Really incredible wheel/tire questions, I mean the greatest ever - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 AM
samadkins29's Avatar
samadkins29 samadkins29 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,830
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNorm View Post
In Volvoland, there is a concept for used cars called 'stage zero', which means that before adding any performance mods the entire car is first returned to OEM or better quality in all major areas. Brakes, suspension, motor and tires.
Thats not at all what a state zero is - not even on volvo forums (volvospeed or turbobricks).
__________________
2011 535i
2003 745li (Sold)


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #52  
Old 05-18-2017, 07:10 AM
ChiNorm ChiNorm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 225
Mein Auto: Volvo s60 awd
Cranial flatulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535proud View Post
Thanks for the response but I think you have me mixed up with someone else. My car doesn't have any mechanical issues and I don't have Hankook tires. I've got four Continental Conti Sport Contact 3E SSR, 245/45R18XL , 96Y.
I just posted to get ideas on good replacement rims/tires, and have learned a lot from these fine gents. I will most definitely test drive different rim and tire variations so I can understand them better...their advantages and disadvantages. I'm on the Puget Sound so I need good handling in rain, but not so much in snow. I'll be trying to improve handling while maintaining comfort... and God willing, no bent rims.
My bad, meant for another thread. So sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 AM
F10-N52 F10-N52 is offline
Banned
Location: Vaughan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,891
Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
Maintain comfort while still having levels of performance? That will be your current 18 inch setup lol..

I have 35/r19 rims (very thin and aggressive sidewall) and while the ride is not as aggressive as you think, it's pretty rough over our garbage Toronto roads. On smooth pavement it's great, it handles amazing compared to my previous 55/r17 tire, but you've got a good balance of the two. If I was young and didn't care about looks or handling I would have gotten 18inch rims.

Funny enough, we have the identical rim size front and rear. I have 225 front 265 rear and I can get the rear tires to step out and rotate.... on a 528i!!! The 225 fronts are just a little too thin for this car (mind you they are extremely capable pilot super sport tires)

So... the perfect setup for our car is 235 front 255 rear. This will be my next setup - will be getting pilot super sports of course. Or firestone Indy 500
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:23 PM
535proud 535proud is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle area
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2014 535i RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
Maintain comfort while still having levels of performance? That will be your current 18 inch setup lol..

I have 35/r19 rims (very thin and aggressive sidewall) and while the ride is not as aggressive as you think, it's pretty rough over our garbage Toronto roads. On smooth pavement it's great, it handles amazing compared to my previous 55/r17 tire, but you've got a good balance of the two. If I was young and didn't care about looks or handling I would have gotten 18inch rims.

Funny enough, we have the identical rim size front and rear. I have 225 front 265 rear and I can get the rear tires to step out and rotate.... on a 528i!!! The 225 fronts are just a little too thin for this car (mind you they are extremely capable pilot super sport tires)

So... the perfect setup for our car is 235 front 255 rear. This will be my next setup - will be getting pilot super sports of course. Or firestone Indy 500
More and more, as I'm being schooled here, it's becoming clear that the 18s I'm running are probably the best for me. I may go to a different style at some point, but there's no rush to do it when I change out my tires. So the tires are now my main focus. Size wise I will decide between 235 or 245 front, and 245 or 255 rear, by driving the variations. If I don't notice any difference in steering I'll probably stay with the 245 fronts. If I don't notice an advantage to the 245s in the rear, then I'll probably go with the 255s because wide rear tires look bad a$$ on a 535.
__________________
First time I saw her on the lot.

Last edited by 535proud; 05-18-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:42 PM
IanS100 IanS100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southport, UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 379
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535proud View Post
If I don't notice an advantage to the 245s in the rear, then I'll probably go with the 255s because wide rear tires look bad a$$ on a 535.
Unless you're gonna get down and dirty with a ruler I doubt you'll be able to see the difference between a 245 and a 255, an extra 10mm certainly isn't gonna make it look bad a$$
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-18-2017, 07:54 PM
F10-N52 F10-N52 is offline
Banned
Location: Vaughan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,891
Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
Your current rims would make good winters.

Try to scoop a nice lightweight summer rim setup
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:20 PM
535proud 535proud is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle area
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2014 535i RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Unless you're gonna get down and dirty with a ruler I doubt you'll be able to see the difference between a 245 and a 255, an extra 10mm certainly isn't gonna make it look bad a$$
Nah, an extra 10mm won't make it bad a$$ mate, it'll make it bad a$$er!

Oh, and I don't like any rulers around when it's time to get down and dirty.
__________________
First time I saw her on the lot.

Last edited by 535proud; 05-18-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 AM
IanS100 IanS100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southport, UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 379
Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by f10-n52 View Post
your current rims would make good winters.

Try to scoop a nice lightweight summer rim setup
+1
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-19-2017, 12:40 AM
535proud 535proud is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle area
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2014 535i RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
Your current rims would make good winters.

Try to scoop a nice lightweight summer rim setup
Please explain what about my rims make them good winters.

What weight is lightweight, or is that a rim category? Should I stick with BMW rims?
__________________
First time I saw her on the lot.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 AM
F10-N52 F10-N52 is offline
Banned
Location: Vaughan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,891
Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/365

Here is a link of your current rims. On the right side you will see the weight of the rims. They are certainly on the heavier side - mine are too actually. My style 269 rims (19) are a little bit heavier then yours.

Generally, I would recommend sticking to OEM/genuine BMW rims but there's nothing wrong with an aftermarket set if it is good quality and fits the look of the car well IMO. For example if you get gloss black 19 inch rims, tint the windows, black out all the chrome around your car to match the rims, perhaps a carbon fibre lip front/rear all this would contrast the white paint beautifully and look amazing..

Anyways, if you do find new rims make sure to look for the weight online - the lighter the better.

Your current rims are good for winter because they have a fatter sidewall (45/r18 is good for snow) be aware, a square setup is very strongly recommended for winter duty. I'd go 245 all around for your current rims in the winter.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:49 PM
gtmaster303 gtmaster303 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 286
Mein Auto: Porsche Cayenne
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I'm afraid wheel size is all down to personal taste and whilst I personally think 17" wheels look ridiculous on a 5 series, and look to be close to cartoon size with the big balloon tyres, I think 20 look just as ridiculous. For me the sweet spot is 18" or 19" with the latter looking slightly better whilst the 18" are more practical, but if you prefer 17" or 20" go for it, they're your wheels.
17 inch rims yea but the ride is amazing. It soaks up bumps so well. Perfect for the ****ty roads up here in the northeast.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 PM
F10-N52 F10-N52 is offline
Banned
Location: Vaughan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,891
Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
I'm sorry but that's hideous they don't fit the look of the car. Not even a little bit.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:39 PM
F10-N52 F10-N52 is offline
Banned
Location: Vaughan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,891
Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
Read your comment somewhere regarding 17/20 inch rims looking silly on the 5 series.

100% agreed. I had 17 inch rims on my car from the factory and it just looked... so boring and plain. I decided to go with 19's because I feel like 20's are a little too flashy and silly looking. They also felt too heavy IMO. I got style 269 rims and was amazing at how nice it looks on the 5 series. It transformed the look of the car completely and I fell in love with my car all over again. The handling with the new pilot super sports... only way to describe it is capable. Steering precision and body roll has drastically improved due to the smaller sidewall. The car does not crash as bad as you would think over bumps but you must avoid the rough stuff at all costs...

I am happy with my decision to go with 19's. It certainly stands out on the road and people look at the car, but 20's would be too flashy... I'm not the flashy type. I want the car to stand out but not overly so... make a precense without causing too much of a scene and that's literally spot on the persona of the 5 series. I also need functionality... 20's are not functional for a daily driver...




Before and after. Big difference
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-19-2017, 08:24 PM
535proud 535proud is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle area
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2014 535i RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/365

Here is a link of your current rims. On the right side you will see the weight of the rims. They are certainly on the heavier side - mine are too actually. My style 269 rims (19) are a little bit heavier then yours.

Generally, I would recommend sticking to OEM/genuine BMW rims but there's nothing wrong with an aftermarket set if it is good quality and fits the look of the car well IMO. For example if you get gloss black 19 inch rims, tint the windows, black out all the chrome around your car to match the rims, perhaps a carbon fibre lip front/rear all this would contrast the white paint beautifully and look amazing..

Anyways, if you do find new rims make sure to look for the weight online - the lighter the better.

Your current rims are good for winter because they have a fatter sidewall (45/r18 is good for snow) be aware, a square setup is very strongly recommended for winter duty. I'd go 245 all around for your current rims in the winter.
So far I've tinted the windows and installed the Burger JB+ Performance Tuner. Two good starts!
__________________
First time I saw her on the lot.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 PM
535proud 535proud is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle area
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2014 535i RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
Read your comment somewhere regarding 17/20 inch rims looking silly on the 5 series.

100% agreed. I had 17 inch rims on my car from the factory and it just looked... so boring and plain. I decided to go with 19's because I feel like 20's are a little too flashy and silly looking. They also felt too heavy IMO. I got style 269 rims and was amazing at how nice it looks on the 5 series. It transformed the look of the car completely and I fell in love with my car all over again. The handling with the new pilot super sports... only way to describe it is capable. Steering precision and body roll has drastically improved due to the smaller sidewall. The car does not crash as bad as you would think over bumps but you must avoid the rough stuff at all costs...

I am happy with my decision to go with 19's. It certainly stands out on the road and people look at the car, but 20's would be too flashy... I'm not the flashy type. I want the car to stand out but not overly so... make a precense without causing too much of a scene and that's literally spot on the persona of the 5 series. I also need functionality... 20's are not functional for a daily driver...




Before and after. Big difference
The top photo is 19s? I would have guessed 20s...optical illusion with those rims.
You're right, the 17s are too small.
__________________
First time I saw her on the lot.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-20-2017, 12:56 PM
F10-N52 F10-N52 is offline
Banned
Location: Vaughan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,891
Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
Yes, I have 19's on the car right now. Same rim sizes as your car actually.

The 17 inch rims in the other pic are my winter tires. It's a square setup with a meaty sidewall (55) which is perfect for snow.

Here's a pic of my current rims: the 19's look a little small in this pic.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 PM
535proud 535proud is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle area
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2014 535i RWD
You're rims look great. They appear noticeably bigger than my 18s. It's amazing what a difference 1 inch can make in the look, and the handling characteristics.
__________________
First time I saw her on the lot.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-20-2017, 05:37 PM
F10-N52 F10-N52 is offline
Banned
Location: Vaughan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,891
Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
I strongly recommend looking for a light set - the lighter it is the better it will handle.

For this car I recommend 245/40/r19 on the front. I never expected my 528i to make use of 265 rear tires.... it does. I get good rotation And it tailwhips pretty sick! Tires are really important I love these pilot super sports. I vouch for them.. very, very good tires. Here's one more pic - love this car.

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 PM
535proud 535proud is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle area
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2014 535i RWD
But is a lighter rim more prone to pothole damage? When I'm investing in good rims, it's a concern.
__________________
First time I saw her on the lot.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-20-2017, 05:58 PM
F10-N52 F10-N52 is offline
Banned
Location: Vaughan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,891
Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
No, it depends on the quality of the rim.

As long as you have a 40+ sidewall, you'll be fine even with replica rims. I'd recommend not getting replicas though.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-20-2017, 09:38 PM
550iFreak 550iFreak is offline
Registered User
Location: Deltona FL
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550i 6MT
I am running 245/40 R19 in the front
275/35 R19 in the rear

Comfortable, rides really well. I am due for tires soon, currently running michelin primacy. I do want a different wheel style...

I am surprised that I have 275 rears since most here recommend at most a 60 or 65....
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 PM
F10-N52 F10-N52 is offline
Banned
Location: Vaughan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,891
Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
I mean, you already have 19 inch rims and they look pretty nice on the car. Unless you really want nicer rims (which is understandable on such a car) I would put that money toward good tires instead.

For the record, the current tires you have on your car are garbage unless you are a commuter or conservative. Owning a 6 speed manual RWD 550i (a unicorn in many parts of North America) I imagine you don't drive so conservative. I would get hjgjer performance tires like pilot super sport
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-20-2017, 10:05 PM
535proud 535proud is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle area
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2014 535i RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
No, it depends on the quality of the rim.

As long as you have a 40+ sidewall, you'll be fine even with replica rims. I'd recommend not getting replicas though.
Roger that. Going to start perusing the rims out there now that I know the tires and tire sizes I want. I'll post candidates.
__________________
First time I saw her on the lot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.