M4 or 440i ? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda
M4 or 440i ?

Hi all..
So I'm about to buy my 1st BMW.. I narrowed it down to M4 and 440i
I can afford either one.. obviously the M4 looks more aggressive, and is a better driving experience than 440i after test driving both cars, and an overall sexier car...my concerns are the following and would appreciate your input:

- somebody who owns an M4 told me that M4 doesn't drive well and is dangerous to drive in winter because it's a RWD (I live in VA where it snows in winter time).. I read on the forum that people are changing to winter tires.. but also read that even with winter tires on it's still not perfect?? Plus isn't it a pain in the ass to keep switching tires... store tires..then change again.. twice a year!

- I also heard that the tires lifespan is short.. is it because of the driving style of most M4 owners/ driving in race tracks? Or is it just something specifically related to M4 tires?

- do you think M4 is really worth the extra $500 per month to lease over 440i M sport?..

Note: I'm planning to use it for every day driving.. no plans to take it to tracks..etc..

Would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks

Ja3look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
If you're really thinking about choosing between a M4 and a 440i, then you should definitely stick to the latter.

OR:
Get a E90 M3, every time you set off and hear the throaty, metallic-sounding V8, itíll remind you that youíre driving a car that BMW dares not to make anymore and instead, currently muffles the sound with turbos and amplifies a fake exhaust note as if you wouldnít notice, but you so do.
Budget for a rod bearing replacement in the future, if it hasn't been done already.Having a shop do it could cost as much as $3000. Itís certainly possible to do it yourself, but novices need not apply.
Did I mention the tens of thousands of $ you'll be saving..?
Old 08-29-2017, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 440ix Coupe
I faced the same decision. I went with the 440ix coupe. Reasons: I live in New York so I did not what rear wheel drive. Also the M4 had a more "boy racer" look to be and since I am older that did not appeal to me. Also did not like the fact that the M4's front end eliminated the fog lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
I faced the same decision. I went with the 440ix coupe. Reasons: I live in New York so I did not what rear wheel drive. Also the M4 had a more "boy racer" look to be and since I am older that did not appeal to me. Also did not like the fact that the M4's front end eliminated the fog lights.
The E39 M5 was the about a good as it got for M styling. Those who care knew it was a M, but nobody else did. I'm 58. I too wish they'd dial back the ricey styling of the M's. But, Mercedes-Benz is heading there with their AMG's, too.

The solution is a conservatively styled Carrera or Carrera S. You can even get bright trim around the side windows.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2020 M4 ZCP
Test drive both and see if the difference in payment is worth it to you. But if you really want AWD, I'd rather get the new Audi S4/S5 rather than a 440xi. Also I've daily driven RWD in Northern VA for the past 9 years with no problems.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Just another Gear Head!

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
test drive both and see if the difference in payment is worth it to you. But if you really want awd, i'd rather get the new audi s4/s5 rather than a 440xi. Also i've daily driven rwd in northern va for the past 9 years with no problems.
+1
Old 08-29-2017, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 440ix Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillia View Post
+1
My wife had a M B C-class coupe (rear drive) about five years ago. All I can say is that it was horrible in the snow.

Last edited by J-RO; 08-29-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:34 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
If you can afford, M4 of course
Old 08-29-2017, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4
first, it doesn't snow everyday, you drive your car every day,...likely anyhow. so which one do you enjoy more. second, for an awful long time people drove rwd cars because that is all they had...we survived. third, buy what you like, worry about the 3-10 days of snow driving you are faced with. and finally, a youtuber, named Nick Murray has a video here that talks about driving a BMW M4 hes a bit of a loon, but I like his stuff and appreciate the information.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: F80 M3 / E24 633CSi
440 is a very nice car but M4 is a much better driver's car (as is any other M car vs regular series car). If you can afford it and it fits your lifestyle (eg you won't be commuting 100+ miles to work each day in heavy traffic, etc), go for M4.

For the winter months, you should get winter tires mounted on a separate set of wheels. This way you can swap wheels yourself between seasons. As for the longevity of the summer tires, M4 comes with summer performance tires. Those, in general, don't have a very high treadwear rating.

Don't know the current lease programs for these cars but the difference in lease payment between the two was around $200 when I was shopping ($600 for 440 vs $800 for M4). $500 is obviously a LOT more expensive, what are the exact lease quotes you got for both? It might be worth considering other cars as well if BMW lease programs aren't attractive at the moment.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:49 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Test drive both before making a decision. The 440i is a superior driving machine, but the M4's "swag" factor is huge! Good luck

Find BMW Carbon Fiber Parts | Web: www.rwcarbon.com
email: [email protected] | Facebook | Blog | Instagram
sales/customer service: 714.328.4406
Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
OP, you received a lot of good answers, but reading from your concerns, I am not sure you fully appreciated what they meant. We tend, on this forum and other, to assume that person reading had years of car forums under their belt. That is probably not the case with you. So ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja3look View Post
- somebody who owns an M4 told me that M4 doesn't drive well and is dangerous to drive in winter because it's a RWD (I live in VA where it snows in winter time).. I read on the forum that people are changing to winter tires.. but also read that even with winter tires on it's still not perfect?? Plus isn't it a pain in the ass to keep switching tires... store tires..then change again.. twice a year!
No car is safe to drive. Believe me, in the snow, you can get into danger with a 4X4 HD F250 just as fast as you can with M4. If you do not know what you are doing and if you have wrong tires on the vehicle, it is a tossup M4 vs even with 6-wheel drive vehicle, let alone all wheel drive or 4X4.

Winter tires are unnecessary if the snow gets plowed promptly in your area, all seasons will do. AWD is unnecessary unless you must regularly access steep uphills on unplowed roads - in which case you WILL have snow tires as well.

Both 440i and M4 can be equipped with all season tires. In case of 440i M Sport, be careful with wheel and tire options ordered or present on the car on the lot because you might end up with same tires as M4.

Quote:
- I also heard that the tires lifespan is short.. is it because of the driving style of most M4 owners/ driving in race tracks? Or is it just something specifically related to M4 tires?
Good max performance summer tire hardly lasts past 12,000 - 15,000 miles. New Michelin Pilot 4S promises 20,000 easily - but that is to be seen. Again, M4 and 440i M Sport will come with max performance summer tires. They both can be switched to all season tire.

Quote:
- do you think M4 is really worth the extra $500 per month to lease over 440i M sport?..
You know when you see a woman with a ring on her left ring finger and ask "Who in the world would marry THAT?!" - that is the same question you are asking here. Only you can answer that question.

Quote:
Note: I'm planning to use it for every day driving.. no plans to take it to tracks..etc..
There is not that much difference in everyday usability between the two. It is not like 440i has acres of trunk space over M4 or that 440i glides over clouds on the road while your teeth fillings fall off in M4.

Personally, I believe both cars are wasted on daily driving - unless you like to take it to the mountains on the weekend and open up in the twisties. No track driving necessary, but if all you do is roll from A to B with everybody else, I am not sure what will you get out of either car that you wouldn't with Honda Accord (for example).

Good luck!

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 08-30-2017, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by danac787 View Post
first, it doesn't snow everyday, you drive your car every day,...likely anyhow. so which one do you enjoy more. second, for an awful long time people drove rwd cars because that is all they had...we survived. third, buy what you like, worry about the 3-10 days of snow driving you are faced with. and finally, a youtuber, named Nick Murray has a video here that talks about driving a BMW M4 hes a bit of a loon, but I like his stuff and appreciate the information.

Totally agree.

A rear wheel drive car is waaaaay more fun than an AWD and drives just fine in the snow. In Va you may get 10 snow days....you're willing to sacrifice the other 355 days of the year? Its not like your M4 will become UNDRIVABLE during the snow...it just means you have to watch the roads more carefully. People drive around with ****ty corrllas and honda civics in the snow all the time-this isn't new.

The 440 is a great car, but only the M4 will turn heads and only the M4 will let you feel that 'supercar' feeling.

A lot of people say they won't track the M4 but many don't realize that simply accelerating around a bendy hilly road can feel phenomenal and that its not always about speed. Furthermore, the day you take it to the track you'll realize that you've been driving a MONSTER this whole time.

The BMW training center is closeby to you, take a course there. they will trian you on an m4 (theirs not yours) and you'll be able to drift your car and do all the fun stuff.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda
Thanks!

Great answers from everybody.. definitely very helpful..
I guess I can deal with driving my mazda in the 10 days of snow per year..
I will try to negotiate a good deal on the M4 and get it.. The first lease price they gave me was $5000 down with $1200 something per month.. reading some of your responses as well as other posts on this forum, it sounds like their asking for too much.. again this was the initial price they gave me with no negotiation.. will see if I can go down on the money factor.. to end up paying close to 1.25% of the car's price per month to lease it (somebody suggested this number as a fair number to pay)..
Old 08-31-2017, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: M3
How much is the M4 you're looking at? $1200/mo. seems high to me. I've seen well equipped 2018 M4's in the $1k/mo range after tax.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:09 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 330i
Uh, you tipped them off that you are clueless about leasing, and they are taking advantage of that fact. Do yourself a HUGE favor and read the "New to Leasing?" thread on the Ask-a-Dealer page. Otherwise, you will overpay by thousands of dollars over the term of the lease. (You could be driving a 440 but making an M4 lease payment).

You should also read up on PCD (Performance Center Delivery). You can lease an M4 from ANY dealer, ANYWHERE in the country, and pick it up in Spartanburg. No offense, but you don't seem to know a whole lot about cars, so the stuff you will learn at Spartanburg could save your bacon.

2020 540i MSport
2017 330i Sport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 09-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
Albeit, I didn't read every sentence of every post. Two items to also consider:

1) 440 would be much better for long distance droning down interstate and interstate travel.
2) 4 door sedan, if you ever take more than a toddler for a ride, will be a life saver in convenience.

In our 2 person empty nest household we have:
1) 550i M-sport. For long distance drives, occasional guests, comfortable long distance cruising.
2) M4. For my sports car, so I could recapture my youth. It is a beast, and worth every penny I spent on it. It will do in a pinch for longer distance causing, etc. In the end, my wife stole it from me, as a primary vehicle, because she loves the silverstone exterior and does a lot of local driving, where she can enjoy the beastly features of the car.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I didn't read all of it either...but your friend warning about rwd- the 440 is isn't it? Not sure I read it right.

I personally always go for the model below the M series in any range. 650 M Sport, 435 M Sport. For daily driving I've found the M cars just that bit too on/off, there's no potter mode and it does feel a waste.

Also I find that the performance isn't real world useful so I high spec the car with the money I would have paid for an M.

I've found winter tyres really useful on rear wheel, remember they aren't just for snow, but you can get all season tires anyway and I wouldn't worry about a couple of days of driving carefully.

Whatever you do don't regret it. If you already have that 'I liked the 440 but...' question then get the M. You'll never be happy otherwise!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 435 'vert
I drove an '07 335 'vert for 7 years and my current '14 435 'vert for 3 years including winter with no major problems. I had/have separate winter wheels/tires for both. Unless it's a monster blizzard the roads get plowed here in the suburbs pretty quickly, so you're rarely driving in deep snow. Remember, if you're on ice AWD isn't gonna make much of a difference as far as stopping.
I even got winter wheels/tires for my son's Rogue because the winter rubber compound is more suited to cold weather.
I've wanted an ///M since around 2004 when it was still SMG as the "auto" trans version. Never went for an E93 M3. Now, after 3 years with the 435, my M4 just arrived in Baltimore this morning. On my test drive, the DCT seemed as smooth as Steptronic and the ride was pretty good too. I'll have more to report after I have some time with the M4, but it's gonna be my daily driver.
If you can test drive an M4, you might be surprised. But the 440 is a great car, too.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
If you're really thinking about choosing between a M4 and a 440i, then you should definitely stick to the latter.

OR:
Get a E90 M3, every time you set off and hear the throaty, metallic-sounding V8, itíll remind you that youíre driving a car that BMW dares not to make anymore and instead, currently muffles the sound with turbos and amplifies a fake exhaust note as if you wouldnít notice, but you so do.
Budget for a rod bearing replacement in the future, if it hasn't been done already.Having a shop do it could cost as much as $3000. Itís certainly possible to do it yourself, but novices need not apply.
Did I mention the tens of thousands of $ you'll be saving..?
Agree

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search