city driven ICE are non existent on a highway queen.

Not nonsense at all. I'm thinking of buying the Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid. Owners report 30 miles real world range. That is enough for my commute with 50% margin.

Future PHEVs will have more range.
Not too many people only drive their cars on longer trips on the highway. Your scenario isn't realistic for the vast proportion of drivers.

As for the Panamera Hybrid, either sell it before the warranty runs out or plan on some very expensive repair bills.

Also, again looking at weight, the Panamera Hybrid at 4,784 pounds, weighs over 600 pounds more than the Panamera 4S. If you want to compare the Panamera Hybrid to an electric vehicle, the Tesla Model S is the obvious choice and it weighs 4,883 pounds in the long range version. So, yes, the Tesla weighs 100 pounds more, a pretty insignificant amount more at that weight, but it has 20% faster acceleration and uses half as much electricity in the process even if you could only run on the batteries in the Panamera hybrid. It also has a lower center of gravity and doesn't need to turn on an extra engine every time you want to accelerate quickly.

A hybrid has all the complexity of an ICE car and an electric car combined. Long term, this does not bode well for the vehicle's reliability.

Last edited by GregD; Yesterday at 03:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM
Driver

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want a Panamera Hybrid. To me, the main reason to buy a Panamera versus all the other high end sedans out there, is because you want the sporty Porsche driving experience. If you just want luxury, you're better off with a 7 series, S class, or Model S. Having driven them both, I do think that a regular Panamera 4S is a bit more fun to drive in a sporty fashion than a Tesla Model S, but I think most of that is because of the lighter weight of the Panamera. With the hybrid, it ends up being a similar weight to the Tesla, and I think the Tesla would actually be more fun to drive, due to the instant response of the more powerful drivetrain and its lower center of gravity. It also helps the Tesla that a similar performing model is quite a bit less expensive than the Panamera, and the fastest Model S is quite a bit faster than the fastest Panamera.

Last edited by GregD; Yesterday at 02:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want a Panamera Hybrid. To me, the main reason to buy a Panamera versus all the other high end sedans out there, is because you want the sporty Porsche driving experience. If you just want luxury, you're better off with a 7 series, S class, or Model S. Having driven them both, I do think that a regular Panamera 4S is a bit more fun to drive in a sporty fashion than a Tesla Model S, but I think most of that is because of the lighter weight of the Panamera. With the hybrid, it ends up being a similar weight to the Tesla, and I think the Tesla would actually be more fun to drive, due to the instant response of the more powerful drivetrain and its lower center of gravity. It also helps the Tesla that a similar performing model is quite a bit less expensive than the Panamera, and the fastest Model S is quite a bit faster than the fastest Panamera.
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want a Tesla as it has the worst reliability, worst service department and the company uses the owners as guinea pigs and a checking account in the self driving system development.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

Last edited by acoste; Yesterday at 03:38 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
Driver

Quote:
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want a Tesla as it has the worst reliability, worst service department and the company uses the owners as guinea pigs and a checking account in the self driving system development.
Well, your above comments about Tesla are a matter of opinion which many of us don't agree with. Leaving the Tesla argument alone, I still don't get why anyone would want a Panamera Hybrid versus a regular Panamera or some other luxury car. Can you explain why?
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
For someone (e.g. myself) who is impartial to AP/FSD, and wants a bit more engaging experience than typical Tesla A to B(as suggested by the reviewers), the BMW EV can be a good option.
If 19 buttons to mess with on the steering wheel (as was mentioned in the G20 3 Series video) is considered 'engaging' to you then a car from a traditional maker is probably best - it will be unlikely they'll transition to the clean cockpit of the Tesla anytime soon.

Myself, engagement means handling and throttle response. And the Model 3 is just heaps better here. So I wasn't too certain what that one guy meant by A to B driving as I'd pick my Model 3 for engagement too.

My BMWs are really only better for me as track day cars right now. Because of that one of them is slowly becoming a track car with track focused alignment, brake pads and tires. I'm taking it to Laguna Seca next week.
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Well, your above comments about Tesla are a matter of opinion which many of us don't agree with. Leaving the Tesla argument alone, I still don't get why anyone would want a Panamera Hybrid versus a regular Panamera or some other luxury car. Can you explain why?
Responding to the Tesla first it is not just an opinion and you quickly wanted to skip the subject. Basically Tesla makes good cars, but it's just a small percentage of the total cars they sell. One has to be lucky to get those.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2018-wh...-survey/n17824
(reliability score 50.9%)
"41% of the Tesla Model S cars owned by those who responded to the survey had faults."
"Just over half of the cars were out of action for at least a week and some fixes cost more than £1500,"

https://insideevs.com/news/351171/te...rway-problems/
"Tesla's complaints per unit in 2018 were more than three times higher than the average both for electric cars and cars in total."

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...-tesla.153633/
How honest are you about Tesla issues when speaking to friends/family that want to buy a Tesla?

"First, I told him that there are software glitches. Then I told him OTA updates come out often. etc..

Phone key sometimes not working, back up cam not coming on occasionally, and having to mess with windshield wiper controller on the screen while driving are some of the things I wouldn't want my father to deal with.
I would not recommend the car to anyone.
If someone who has watched dozens of Youtube videos and who is aware of all the little problems ask me about the car, then I would be talking about other things like efficiency and driving feel.
Also, I would not recommend AP unless they are aware of phantom braking and ambivalence when the lanes merge.
"

"It can do a lot of things but not reliably."

"It is a nice car, don't look too close to it like a QA guy, don't mind about being misinform from the salesman, don't mind about all those price changes daily that you will miss out, and best of all don't crash it or else kiss your car goodbye for a long time"

Survey on the Porsche from the first link (reliability score 94.5%)
"Some 20% of Porsche 911s had a problem, but most (13%) were non-engine electrical issues that were rectified in a day. The 911's overall score is dragged down by 7% of cars, which had engine problems that took more than a week to resolve. All cars were fixed for free, though."

You made me laugh hard that the PHEV Panamera in my use case would need more repair than a Tesla. I have already explained it to you why the PHEVs in this operating mode will last a lot longer than a short range PHEV or an ICE. Not gonna repeat it.

As for autopilot. If you are ok to be the test dummy that's fine. Just don't use autopilot around me. If you are ok to work for free for Tesla and monitor the system constantly + report bugs, that's ok. And if you are ok to pay for the damages that were caused by a bug in the software that's fine as well.

Now the Panamera. Tesla's luxury content is far from any of the Germans so those are not comparable.I want a quiet car. I also don't want rattles. And I don't want a BEV as I prefer PHEVs.
Mercedes/Audi/BMW/Porsche are targeting different groups of people. There are Mercedes guys, Audi fans and so on. The Porsche and the BMW groups are the closest to each with some overlap.
I'm a BMW 5 series guy, that's the perfect size and feels like home. Panamera is the only similar car from Porsche. 911 is too small, not my style, however I love driving them and the sound with the top down. I'm bored in an Audi/Mercedes even if it's AMG. The only exception is the G Mercedes.
As for which car is faster, I don't mind if the Panamera is not the fastest. I just need a fast car.

I don't expect high maintenance costs due to their good reliability. But even if it happens, not going to make me broke.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

Last edited by acoste; Yesterday at 04:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidroid View Post
If 19 buttons to mess with on the steering wheel (as was mentioned in the G20 3 Series video) is considered 'engaging' to you then a car from a traditional maker is probably best - it will be unlikely they'll transition to the clean cockpit of the Tesla anytime soon.

Myself, engagement means handling and throttle response. And the Model 3 is just heaps better here. So I wasn't too certain what that one guy meant by A to B driving as I'd pick my Model 3 for engagement too.
Your post#3097 says this:

"given the question of what they'd pick if BMW made an all electric 3 series that drove as well as the Tesla ...."

To be fair, this all electric 3 series is not yet in sight yet, so it is unclear if it has 19 buttons, but as far as your proposition in post#3097 goes, this future 3 series EV has to have handling and throttle response at par(or better than?) Tesla, right?
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
The comment in post#3089 says "starting 2020", given 200-mile range offerings from Mini, Nissan, VW, and others will start to roll out.
You said “a sizeable volume”. That to me is in numbers of vehicles sold not numbers of models. By the way VW is not going to sell the ID.3 in the US. The only info I found on a Mini EV shows it using the i3 power train which does not have 200 mile electric range.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

Quote:
As for autopilot. If you are ok to be the test dummy that's fine. Just don't use autopilot around me. If you are ok to work for free for Tesla and monitor the system constantly + report bugs, that's ok. And if you are ok to pay for the damages that were caused by a bug in the software that's fine as well.
CR is not happy withTesla Autopilot Navigate mode, although it appears not to be default mode. One guy at lunch today said the driver should see all those polygons and lines and 0's and 1's that the computer sees, just like Tank in the Matrix!

https://www.consumerreports.org/auto...-intervention/

It does feel like the current Tesla owners are like unpaid test pilots for Tesla, a few paying with their lives.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You said "a sizeable volume". That to me is in numbers of vehicles sold not numbers of models. By the way VW is not going to sell the ID.3 in the US. The only info I found on a Mini EV shows it using the i3 power train which does not have 200 mile electric range.
To be fair, post#3086 says this ".... a sizable shift to EVs of all makes".

"Sizeable" means "big".

"Shift" means, well, "shift", it can be applied to a number of things, e.g. volume, mindset.

Starting 2020 the EV landscape will see a pipeline of offerings, which may or may not ramp up EV volume quickly(TBD). What may also shift is the mindset of general public as far as EV is concerned, and that will help Tesla.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Driver

Quote:
Rag on Tesla

Mercedes/Audi/BMW/Porsche are targeting different groups of people. There are Mercedes guys, Audi fans and so on. The Porsche and the BMW groups are the closest to each with some overlap.
I'm a BMW 5 series guy, that's the perfect size and feels like home. Panamera is the only similar car from Porsche. 911 is too small, not my style, however I love driving them and the sound with the top down. I'm bored in an Audi/Mercedes even if it's AMG. The only exception is the G Mercedes.
As for which car is faster, I don't mind if the Panamera is not the fastest. I just need a fast car.

I don't expect high maintenance costs due to their good reliability. But even if it happens, not going to make me broke.
Well you went on and on and on bashing Tesla and never did answer the question presented in the post you were supposedly responding to. Are you just here to troll? Can you actually answer the question I asked? Also, if you're "a BMW 5 series guy", why not buy another 5 series?

Quote:
I still don't get why anyone would want a Panamera Hybrid versus a regular Panamera or some other luxury car. Can you explain why?
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Well you went on and on and on bashing Tesla and never did answer the question presented in the post you were supposedly responding to. Are you just here to troll? Can you actually answer the question I asked? Also, if you're "a BMW 5 series guy", why not buy another 5 series?
I don't like the rear end of the G30. Too girlish. Plus 530e is a 4cyl. If they came up with 540e, inline 6 & 50 miles range, I would give it a thought specially that it's half the price of the Pana.

Why PHEV? I don't want to pollute in the city. And I feel sorry for the ICE which hates short trips. EV is perfect for those. And I can drive silently or I can drive in spirited ICE mode, enjoying the engine sound.
Yes, the weight is a minus for sure. But the active sway bars help a lot. I have zero body roll on my 550i in the curves.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Have fun with your 4800lb PHEV . Just sounds like the worst of both worlds to me, I agree with GregD. Don't want the complexity of both in one car and carry the weight and complexity of two complete drive and power trains.

I'll take an all electric spaceship torque and speed monster like the Model 3 along with a lightweight ICE dedicated track monster. Two cars but best of both worlds.

Last edited by paranoidroid; Yesterday at 11:41 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum
Today's Posts Search