2007 Z4 roadster wont turn over - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:04 PM
BMW Roxxx

Mein Auto: 1999 328i, 2002 X5 3.0i
2007 Z4 roadster wont turn over

Hello everyone. I'm having a no turn over issue with my 2007 BMW Z4 roadster 3.0i. Well....winter hit the area and I knew something(s) was bound to go out soon. Previous owner had a smaller battery (H5) in it when I bought it and today I replaced it with a H7 full size model. After that the car would not turn over. It started ok the night before with the old battery. There was some slight dragging on really cold mornings that I thought might be from the smaller battery due to these cars being rich with electronics. I have strong lights, dash lights, air fan, stereo, etc. When I try to start the car there are no clicks or sounds at the key start position. I tried jumping it in case the new one was low. No change. I tried putting the old battery back in, still no turn over. I tried reprogramming my keys in case it had forgotten them in the disconnect, still no turn over. As far as I can tell my car does not have an alarm/immobilizer. It does flash the lights when locking and unlocking and has a blinking clown nose. But no hood switch or sounds. I checked all the fuses behind the glove box and #32 and #5 are confusing me. The way 5 is made makes it not very checkable and 32 is showing no power. I dont have the fuse card but looking online I found hopefully the correct one. Fuse 5 shows is for the lighter and it works. Fuse 32 is for SMG and I have a 6 speed manual so I am assuming "maybe" all is good there. I'll try to check the clutch switch today but I'm not optimistic.

I'm sure it could be the starter but it seems "odd" it would go out without any major dragging first. Ugh

I need my car!!!!

Any other ideas?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1999 328i - 2002 X5 3.0i - 2007 Z4 3.0i...always in progress.....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited by CrazyOneToo; 11-17-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 3.0si
You may not have the alarm, but the BMW key has an immobilizer feature. Your key may have gotten whacked when the battery was changed. Did you leave your key in the ignition while you were changing the battery, by chance? Do you have another key for your Z4? Does it work? Google "BMW key immobilizer" for tons of info.

Other reasons you can get a "all lights on" but no starter function:
1. Bad starter. Usually you'll see some indication of the starter failing beforehand.
2. Interlock switch. Is the car in Park (automatic) and your foot on the brake when you try to start it? I know, I know, but it has happened before.
3. Faulty ignition switch. This happened to me with my Z4 and it turns out it is a fairly common failure with BMWs. It is a relatively easy DIY fix and the switch part can range from $30-40 (Chinese crap) to $70-$90 (name brand aftermarket) to about $150 (OEM).
Old 11-17-2019, 03:47 PM
BMW Roxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeton View Post
You may not have the alarm, but the BMW key has an immobilizer feature. Your key may have gotten whacked when the battery was changed. Did you leave your key in the ignition while you were changing the battery, by chance? Do you have another key for your Z4? Does it work? Google "BMW key immobilizer" for tons of info.

Other reasons you can get a "all lights on" but no starter function:
1. Bad starter. Usually you'll see some indication of the starter failing beforehand.
2. Interlock switch. Is the car in Park (automatic) and your foot on the brake when you try to start it? I know, I know, but it has happened before.
3. Faulty ignition switch. This happened to me with my Z4 and it turns out it is a fairly common failure with BMWs. It is a relatively easy DIY fix and the switch part can range from $30-40 (Chinese crap) to $70-$90 (name brand aftermarket) to about $150 (OEM).
I cant really remember if the key was in the ignition or not. I doubt it was since I am in the habit of taking them out.
Yes I have another key and it wont work either. I re-initialized them both but no luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 01:16 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
Probably not the issue, but did you fully charge the new battery before installing it? Also, are you sure the H7 is a viable alternative? I thought the two options for this model are the H5 and H6. Can you pull any codes?

Last edited by Z4530i; 11-18-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:41 AM
BMW Roxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4530i View Post
Probably not the issue, but did you fully charge the new battery before installing it? Also, are you sure the H7 is a viable alternative? I thought the two options for this model are the H5 and H6. Can you pull any codes?
Yes it was fully charged. Yes I believe you can use a H5 6 or 7. No code except this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edited.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	872543  

Old 11-18-2019, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
turn over... you playing peekaboo with the car? playing cards with the car, is the car a card?

you must mean start... the car will not start.

Last edited by Cvaria; 11-18-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Just went through the exact same thing, new starter solved the problem.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOneToo View Post
Hello everyone. I'm having a no turn over issue with my 2007 BMW Z4 roadster 3.0i. Well....winter hit the area and I knew something(s) was bound to go out soon. Previous owner had a smaller battery (H5) in it when I bought it and today I replaced it with a H7 full size model. After that the car would not turn over. It started ok the night before with the old battery. There was some slight dragging on really cold mornings that I thought might be from the smaller battery due to these cars being rich with electronics. I have strong lights, dash lights, air fan, stereo, etc. When I try to start the car there are no clicks or sounds at the key start position. I tried jumping it in case the new one was low. No change. I tried putting the old battery back in, still no turn over. I tried reprogramming my keys in case it had forgotten them in the disconnect, still no turn over. As far as I can tell my car does not have an alarm/immobilizer. It does flash the lights when locking and unlocking and has a blinking clown nose. But no hood switch or sounds. I checked all the fuses behind the glove box and #32 and #5 are confusing me. The way 5 is made makes it not very checkable and 32 is showing no power. I dont have the fuse card but looking online I found hopefully the correct one. Fuse 5 shows is for the lighter and it works. Fuse 32 is for SMG and I have a 6 speed manual so I am assuming "maybe" all is good there. I'll try to check the clutch switch today but I'm not optimistic.

I'm sure it could be the starter but it seems "odd" it would go out without any major dragging first. Ugh

I need my car!!!!

Any other ideas?
Same issue here. I solved it by changing the ignition switch. It's pretty easy to DIY.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:12 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
You started your post with replacing the battery because the starter was dragging, so I think you now know it was likely the starter and not the battery. The brushes in the starter wear down over time and as their contact degrades the starter loses torque. At some point the brushes lose contact and the starter is dead. Sometimes a temporary fix is the give the starter a whack to see if the brushes will make contact again. You might have to use some extensions to get down to it, but give the starter a couple whacks and see if you get results.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:41 AM
BMW Roxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
You started your post with replacing the battery because the starter was dragging, so I think you now know it was likely the starter and not the battery. The brushes in the starter wear down over time and as their contact degrades the starter loses torque. At some point the brushes lose contact and the starter is dead. Sometimes a temporary fix is the give the starter a whack to see if the brushes will make contact again. You might have to use some extensions to get down to it, but give the starter a couple whacks and see if you get results.
Yes maybe so but I was trying to make sure before replacing the starter. I mainly replaced the battery because it turned cold in my area and it was a smaller type battery H5 with unknown history. Now it has an H7. I tried giving it a few whacks and nothing changed. On these cars there are alot of things that can stop one from turning over like a bad key, a bad ignition, the immobilizer, etc. And most of those would be cheaper than a starter. My indie came by and checked the starter and he says it is the starter also so I ordered one. I'm going to try to change it out myself without removing the intake manifold. On most other BMW cars I wouldn't but with this Z4 there is alot of hand and removal room. Hopefully it goes smoothly. Thanks

Old 11-28-2019, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
If you DIYS you can save some $$$, my new starter installed by the dealership was close to $800.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:00 PM
BMW Roxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb63 View Post
If you DIYS you can save some $$$, my new starter installed by the dealership was close to $800.
I would never take it to the stealership. I ended up replacing it myself. It wasn't to bad of a job really.
I found a page saying that you could do it without removing the intake manifold. So I did it that way. Worked out great!!!

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=920300

-

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search