Door leaking when it rains - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
Door leaking when it rains

Hey guys,
Is anyone else having a leaking issue from the the passenger side back door? Every time it rain and my car is outside, I notice the carpet on the right back seat is soaking wet. Any idea what the cause of this is? Have anyone else have this problem? Help please I don't want this to lead to more problems!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550I
I just noticed the floor was very wet yesterday afternoon after washing the car on Saturday. Same place, rear passenger floor. Hopefully someone will have an answer for us both.
Good luck,
Brinson Webb
Old 11-09-2015, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Usually its a broken vapor barrier seal inside the door. A good way to test it is to tape up the openings between the door frame and the glass and hose the door down then check for water inside the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i M-Sport
Mine was a sunroof drain fixed under warranty.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: F10 530d
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Usually its a broken vapor barrier seal inside the door. A good way to test it is to tape up the openings between the door frame and the glass and hose the door down then check for water inside the car.
This was a huge issue back in the days of the E39. How on earth is this STILL happening, do BMW not learn from classic issues with older models?!
Old 11-09-2015, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
I noticed both rear floor mats were wet a few months back after a very heavy rainstorm when my car as parked all day outside. I ended up going to the dealer and they replaced both seals around the rear doors under warranty. One was definitely bad and they just replaced the other as well to be safe. Car had a funky musty smell for a few days that went away after airing it out.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:23 PM

I wonder how much will it cost to replace the door seal when the vehicle is out of warranty
Old 11-10-2015, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes550i View Post
I wonder how much will it cost to replace the door seal when the vehicle is out of warranty
Before you replace anything, you should really find out what the cause is first.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Just replaced mine. 2 hours labor and a 42$ part.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport 6sp MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankp03 View Post
Just replaced mine. 2 hours labor and a 42$ part.
Can you provide more details of where you found the water (what side and front or rear) and what was done to repair it?

Last edited by JeffDunes; 12-13-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F11 520d M Sport
I have an issue with my 2011 F11 and the rear passenger door letting water in. the carpet in the rear passenger footwell was soaked. All the sponge underneath the carpet had soaked up around a litre or more of water!! there was nothing in the front or driver side footwells, but I think this is because of the bulkheads trapping water in the back..

I checked the vapour barrier and in some places it had come away from the door, so I sealed it up again.. It's so cold i'm still waiting for it to dry out so not sure if there are still any leaks.. I've read it can be the vapour barrier, door seals or trim clip holes.. more investigation required...

depending on how bad your's is, it's worth removing the passenger front seat, rear seats and then pulling the carpet up.. it's amazing just how much foam there is under the carpet and how much water it can soak up..
Old 01-05-2016, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i msport
Dealer charged me $650 for vapor barrier

I also was getting rain water on the left rear passenger floorboard. I suspected the vapor barrier, since I had the same issue with my e39. I made the mistake of taking it to the dealer, and even though I told them to check the vapor barrier first (I did not want to pay labor for them checking the drains first), they still charged me $650 to replace the vapor barrier, $150 parts + labor. It was not covered by my CPO warranty, which I knew ahead of time. So, the moral of the story is, take it to an independent.
2003 540i msport
1997 540i sport
Old 01-05-2016, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Left my car out in today's rainstorm and had the same problem that my local dealership said they fixed. Soaked floor mat on the rear passenger side. Heading back tomorrow morning to see what exactly they "fixed".....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2016, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto:
My f10 2012 520d soaked in drivers side footwell. Any suggestions would be gratefully received..
Old 03-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 F90 M5|2006 E60 550i
My right-rear passenger door gets full of water itís rather from rain, car wash etc... It never gets the interior wet, luckily. Iíve removed te plug at the bottom of the door and have to open the door each time to drain out the water. Iíve taped all of the areas that water could possibly come from (2 separate times with different types of tape as a test) and water still somehow gets in the door. Iíve had this issue for a few years now. So, Iíve searched the web for answers and canít find anything thatís helpful. The barrier seals all look in great shape and to note again, I get have no interior leaking; its just inside the door itself. Any good info/suggestions would be helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:37 PM
BimmerFreak

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive Msport Pkg
Quote:

Both of the vapor barrier seals in my car were bad, and the water kept coming in. Took the car into a dealer who said it will cost about 3K to fix. Called my insurance and got it to pay for the damage under Comprehensive, which covered flood.
In the process, the subwoofer was also damaged due to water, which was also covered.
All in all, the final came to $5232

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-26-2019, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: '11 F10 535xi
Water getting into the door is normal. It comes down the glass and gets in. Water is "supposed" to be inside of the door. It is not supposed to come inside of the car. It's also supposed to be able to get out. I have not studied the bottom of my F10 doors, but will the next time I'm able. I recall the bottom of my E39 doors quite well. Same principles.

Check for slots in the bottom at the front and rear - they should be clear and unblocked. You may have debris blocking the drain. Or a rubber seal on the body out of place and blocking the drain slots.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:13 PM

I had the same issue about a year ago. Did some research and found out that the door panel has some type of RTV or silicone Adhesive that bonds the door panel to the door. When I took my door panel apart, I realize that the bottom of the door, the silicone adhesive has detached from the door. I reapplied Same RTV/silicone adhesive I reattach the panel back to the door. Since I did that I have not experience the water leak in the rear passenger floor of my vehicle.

I guess the water was passing through the door and coming into the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 03-27-2019, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: '11 F10 535xi
Quote:
I had the same issue about a year ago. Did some research and found out that the door panel has some type of RTV or silicone Adhesive that bonds the door panel to the door. When I took my door panel apart, I realize that the bottom of the door, the silicone adhesive has detached from the door. I reapplied Same RTV/silicone adhesive I reattach the panel back to the door. Since I did that I have not experience the water leak in the rear passenger floor of my vehicle.

I guess the water was passing through the door and coming into the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
The standard method to reattach the door liners is butyl tape. There are probably a couple of other things that could be used and be easier to work with. The substance needs to be tacky, stay soft and sticky, and be able to be removed (since that door liner needs to be peeled back to do any number of things inside the door - door latch replacement, window regulator, etc... RTV/silicone isn't going to release or clean up well and the door liner might get destroyed trying to take it apart.

If you have no future need to remove it - you're good to go. I state the above as information for anyone contemplating the repair. Any door latch replacement DIY writeups walk through the procedure.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:13 PM

I found water in the right rear floorwell and then a while later on the left rear floorwell of my 535i. I pulled the door panels off and resealed the vaper barriers and have not had the problem since.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Bmw x5 4.8
Door Vapor barrier for sure. Had this issue in my old 328. Dealer insisted it was sunroof. they replaced all seals around the sunroof and water continued to leak thru the driver door especially at the car wash (high pressure). Took it back. they fixed the door at no charge since they charged me for the sunroof and it wasn't that! I taught them a lesson for not listening to me in the first place. I clearly said water seeping from the side of the door...

Old 03-30-2019, 03:07 AM

Mein Auto: F10 525d
I had the identical problem with the rear passenger door on my 2010 525d. Removed the door card and trim and found that the inner seal had lifted away from the door at the bottom corner (front). I could see that water was running down from the window, inside the door and draining out through the lifted seal rather than down to the drain at the base of the door.

Tell-tale sign as well as the damp carpet in the footwell was bad musty smell in the car and deluge from the door when opened.

I fixed it using silicon sealant to reseat the lifted membrane and I lashed it all around the edges to ensure it didn't lift anywhere else. It did the trick and solved the problem.

I left the carpets to dry naturally - took about a month but all good now.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCARP1 View Post
I had the identical problem with the rear passenger door on my 2010 525d. Removed the door card and trim and found that the inner seal had lifted away from the door at the bottom corner (front). I could see that water was running down from the window, inside the door and draining out through the lifted seal rather than down to the drain at the base of the door.

Tell-tale sign as well as the damp carpet in the footwell was bad musty smell in the car and deluge from the door when opened.

I fixed it using silicon sealant to reseat the lifted membrane and I lashed it all around the edges to ensure it didn't lift anywhere else. It did the trick and solved the problem.

I left the carpets to dry naturally - took about a month but all good now.
It is best to dry the carpets immediately to reduce the possibility of mold and mildew on the carpet and corrossion on the floor pan below. When my carpet got wet I used old towels to soak up as much moisture as possible and then I used a hair dryer to get it completely dry.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Vapor Seal was my fix

I had to replace my vapor seal when water was leaking on the rear driver side carpet. about $400 to fix at dealer out of warranty on my 2015 535xi. Was too lazy to shop it around to an indy shop.

2015 535xi | Dark Graphite Metallic / Ivory White Nappa | M-Sport, Premium, Driver Assistance, Cold, HK, Sports Trans
Old 05-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: Miata, Tracker
Leaky Bimmers

Well first it was the pano drain, fixed that some time ago.
Then the rear doors started leaking water on the floors. Did a "fix" using RTV and it lasted about 6 months. Just started again, this time I took the panels right off and did the hose test, damn, the water was pouring out of the top right corner of the vapour barrier, it had come loose there and a couple other places.
This time I used Permatex Adhesive and Sealant and went around both vapour barriers. I lifted the edge of the VB and laid the adhesive in there, gently patted it down then went around the outside edge. Let it set over night and did the water test with the panels off, no leaks today. We'll be keeping an eye on it

Last edited by Cardiac; 05-09-2019 at 09:31 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search