convert BMW music to mp3? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > F90 M5 (2018 - current)

F90 M5 (2018 - current)
The 6th generation F90 M5 based on the G30 5 Series platform is coming soon!

Old 06-01-2018, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto:
convert BMW music to mp3?

My uncle gave me a USB key with all of the music from his previous 2014 m5. He would like to put all the music onto his new car (that is not a BMW) so I would like to know how I would get the music into mp3 or WAV format as I'm sure you all know BMW has their own music file type. I attached a picture of what the folder looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	277
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	798744  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 04:24 PM
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'

Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
Those three files don't look like audio files to me. A file with the UPD format/extension is more commonly known as program update information files. These .upd files are text documents, and its content can be viewed by any text editing or word processing application. I believe that the "swdl.iso" file is a software update to enable Siri Eyes Free for an iPhone; holding down the Voice Recognition button on the steering wheel for a few seconds will enable it the same as holding the home key on your iPhone, then just ask Siri to do whatever it is you want.
Music files are protected with special software (Linux based?) in the vehicle, so when the music files are backed up to a USB drive, they're converted to a new format and renamed with the .BR5 (and/or possibly .BR4 & .BR3) file extension. These files are meant to be restored back to the hard drive of the car (meaning essentially that they are only backups), and not meant to be opened on a computer and played back like you would with an MP3 file. In other words, although BMW provides a way to back up your music collection in case the car's hard drive is going to be wiped, the only thing you can do with them is to load them back onto the hard drive for playback in the (BMW) car. I couldn't find an available converter...sorry.

It's not really yours until you void the warranty.

Last edited by Ridin'Dirty; 06-02-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Researched Follow-Up
Old 06-10-2018, 11:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 540xi msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuss View Post
My uncle gave me a USB key with all of the music from his previous 2014 m5. He would like to put all the music onto his new car (that is not a BMW) so I would like to know how I would get the music into mp3 or WAV format as I'm sure you all know BMW has their own music file type. I attached a picture of what the folder looks like.
Had a similar problem and bought BRx Konverter. It worked fine. I was able to convert .br* files to mp3 extensions. License is $17, well worth it. Download the free version and give it a shot before you purchase.

https://www.matthiasrebbe.eu/software/brx/

--------------------------
Current: 2018 540xi msport
Prior: 2015 BMW 528xi msport
Prior: 2012 BMW 528xi

Last edited by kidrock; 06-10-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 02:48 AM

Mein Auto:
The BMW from 2014 has the function to play music in many formats so even in mp3 or wav you should not have a problem but your file does not look like any audio files. I used to listen to music from my phone and I connect my phone via Bluetooth. All my music is downloaded from youtube and I have never had a problem with the quality of song or problem with downloading. I use the most useful site which has a free and easy way to download youtube to mp3 converter.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
convert, mp3, music, wav

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > F90 M5 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search