Autobahn Package - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)

7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
The next generation G11/G12 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. Unveiled June 10th, with production starting in August the 6th generation 7 Series comes in a light weight package with extensive use of BMW i carbon fiber technology. The interior quality raises the bar with a touch screen and gesture controlled infotainment system. Exterior styling has been a sticking point with mixed reviews so far.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 Ford F350 Limited
Autobahn Package

I see posts saying the autobahn package is very effective - ride and handling are improved.

How long has BMW used the active rear steering? How reliable and durable is it?

4 wheel steering was available in the late 1970's on cars like the Honda Prelude and some Mitsubishi cars. It was discontinued, and I think the reason was durability. It was hard to keep the rear wheels aligned.

I suspect that companies like BMW will have resolved the issues, decades later. It would be good to hear what people think.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI
I was wondering the same thing. I see it on 2016 year models from time to time and wonder if it's worth having.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
You can get 4 wheel steering by ordering the Integral Active steering option. Reduce the turning circle, and IMHO makes the 7 handle more like a 5. Very hard to find one on a lot with this option, though. It needs to be ordered. I would not order a 7 without it aftae rhaving it since Fall of '16. As for the other predictive pieces of the autobahn package, I cannot answer.
Other: '14 F31
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39 and F10), 7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i and 2015 740i
The Autobahn Package consists of two options, Integral Active Steering and Active Comfort Drive.

Integral Active Steering was originally introduced on the F01 as two components, active steering and rear-wheel steering. Active steering used an actuator to amplify steering input at lower speeds and this motor was a source of complaints as it would make a clicking noise as it engages/disengages (most noticeable when stopped at a traffic light and the steering wheel is moved slightly). There was no real solution to this problem as that's just how it operated. Rear-wheel steering used a motor in the rear axle and I don't recall seeing many issues related to this system on the forums.

Active Comfort Drive is a replacement for Active Roll Stabilization that has been on several previous models. Earlier systems used hydraulic pressure to stiffen the roll bars and reduce chassis roll during cornering. Occasionally this has been known to leak hydraulic fluid though I've personally never had any issues with it on my E65.

Now that I've explained how the previous systems worked, here's why none of this is relevant to the G12...

Integral Active Steering drops the active steering component and doesn't use an actuator anymore. Instead, the teeth on the steering rack are more closely spaced towards the center (less direct) and further spaced towards the outside (more direct). This behavior is actually completely opposite of active steering on the F01 when you consider low speed maneuvering. On the G12 without IAS, the steering rack has evenly spaced teeth. Rear-wheel steering is similar to the F01 and uses an electric motor.

Active Comfort Drive uses electric roll stabilizers instead of the hydraulic roll bars on the F01. The road preview part of this system uses navigation data when the drive mode is set to Adaptive, automatically switching between Comfort and Sport, as well as camera information from the front-facing stereo cameras to detect bumps and minimize chassis movement.

With all this technical information out of the way, here's my opinion about the G12 with the Autobahn Package - I still prefer the F01. The main reason why the G12 is so soft is the two-axle air suspension. For the several days that I had the G12, it was in Sport most of the time but I really couldn't feel much of a difference. The IAS was good and does make it handle more like the SWB.

I still haven't gotten a chance to drive a G12 without the Autobahn Package to compare, but it sounds like you're at least interested in improved handling characteristics, so I would definitely say don't worry about reliability too much. Considering that the steering rack no longer has the actuator and the rest of the systems are electric, I would be more concerned about the air suspension than the reliability of these systems.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
It was discontinued, and I think the reason was durability. It was hard to keep the rear wheels aligned.

I suspect that companies like BMW will have resolved the issues, decades later. It would be good to hear what people think.

Thanks!
It was never discontinued, perhaps except the NA market. Honda, Toyota/Lexus and Nissan continued to offer this option domestically and on certain other markets, also improved/refined it over the years. And continue to offer it today.

As far as the G12 goes, no complains about the autobahn package so far. I drove a few vehicles without it, and did not think it was worth switching from my previous F01. The executive drive pro made me to switch, it finally drove and felt like a step up from the previous gen.
Mercedes SL500 1998
Diamond DA40 XLS 2012

Past vehicles: BMW F01 750, BMW E38 740 1999, BMW E92 M3, Audi RS4 2007, Audi A8 2005, Mercedes S500 2001, Lexus LS400 1996, Lexus LS430 2003, Lexus SC400 1996, Acura NSX 1995, Toyota MR2 Turbo 1992, Honda S2000 2004, and just too many more to list
Old 05-21-2019, 06:20 AM

Robin750, thanks for the detailed response!

This will be my first 7 Series, if I actually buy it. My sports car racing days are behind me, but my wife says I still drive aggressively. My hope with the autobahn package is that it makes the car easier to drive in tight quarters, and smooths the bumps in the road without being too floaty. My X5 is fine going to the hardware store, but after 6 or 8 hours of driving it gets tiring.

It is sometimes hard to tell just how some of these systems actually work from reading the manufacturers literature. The sales people sometimes don’t know either, but the forums can really help.

Epiplatys, it is interesting that four-wheel steering is still available elsewhere. There are a number of things available in other countries that cannot be had in the USA. The few cars I saw that feature on were sporty little cars. Maybe it would have been more popular in bigger cars. Hmmm - maybe it would make my Ford F-350 easier to park, with its 177” wheelbase and an overall length that is five feet longer than a 7 Series!

Tomorrow I will be in a town where I can see and drive one of these cars.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Tomorrow I will be in a town where I can see and drive one of these cars.
Do you know if it has the package? If you can drive one with and one without back-to-back, see if you can notice the difference with the steering and body roll.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 AM

The dealer has two 2020 7 Series. I know one of them has the Autobahn package, as the dealer sent me the build sheet. I do not know about the other.

I just asked the salesman if the Autobahn Package is different from the Executive Drive Pro. He did not know.

I see references in this forum to Executive Drive Pro, and it shows up in the on-line owners manual. I think it is the same thing, but I cannot be sure.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I see references in this forum to Executive Drive Pro, and it shows up in the on-line owners manual. I think it is the same thing, but I cannot be sure.
I think it is the name for Active Comfort Drive outside of the US. Which name does the build sheet use?
Old 05-22-2019, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: E350
I have the autobhan package on my G12 and like it. I felt the F01 adaptive suspension was better. The body roll on the G12 is controlled in adaptive mode but F01's system seemed to control the roll more. Also the system seems to flatten the road vibration slightly. I personally would not get a 7 series without the Executive Drive Pro / AutoBahn Package.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 750i
I have the autobahn package and this was my first time experiencing it. At first I didn't know what I didn't know. Driving around I wasn't able to tell as I had never had it, and then going into a car with it, I wasn't sure what to expect. I did notice cars in front of me, if hitting a bump in the road seemed to have a lot more sway and bounce than what I was personally feeling. THEN, I had to get a loaner that didn't have it and that's when I realized how much of a difference in daily driving it made. I especially noticed it going around corners, where with my car I stayed much straighter and in my seat, and in the loaner I was rolling a lot more, and I noticed the bumps much more in the loaner. As for the steering, when hitting a sharp u-turn at low speeds my car feels like its 2 sizes smaller.

Having had it I don't think I would ever go back. It makes a difference and the only way I could tell was driving in my car for two weeks, then returning it and driving the same car without it. It was crazy how different the drive felt.

*Still trying to figure out the raising/lowering function on the car, and why it's there, and what I should do with it...

2017 750i
2015 750i (Lease End)
2013 740 Li (Lease End)
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)

Last edited by Popoemt; 05-22-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 AM

Popoemt, that is helpful information!

I was able to drive a 750 yesterday. Very nice drive? The one with the autobahn package had been sold the day before, unfortunately.

I think I have the otion packages sorted out. Now it is a matter of color.

It appears that colors are very limited if a person selects the M Sport appearance package. I wanted a dark grey, but that is not available. A light-colored headliner has an MSRP OF $5,050, since it requires a $4,000 upholstery upgrade. It is a mystery to me why manufacturers impose these limits, but they all do.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It appears that colors are very limited if a person selects the M Sport appearance package. I wanted a dark grey, but that is not available. A light-colored headliner has an MSRP OF $5,050, since it requires a $4,000 upholstery upgrade. It is a mystery to me why manufacturers impose these limits, but they all do.
I guess they dropped Singapore Grey for the LCI? If you really want a dark grey, you should be able to custom order it though you may have to pay for Individual. I've seen a M Sport F02 LCI in Space Gray before, and that was never offered.

As for the headliner, ask if they can delete the anthracite headliner that comes with M Sport. I've seen some M Sport cars with shadowline delete, which basically adds back the chrome window trim.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: Car
Keep this in mind. According to the owner's manual, Active Comfort Drive / Executive Drive Pro only works when you have the car in ADAPTIVE mode. If you're in Comfort or Sport it won't work. It also may not work in rain, snow, or at night because it's harder for the camera to see bumps ahead of time. If I were ordering one I would save the $3K and just order the Integral Active Steering as a stand alone option instead of the Autobahn Package.

Last edited by 07X3platinum; 06-07-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:30 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07X3platinum View Post
Keep this mind. According to the owner's manual, Active Comfort Drive / Executive Drive Pro only works when you have the car in ADAPTIVE mode. If you're in Comfort or Sport it won't work. It also may not work in rain, snow, or at night because it's harder for the camera to see bumps ahead of time. If I were ordering one I would save the $3K and just order the Integral Active Steering as a stand alone option instead of the Autobahn Package.
This is what I did. IAS is available separately for $1050. Worth every penny and I will order it again on my next.
Other: '14 F31
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39 and F10), 7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Old 06-07-2019, 11:38 AM

I bought the whole Autobahn package. I did not realize the monitoring only works in some modes. I will get an opportunity to check it out, but not until September when the car actually arrives.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Where in the user manual is this stated? I have an electronic version on the BMW User Guide and tried to find that information.

Under the Adaptive mode there is a statement that “If the navigation system is active, upcoming road sections are considered.” That sentence does not appear in the descriptions of the other modes. It is not clear that the camera and adaptive dampers do not work in all modes.

Perhaps someone who has the system can comment?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search