Engine Malfunction. Reduced power. - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
These things are finicky beasts when it comes to voltage - put a multi-stage smart/trickle charger on it to see if it can be recovered or just put a new batt in if time is of the essence

2012 E70 X5 N63 50i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i / 2011 E90 M3
Can anyone tell me the right size battery?

2012 BMW X5 35i

Auto zone shows 3 that will "fit"

H9-AGM size H9-LN9 950 CCA
H6-AGM size 48 760 CCA
H8-AGM size 49 900 CCA

Thanks in advance!!

Here's a listing from Rock Auto too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x5 batteries.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	894863  

Last edited by msan; 05-31-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I'm not sure. I haven't paid much attention.

Here is a good thread...

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...nt-diy-12.html

If you have a coding tool, (ie Battery reset/registration and size change) I would get a 95R size in the 105AH and code it appropriately.(Just a rough guess from 45 seconds of reading...)

Frankly, you will need to double check your coding anyway, no idea if it was every properly reset....

Finally, as stated above, these can be finicky. $200 for the battery to rule it out is probably not a bad idea. While I hate 'shotgunning parts', the batt **is** a maintenance item, so...

GL

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 05-31-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

Here is a good thread...

If you have a coding tool, (ie Battery reset/registration and size change) I would get a 95R size in the 105AH and code it appropriately.(Just a rough guess from 45 seconds of reading...)

Frankly, you will need to double check your coding anyway, no idea if it was every properly reset....

Finally, as stated above, these can be finicky. $200 for the battery to rule it out is probably not a bad idea. While I hate 'shotgunning parts', the batt **is** a maintenance item, so...

GL
OK last couple questions. The 95R H9 size is 1 and 9/16 inches longer than the H8 thats currently in the car. Does this mean the longer H9 will not fit in the battery well?

I have icarly , i think it has a module to register the new battery.

THANKS!
Old 06-01-2020, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp
Take a look where your battery is bolted own. You will see multiple sets of holes for the hold down bolts. More than one size will fit the car. I think you'll find a bolt hole just an inch and a half past the H8 that's in there now. That's the one for an H9.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
My new battery didn't fit perfect. I was going to drill new holes and put the bracket on, but never got around to it. As long as it fits the requirements, and you code it into the car, I wouldn't worry about the specific dimensions.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp
Make sure you hook up the vent tube and block the other side if the is a vent opening on both sides.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:17 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
Take a look where your battery is bolted own. You will see multiple sets of holes for the hold down bolts. More than one size will fit the car. I think you'll find a bolt hole just an inch and a half past the H8 that's in there now. That's the one for an H9.
Agree. May be multiple holes. Might have also changed with model years as well....

msan, give it a look.

e53 but similar idea...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW%20E53%20Empty%20Battery%20Compartment.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	894985  

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Last edited by ard; 06-01-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
Got it . I saw the extra hole on the right by another inch and a half. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2020, 04:58 PM

Carly tells me the current battery was registered at 72k miles, about 30k miles ago and probably 3+ years. it also shows the resting battery at 11.8V which seem slow to me. I have purchased a new battery from Pepboys for $169 installed. And will get it installed tomorrow morning. I'll let you guys know if it fixes the issue.

Champion AGM Battery, Group Size H9
Part#: H9-950CHAGM | SKU: 2071705

Height (in.) 7.5
Cranking Amps @ 32F 100
Terminal Type A
Width (in.) 6.94
Reserve Capacity (minutes) 190
Length (in.) 15.56
Group Size H9
Voltage 12
BCI # 95R
Weight (lbs) 65
Height (mm) 190
Length (mm) 395
Right Or Left Hand Positive Right
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0F 950
Width (mm) 176
Wet or Dry Wet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5316.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	894989  

Last edited by msan; 06-01-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

Here is a good thread...

GL
OK so on my way yo get the battery replaced car had problems and in addition to misfire in cylinder 5 (it had always been cylinder 5 with misfire) it was showing 5 & 6 were misfired.

So I got the new battery installed and on my home the car had the reduced power warning on a slight incline at low rpms, and limped home. Very sad.

First few warnings:
2EFE - Misfiring, several cylinders: recognized
2F03 - Misfiring, Cylinder 5 recognized
2EE0 - Misfiring, several cylinders: injection cut
2EF1 - Misfiring, Cylinder 5 injector shutdown

Today. Right before battery change:
2F04 - Misfiring, Cylinder 6 recognized
2EF4 - Misfiring, Cylinder 6 injection cut [I incorrectly typed 5 before, it was cylinder 6]

Today. After battery change (showed new never seen codes):
2EE1 - Misfiring, several cylinders: exhaust harmful
2EE2 - Misfiring, several cylinders: exhaust harmful to start up

Back to the drawing board....

I should mention about 700 miles ago I replaced the furl tank breather valve myself but did not have any problems after that repair. Also don't know it matters but I've been on the same tank of gas for a month or two now...

Last edited by msan; 06-02-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive50i
Is the one cylinder 6 code a misprint or is that the only one that is cylinder 6 and the rest are cylinder 5?

If you are getting misfires from 6 & 5 I would suggest the following.
Move the plugs and coils from 5 & 6 to 7 & 8 and see if the problem moves or stays within 5 & 6. If the problem moves its either plugs and/or coils; if it doesn't the hunt continues.

When you make those swaps you'll need to ensure you fully seat the coil on top of the plug. For the swap you'll need a 14mm, 12 point, sparkplug socket (o'rileys has a very nice one for like $7 that's magnetic) and you'll want to torque them per spec (17ft/lb for the bosch plugs I believe).

Seeing multiple cyclinder on the same bank is a bit of a puzzler in that one would kind of assume it could be a bank specific issue (air mass sensor / oxygen sensor / etc) but since you only have a single #6 code I'd start with plug / coil change.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
Is the one cylinder 6 code a misprint or is that the only one that is cylinder 6 and the rest are cylinder 5?

If you are getting misfires from 6 & 5 I would suggest the following.
Move the plugs and coils from 5 & 6 to 7 & 8 and see if the problem moves or stays within 5 & 6. If the problem moves its either plugs and/or coils; if it doesn't the hunt continues.

When you make those swaps you'll need to ensure you fully seat the coil on top of the plug. For the swap you'll need a 14mm, 12 point, sparkplug socket (o'rileys has a very nice one for like $7 that's magnetic) and you'll want to torque them per spec (17ft/lb for the bosch plugs I believe).

Seeing multiple cyclinder on the same bank is a bit of a puzzler in that one would kind of assume it could be a bank specific issue (air mass sensor / oxygen sensor / etc) but since you only have a single #6 code I'd start with plug / coil change.
I should point out I have a 6 cylinder 35i gas engine.

It used to be only cylinder 5 error codes. Then right before going to get the battery changed I saw the errors for cylinder 6 too....

I must say the car triggers this limp mode much easier and earlier than before...its feeling like its getting worse whatever it is...

Last edited by msan; 06-02-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto:
Engine Malfunction. Reduced power.

Hmm interesting try new gas (high ron) could be that the fuel trims were reset causing lean condition. Have you got a maf sensor on that engine? Try cleaning it carefully if yoh do - my 50i N63 was pinging under load until I cleaned the 2 maf sensors and now she runs much better....
Check fuel trims too - it can point in one direction or other even if it hasnt tripped a code. Iím a bit suspicious of a vacuum leak....or cyl 6 spark/coil

2012 E70 X5 N63 50i

Last edited by B4_685; 06-02-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:40 PM

OK my next course of action is to order some spark plugs and replace them. I will also try and move the coils from #5 and #6 to #1 and #2. So if I still have issues even with new plugs I can at least see if the problems move with the coils.

I am assuming cylinders 5 and 6 are the two closest to the cabin, furthest from the front bumper correct?

Also these are the spark plugs I'm ordering....https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ch-12120037580

I am not planning to re-gap them.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
OK so on my way yo get the battery replaced car had problems and in addition to misfire in cylinder 5 (it had always been cylinder 5 with misfire) it was showing 5 & 6 were misfired.

So I got the new battery installed and on my home the car had the reduced power warning on a slight incline at low rpms, and limped home. Very sad.

First few warnings:

Today. Right before battery change:
2F04 - Misfiring, Cylinder 6 recognized
2EF4 - Misfiring, Cylinder 6 injection cut [I incorrectly typed 5 before, it was cylinder 6]

Today. After battery change (showed new never seen codes):
2EE1 - Misfiring, several cylinders: exhaust harmful
2EE2 - Misfiring, several cylinders: exhaust harmful to start up

Back to the drawing board....

I should mention about 700 miles ago I replaced the furl tank breather valve myself but did not have any problems after that repair. Also don't know it matters but I've been on the same tank of gas for a month or two now...
Any chance any of the fuel pump hoses are damaged? Inside the tank, in the fuel pump assembly?

you can change the plugs, but this just doesnt feel like a spark issue. Feels like fuel delivery.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

fwiw
Quote:
If you are having misfires in 3 or more cylinders:

If the misfire happened at a high RPM, I have noticed that the misfire detection algorithm can sometimes incorrectly detect a multiple misfire condition. I would recommend clearing the codes once and see if you can reproduce to confirm that the misfire really is occurring on multiple cylinders.
If the misfire is occurring on cylinders of the same bank (1-4, 5-8), you most likely have an issue with the high pressure fueling system of that bank. If there are no fuel pressure codes stored, the high fuel pressure sensor of that bank is suspect. If low rail pressure codes are store, the HPFP of that bank has likely failed.
If the misfire is occurring all over the engine, you should examine the low pressure fuel system. If no fuel pressure codes are store, the low pressure fuel sensor has most likely failed. If both rail pressure codes are store or a low pressure fuel system code is stored, then likely the low pressure fuel pump has failed
https://mattprovenzale.com/forums/to...unction-guide/

Old 06-03-2020, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport

Just for some input. Mine is the V8. When my spark plugs became out of spec due to age/use I had fault codes for multiple misfires, multiple ignition coils, and catalytic converters faults. I only had a misfire from a stop with moderate acceleration. No issues on the highway. My issue was only plugs but I do also see a possible issue for you with fuel delivery. Maybe this helps but maybe it doesnít. My coils are original with no issues at 172,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by BabyUnicornTaco; 06-03-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:25 AM

Let me know if this plan is ok.

I got the sparks plugs today, I plan to get in there and change out all the spark plugs and switch cylinder 5 coil with cylinder 1 (easier to reach in case it is the coil that's the problem). Then try the car again. If that doesn't work I will take it to my shop. But at least I've take care of the cheap stuff first (new battery and new spark plugs) and let them deal with trouble shooting. I assume my avenues to health will be either fuel HPFP, injector or maybe a vacuum leak? I will point out to then I did change out the fuel breather valve and the coolant expansion tank a few months back. Let me know your thoughts.

Newb question, but I am assuming cylinder 5 is the 2nd cylinder counting from the firewall towards the front bumper...

Thanks guys!

Last edited by msan; 06-05-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Cylinders are 1-6 front to back so yes. I would see what just the plugs do without moving coils yet but it doesnít matter much. If you were to move the coil before running the engine again you could mistake an incorrectly installed plug for a bad coil.

Last edited by BabyUnicornTaco; 06-05-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive50i
#6 is against the firewall, #1 is against the radiator
Old 06-05-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
Cylinders are 1-6 front to back so yes. I would see what just the plugs do without moving coils yet but it doesnít matter much. If you were to move the coil before running the engine again you could mistake an incorrectly installed plug for a bad coil.

OK I won't move coil positions
Old 06-05-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
OK I won't move coil positions

I used a sharpie to number my coils when I put them to the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-05-2020, 02:15 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

you should pay attention to the FIRING ORDER when swapping positions. Moving from one TO THE NEXT FIRING POSITION is not a great idea as it can tend to still indicate that cyl.

IN FACT, I had a coil go bad, moved it around w no change. So I went to the cyl that was the one before the indicated error, moved that...THAT was the bad one. Right? (Its because of how th DME detects misfires..)

Old 06-05-2020, 04:02 PM

Not my week. Just realized my spark plug socket from the e90 m3 doesn't work with N55 engine. Ordered a 14mm 12 pt thin wall socket from amazon. Will have to wait until Sunday.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search