2013 E70 With only 40k miles good deal? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:46 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Having said all this.... anyone look at the car fax report?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
I think it all depends. Carfax/Autocheck/etc would most likely show a history containing that flood damage since an original owner would NOT want to cover the costs to bring back a flood car on their own as to not report to insurance. My opinion.

I know of a few cars that are driven less than 2500 miles a year and one of them is my father in law with his 2009 Corolla. It happens. Albeit rarely, but it does.
Those cars usually don't come to dealers showrooms. They are handed/sold over to friends and family

My wife drives a 3 year old Mercedes GLC300, with only 5k miles. It was her aunty's car who only used it for groceries.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:57 AM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
The biggest redflag is the 40k miles on a 7 year old car.

Either a genuine snowbird car or flooded car sitting in some warehouse for last 3 years after Hurricane Florence and Erma.

Rustbelt is rusts only under surface, flooding rots the car from inside out

I would never take a risk with any Florida Cars. Especially BMW where you spend an arm and leg for most problems. Hyundai and Kia , OK , Luxury cars , NO.

https://www.vinfreecheck.com/salvage-check

Why is it suspicious that the car has only 40,000 miles in seven years? That would be about 12,000 miles more than my car gets driven based on average annual mileage. Many of my friends and neighbors are the same way.

Itís funny, I borrowed a friends pick up truck this week, a Ď13 F150 - it has 39,000 miles. The only thing I suspect about it is heís probably never ever washed it since he bought it... there are many examples like this all over the United States. People sometimes donít need to drive long-distances.

Why does it have to be a flood car? Why does it have to be a Snowbird car? Why canít you simply be a car from a person who drives 6k miles per year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: Invisible BMW E70
Wow this is great info guys. I will try calling the service department, and see if they can give me some info over the phone and confirm mileage. I work from home myself, and don't really drive much so I can understand the low mileage if it's legit. If I purchased that BMW new, I would probably only have 15-20k on it by now lol.

This is a new listing I found with only 25k miles and it's a 2011 lol. Waiting for images to post. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=272643390

Appreciate all the help and advice guys. Much appreciated!

Last edited by BMWHoochie; 05-30-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: Tundra
My (wife's) 2013 diesel has less than 25K miles. Its a grocery getter and I have to purposely take it to work every two weeks to get some long distance runs on it. Not for sale just yet, but hopefully soon.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
Why is it suspicious that the car has only 40,000 miles in seven years? That would be about 12,000 miles more than my car gets driven based on average annual mileage. Many of my friends and neighbors are the same way.

Itís funny, I borrowed a friends pick up truck this week, a Ď13 F150 - it has 39,000 miles. The only thing I suspect about it is heís probably never ever washed it since he bought it... there are many examples like this all over the United States. People sometimes donít need to drive long-distances.

Why does it have to be a flood car? Why does it have to be a Snowbird car? Why canít you simply be a car from a person who drives 6k miles per year?

There are many many low mileage vehicles. MY wife's GLC 300 is only 7k miles over 4 years of just grocery runs.

But any car for sale with very low mileage is always a suspect and you have to do a thorough PPI

It is not rocket science.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHoochie View Post
Wow this is great info guys. I will try calling the service department, and see if they can give me some info over the phone and confirm mileage. I work from home myself, and don't really drive much so I can understand the low mileage if it's legit. If I purchased that BMW new, I would probably only have 15-20k on it by now lol.

This is a new listing I found with only 25k miles and it's a 2011 lol. Waiting for images to post. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=272643390

Appreciate all the help and advice guys. Much appreciated!
That is a official Mercedes dealer. I would go and grab that car ASAP. I am flying out on Monday

Old 05-30-2020, 08:10 PM
What was that?

Quote:
There are many many low mileage vehicles. MY wife's GLC 300 is only 7k miles over 4 years of just grocery runs.

But any car for sale with very low mileage is always a suspect and you have to do a thorough PPI

It is not rocket science.

Oh, I agree entirely on PPI on anything older than 5 years or worth over $30k.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: Invisible BMW E70
From the looks of it the dealer specializes in only low mileage vehicles. They have a 2004 Dodge Ram with only 128 miles. Even has a 98 Lotus with 10k miles. Pretty interesting niche for a dealer. Some of the recently sold listings were pretty cool to check out. https://www.naplesautocollection.com...6c392709d32535

I have done a lot of research on the owner, and his other businesses. He is legit. Heck I even know where he lives now lol. Super nice house btw lol. I will let you guys know what I do in the end. Again, appreciate everything!

Last edited by BMWHoochie; 05-31-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:56 PM
What was that?

Quote:
From the looks of it the dealer specializes in only low mileage vehicles. They have a 2004 Dodge Ram with only 128 miles. Even has a 98 Lotus with 10k miles. Pretty interesting niche for a dealer. Some of the recently sold listings were pretty cool to check out. https://www.naplesautocollection.com...6c392709d32535

I have done a lot of research on the owner, and his other businesses. He is legit. Heck I even know where he lives now lol. Super nice house btw lol. I will let you guys know what I do in the end. Again, appreciate everything!

Good deal. Just make sure you do the PPI - it can find stuff youíre bound to have to fix sooner than later... Good Luck!

Old 06-01-2020, 05:02 AM

They have a 2004 Dodge Ram with only 128 miles.

Guy is getting cars from Antique Car Museum.

Maybe you will find a Ford-Model T with 0 miles

Last edited by Gary214; 06-01-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I am looking to purchase an E70 under 80k miles. I found one that is in immaculate condition with only 40k miles and the dealer wants 17k. Do you think this is a good deal, or do I have some wiggle room to get them down on the price? The service history is perfect.

Appreciate your time, and any help or advice you can offer.
I will tell you I bought what I thought was a pristine E70 from a major national auto retailer with only 25K on the clock. Nothing on Carfax, turn out it was a rental from Hawaii (hence the low miles), car had a complete respray and a bad one at that. Had a horrible moldy odor, leaves and mud in the fender wells. The car had clearly been left out in the elements for long periods of time. Low mileage doesn't mean jack. You need to give the vehicle a thorough in person inspection and PPI.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Don't forget that the early N55 was problematic unlike the last production model engines.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

over the many years Ive been involved with online expensive car forums, porsche, ferrari, BMW, the worst 'offenders' are those 'high end specialty car stores' that scream "we are super successful and dont need to rip you off". There is a psychology to this marketing as well.... people will feel 'cheap' if they try to negotiate with rich people. They also figure shiny building must mean nice car. It reduces their guard.

Go there. Get a PPI.

Its about the same cost as shipping it.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 06-02-2020, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 sDrive28i
Quote:

The site has it as sale pending. Did you buy it?
Old 06-02-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
over the many years Ive been involved with online expensive car forums, porsche, ferrari, BMW, the worst 'offenders' are those 'high end specialty car stores' that scream "we are super successful and dont need to rip you off". There is a psychology to this marketing as well.... people will feel 'cheap' if they try to negotiate with rich people. They also figure shiny building must mean nice car. It reduces their guard.

Go there. Get a PPI.

Its about the same cost as shipping it.
The buyers do not understand that these "boutique" car dealers are usually owned by the local mafia.

Shiny building, highly Valeted polished cars with black painted tires can be some of dodgiest vehicles sold.

Stolen cars, salvaged cars,flooded cars, imported gray market used cars, everything is fair game.

A $500 Valet can make any car look brand new.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:04 PM
NJFRANK

Mein Auto: 650i, X5
Quote:
Those seats are a deal breaker for me, even with that low mileage. It is a nice combination though and if it checks YOUR boxes get a PPI done.
I don't get that interior either - me trying to keep that clean would be the 6th ring of Dante's inferno. But if it turns you on, go for it. I think you can get a newer model for about the same price, though. I'm told my '15 X5 with 60K is worth about 17K retail. Something to think about, the nav and entertainment systems have evolved.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
Either have the local BMW dealer inspect it, or a qualified BMW Indi prior to purchase. It will cost you $100+/- but money well invested.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:45 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

FWIW... a "PPI" isn't a defined thing. A bmw dealer or an Indy typically has their own definition of what a PPI is. So...it is therefore incumbent on the buyer to define what is in THEIR ppi.

I usually suggest that they do the standard BMW CPO checklist- in writing- using the BMW CPO criteria. I add dumping the DME for any errors, check mileages. Plus any maintenance history you can find (some dealers may, some dont). In particular I want the shop to look for any body work or poor repairs. I may buy a car w repairs, but need to know what was done.

GL

Old 06-03-2020, 02:57 AM
CarSwami

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Convertible
Quote:
The biggest redflag is the 40k miles on a 7 year old car.

Either a genuine snowbird car or flooded car sitting in some warehouse for last 3 years after Hurricane Florence and Erma.

Rustbelt is rusts only under surface, flooding rots the car from inside out

I would never take a risk with any Florida Cars. Especially BMW where you spend an arm and leg for most problems. Hyundai and Kia , OK , Luxury cars , NO.

https://www.vinfreecheck.com/salvage-check
Quote:
I know of a few cars that are driven less than 2500 miles a year and one of them is my father in law with his 2009 Corolla. It happens. Albeit rarely, but it does.
I bought my 335i new doing an ED in 2007. I only have about 70K miles on the car because it has never been my primary vehicle. So low mileage cars are not all scams. As Nyc Dito says, it can happen! Just my 2 cents worth.

CarSwami
Old 06-03-2020, 04:39 AM

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...zv4c50d0b08133

Interesting Carfax

Vehicle sold dates do not match number of owners declared.

Last sold 2 months ago

Maybe FBI can investigate LOL
Old 06-03-2020, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 coupe
Buyer Beware !

Car fax is worthless !!!! All they do is repeat what has been reported on service / ownership records ! My son recently purchased a 2015 M4 with 10k miles on the odometer that looked mint. I even asked the ( Porsche dealership ) that we wanted a " clean bill of health " from the local BMW dealership and those records prior to purchase. It turns out that this vehicle had been leased to a tuner shop in Philly which used it for setting drag racing records, we found the videos on youtube !! Not aware of this, we purchased the vehicle and with a couple hundred miles the transmission went. We took it to our local BMW dealership which reported many after market " affects and modifications " in addition to " many over the limit rev's. The prognosis was that the transmission needed to be replace and, due to all the over rev's plus a recorded 100+ burn outs, there was indication of possible engine damage. Quote for transmission replacement was 20K !
We ultimately had to sue the dealership to get them to take the care back. Long story short, ask them to allow you to take the vehicle to your local trusted BMW dealer and them them to a history check that is recorded on the vehicle key fob. Don't trust any dealership !!!!
Old 06-03-2020, 07:07 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgonza1 View Post
Car fax is worthless !!!! All they do is repeat what has been reported on service / ownership records !
That is not true, that they repeat what is reported on service records.

I got a useless CarFax. After I took possession of my three year old CPO I requested and got the BMW service status. As I recall it was three full pages of itemized listing of service and warranty repairs and replacements. It was reasonably valuable and informative, certainly compared to the scam CarFax.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:37 AM

Most dealerships and body shops know how to go around the Carfax reporting.
Its purely voluntary to report any repairs and servicing and accidents.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 coupe
Doug,
I am glad things worked out well for you, I am only sharing my personal experience. In my case, since all the motifications made to my previous car were not through a dealership that would report these changes / mods, they would not appear on a car fax report. That being the case, the car fax report I received was totally worthless. If you read car faxs' disclaimer, they will not guarantee anything that was NOT reported to them. Again, I am happy for you that it worked out well for you but I would venture to say that there are many more bad experiences with car fax reporting then success stories like yours.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search