Headlight Condensation - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche Cayenne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Ok everyone I have an update....
I drove around with the top cap off for almost 2 weeks with no issues. In that time the headlight completely dried out. No extra moisture ever got in, despite driving through a rainstorm and so forth.

While the cap was off, I decided to let wash it off with just some water. There was a lot gunk and grime caked on after so many years and miles. Let that dry for over a week.

Randomly I decided to put the cap back on and it works. Condensation doesn't come back, headlight is super clear.

I think water vapor here is the main culprit. Make sure the whole assembly is bone dry (give it at least a week after all condensation has gone before putting back together). I'm sure wetting the seal and cleaning the cover also helped rejuvenate it's water proofing abilities
Thanks for sharing. I will leave the cap off for a while and see if I get lucky.

When you say 'While the cap was off, I decided to let wash it off with just some water", do you mean you washed the cap?
Correct I washed the cap. If you want, you can try conditioning the seal as well, but wash was enough for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535xi
The cap on my 2013 looks brand new, spotless.

I had a severe condensation yesterday and after leaving the cap off overnight, it is clear this morning. This works to clear a condensation temporarily. However, whenever if I put the cap back on, the condensation will come back.

I found no clear answer for the purpose of the cap and why we need it air tight. I will leave if off for a couple of weeks until whatever vapor/water accumulation is gone and it is completely dry.

I was thinking of buying a spare cap and drill a breathing hole. Sounds to me that a draining hole, if there is one, is clogged. Not sure where it is located for me to check without taking the headlight assembly out.

Last edited by dvdit; 03-01-2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdit View Post
The cap on my 2013 looks brand new, spotless.

I had a severe condensation yesterday and after leaving the cap off overnight, it is clear this morning. This works to clear a condensation temporarily. However, whenever if I put the cap back on, the condensation will come back.

I found no clear answer for the purpose of the cap and why we need it air tight. I will leave if off for a couple of weeks until whatever vapor/water accumulation is gone and it is completely dry.

I was thinking of buying a spare cap and drill a breathing hole. Sounds to me that a draining hole, if there is one, is clogged. Not sure where it is located for me to check without taking the headlight assembly out.
As I posted before, even if the cap looks fine, it might be a seal issue. Try wetting or conditioning the seal.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
As I posted before, even if the cap looks fine, it might be a seal issue. Try wetting or conditioning the seal.
Do I have to take the headlight out to do that? Short instructions if you please?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Quote:
Driver side headlight has a significant amount of Condensation in it. I dried it out with a hairdryer but it came back. Looks like early F10s are prone to this problem because I've seen at least a few others with the same issue. Does anyone know how to resolve this or reseal the headlight?

Thanks
Our cars must have came off the assembly line one after the other...

A couple of weeks ago, I had my driver side headlight showing some condensation on the back corner with some light, but constant rain. It went away after 2 days of dry weather and driving around. Then it came back a little bit after another short rainstorm, but went away quickly. Didn't take time to investigate since it was just a little bit of condensation, but I will take the top cover off, clean, condition, etc.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:52 AM

Update:

Bought a replacement headlight cap for my 2013 535 Xi, drilled two small holes diagonally, thinking drilling at an angle will limit any debris/water from coming inside the headlight. I saved the original cap and will put it back if I see any issues come up because of the small air vents I drilled into the new headlight cap I bought off Ebay.

I drove around in the rain and went to pressure wash car wash and so far I don't see any water get into the headlight. The great news is the heavy condensation issue has been resolved for me. It has been three weeks so far and I no longer have any water condensation forming. $25 fix for which the dealer asked $5400 plus labor!! LOL Thank you all for your inputs!
Old 03-29-2020, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 535 Sport
Sounds like a good fix. Please consider sharing a photo of the fix since I may go this route too instead of having to swap out the silica packets. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2020, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 525i
Headlight Condensation

For an even quicker fix, you can remove the large cap on the back of the housing (you may do the same for the one on top alos), remove the gasket from the cap and turn it upside down - problem solved. I also used rubber conditioner on the gasket(s).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3-IN-ONE-R...ONER/428554954

I took the bumper off and pressure test the headlight housig after - all is good. Make sure you cover the two vents when testing.

As a preventive measure, I put caulking between the housing and the lens all around to both headlights

The easiest way to save $$$

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3362.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	886907

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by vini_079; 03-30-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:18 AM

Ongoing update. I would probably not recommend keeping the top cap off forever. Somehow water got back into the headlight, despite not being driven. There were rainstorms for a few days and significant amount of moisture came back. I may try drilling some holes in the cap to keep the majority of the water out.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: F10 528i
Quote:
Update:
Can anyone tell me what the top cover does specifically? I took it off and the headlight cleared out after a few days and no water has come back since. Even in heavy rain and highway driving, headlight is still clear and no water has gotten in from the top. I would say it's unlikely given there's a plastic flap right over it and weather stripping for the hood area. If I put the cap on, condensation comes back after a few days.

But I'm still concerned about leaving it off permanently. I'm sure it serves a purpose of some kind. Any advice? Thanks
Did the same thing. The top cover is in my garage roughly 4 months. The headlight is dry as new. Even after car wash 2x/week.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto:
I had the same exact problem! I wish someone would of posted this way back. Long story short, the condensation burned one of my modules and i replaced it for 80 dlrs on amazon. I also took them both off and applied bathroom caulking around it and also all the caps. No water gets in now. Fixed for 8 dlrs. + the module which could have been prevented if i had acted fast enough.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto:
I fixed this year long issue last month by replacing the headlights. Bought a salvage with exact matching part number (paid $700 on ebay from vehicle with 20k miles) and just replaced it. Don't fall for silicone gel, blower kind of shortcut ideas; if you see condensation look towards either repairing the headlights or replacing with different one.

I kept trying shortcut methods and while replacing the headlight, realized how bad the mistake was. Control module pins were rusted and connector started to wear due to some green oxide. Inside the headlights I could see molds building up from backside. Also, my battery died significantly after this condensation issue. In the end I realized the turn signal rubber sealant had worn out slightly (evidence = mold crawling out) and if I had acted before, I could have saved this headlight.

The condensation after months, started to show the errors- 1. Left Turn signal malfunction 2. Daytime Parking light malfunction. In winter, the right turn signal had also stopped working.

Last edited by cashreedhar; 06-02-2020 at 10:12 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search