Port Installed Accessories - Pricing and Availability - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 435 xDrive Coupe
Port Installed Accessories - Pricing and Availability

So this weekend BMW came back to me with more incentives to keep me from leaving the brand. I have been working with the same dealer for years and have a decent relationship. However, this time their M Performance add ons (port installed) are not priced the same as http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PERFORMANC...MIC-COMPONENTS and the carbon trim is now a package -according to them.

Like my last car I went to above link and priced out grill, M power and sound, Pedals, carbon tips, console, selector, brake and trim. The descrepencies:

1. They tell me that you can't order the interior carbon separately. This consists of (center console, gear selector, brake boot, dash/door trim. If I price on the site it totals $1523. They say I must buy a package that also includes the center console and it is now $2070.
2. For some reason I can add a black kidney grill to the car on the config (installed in Germany) for $230 or I can add the PIA from the performance parts for $162. I did the $162 last time with no problem. I wonder why these are different?
3. ShopBMWUSA shows the power and sound kit for $2850. The dealer says it lists for $3230.

As on my '15 435, I am getting the parts for cost (HAHA... this assumes I have the correct MSRP and not the inflated one. This means MSRP - %25. All is installed at port. During my first car with these parts they tried to tell me they all had install charges and quickly dropped the charges when they found out how much I knew from this forum. THANKS!

To be honest, if they didn't come back with the added factory incentives, I would probably be moving to an S5 (and still might). Do any of you have confirmation of the dealer or my prices. Has anything changed since my '15 order and I am just living on old news? I want to be prepared before I call the dealer on the difference in numbers.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2017, 06:39 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

Mein Auto: '18 X3
Port Installed Accessories - Pricing and Availability

To be fair, I saw the upcoming RS-5 at Munich airport. It's pretty sexy...if you need to be talked into a brand then perhaps you should go with your initial gut reaction? I'm a BMW guy and went with the M4 for the same reason. Given that this is a BMW forum, I'm sure this response will be ill received and could be called counterintuitive.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 08-14-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayern///M4 View Post
To be fair, I saw the upcoming RS-5 at Munich airport. It's pretty sexy...if you need to be talked into a brand then perhaps you should go with your initial gut reaction? I'm a BMW guy and went with the M4 for the same reason. Given that this is a BMW forum, I'm sure this response will be ill received and could be called counterintuitive.

I am sure the RS5 is awesome and also not in my price range.

Sometimes change is good. My question above has more to do with pricing then which to chose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2017, 06:44 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

Sry...you last paragraph jumped out at me.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:09 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: m4 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
So this weekend BMW came back to me with more incentives to keep me from leaving the brand. I have been working with the same dealer for years and have a decent relationship. However, this time their M Performance add ons (port installed) are not priced the same as http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PERFORMANC...MIC-COMPONENTS and the carbon trim is now a package -according to them.

Like my last car I went to above link and priced out grill, M power and sound, Pedals, carbon tips, console, selector, brake and trim. The descrepencies:

1. They tell me that you can't order the interior carbon separately. This consists of (center console, gear selector, brake boot, dash/door trim. If I price on the site it totals $1523. They say I must buy a package that also includes the center console and it is now $2070.
2. For some reason I can add a black kidney grill to the car on the config (installed in Germany) for $230 or I can add the PIA from the performance parts for $162. I did the $162 last time with no problem. I wonder why these are different?
3. ShopBMWUSA shows the power and sound kit for $2850. The dealer says it lists for $3230.

As on my '15 435, I am getting the parts for cost (HAHA... this assumes I have the correct MSRP and not the inflated one. This means MSRP - %25. All is installed at port. During my first car with these parts they tried to tell me they all had install charges and quickly dropped the charges when they found out how much I knew from this forum. THANKS!

To be honest, if they didn't come back with the added factory incentives, I would probably be moving to an S5 (and still might). Do any of you have confirmation of the dealer or my prices. Has anything changed since my '15 order and I am just living on old news? I want to be prepared before I call the dealer on the difference in numbers.

Thanks everyone!
hi-i'm in situation similar to yours re new bmw-would you please telll me how you were able to get dealer to offer added incentives? did you just say were going to audi? thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smed melo View Post
hi-i'm in situation similar to yours re new bmw-would you please telll me how you were able to get dealer to offer added incentives? did you just say were going to audi? thanks
sent you PM regarding incentives.

I have it narrowed down to BMW and Audi. I consider many things when buying a car at this price.

1. Obviously need to love the car inside and out. This not only includes styling but also drive.
2. Price relative to what a I am getting must be competitive
3. My budget at the time.

When I bought my 435 in '15 I also loved the S5. However, the S5 did nothing for me in the style department. It was in need of an update. I felt BMW hit the style home run on the 435. I didn't care for suspension or body roll, though. Nor the fact I had to add all the M-Perf parts to get the car closer to how I wanted.

Now the tables are turned. The S5 is fresh and the 440 is feeling old. I can't test drive an M-Sport, Track, 440i around here since all we have is xDrives so I rely on these boards to guide me in how the 440i might feel to me. I will say the S5 drives tighter and with less roll than my current 435.

No decision has been made. I will take #2 above into full consideration.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 435i
I find the s5 interior refreshed but the exterior is boring and not as nice looking as the 4 series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 11:55 AM
2020 Z4 M40i

Mein Auto: 2020 Z4 M40i
You should be able to get the MPPSK for around $2500, port installed

CURRENT:
2020 Z4 M40i
2019 Chevy Suburban 4X4 RST 420BHP
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Yamaha V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
1965 COBRA 550BHP FORD Racing COYOTE TKO-600
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
480 WHP of BURBBLES
I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT 100 IN THE MORNING
Old 08-14-2017, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 440ix Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter04 View Post
I find the s5 interior refreshed but the exterior is boring and not as nice looking as the 4 series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not a fan of the nav screen that looks like a table glued to the dash board on the Audi.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Extended Euro Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
I am not a fan of the nav screen that looks like a table glued to the dash board on the Audi.

Their instrument cluster "virtual cockpit" is superior to BMWs, honestly, if I were going for interior alone, Audi wins. They are superior imho. I just can't bring myself to buy a rebadged VW

Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4
OK interesting topic. I just ordered a 340 for ED. the dealer says i cannot have options installed factory such as sound and exhaust package but they can do it at the dealer is the PIA really an option for ED if so where do I see the prices for that and how do I get that ball rolling? thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '16 GLE350
Quote:
Originally Posted by danac787 View Post
OK interesting topic. I just ordered a 340 for ED. the dealer says i cannot have options installed factory such as sound and exhaust package but they can do it at the dealer is the PIA really an option for ED if so where do I see the prices for that and how do I get that ball rolling? thanks
Last I heard, no, port install not available for ED cars.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD

Gone: '17 340i 6mt, MPPSK, PCD 2/17, '16 GLE350, '06 LR3 HSE, '14 320i 6MT ZSP ZPP PCD 5/14, '12 ML350 diesel, '11 Accord 5mt, '10 MDX, '08 Accord 5mt, '06 Xterra 6mt, '98 528i, '95 Mazda Millenia
Old 08-15-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danac787 View Post
Three years ago the msrp was just the prices on shop BMW USA.com. Thought this forum I learned the mark up was 25%. After I called the dealer on his markup and install charges he gave it all at 25% off what the web says. Today he has marked up the msrp from what the we says so I will call him on it again
Old 08-15-2017, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Can someone explain "port-installed" accessories to me? Does this mean there are BMW workers at the ports who install extras before the car is shipped to the dealer?
Old 08-15-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
Can someone explain "port-installed" accessories to me? Does this mean there are BMW workers at the ports who install extras before the car is shipped to the dealer?
PIA is done at the port when the care arrives. There should be no install cost. If you go to shopbmwusa.com most of the parts are PIA if you special order a car. This option is not available on a car on dealer lot as it has already passed through port.

On my last car I did the Power Tune and Exhaust. Full interior carbon and alcantara trim, rear diffuser and front kidney grill. I ordered the car form factory and these items were added when the car arrived in the Newark port.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
Another example of PIA accessories - I've had two 3-series cars get PIA installed. The first was a '14 335xi and I went with the M Performance Power Kit (MPPK). At the time it was not something BMW did a good job promoting. I had to request it from the dealer as it wasn't on the online configurator. In March of this year, I ordered a '17 340xi and had the M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) installed. In this case, they actually removed the factory installed exhaust system and replace it with the performance exhaust kit as well as install the tips I chose.

In both cases, the cars were leased, so I was able to residualize the components since they were PIA options. Had I got this done at the dealership, it would have had to pay for the parts & installation separately and not part of the lease. Also, PIA parts don't follow the 93% of MSRP to determine invoice. Instead, it's more like accessories you would buy directly from the dealer, so more like 75% of MSRP. I factored this into my lease deal as the MPPSK has a list price of ~$3,200 as a PIA. Lastly, if you are getting PIA's, it may extend the delivery time of your vehicle as they have to schedule and perform the installation.

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 08-15-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
Another example of PIA accessories - I've had two 3-series cars get PIA installed. The first was a '14 335xi and I went with the M Performance Power Kit (MPPK). At the time it was not something BMW did a good job promoting. I had to request it from the dealer as it wasn't on the online configurator. In March of this year, I ordered a '17 340xi and had the M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) installed. In this case, they actually removed the factory installed exhaust system and replace it with the performance exhaust kit as well as install the tips I chose.

In both cases, the cars were leased, so I was able to residualize the components since they were PIA options. Had I got this done at the dealership, it would have had to pay for the parts & installation separately and not part of the lease. Also, PIA parts don't follow the 93% of MSRP to determine invoice. Instead, it's more like accessories you would buy directly from the dealer, so more like 75% of MSRP. I factored this into my lease deal as the MPPSK has a list price of ~$3,200 as a PIA. Lastly, if you are getting PIA's, it may extend the delivery time of your vehicle as they have to schedule and perform the installation.

Thank chuck. Where do you get the MSRP of about 3200? This is what dealer is quoting but shopbmwusa.com shows about 2800. It seems dealer is east her marking all the PIA stuff up then subtracting 25% or my the website is wrong
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Porleau

Quote:
Thank chuck. Where do you get the MSRP of about 3200? This is what dealer is quoting but shopbmwusa.com shows about 2800. It seems dealer is east her marking all the PIA stuff up then subtracting 25% or my the website is wrong
The new configurator doesn't seem to show it as an 'option', but it was a $3,195 MSRP option. It is listed as such on my Monroney sticker. Knowing that there was ~25% play in the cost between invoice & MSRP, I factored that into my cap cost negotiations with the dealer. I did not negotiate it separately, however, so hard to say if I got 25% off. That said, I got a GREAT deal on the lease itself, so whatever!

I believe the increased PIA cost reflects the installation. Remember, the cost you are given on line or by the dealer doesn't include installation which is a few hours at their shop rate.

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
The new configurator doesn't seem to show it as an 'option', but it was a $3,195 MSRP option. It is listed as such on my Monroney sticker. Knowing that there was ~25% play in the cost between invoice & MSRP, I factored that into my cap cost negotiations with the dealer. I did not negotiate it separately, however, so hard to say if I got 25% off. That said, I got a GREAT deal on the lease itself, so whatever!

I believe the increased PIA cost reflects the installation. Remember, the cost you are given on line or by the dealer doesn't include installation which is a few hours at their shop rate.
PIA (installed at port, not dealer) parts have no install cost. It is a cost of doing business for BMW. That's the way it worked on my '15 and I hear nothing has changed. I see $2850 on web for Power and Sound. Then you need to add the cost of the tips on top of that.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Porleau

Quote:
PIA (installed at port, not dealer) parts have no install cost. It is a cost of doing business for BMW. That's the way it worked on my '15 and I hear nothing has changed. I see $2850 on web for Power and Sound. Then you need to add the cost of the tips on top of that.
Yes, I went with the Stainless Steel tips which were ~$128ea so $256 for the pair. Again, these can be discounted. Also, don't forget the 'M Performance' rocker sill decals (the subtle ones, not the ones that cover the entire rocker panel).

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
84 VW Rabbit GTI

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search