Lease is nearing end! Torn between 2017 330i and A4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 Mazda6 Grand Touring
Lease is nearing end! Torn between 2017 330i and A4

For the last 6 years I have dreamed of owning a 3 Series. I just didnít feel established enough in my career/have my investments up and running enough yet to feel comfortable with taking the financial leap (even CPO).

- In 2017 I decided to lease a Mazda 6 Grand Touring instead of buying a 2014 CPO 3 Series. (I wanted Automatic Emergency Braking and CarPlay and the payments made sense...it was the prudent move at the time). Shortly after that I was laid off and got a new job that doubled my commute. While itís absolutely financially worthwhile to have the job, I am getting raked over the coals on my miles which is leading me to a decision Iím going to have to make I think sooner rather than later.

-Lease is up in August. But Iím projected to hit the point where my mile overage would be higher than the remaining payments around March. To me, that seems like the best time to make a decision. Leasing experts: is that the best time or should I be doing this earlier?

- Iím torn between the 330i xDrive w/ M-sport or an A4 Premium Plus or above. All the reviews say A4 all the way and I prefer the interior. But I have a soft spot for the 3er (or 430i GC) and Iíve heard the M-Sport package makes the car feel like a ďreal 3-SeriesĒ again. Also considering a 330 GT for the extra room.

What else do I need to know? Is one more expensive to insure than the other? Is an extended warranty a must? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto:
I just got rid of my A4 B9 for a 340i xDrive M-sport. I prefer the 340. Thereís a big difference in suspension I hated the body roll in the a4. The interior was nice especially the virtual cockpit but I wound take the m-sport seat any day! Iíd suggest taking the a4 out for a test drive then taking the 3 series out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2020, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
My suggestion is to forget brands. Do an extended test drive on each and let your heart make the decision. Otherwise you will forever have buyer's remorse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: Fast
FORGET BRANDS

The HELL you say man! Lol, 99% of BMW owners wouldn't own the car if it didnt have that logo!

Good advice....OP you've got to do research & test drives.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 Mazda6 Grand Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folgen Sie Mir View Post
FORGET BRANDS

The HELL you say man! Lol, 99% of BMW owners wouldn't own the car if it didnt have that logo!

Thatís the plan. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience test driving both. Is the M-Sport package worth it?

Does the higher ride height of the 330 GT kill the handling? Has the B46 engine been reliable? What about the B58 if I decide on a 340? All questions I have.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAmmo View Post
For the last 6 years I have dreamed of owning a 3 Series. I just didnít feel established enough in my career/have my investments up and running enough yet to feel comfortable with taking the financial leap (even CPO).

- In 2017 I decided to lease a Mazda 6 Grand Touring instead of buying a 2014 CPO 3 Series. (I wanted Automatic Emergency Braking and CarPlay and the payments made sense...it was the prudent move at the time). Shortly after that I was laid off and got a new job that doubled my commute. While itís absolutely financially worthwhile to have the job, I am getting raked over the coals on my miles which is leading me to a decision Iím going to have to make I think sooner rather than later.

-Lease is up in August. But Iím projected to hit the point where my mile overage would be higher than the remaining payments around March. To me, that seems like the best time to make a decision. Leasing experts: is that the best time or should I be doing this earlier?

- Iím torn between the 330i xDrive w/ M-sport or an A4 Premium Plus or above. All the reviews say A4 all the way and I prefer the interior. But I have a soft spot for the 3er (or 430i GC) and Iíve heard the M-Sport package makes the car feel like a ďreal 3-SeriesĒ again. Also considering a 330 GT for the extra room.

What else do I need to know? Is one more expensive to insure than the other? Is an extended warranty a must? Thanks in advance!
You need to check your lease termination options, because for most leases you will be making those payments one way or another if you exit early, unless there is some sort of lease pull ahead, which will not apply when switching brands.

So, you are waay to early to be looking at this, in my opinion. If you are planning on ordering a new BMW you should be looking around june of this year (2020).

Mileage overages are normally not the big cost that people think they are, because its about how much you would pay in depreciation anyway if you were buying the car.

6000 miles at .25c a mile is 1500. Its likely that exiting early would have you paying your last payments. If your payment is 400 a month, thats 4 months of payments, meaning that its cheaper to just pay the extra 6k miles than exit 6 months early.

You wanted advice on the leasing, my advice would be to sit down and do the math, find out what your lease end charges are, if its possible that your car is worth more than its residual value (in BMWs this is rare, no idea about your mazda, but unlikely), and go from there.

Leaving a lease early is almost always a losing money proposition, its just a matter of how much, and people have this fear of mileage overages but dont take into account that those final lease payments have to come from somewhere... either you, or a dealer, and dealers dont do deals that lose them money very often.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Old 01-05-2020, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: Diesel
Drive the cars you like and narrow your selection down to a few certain configurations. Give yourself 3 months or so of active searching to find the perfect car. Longer for unicorns and lazy searching, don't expect great results for lazy searching. Sounds like you're buying now instead of leasing? Find a 16-18 340 msport in your spec and be happy for a long time. Medium/Low mileage 18 probably best bet for value at the moment if you can hunt like a shark.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:05 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
If you are indeed looking at a 2017, know that the MSport is mostly a cosmetic kit on the xDrives (though the seat and steering wheel are very nice). The RWD 2017's got the sublime 704 MSport suspension, but the xDrives have the same suspension as a non-MSport BMW.

I'd still take the BMW over the Audi, but if handling is important to you, RWD is the way to go.

2017 540i MSport
2017 330i Sport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2016 428 GC MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-06-2020, 06:11 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
My suggestion is to forget brands. Do an extended test drive on each and let your heart make the decision. Otherwise you will forever have buyer's remorse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folgen Sie Mir View Post
FORGET BRANDS

I will echo both of these and say drive a lot of cars to see what you like. Forget the logo on the hood.

I had an Audi B9 A4 as a rental through Silver Car last year for a weekend. It was a Premium Plus with many of the Sportline options. I drove it all over the Rockies near my parents house in Denver and really enjoyed driving the car. I was quite impressed.

If you are going to get an AWD M Sport 3/4 series, be sure to get the adaptive suspension. Without it, the car will have the standard, softer suspension which I did not like at all. Without the ability to stiffen up the suspension, I found the AWD cars to bob and float far more than I like.

Honestly, if I was hunting for a AWD sedan for normal commute/travel duties and had another performance car to handle the "fun car" duties, the A4 would be my first choice. It had plenty of power, offered a very nice driving experience, and had a great interior.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Drop by and see what is new at my blog: The Car Geek
Old 01-06-2020, 08:31 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAmmo View Post
What else do I need to know?
Audi A4 received a design refresh (what BMW calls LCI) for 2020. In the U.S. market, the refreshed model should be available in spring of this year; it's been available in Europe since Fall 2019.

Details: https://www.motor1.com/news/349618/2...reshed-hybrid/

Old 01-06-2020, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Audi A4 received a design refresh (what BMW calls LCI) for 2020. In the U.S. market, the refreshed model should be available in spring of this year; it's been available in Europe since Fall 2019.

Details: https://www.motor1.com/news/349618/2...reshed-hybrid/

Be aware that this is a "mile hybrid", not a phev like the BMW 530e.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:33 PM
Kevin Goto

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
BMW has lost their way.
I think the regular sedans/SUVs have more of a luxury feel and look vs ones from <2010's. I did not like driving the 4cyl turbo in the loaner cars as it was noisy and constantly shifting. ( I'm talking about 100+ days of loaners from 2015-2018) I've moved on to Audi, not as tight as BMW in handling but I do not notice the 4 cyl turbo when I drive the A3. I usually drive my 08 335 and a 18 SQ5 weekends.

Skip the A4 and go S4 prestige
A pair of 17/18 Audi's
17 STI
Old 01-08-2020, 06:04 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibew595 View Post
BMW has lost their way.
I think the regular sedans/SUVs have more of a luxury feel and look vs ones from <2010's. I did not like driving the 4cyl turbo in the loaner cars as it was noisy and constantly shifting. ( I'm talking about 100+ days of loaners from 2015-2018) I've moved on to Audi, not as tight as BMW in handling but I do not notice the 4 cyl turbo when I drive the A3. I usually drive my 08 335 and a 18 SQ5 weekends.

I agree BMW is struggling with their identity, but I don't know if I agree on the luxury feel of their current line of products. The look nice and are still well built, but the quality of the materials isn't the same. Companies like Audi, Mercedes, and even Genesis have passed them up.

I'll also agree on the 4 cylinder engines. I was surprised how unrefined it was compared to other offerings on the market. As for handling if we're talking standard suspensions across the board on the AWD cars, I'd give the nod to the Audi. While the Audi is a bit softer and have a greater tendency towards understeer, it does not bob and float like the BMW. There is a more consistent, stable feel overall and I'd prefer the Audi for everyday driving duties.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Drop by and see what is new at my blog: The Car Geek
Old 01-08-2020, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto:
3 series all day, particularly a 340.

I had an A3 in 2016. The thing was a total lemon. Vibrated to no end. Audi fought it to no end. Eventually got rid of it and was able to get a 2018 340. That car was much better (even with the "softer" BMW suspension) than anything I had with Audi as loaners. The Audi interiors are not as nice as they appear in pictures. The materials feel straight out of a VW.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:09 PM
kid in a candy store

Mein Auto: 2016 340i 6MT
I hear 91% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Anyway, I'm not a frequent post-er, so it is what it is...

But I've owned my 2016 B58 340 M-Sport since Labor Day weekend of 2015 and I still love my car. The engine has been great and I have had no issues.

Some things to consider though (FYI):

- I have a sample size of 1
- I had one battery connector issue, but it was found to be an error with a service guy, and was taken care of a couple of years ago, and it hasn't been a problem since
- all of my other "issues" have just been tire related, but was more my environment (new construction homes all over the place) than anything else. No tire issues in the last couple of years since new construction has been completed

I was also deciding between an A4 and a 328i at the time. After driving and then pricing them both, I actually moved to deciding between the S4 and the 340i.

After driving them both back to back, had some pros and cons for both that didn't necessarily easily compare.

One of the major factors in my decision (among a few other things) was that the service department at my local Audi dealership had a terrible reputation while the local BMW dealership's service department had a great reputation. And they were only a mile apart (so both were the same distance from my home/work/etc.).

I was looking specifically for a 4-door manual transmission, so I wasn't really looking at too many options.

Not sure if this info is helpful, but here it is.

Good luck!
- ZDA (driver assistance pkg)
- ZDB (driver assistance plus)
- ZMP (M sport pkg)
- ZTR (track handling pkg)
- 21C (19" wheels, style 442M)
- 4FT (brushed aluminum w/ black gloss)
- ZTP (technology pkg)
- 494 (heated front seats)
- ZMT (manual transmission)
- Z09 (carbon fiber rear spoiler)
- Z06 (black kidney grills)

PAST CARS:
- 2000 Honda Civic coupe 5MT
- 2006 Acura TSX 6MT
Old 01-10-2020, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: Z3, 528i, M5, X5, Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibew595 View Post
BMW has lost their way.

I drove both the A3 and the 428i before I bought mine. the A3 was staid and boring. I prefer the 428i.
2016 428xi coupe
2018 M2
Old 01-11-2020, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 330i
Congratulations on the new job.

I see that you are enthusiastic about a getting another car. However, may I gently inquire as to what is your driving force for doing so? is there something wrong with your current car? Mazda 6 GT have great reviews. Have you considered buying out the lease on your current Mazda 6? The buy out price is not affected by the number of miles.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:52 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Refreshed Audi A4 for MY 2020 is now available in the U.S. market.

Press release: https://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/379

Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 PM
Noah Hoke

Mein Auto: 2014 328i xDrive
I agree - forget brands. Before I signed on my 2014 328i xDrive on Tuesday, I test drove the A4 (2015 Prem. Plus) and the C300 4MATIC. My heart was set on the C300, but it was mostly because it was a BENZ! The 3'er was obviously in my list of cars to look at, and the minute I got behind the wheel I fell in love with it. Not just because it's a BMW, but because I enjoyed driving it, the rather quick pick-up, the features, and how solid it felt. Personally, I love the A4 as I just rented one a few months ago through Silvercar but the 328i definitely pushed me over the edge. I've driven quite a few Germans through friends, family, rental, etc. such as the X3, 535i, C300, A4, Q7, etc. and I based what I liked off of how it drove - not the brand. Go look at the 340i, the A4 or an S4, and go with what you like DRIVING the most. Not what brand you like the most. Congratulations on the new job, and I think the Mazda was a sensible choice when you leased it in the beginning. Mazdas are most definitely underrated. Definitely let us know what you decide!
Old 01-23-2020, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
I agree - forget brands. Before I signed on my 2014 328i xDrive on Tuesday, I test drove the A4 (2015 Prem. Plus) and the C300 4MATIC. My heart was set on the C300, but it was mostly because it was a BENZ! The 3'er was obviously in my list of cars to look at, and the minute I got behind the wheel I fell in love with it. Not just because it's a BMW, but because I enjoyed driving it, the rather quick pick-up, the features, and how solid it felt. Personally, I love the A4 as I just rented one a few months ago through Silvercar but the 328i definitely pushed me over the edge. I've driven quite a few Germans through friends, family, rental, etc. such as the X3, 535i, C300, A4, Q7, etc. and I based what I liked off of how it drove - not the brand. Go look at the 340i, the A4 or an S4, and go with what you like DRIVING the most. Not what brand you like the most. Congratulations on the new job, and I think the Mazda was a sensible choice when you leased it in the beginning. Mazdas are most definitely underrated. Definitely let us know what you decide!
I hear you have to get the engine removed in order to get the TC replaced, if the dealer does it looking at towards $10k area..On another note, my son just bought a 2008 S4 manual and it needed a new steering pump, cost him like $2k at the dealer for that..
Old 01-24-2020, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 328i
Drive them all and choose the one you fall in love with.

Being a VW-head for the last 20 years, I've driven plenty of VW's and Audi's form the dealership. Audi's are nice. But the day I drove a BMW I fell in love (after being irritated with my last Passat), and I traded it for a 2016 CPO 328i. And, man, I'm in love, with a big smile everyday.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 328i

Being a VW-head for the last 20 years, Iíve driven plenty of VWís and Audiís form the dealership. Audiís are nice. But the day I drove a BMW I fell in love (after being irritated with my last Passat), and I traded it for a 2016 CPO 328i. And, man, Iím in love, with a big smile everyday.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner328 View Post

Being a VW-head for the last 20 years, Iíve driven plenty of VWís and Audiís form the dealership. Audiís are nice. But the day I drove a BMW I fell in love (after being irritated with my last Passat), and I traded it for a 2016 CPO 328i. And, man, Iím in love, with a big smile everyday.
Get that Bootmod3, you won't regret it you don't even have to have any FBO's yet; maybe just a muffler delete as an option for more burble sounds and deeper exhaust notes...
Old 01-25-2020, 08:22 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
Please don't defect to Audi. They build great cars. The don't feel like a BMW though, weight -biased canted towards the nose.

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing ē NEW BMW SALES ē email me for a quote: [email protected]

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search