What does M Sport Package mean? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
What does M Sport Package mean?

I just ordered a 2020 M240xi, after getting confused when I could not get answers about the less expensive 230ix. The questions were, do the M models have either dynamic dampers or the new non-adjustable shocks used on the 2020 3 series? Does X-drive change the suspension package? (In the past you could not order the 704 suspension with X-drive.) Do I give up road clearance with the M model? (If so, I could have problems in Massachusetts snow storms.) Is there a difference between the M model, where the BMW site has you start the build, and the M Sport Package, which the site adds if you start with another model and then choose the 18" wheels? Are the packages different on the 230 and the 240?

I have placed my order, and I know that I will enjoy the car. I know that because I ordered something similar to a demonstrator that I drove. Still, I wonder what the answers are, and so I am starting this thread.

Last edited by After Hours; 05-22-2019 at 05:53 PM. Reason: omitted word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 01:51 PM

What I was able to learn was that the M240 and M230 have a number of cosmetic features plus a sport suspension. Car and Driver says that the 2020 track package achieves both good handling and a good ride without electrically adjustable shock absorbers. (As many of you know, BMW has developed shock absorbers that are softer in the mid-range and stiffer at the ends of their range of travel. This is done mechanically, with a portion of the piston entering narrower portions of the cylinder at the extremes. Also, it appears that the sport suspension can now be fitted even with AWD.)

My suspicion is that the bargain model is an M230xi, non-metallic paint, SensaTec upholstery, MSRP $41,850. For luxury, my first two additions would be the Premium package and the Harmon Kardon radio, for an MSRP of $45,225. For those who don't need X-drive, knock off another $2000, so that one could have a very nice new BMW for well under $40.000.

Four of my previous five BMW's had 4-cylinder engines, including my 1968 2002. This time, I became extravagant and ordered the 6 cylinder. Old habits die hard, so that I had questions about the 230i, but then I have reached a point in my life where shopping for bargains is no longer so important. I probably won't have the car until the end of July, but it should be a lot of fun when it does arrive.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:52 PM

What I was able to learn was that the M240 and M230 have a number of cosmetic features plus a sport suspension. Car and Driver says that the 2020 track package achieves both good handling and a good ride without electrically adjustable shock absorbers. (As many of you know, BMW has developed shock absorbers that are softer in the mid-range and stiffer at the ends of their range of travel. This is done mechanically, with a portion of the piston entering narrower portions of the cylinder at the extremes. Also, it appears that the sport suspension can now be fitted even with AWD.)

My suspicion is that the bargain model is an M230xi, non-metallic paint, SensaTec upholstery, MSRP $41,850. For luxury, my first two additions would be the Premium package and the Harmon Kardon radio, for an MSRP of $45,225. For those who don't need X-drive, knock off another $2000, so that one could have a very nice new BMW for well under $40.000.

Four of my previous five BMW's had 4-cylinder engines, including my 1968 2002. This time, I became extravagant and ordered the 6 cylinder. Old habits die hard, so that I had questions about the 230i, but then I have reached a point in my life where shopping for bargains is no longer so important. I probably won't have the car until the end of July, but it should be a lot of fun when it does arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Go find an ordering guide. If you can't find one on BF, other BMW sites should have one. It breaks down what car has what equipment.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:15 AM

Autoputzer, I had looked at BF ordering guides before. I just looked at Bimmerpost's, and I also searched some of the codes (2VF, 704). I learned that dynamic damper control can come with or without M sport suspension. However, the 2020 ordering guides are not available, and comparing the 2019 guides to what the BMW USA site allows me to build suggests that there have been changes.

I am disappointed that it is so difficult to get this information. On the one hand, all of the options that BMW offers on every single model should make it easy to tailor a car to my own tastes. That becomes impossible when the BMW site, my salesman, and posts on sites like this fail to answer questions as basic as, "Which shock absorbers will I get?" BMW could do better.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:15 AM

Autoputzer, I had looked at BF ordering guides before. I just looked at Bimmerpost's, and I also searched some of the codes (2VF, 704). I learned that dynamic damper control can come with or without M sport suspension. However, the 2020 ordering guides are not available, and comparing the 2019 guides to what the BMW USA site allows me to build suggests that there have been changes.

I am disappointed that it is so difficult to get this information. On the one hand, all of the options that BMW offers on every single model should make it easy to tailor a car to my own tastes. That becomes impossible when the BMW site, my salesman, and posts on sites like this fail to answer questions as basic as, "Which shock absorbers will I get?" BMW could do better.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search