Northern italy suggestions - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Nice itinerary. My experience is the Eastern "path" around Lake Como was more challenging than the West; especially from Bellagio Southwards
I agree that from Bellagio south is tight, we drove up from Lego to Varenno which was perfect. That is the eastern side of the lake.

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: 230i Cabrio - ED'ed 5-18
It's hard to go wrong in this part of the world. I'm seconding the motion approving of your itinerary. For me, trying to see too much results in not having experienced a damn thing. You're constantly checking into and out of hotels, trying to find the next place you're staying, and compromising actually being someplace new.

The trick with Venice is that if you're driving, parking the car and getting or out of the city is pretty time consuming and can be a little tricky as well, just because it's all so different. Best to park the car, stay right in the middle of the city so you can experience it after the hordes of day-trippers have left, and spend a couple of days at least. Three is better. This would let you get out to the smaller islands in the lagoon as well.

Similar recommendation on Lake Como. Park the car and take the ferries (Vaporetti). Buy a ticket that allows you to get on and off when you see a place that looks promising. Wander around, rub elbows with the locals, walk into a random place when they're serving. You won't be disappointed.

One last note regarding Como. The roads are narrow, with the stone stoops of houses right at the edge of the road. And like many places in Italy, there are lots and lots of tour buses that you have to share the roads with - especially oncoming. If in doubt, move over as far as you can and wait. the bus driver will miss you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolomite lake vert.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	770242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Off the beaten path in Bellagio.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	770250  

2014 ED: Born Yesterday - 3rd ED off to a (mostly) flawless start
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=793345

2011 ED: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=545068

2008 ED: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha..?"
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288271
Old 02-12-2018, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4
I might get beat up for this but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank325 View Post
Thanks guys. It's great having this resource here and being able to go into these excursions informed!
if you are going to stay anywhere near Lake Como, do some research, some of the hotels have roads that are a joke to drive on...if I had a crappy little and I do mean little car I would do it, otherwise do serious research about how to get to and from the hotel you pick. We ended up just moving on down the road after discovering the insanity of the tight roads and no pullouts. Your car is brand new...you might want to keep it that way for a day or two . as far as Lake Como being a MUST...meh the pollution was so bad when we were there, you could not see the lake from the light houses. We enjoyed a lot of other places in northern Italy but Lake Como was a total let down from what we were told to expect. btw Pollution in Northern Italy is a problem beyond Lake Como but it was very pronounced there. apparently the lake is quite polluted too we were advised not to swim in it...not that we planned to but I wonder why people find this location so spectacular. Perhaps your experience will be different but my entire family(4 adults) felt it was the low-light of our northern Italy experience.

Sorry for being so negative about the place but honestly, we will not bother trying it again. Verona, Florence, Vicenza, even Venice were all very nice.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by danac787 View Post
if you are going to stay anywhere near Lake Como, do some research, some of the hotels have roads that are a joke to drive on...if I had a crappy little and I do mean little car I would do it, otherwise do serious research about how to get to and from the hotel you pick. We ended up just moving on down the road after discovering the insanity of the tight roads and no pullouts. Your car is brand new...you might want to keep it that way for a day or two . as far as Lake Como being a MUST...meh the pollution was so bad when we were there, you could not see the lake from the light houses. We enjoyed a lot of other places in northern Italy but Lake Como was a total let down from what we were told to expect. btw Pollution in Northern Italy is a problem beyond Lake Como but it was very pronounced there. apparently the lake is quite polluted too we were advised not to swim in it...not that we planned to but I wonder why people find this location so spectacular. Perhaps your experience will be different but my entire family(4 adults) felt it was the low-light of our northern Italy experience.

Sorry for being so negative about the place but honestly, we will not bother trying it again. Verona, Florence, Vicenza, even Venice were all very nice.

'18 330i Mediterranean Blue Metallic / Cognac/Dark Brown / Sport Line

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search