complete coolant flush - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)

E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by a naturaly aspirated inline 6 in the 128 or the turbo twin power inline 6 rocket sled 135.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:25 AM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
complete coolant flush

couple of questions, not sure if I asked this before,

128i 114k (had since 22k, no coolant flush ever done)

* Does doing a complete coolant flush, stop or help to avoid the dreaded water pump failure ?

* Does using anything other than approved BMW coolant or coolant that meets BMW spec, cause or hasten water pump failure

* am I def going to have a water pump failure ? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 06:11 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I do not believe that a coolant flush of the proper coolant causes or prevents a water pump failure. I believe that wrong incompatible coolant anti-corrosion chemicals damage the elastomer seals in the coolant system including the packing of the water pump.

The mechanical water pump is quite conventional except that it does not have an adjustable packing. ALL mechanical water pumps packing seals are lubricated and cooled by the pumped liquid weeping / leaking through the packing.

Bearing life in entirely a matter of load on the bearings.

I'm at ~92K miles and will have the idler pulley bolt recall performed in a few weeks that requires the same access as the WP and I am on the horns of that dilemma. I have no evidence of failing bearings or packing on the existing pump and am loathe to fix / replace what ain't broke and may be the exceptional lifetime water pump. We'll see.

In my work, proper adjustment of mechanical packing was a very contentious issue. We had four 200 Hp multistage 600# discharge pumps from which we collected the leak off water to sell as unmetered bathing water. It was free while everything was fine and 25-cents a gallon while we were on water hours.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:17 AM
where da clutch at ?

"I believe that wrong incompatible coolant anti-corrosion chemicals damage the elastomer seals in the coolant system including the packing of the water pump."

so would that not illicit the notorious failure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 04:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Anecdotally, I've come to the conclusion that water pump failures were common on early N52/N51 engines but are not so common on later builds. I have 125K on mine.
I'm also convinced that "common" failures aren't as common as the stories you read on the internet will lead you to believe.
EX. I have a 2003 R53 which I bought new. According to the internet this is the most unreliable car on the planet. Not mine apparently, it's been pretty reliable.
I had an E46 with 140K on the original cooling system (water pump, radiator, expansion tank, hoses, etc.) This is IMPOSSIBLE if you head over the E46 section of this forum.
I'm not that lucky of a person to be an outlier in these regards.

As for flushing the system, I've read some pretty wonky tech articles on organic acid corrosion inhibitors in automotive coolant (like BMW coolant). It's very different from old school corrosion inhibitors, the electrolytes don't degrade or get consumed over time so there's no real need to flush the system regularly (GM dexcool is an exception).

Last edited by mr_bean; 02-28-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:37 AM
where da clutch at ?

txs mr.bean !

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
4k4

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search