Tire bubble(RFT) repair/replace options - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Tire bubble(RFT) repair/replace options

Hey all:

I was at the gas station today and noticed a "bubble" / extrusion on the wall of my front right tire and I have a few questions regarding my options.

It is my understanding that rfts cannot be repaired. Now I do already have an OEM replacement tire in my basement on hand (got a gift certificate from tire rack last Xmas)

I'm wondering if it is bad practice to simply replace just the damaged tire or will that cause an undesirable ride & poor tread wear on my other tires? I'm at 13,000 miles on the original oem tires with average wear for the mileage.

Also, my TPMS has yet to indicate any pressure loss so I was also wondering how long I have before I need to fix this? I only drive the vehicle on the weekends for a distance of at most, 60 miles, in an area with access to roadside assistance.

Obviously I know the tire's integrity has Bern compromised to some extent but Ive lost a lot of work lately and would prefer not to spend money until the summer.

Finally, is the dealer the best place to get this done? Will they mount tires that I don't buy from them? I understand that many tire places still don't know how to deal with RFTs.

Thanks in advance for the help. Hope everyone has a nice holliday.

'08 E90 328i w/ standard (no sports package)
Bridgestone 205/55 protenza RFTs (yuck!)

-mileage: 13,300
-9 months remaining on lease
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 535 xdrive
Since you already have the replacement tire on hand, you might as well install it now to enjoy your car.

Take it to a firestone store to have it mounted. Some of their locations are open on Sundays.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMbmw View Post
Hey all:

I was at the gas station today and noticed a "bubble" / extrusion on the wall of my front right tire and I have a few questions regarding my options.

It is my understanding that rfts cannot be repaired. Now I do already have an OEM replacement tire in my basement on hand (got a gift certificate from tire rack last Xmas)

I'm wondering if it is bad practice to simply replace just the damaged tire or will that cause an undesirable ride & poor tread wear on my other tires? I'm at 13,000 miles on the original oem tires with average wear for the mileage.

Also, my TPMS has yet to indicate any pressure loss so I was also wondering how long I have before I need to fix this? I only drive the vehicle on the weekends for a distance of at most, 60 miles, in an area with access to roadside assistance.

Obviously I know the tire's integrity has Bern compromised to some extent but Ive lost a lot of work lately and would prefer not to spend money until the summer.

Finally, is the dealer the best place to get this done? Will they mount tires that I don't buy from them? I understand that many tire places still don't know how to deal with RFTs.

Thanks in advance for the help. Hope everyone has a nice holliday.

'08 E90 328i w/ standard (no sports package)
Bridgestone 205/55 protenza RFTs (yuck!)

-mileage: 13,300
-9 months remaining on lease
your car doesnt have potenzas if you dont have sport package, they're turanzas.

that sidewall can give out without warning, you'll likely find an internal tear inside the tire.
a sidewall tear like that cannot be repaired, runflat or not.
just replace it

roadside assist will bring you to the dealer which may or may not be open, and they'll bill you for a new tire at BMW rates.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Past: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Past: 2016 F34 335i xDrive ZCW/ZDA/ZDH/ZTP/ZMP/2V5/5DL
Present: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto:
thanks; I actually have a replacement tire though. And yes, I do have Turanzas, my mistake. I'm actually more concerned about any uneven tread wear to any of the older tires if I only replace the front one. Any comments?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
You may get slight pulling towards the side of the new tire if the tread depths are different. If you have a non staggered setup, you can install the new tire in the rear to minimize that effect.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Certified Lunatic

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
Do not drive on that tire! It will be dangerous for you, your car, and those around you!

2001 325XIT Titanium Silver (gone)
1990 K75 paint code 666 (gone)
1973 R75/5 toaster Curry Orange (gone)
1997 F150 Midnight Blue
2004 R1150RS
2006 X3 MT Silver Gray, Loaded

Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You may get slight pulling towards the side of the new tire if the tread depths are different. If you have a non staggered setup, you can install the new tire in the rear to minimize that effect.

Gary - can you explain the staggered setup a bit more for me? to minimize the pulling, would putting my current two rear tires up front and putting two brand new tires on the back help?

Also - can anyone recommend a place other than a dealer to get the work done in the NYC area? I've called two local places and they told me that they don't work with RFTs b/c the rims get easily damaged...
Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
If you do not have a staggered setup (in other words, if all four of your tires are the same size) you could install the new tire in the rear to minimize pulling. If you replace two tires put the new ones in the rear.

Link to our installer search : http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&...ller/index.jsp
Old 04-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMbmw View Post
Gary - can you explain the staggered setup a bit more for me? to minimize the pulling, would putting my current two rear tires up front and putting two brand new tires on the back help?

Also - can anyone recommend a place other than a dealer to get the work done in the NYC area? I've called two local places and they told me that they don't work with RFTs b/c the rims get easily damaged...
where in NYC?
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Past: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Past: 2016 F34 335i xDrive ZCW/ZDA/ZDH/ZTP/ZMP/2V5/5DL
Present: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
flat tire, replacement, run flats

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Today's Posts Search