Lemon Law Buyback EXTREME - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:12 PM
Zach8131 Zach8131 is offline
Registered User
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: F02 740LXi, F10 528i
Lemon Law Buyback EXTREME

Hey everyone, my first post here. I'm really active with MBWorld forums, but I made the switch last year and bought 2 BMW's 2012 F10 528i and a 2013 F02 740Li X-Drive.

Ok here's what happened. My vehicle was affected by the F10 in-tank fuel pump recall. The car died in the middle of the road, and fortunately there was a police officer a few cars behind me to keep the traffic flowing and prevent me from getting hit until the tow truck got there.

Took the car to the dealer, and everything was dandy. Called BMW USA and they said my vin number was not included in the recall. They were trying to save a few bucks when they issued our car's recall. Asked for customer service to investigate and a few weeks later they denied me again. Talked with their supervisor, denied. Called the executive support team. Two more weeks, denied again. After 5 weeks, I called the dealer and paid out of pocket. $1,017.22. I picked up the car last Thursday and drove it home where it sat until Saturday when my fiancée filled the tank and drove to work. After about 10 miles, the fuel pump died on the freeway! In CA the 5 freeway is the scariest around! No steering, no acceleration.. car is dead, she got into an accident because the car behind her didn't know she had stalled, and slammed into her bumper. Didn't stop though, she barely was able to make it into the shoulder lane off the momentum of the vehicle.

What if we had been making a high speed turn when the car died? In an intersection? Crossing the train tracks? Freeway with no emergency lane?

Guess what? After putting a post to their FB page on Saturday... come Monday morning NOW corporate wants to talk with me. Now they want to help me. Now they offer to make the car payments while the vehicle is with them. BMWUSA is sending engineers from Germany to tear the car apart and find out what is wrong. The shop foreman said the computer of the car is essentially shot. Not to mention all the other problems the car has had. Radiator, turbos died because of programming, headlamps, self-parking, parking sensors, etc. all faulty. This car has never seen any shop except a BMW dealer also...

Anyway, if you have survived this far into reading my story... what should I expect from them? I know they buy cars back a lot that are lemons, but this is extreme. Not honoring a recall, and having the vehicle get into an accident because of their failure of a pump design.

The lady at headquarters in New Jersey is incredibly helpful and being very nice. Putting me in a brand new 540i loaner for the foreseeable future, making the car payments, refunding my $500 deposit I had on another 740 that I wanted to trade my lemon 528 in for, but could no longer do, paying for my tows, etc.

She says that corporate personnel have a lot of "latitude" and that she will do absolutely anything for me *within reason* (whatever that means).

What do you guys think will happen? What should I ask for?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-26-2017, 04:43 AM
550iFreak 550iFreak is offline
Registered User
Location: Deltona FL
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550i 6MT
WOW........

Well first things first, is your fiance well? She isn't hurt from the accident? Cars can be definitely replaced but not people. Hope she has a good recovery and no future unseen injuries because something like that can affect you in the future depending on how hard she was hit.

Second, you definitely got some leverage here. You comply with the recall, took necessary actions to get it done. BMW refused due to a VIN check. You did every action possible to prevent something like that to happen, even paying out of pocket at the dealer for a brand new pump which also failed at the worst time possible causing a danger to life.

You'll be an IDIOT for not fighting this lol..... better get compensated well. I expect at least a new"er"car, medical and whatnot. Don't let this go until your needs are met. Make sure you have all documents and phone calls posted so you can fight this to court if necessary. Write a letter to D.O.T. about it, so they can send out a bulletin to cover more VIN numbered cars that may potentially be affected.

Since BMW found more issues with your car, that car may not be useable anymore....so you'll be getting a different car.

Question: The BMW was bought at a certified BMW dealership or equilavent or a 3rd party dealer( like a mom and pop or those small pay here, drive out deals)?

Good luck sir, but you got some bite here.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-26-2017, 05:19 AM
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Banned
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10,015
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8131 View Post
....made the switch last year and bought 2 BMW's 2012 F10 528i and a 2013 F02 740Li X-Drive.

Lemon Law Buyback EXTREME -- what's the situation, re: the lemon law?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-26-2017, 05:51 AM
jjrandorin jjrandorin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8,857
Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
I read a bunch of frustration from OP (warranted because of the scary situation), but there are some huge assumptions by OP too. The OP is stating that his car was "affected by the recall" but BMW says his vin was not included in the recall. BMW would likely have proof of this (different part numbers etc), there is some reason they said the car was not affected by the recall.

The OPs fiance' issue sounds like a problem from incorrect repair (or, if they replaced the fuel pump and it happened again, there is something else going on there, thus not "affected by the fuel pump recall". OP probably doesnt want to hear this, but OP should not be "adversarial" with BMW in my opinion. That would be hard, especially if your fiance got in an accident.

If it were ME, there is no way I would drive that car again, NOR expect my fiance to ever get in that car again.. she would NEVER trust it. I would ask her if she would ever feel comfortable driving a BMW again, and if the answer was "yes, just not that one" I would tell them to give me a trade assist for it, and get a different (NON 7 series) BMW. Maybe she wants an X5 (not the 8 cylinder).?
__________________

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-26-2017, 05:56 AM
samadkins29's Avatar
samadkins29 samadkins29 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,835
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
The recall is for production through June 2011 (for the 2012 year). If your car was produced after that, then its not part of the recall.

When you say "other issues", was this previous repairs you did last year? This could have been a faulty ECU the entire time.
__________________
2011 535i
2003 745li (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Zach8131 Zach8131 is offline
Registered User
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: F02 740LXi, F10 528i
To everyone concerned that my vin was excluded from a recall for a reason, the service advisor told me that the fuel pump was the exact same model, part number and brand as the one from the recall.

The control module for the fuel pump (both now) have had the same corrosion as the recall suggests, but now also the ECU is faulty.

We are the third owner of the vehicle. Purchased in August 2016 from Carmax with 40,000 miles on the clock. The vehicle still had the factory warranty on it when we bought it and was also a certified pre owned car. BMW USA customer service actually gave me false information before I even bought the car. I called in to ask about the prepaid service and CPO warranty. BMW informed me that the warranty follows the car but the service follows the owner. Because it was a CPO, I declined to buy any additional warranties at the time of purchase. When the first disaster hit (the radiator and turbos) I learned that I was misinformed by BMW USA. I could keep the prepaid maintenance, but not the warranty and I was SOL.

Last edited by Zach8131; 05-26-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-26-2017, 11:20 AM
jjrandorin jjrandorin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8,857
Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8131 View Post
To everyone concerned that my vin was excluded from a recall for a reason, the service advisor told me that the fuel pump was the exact same model, part number and brand as the one from the recall.

The control module for the fuel pump (both now) have had the same corrosion as the recall suggests, but now also the ECU is faulty.

We are the third owner of the vehicle. Purchased in August 2016 from Carmax with 40,000 miles on the clock. The vehicle still had the factory warranty on it when we bought it and was also a certified pre owned car. BMW USA customer service actually gave me false information before I even bought the car. I called in to ask about the prepaid service and CPO warranty. BMW informed me that the warranty follows the car but the service follows the owner. Because it was a CPO, I declined to buy any additional warranties at the time of purchase. When the first disaster hit (the radiator and turbos) I learned that I was misinformed by BMW USA. I could keep the prepaid maintenance, but not the warranty and I was SOL.
Was not aware that carmax could sell a CPO... first I have heard of it. I have heard that they can sell a car that still has some manufacturer warranty left, but this is the first time someone has said ANYONE other than a BMW dealer can sell a "Certified Pre Owned" car (NOT CARMAX Certified warranty... which has nothing to do with BMW).

Anyway, I dont want to get into any arguments with you over what is a sensitive subject. I would just advise that you not take the tactic of "its bmws fault, I want my pound of flesh from them and I will sue if I dont get it".

Of course you need to do whatever you think is best, and I am really sorry to hear about the issue specifically as it relates to your loved one in an accident because of the car. As I mentioned, I would move heaven and earth to make sure she never had to get into that car again.
__________________

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-26-2017, 11:22 AM
nicknice91303 nicknice91303 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 964
Mein Auto: 07 525xi E60 N52 automati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8131 View Post
To everyone concerned that my vin was excluded from a recall for a reason, the service advisor told me that the fuel pump was the exact same model, part number and brand as the one from the recall.

The control module for the fuel pump (both now) have had the same corrosion as the recall suggests, but now also the ECU is faulty.

We are the third owner of the vehicle. Purchased in August 2016 from Carmax with 40,000 miles on the clock. The vehicle still had the factory warranty on it when we bought it and was also a certified pre owned car. BMW USA customer service actually gave me false information before I even bought the car. I called in to ask about the prepaid service and CPO warranty. BMW informed me that the warranty follows the car but the service follows the owner. Because it was a CPO, I declined to buy any additional warranties at the time of purchase. When the first disaster hit (the radiator and turbos) I learned that I was misinformed by BMW USA. I could keep the prepaid maintenance, but not the warranty and I was SOL.
Wow I hope she's ok from the highway accident. And I have a few questions in regard to this comment here that you where miss informed. I'm looking to purchase a newer bmw 2014 2015 535i and If it comes with some sort of CPO of warranty I want it to follow with my purchase. So what should I look out for and listen out for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-26-2017, 11:27 AM
samadkins29's Avatar
samadkins29 samadkins29 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,835
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8131 View Post
To everyone concerned that my vin was excluded from a recall for a reason, the service advisor told me that the fuel pump was the exact same model, part number and brand as the one from the recall.
That could very well be, but that doesn't mean it's under recall. It could be a manufacturing defect of one of the internal parts.
__________________
2011 535i
2003 745li (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Zach8131 Zach8131 is offline
Registered User
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: F02 740LXi, F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Was not aware that carmax could sell a CPO... first I have heard of it. I have heard that they can sell a car that still has some manufacturer warranty left, but this is the first time someone has said ANYONE other than a BMW dealer can sell a "Certified Pre Owned" car (NOT CARMAX Certified warranty... which has nothing to do with BMW.
The car was already a CPO car through the second owner. It has the CPO warranty on it when I bought it through carmax. I was mistakenly told by BMW USA that I would still be able to use that warranty.

To everyone else. If you're saying my vin was excluded for a reason..... 1) why did the very specific and exact problem in the recall happen to me with the corrosion of the fuel pump module. & 2) why did BMW already accept blame?

Thanks to everyone who is being helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:07 PM
samadkins29's Avatar
samadkins29 samadkins29 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,835
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8131 View Post
The car was already a CPO car through the second owner. It has the CPO warranty on it when I bought it through carmax. I was mistakenly told by BMW USA that I would still be able to use that warranty.

To everyone else. If you're saying my vin was excluded for a reason..... 1) why did the very specific and exact problem in the recall happen to me with the corrosion of the fuel pump module. & 2) why did BMW already accept blame?

Thanks to everyone who is being helpful.
You paid for it, that's hardly accepting blame. The recall is for shorting wires/melting connectors, not corrosion.

Now obviously something happened on the highway, of course BMW is going to do everything they can to avoid a lawsuit.
__________________
2011 535i
2003 745li (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-26-2017, 04:04 PM
ChiNorm ChiNorm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 225
Mein Auto: Volvo s60 awd
Were this to happen to me, I would consult an attorney. Let them do the haggling.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
accident, buyback, f10, fuel pump, lemon, lemon car, recall, replacement, repurchase


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.