Popping noise coming from front end when turning wheel, especially at incline or decl - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)

X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
G05 BMW X5 produced between 2018 to Current. Discuss the G05 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:07 AM

Mein Auto:
Popping noise coming from front end when turning wheel, especially at incline or decl

Hello All, I'm new to this forum. I currently own a 2019 X5 40i. I purchased this vehicle in November of 2018 and I'm a daily freeway driver with 27k miles on it already. I noticed a few times coming down my driveway at decline that when I make a turn to go into my garage I sometimes here a popping noise coming from the front of the vehicle, almost sounds like the ball joints (i don't know much about cars and mechanics). I've taken it to my local dealer 3 times. First time they advised that they didn't hear anything. Second time I went on a test drive and didn't hear it on the road test but heard it a few days later. Third time I took it in and they came back with body movement and so they put tape around some areas of the body. I knew that was not true because I've been hearing it so often.
I decided to call bmw directly to voice my concerns about this problem, they stated that I should take it to another dealership and compare the results to my previous visits. I recently took it to the next dealership in a nearby city for my ambient lighting not working on my doors and had them check out the squeaky brakes (which I heard is a common x5 issue with no resolution) and told them about the popping noise.

They kept my car for about a week and told me to come in since it was ready. One of the machanics told me that when I arrive I should of a road test because he didn't hear anything as well. I got to the dealership and took it to some of the spots where I've personally heard the noise and was nearby the dealership. Of course a few time going in and out of the gas station with an incline entrance and nothing. I told him let's go around the block and try it again. I decided to go into a driveway before going back to the gas station and BAM, we both heard it 2 times, going into the driveway and once over a speed bump. The mechanic told me that's all I need to hear, we have to get this fixed.

On the way back to the dealership, he advised me that he couldn't pin point the problem without looking underneath. It's going to be at bmw for a few more days.

Has anyone else had this problem? Since I drive it a lot, I want to make sure I address any issues before my warranty is over.

I appreciate any info on this.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Yes, I had this same issue on mine after they replaced the front right axle. it isn't torqued properly and the notches that lock into the wheel are skipping.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
Today's Posts Search