Is 550i really that horrible? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi
My car broker has always said Mercedes makes a better V8, BMW makes the better 6 cyl. Our 08 535xi N54 is a great engine. On those two points I think I'll stick with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2018, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 530
Forgot to add that my E60 ran strong for 200k miles with literally no issues except the well documented cooling system issue @125K.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 G30 BMW 540I MSPORT
Good luck, I wouldn't buy it without a decent warranty. I owned a 11' 550 xdrive and it was a complete nightmare. Thank God I purchased a 4k warranty, because I literally racked up atleast 15k in repairs in a years time. All engine problems. I currently have a 2017 540... As everyone should know, with BMW, THE LESS CYLINDERS, THE LESS PROBLEMS

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-17-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afeudale View Post
Thanks guys for all the responses! and helloooo to fellow Torontonian lucaa!

Oil consumption I am ok with...I can always keep a bottle in the trunk I suppose.

I don't plan on tuning it, so that should help as well...and I don't drive too hard.

What should I look for (specific to N63) if I see the car in person? Any way to detect if it had the CCP? Or even if the whole engine was replaced?

I also read about some idling tests to look for smoke indicating oil consumption issue?

jjrandorin, why do you say the E60 is better than the F10? It's not that the 11-13 550i is my only choice, but it's near impossible to find any decent car in manual transmission any more - and I *only* drive stick.

Thanks again guys!
If you see a light talking about the battery charge being low, RUN...

Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi 6-spd
Stay with the E60

This past November I came across a mint, meticulously maintained 2006 530xi (auto tranny, sigh) with 70k miles. A BMW dealer was offering it so I took that as a strong endorsement for the car’s condition and pedigree (they had sold it new and maintained it throughout). It has HUD, PDC, heated front and rear seats, and BMWs passable NAV/iDrive. It is unquestionably the best car I’ve ever owned, despite being twelve years old, and the reason is simple; it is truly one of the last of the true ‘Ultimate Driving Machine’ BMWs that still possesses that magical BMW handling and ride combination. In fact, IMHO ALL of the ‘E’ chassis BMWs represented the marque properly in that respect, and I’ve owned four of them. I’ve driven F chassis 3 and 5 series cars and while they are excellent cars, they re not excellent BMWs. Everything about their legendary dynamics has been compromised in the F cars in the interest of expanding sales via broad based blandness. ‘BMW’ = ‘Buick’s, Munich’s Way’. Heck, you need to hit the ‘sport’ button in the 3-series to have its reactions even start to approximate an ultimate driving machine, lest it default to, well, God knows what.
I haven’t driven. G car yet but I read encouraging things about them. That said, the very low miles example 530xi you have is a definitive keeper. As has been said about countless other products, “They don’t make them like that anymore”.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobster6 View Post
This past November I came across a mint, meticulously maintained 2006 530xi (auto tranny, sigh) with 70k miles. A BMW dealer was offering it so I took that as a strong endorsement for the car’s condition and pedigree (they had sold it new and maintained it throughout). It has HUD, PDC, heated front and rear seats, and BMWs passable NAV/iDrive. It is unquestionably the best car I’ve ever owned, despite being twelve years old, and the reason is simple; it is truly one of the last of the true ‘Ultimate Driving Machine’ BMWs that still possesses that magical BMW handling and ride combination. In fact, IMHO ALL of the ‘E’ chassis BMWs represented the marque properly in that respect, and I’ve owned four of them. I’ve driven F chassis 3 and 5 series cars and while they are excellent cars, they re not excellent BMWs. Everything about their legendary dynamics has been compromised in the F cars in the interest of expanding sales via broad based blandness. ‘BMW’ = ‘Buick’s, Munich’s Way’. Heck, you need to hit the ‘sport’ button in the 3-series to have its reactions even start to approximate an ultimate driving machine, lest it default to, well, God knows what.
I haven’t driven. G car yet but I read encouraging things about them. That said, the very low miles example 530xi you have is a definitive keeper. As has been said about countless other products, “They don’t make them like that anymore”.
The issue's weren't with any f10 model other than the 550

Old 07-17-2018, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobster6 View Post

I agree with all this after 3 E39’s and an E36.

Not hopeful G’s are any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-18-2018, 01:38 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
I have a dreaded 2011 550i pre Sep 2010 build. It had I'm a guinea pig written all over it. I got it CPO with 22K miles and couldn't pass it up because it was fully loaded with everything except the msport kit. I opted to add the full extended warranty through 7 years and it expired last October.

I love driving the 550i NOW. I HATED it when it was stock and had buyers remorse. I wasn't expecting to spend on aftermarket but being unsatisfied with the lack of throttle response and feeling like I was driving a boat, I didn't have a choice. Sticking with Dinan, I added stage 3, shockwave, springs, and exhaust. It's like a whole different car.

Now the maintenance journey. . . I got the CCP done and while they had everything out, paid for them to walnut shell blast to clean up the gunk. It drove smoother and had an extra pep to it. I never got the dreaded malfunction lights. The engine continued to burn oil and I'd just go to the dealership and they would top it off for free.

I did however make a case to my SA right before warranty ended to just check the car and see if there are any issues. (Specifically around the engine, leaks, and turbos) They found some oil leaks near the turbos so they went ahead an replaced both turbos and its surrounding parts. That was probably a 10-12K job if it wasn't covered.

My 2 cents, only if you are willing to spend extra for piece of mind on extended warranty(2011's aren't covered anymore b/c of age), don't do it. I think I got lucky with mine in that nothing broke on me that wasn't covered under warranty.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto:
6 Speed Manual

I bought my first BMW ten weeks ago and this is my first post. I bought a 2013 535i with a manual transmission and, so far, I am very pleased. I noted with interest the comments about having a strong preference for a stick. I have this preference also. I have owned a stick since the 1960's. This preference helped greatly in that my online search in the San Francisco Bay Area could only identify 4-6 535i's with a manual. So this narrowed my search from hundreds to a handful.

Since some of the posts above suggest the increase rarity of manuals, I wonder if people can help quantify what percentage of F10 535i's are manual?

And I hope such rarity would help with any resale.

RMB
Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto:
6 Speed Manual

I bought my first BMW ten weeks ago and this is my first post. I bought a 2013 535i with 60,000 miles from a private party. So far I am very pleased.

I have owned sticks since the 1960’s and they are my preference. By looking for a manual in the San Francisco area, I was able to narrow my search from the hundreds down to 4-6 only.

I agree with the enumerated positive characteristics of manuals. Very happy I stayed with my preference.

It was suggested above that manual transmissions are rare. My question is how rare? Any informed estimates?
Old 07-19-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBoyd View Post
I bought my first BMW ten weeks ago and this is my first post. I bought a 2013 535i with 60,000 miles from a private party. So far I am very pleased.

I have owned sticks since the 1960’s and they are my preference. By looking for a manual in the San Francisco area, I was able to narrow my search from the hundreds down to 4-6 only.

I agree with the enumerated positive characteristics of manuals. Very happy I stayed with my preference.

It was suggested above that manual transmissions are rare. My question is how rare? Any informed estimates?
What exactly does this have to do with the Op's thread... Why

Old 07-19-2018, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdecastro77 View Post
What exactly does this have to do with the Op's thread... Why

I thought that rboyds post was in relation to the OPs preference for a manual transmission, and letting OP know a 535 in manual transmission might be a viable choice.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Old 07-19-2018, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
The stopped building manual transmission 535i's on February 28th, 2014. Mine was built on February 24th. I read somewhere that 5% of BMW's sold in the U.S. are manuals, and that was a few years ago. The Europeans have embraced the DCT in performance cars, more than North Americans. The F10 M5 only offered an manual here. I suspect that most of those 5% manuals were M 2/3/4's and 2/3/4 Series cars. So, a manual 535i might be closer to 1%.

My 535i is a Luxury Line with a manual. So, it's probably a unicorn.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 AM

Time to close this one... No longer on subject

Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Apology

I apologize for wandering off topic. Nonetheless, what Autoputzer and JJRandorin wrote was very useful information. Thank you.

100% stock
Tinted windows
Old 07-20-2018, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: MY12 550I,MY09 X5.
As a 550I owner who bought a car and a warranty knowing the history of this car I would risk it again. Sadly I am still out a lot of money. Look at the class action thread on this car. Its very very bad.

At 85k + Miles expect to need the oil pan gaskets replaced. At 90,000 your consuming on average 1 quart of oil or more and your valve's are probably in need of a carbon blast. The problem with this is the intake valves are on the outside of the V and you need to take the engine out to get to them. The valve steam seals also need to be replaced about now also.

Crank case vent system is more than likely so heat soaked it probably cracked at this time also. So ideal at this stage its cheaper to just replace the engine than it is to replaced parts

Turbo hard lines and hoses probably leaking now too.

At 3,700 for a new engine and 6k for install you are left with no alternative but to sell the car on or pay the engine swap and keep it.

My cars well into the 30k in repairs in 12 months but I think I have done enough to keep it for another 5 years. That is a good new car at this cost.

Last edited by Leekay07; 07-20-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 323iT
Ok. Now I’m sick at my stomach after my purchase a month ago on my 550i. Apparently I should have done some research

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-21-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby "Brown" View Post
Ok. Now I’m sick at my stomach after my purchase a month ago on my 550i. Apparently I should have done some research

I hope you got a decent warranty... BTW, some of the things needing repair, the dealer will automatically take care of, if it hasn't already been done on your vehicle

Old 07-21-2018, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
I have a 2014 550 Msport with 31k miles. Bought it CPO last year with 24k miles.Absolutely no problems. Burns 1/2 quart of oil every 2.5k miles. My 2002 325 and my 2008 535 burned about the same. So not every 550 sucks.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boepilot View Post
I have a 2014 550 Msport with 31k miles. Bought it CPO last year with 24k miles.Absolutely no problems. Burns 1/2 quart of oil every 2.5k miles. My 2002 325 and my 2008 535 burned about the same. So not every 550 sucks.
You happened to purchase the beginning year that BMW finally started doing something about the issues.. You can buy a 2016 model f10 550 and I'm sure will be be no issues. That 2011 model though, I doubt one could escape from the inevitable

Old 07-21-2018, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 323iT
Mine is a 2011 out of warranty and 117k miles M sport. My independent went over everything and saw only one issue with a hose that needed replacing. I may have to trade up

Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Mine at 49K mile now got no issue at all. Just regularly oil change every 7-8k miles. My last oil change, they updated the software and I feel little lag occur in comfort mode when speed up then slow down and speed up again where the lag happens. Other than this, everything work great so far.

Current 2014 550i, Jet Black / Black Dakota Black, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim, M-Sport Package, Executive Package, LED Lighting Package, M Aerodynamics Package, HUD, Adaptive LED Headlight, ECU Flash tuned stage 2, BAVSOUND stage 1 speakers on Premium Surround Sound System & JL Amp+12"Subwoofer. Surround/top View Camera, BMW Apps via SmartPhone, Split fold-down-rear seat ...
2014 550i (Curent)
2014 X6 (Wife)
2010 535i M-sport (traded-in)
2008 335i Sold

Old 07-24-2018, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550i 6MT
2011 550i 6mt here.

Bought it at 75k miles, now clocked 110k on the dot yesterday. Good car, love it.

Has her share of issues but I tackled them since the warranty is a cu**.

Here's what I did to her:
90 degree thermostat
BMS stage 2 tune
Catless dps
Muffler delete

Valve seals( yup....I did them myself. It was fun lemme tell ya but 1500 dollar job sounds much better than ANY QUOTE I HEARD) and trust issues...

Valve cover gaskets
Injector seal refresh
Vanos seal refresh
Both aux pumps(one died, one was misdiaged so I have a spare)
Alternator(my fault)
Oil level sensor(my fault)
Filter, plugs.

Used to burn a quart at 1 to 1.5k miles.
Now....I drove over 4k miles so far and it didn't even budge the gauge yet.

Car used to smoke with stock exhaust. Embarrassing.
Now she is fully catless and deleted. Only smoke is a small puff of black from first gear digs and tire smoke after 2nd lmao.

I love my 550i
Old 07-25-2018, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 550i xDrive
At what miles did you have to do the valve stem seals?
I am waiting to install the 90C tstat; part is sitting in my garage for 5 months.
Aux pumps under recall. Go get your money back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550iFreak View Post
2011 550i 6mt here.

Bought it at 75k miles, now clocked 110k on the dot yesterday. Good car, love it.

Has her share of issues but I tackled them since the warranty is a cu**.

Here's what I did to her:
90 degree thermostat
BMS stage 2 tune
Catless dps
Muffler delete

Valve seals( yup....I did them myself. It was fun lemme tell ya but 1500 dollar job sounds much better than ANY QUOTE I HEARD) and trust issues...

Valve cover gaskets
Injector seal refresh
Vanos seal refresh
Both aux pumps(one died, one was misdiaged so I have a spare)
Alternator(my fault)
Oil level sensor(my fault)
Filter, plugs.

Used to burn a quart at 1 to 1.5k miles.
Now....I drove over 4k miles so far and it didn't even budge the gauge yet.

Car used to smoke with stock exhaust. Embarrassing.
Now she is fully catless and deleted. Only smoke is a small puff of black from first gear digs and tire smoke after 2nd lmao.

I love my 550i
Old 07-25-2018, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550i 6MT
85k miles: thermostat done
105k miles: valve seals, gaskets, tune up, oil change done

I saw the recall, I was mad lol. I hope I can get reimbursement for the pump.

So now it is 5k miles and no oil loss

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search